Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
stromaroma
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
4 months ago

I never thought I'd say this, but I may get into FX. The economical D600/610 option may sway me. I played with a friend's D700 with 24-70 a couple months ago and man was that sweet. There was something magical about setting it to 2.8 and just taking random shots and them all turning out eye poppingly amazing. It put my V1 images into perspective, in terms of DOF and DR. I try and try to take great shots with that camera but outside, it just doesn't compare to what no effort on a D700 will do. But I have a few issues.

1) Firstly, I know I can get a used D600 with or without the new shutter for a good price. However, in my experience, sending things in for repairs usually results in a screw up somehow. I'm not impressed with Nikon service. For an extra $400 it might just be worth buying a D610 instead, and then I'd also be able to play with the actual unit in hand to ensure there are no focus or other issues before buying. How long does this D600 shutter replacement go for before it isn't warranted?

2) Secondly, I see that it has only a 1/4000 sec max shutter speed. I am scratching my head over this. I rarely shoot that high anyways, but maybe with a hummingbird it might come up as an issue. Does anyone else find this low max shutter speed to be a problem?

3) I read that the 35 f/1.8 DX works on FX with minimal vignetting. Is this true? Can vignetting be easily corrected in PP? I guess that's a software-specific question, I use CNX2. I really like that little lens and for DOF blur it's great. I guess I could put it on DX crop mode and still enjoy the DOF advantages of FX versus DX.

4) I'll still use my D300, D7000, and V1 as well. The thing is, I do lots of wilderness travelling and I know this setup would be heavy but for a kayak it's manageable. I can't change lenses in the field. So I'd pair my D7000 with the Sigma 10-20. The D610 would get the 35 f/1.8 (now that would be some blurry bokeh!), or maybe the 24-85 VR if I elect to shell out an additional $550 which I'd rather not do, although it seems like a good lens. The D300 would probably get the 300 f4 AF-S with 1.4 TC for wildlife. I have a nice buffer with the D300, I love shooting wildlife with that camera, even if the high ISO performance may be lagging behind nowadays. The V1 would get the 70-300 VR for ultimate reach. Funny how the FX 70-300 would go on the V1, but that's just how it goes... but it could also go on the D610 if desired.

But now I hear of a new D810 (too much for me but maybe it will result in sales on the D610?), a D9300 (that one may interest me but the D300 still does its job well), and D7200 (no interest as the D7000 is just fine for its purpose). Will these introductions result in some decent sales do you think? Should I wait for the D810 announcement?

Mostly just pondering my options.

PS the other thing that really perked my interest was that the EN-EL 15 battery would work for all these cameras except the D300! It's a big deal when you need to lug extra batteries and chargers around the boonies, to have all one battery type.

-- hide signature --
 stromaroma's gear list:stromaroma's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Selander
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting into FX but have a few reservations
In reply to stromaroma, 4 months ago

stromaroma wrote:

I never thought I'd say this, but I may get into FX.

Good for you!

1) Firstly, I know I can get a used D600 with or without the new shutter for a good price. However, in my experience, sending things in for repairs usually results in a screw up somehow. I'm not impressed with Nikon service. For an extra $400 it might just be worth buying a D610 instead, and then I'd also be able to play with the actual unit in hand to ensure there are no focus or other issues before buying. How long does this D600 shutter replacement go for before it isn't warranted?

No idea, I'm sure a quick google search can give you the answer.

2) Secondly, I see that it has only a 1/4000 sec max shutter speed. I am scratching my head over this. I rarely shoot that high anyways, but maybe with a hummingbird it might come up as an issue. Does anyone else find this low max shutter speed to be a problem?

It can be an issue if you want to shoot at big apertures during daytime. If you love doing that, then it might be easier to invest in a good ND filter.

3) I read that the 35 f/1.8 DX works on FX with minimal vignetting. Is this true? Can vignetting be easily corrected in PP? I guess that's a software-specific question, I use CNX2. I really like that little lens and for DOF blur it's great. I guess I could put it on DX crop mode and still enjoy the DOF advantages of FX versus DX.

The vignetting depends on the aperture used and how closely you focus the lens. At f/8 and infinity, it produces some awful vignetting that could be tough to correct in PP. I would probably suggest investing in an FX prime, such as the 28/1,8G or 35/1,8G.

Selander's gear list:Selander's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,246Gear list
Like?

stromaroma wrote:
--
http://markbc.net/

If you shoot in DX mode, your DOF will be just like any other DX body. Others have reported pretty decent results shooting with that lens in 1.2 crop mode. In my opinion, if you are going to get an FX body, you should get at least one good lens to go with it. Why spend that much on a camera and shoot with a lens that limits its output?

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

I never thought I'd say this, but I may get into FX. The economical D600/610 option may sway me. I played with a friend's D700 with 24-70 a couple months ago and man was that sweet. There was something magical about setting it to 2.8 and just taking random shots and them all turning out eye poppingly amazing. It put my V1 images into perspective, in terms of DOF and DR. I try and try to take great shots with that camera but outside, it just doesn't compare to what no effort on a D700 will do. But I have a few issues.

Not surprised, the D700 is a very fine body.

1) Firstly, I know I can get a used D600 with or without the new shutter for a good price. However, in my experience, sending things in for repairs usually results in a screw up somehow. I'm not impressed with Nikon service. For an extra $400 it might just be worth buying a D610 instead, and then I'd also be able to play with the actual unit in hand to ensure there are no focus or other issues before buying.

If it were me, I'd go with a new one with its warrantee. If you have trouble with a used one, it'll cost you more than $400 in time and stress.

best of luck!

glo

Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 434
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

I think for high speed photography, using flash to freeze motion is a much better option. Google search will give you lots of info.

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,103Gear list
Like?

In no particular order...

If you're still in contact with the friend with the D700, slap your 35 1.8 DX on it and see what you think of the vignetting. Personally I'd drop the $100 or so on a used 50 1.8 AFD instead of using a DX lens.

if you're worried about the 1/4000 shutter speed for bokeh purposes, don't. The D610 has a native ISO of 100 and can drop down to ISO 50 -- that puts it on a par with what you could get with a D700 or D3s which have native ISOs of 200 that can drop down to 100.

Don't buy a $2,000 camera based on a $50 battery.

Good luck with your choice.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
stromaroma
Like?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Regarding the 24-85 lens, I hear conflicting things about it. Thom Hogan says it's good but then I see other people saying it has poor bokeh and distortion. Is it worth it do you think to drop the $550 on it? That's quite a bit of money for a kit lens and I was hoping to get some nice DOF subject isolation and this lens doesn't seem to be able to deliver that well. I could get one of the numerous primes as mentioned but I also like having some zoom ability.

-- hide signature --
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

Regarding the 24-85 lens, I hear conflicting things about it. Thom Hogan says it's good but then I see other people saying it has poor bokeh and distortion. Is it worth it do you think to drop the $550 on it? That's quite a bit of money for a kit lens and I was hoping to get some nice DOF subject isolation and this lens doesn't seem to be able to deliver that well.

$500 is quite cheap for a modern zoom. Even more expensive lenses of that type are not without compromises, you'll struggle to find a mid-range zoom without distortion.

Look elsewhere for your shallow-DOF needs. Slow mid-range zoom is not what I'd want for that purpose.

Also, I wouldn't buy 35/1.8 DX to use on a full frame.

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,103Gear list
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

Regarding the 24-85 lens, I hear conflicting things about it. Thom Hogan says it's good but then I see other people saying it has poor bokeh and distortion. Is it worth it do you think to drop the $550 on it? That's quite a bit of money for a kit lens and I was hoping to get some nice DOF subject isolation and this lens doesn't seem to be able to deliver that well. I could get one of the numerous primes as mentioned but I also like having some zoom ability.

-- hide signature --

In many ways I agree with the above poster, you really need primes for the whole bokeh thing -- or bite the bullet on 2.8 zooms. If your photography is a business then tools -- regardless of cost -- are priceless because they help you do your job. If it's a hobby then modern toys are costly.

At the same time, there are no absolutes. I may prefer, say, only a portion of a face be sharp for pleasing portrait, others may prefer a tack sharp image from nose tip to the back of the head.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

-- hide signature --

I have a D800. I use the 24-85 most of the time. When I want more control over Dof I use my 50mm or 85mm. To get good out of focus areas you need a lens based on f2.8 or better. This allows you to sharpen the lens up at around f3.5 for a bit more DoF to make sure the subject is in focus.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Jrkahuna
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

Here are my two cents

1) if you go full frame go all the way and don't use the 35 mm DX on it. I agree it is a phenomenal lens but it is built for a DX not FX. Kinda pointless in my view to upgrade to a full frame and not take advantage of the whole sensor which is really the point of going full frame. Spring for one of the 50 mm. If price is an issue, the 50 mm f/1.8D is a fine lens and you can pick it up for under $200

2) as for shooting at shutter speeds of 1/4000, I am far from an expert but I suspect that it is more marketing hype than improvement in performance. I shoot sports regularly and I don't think I have ever gone above 1/640 which stops the action pretty well.

Good luck with your decision. I know it can be guy wrenching but I think we make it harder than it actually is and I am just as bad as anyone.

Jrkahuna's gear list:Jrkahuna's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
stromaroma
Like?

I got a body-only D610 yesterday. This is a lot of fun! I'll try to post some photos. I love it with the DX 35 f/1.8. It is sharp even wide open. The vignetting is there but not too obtrusive most of the time. The other thing is that I could crop to a different aspect ratio afterwards in PP and still be able to get edge to edge coverage, from either top to bottom or left to right, but not both. Also I could crop 4:3 and because the vignetting doesn't go in too far from the corners I'd still get much more frame area than the automatic DX crop mode gives you. In other words, this little lens is bigger than a DX lens but smaller than an FX lens, most of the time.

I know, a 50 mm FX prime is pretty cheap... we'll see, but for now I like this little DX 35 f/1.8 on it.

I couldn't justify the 24-85. I'm sure it's a good walkaround lens but the purpose of getting into FX is primarily for DOF isolation (and high DR and ISO are a bonus). So for walkaround I'd just use DX, might as well use my 18-105 DX lens.

For wide angle I'll have my D7000 with Sigma 10-20 which is great at "eleven". 11mm at f/11 gives nice sharp results. For longer focal length zoom I'll have my 70-300 VR on the V1 which isn't the greatest lens ever but probably good enough. If I want some longer length subject isolation I can put my 300 f/4 on the D610.

And just now I encountered the 1/4000 limitation. I was shooting my dog on the sundeck in the sun (brown dog on brown deck) and to get some subject isolation I opened it up and I hit the limit even at ISO 100. I'd rather not get a ND filter as more glass in the way just degrades IQ. Oh well, it wasn't too overexposed.

When shooting wildlife I always try to shoot at least 1/1000 to freeze action. This is with the 300 f/4 AF-S and because of this I don't mind not having VR on that lens. Actually it makes it cheaper and smaller and lighter... also wildlife shooting will be with the D300 anyways.

Yes it's always so hard to make these choices. There just isn't the perfect complement of gear out there.

-- hide signature --
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,757Gear list
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

I got a body-only D610 yesterday. This is a lot of fun! I'll try to post some photos. I love it with the DX 35 f/1.8. It is sharp even wide open. The vignetting is there but not too obtrusive most of the time. The other thing is that I could crop to a different aspect ratio afterwards in PP and still be able to get edge to edge coverage, from either top to bottom or left to right, but not both. Also I could crop 4:3 and because the vignetting doesn't go in too far from the corners I'd still get much more frame area than the automatic DX crop mode gives you. In other words, this little lens is bigger than a DX lens but smaller than an FX lens, most of the time.

I know, a 50 mm FX prime is pretty cheap... we'll see, but for now I like this little DX 35 f/1.8 on it.

I couldn't justify the 24-85. I'm sure it's a good walkaround lens but the purpose of getting into FX is primarily for DOF isolation (and high DR and ISO are a bonus). So for walkaround I'd just use DX, might as well use my 18-105 DX lens.

I've read this entire thread.  From your posts I can't tell if you understand what shooting DX on a full frame sensor means.  Above you talk about the reason for upgrading to FX is to get the shallow DOF.  Then you go on to talk about using DX crop mode.  That makes no sense at all.  If you shoot DX mode on an FX sensor you will get exactly the DOF that you got on your DX body.  In other words, no point to upgrading to FX.  You say the same thing in an earlier post where you talk about using your 35mm DX lens in DX mode.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
wideangleprime
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, 4 months ago

One of the factors that determine DoF is distance from subject. The closer you are, the shallower the DoF. This is why macros have such a shallow DoF, because you get really close to fill the frame with a small subject.

Using a DX lens on an FX body gives you the exact same DoF as on a DX body. The only advantage you get from the FX body is higher dynamic range and better low light performance, NOT shallower DoF.

You can test this by shooting the same subject with your 35mm on your D7000 and on your D610. You will see that, because you're using the FX sensor in DX crop mode, the D610 will not allow you to shoot closer for the same framing and the DoF won't be any shallower compared to that obtained using the D7000.

OTOH, using an FX prime like the 50mm 1.8G, that WOULD give you shallower DoF on the D610 compared to the D7000.

wideangleprime's gear list:wideangleprime's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S4000
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,237Gear list
Like?

Dude, you think too hard. Just buy the D610 already...

If you are thinking of switching to FX, details like a 1/4000 shutter speed should be the last thing you are thinking of.

stromaroma wrote:

4) I'll still use my D300, D7000, and V1 as well. The thing is, I do lots of wilderness travelling and I know this setup would be heavy but for a kayak it's manageable. I can't change lenses in the field. So I'd pair my D7000 with the Sigma 10-20. The D610 would get the 35 f/1.8 (now that would be some blurry bokeh!), or maybe the 24-85 VR if I elect to shell out an additional $550 which I'd rather not do, although it seems like a good lens. The D300 would probably get the 300 f4 AF-S with 1.4 TC for wildlife. I have a nice buffer with the D300, I love shooting wildlife with that camera, even if the high ISO performance may be lagging behind nowadays. The V1 would get the 70-300 VR for ultimate reach. Funny how the FX 70-300 would go on the V1, but that's just how it goes... but it could also go on the D610 if desired.

But now I hear of a new D810 (too much for me but maybe it will result in sales on the D610?), a D9300 (that one may interest me but the D300 still does its job well), and D7200 (no interest as the D7000 is just fine for its purpose). Will these introductions result in some decent sales do you think? Should I wait for the D810 announcement?

Mostly just pondering my options.

PS the other thing that really perked my interest was that the EN-EL 15 battery would work for all these cameras except the D300! It's a big deal when you need to lug extra batteries and chargers around the boonies, to have all one battery type.

-- hide signature --
 Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,108Gear list
Like?

stromaroma wrote:

Interesting way of phrasing this.

Is this partially because back in the day, Nikon brainwashed its customers into thinking DX was good enough for general photography? Before I purchased my first (D)SLR in 2003, my research (reading stuff and opinions on the internet) found two divergent viewpoints on sensor size from the Canon and Nikon companies and their users. Canon already had the only FF camera on the market with indications that an affordable version would be forthcoming (which came 2 years later) while the general opinion here was that Nikon would not be offering FX and the general concensus "who needed FF anyway". I decided on Canon because I wanted to eventually be shooting with a camera with the original 35mm format (for some of the very reasons you state here and more) and there was little hope in 2003 of Nikon going to FF in their DSLRs (when Nikon and its users caved 4-5 years later).

It seems to me that $400 is a paltry sum for stepping over the problems of the D600. I'd give $250 for an unfixed D600 and that's about all.

There are advantages to 1/8000 especially if you are going for shallow DoF at midday but here is where it is helpful to me. For hiking, handheld shooting and very early mornings in nature, I set up the cam with ISO 800 to get my shutter speeds up. As the day wears on, I need to reduce that ISO until I am shooting ISO 100. Also, I bracket everything (5 shots minimum) and sometimes shoot in SS priority. However, being enamored with the nature around me, I sometimes forget to adjust my ISO on a timely basis, and I end up with shots exceeding 1/4000 and as it turns out, some of those shots have ended up being the best exposure from the given bracket. If I had been limited to 1/4000, all shots that would have been 1/5000 or whatever would have gotten 1/4000 and if the image was a keeper otherwise, I would be forced into more radical PPing than I want to use. Of course during image reviews when I start seeing 1/8000 popping up, I immediately reduce ISO.

Yes, this all comes from user error but if you can say you shoot 100% without error, then you may not need this capability as an occasional bacon-saver.

It is one of those features that a motto in my signature applies to: It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Would I base an entire camera on this feature alone? No!

3) I read that the 35 f/1.8 DX works on FX with minimal vignetting. Is this true? Can vignetting be easily corrected in PP? I guess that's a software-specific question, I use CNX2.

Some vignetting is easily correctable but I for one believe that less is more when it comes to correcting lens aberrations in software.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Roy LaFaver
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, 4 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

Is this partially because back in the day, Nikon brainwashed its customers into thinking DX was good enough for general photography? Before I purchased my first (D)SLR in 2003, my research (reading stuff and opinions on the internet) found two divergent viewpoints on sensor size from the Canon and Nikon companies and their users. Canon already had the only FF camera on the market with indications that an affordable version would be forthcoming (which came 2 years later) while the general opinion here was that Nikon would not be offering FX and the general concensus "who needed FF anyway". I decided on Canon because I wanted to eventually be shooting with a camera with the original 35mm format (for some of the very reasons you state here and more) and there was little hope in 2003 of Nikon going to FF in their DSLRs (when Nikon and its users caved 4-5 years later).

How do you extrapolate this from that?

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,108Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roy LaFaver, 4 months ago

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

I think it is pretty self-evident if your first language is English. Troll elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Roy LaFaver
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
In reply to Rick Knepper, 4 months ago

Rick Knepper wrote:

Roy LaFaver wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

stromaroma wrote:

I think it is pretty self-evident if your first language is English. Troll elsewhere.

-- hide signature --

Not trolling. The OP expressed surprise he is considering FX. I assume he has been happy with DX and did not think he would ever want anything different. You chose to grab an opportunity out of the blue to go off on Nikon, past and present. I notice that for serious stuff you have Nikon. If there has been brainwashing, and if people are susceptible, you might consider that you have a $3500 Canon with old sensor technology that cannot match IQ of a camera you say is worth only $250. Ironic, to say the least. So who is the troll here?

Terry Geig
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Turns out 2 of my 3 lenses
In reply to j_photo, 4 months ago

are FX! I had no idea. So that's when I decided to go with the 610. Every aspect of this camera waaay outshines my old D2X...

Terry Geig's gear list:Terry Geig's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads