somethings just belong together

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
somethings just belong together
3 months ago

for a very long time I have shot with my NEX-7 and the sigma 30mm f/2.8. it was and is a great setup and I could have shot with it forever, but I have to admit that the lens seemed to not belong on the body. The NEX-7 is, in my opinion a work of art, well built, just perfect for me. The lens on the other hand worked great, but it just seemed cheap

well today I received a Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 touit for my birthday from my work. All I can say is WOW - this lens is the lens that was born to me the normal lens for the NEX-7 the build and feel - - - perfect

this is my first test snap - my granddaughter jumped into a bush when she saw me with the camera and said - "I'm a flower grandpa - take my picture"

look at the eyes

-- hide signature --

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind - always

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edwardaneal
Like?
Re: somethings just belong together
In reply to edwardaneal, 3 months ago

my quick edit / crop

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?

edwardaneal wrote:

for a very long time I have shot with my NEX-7 and the sigma 30mm f/2.8. it was and is a great setup and I could have shot with it forever, but I have to admit that the lens seemed to not belong on the body. The NEX-7 is, in my opinion a work of art, well built, just perfect for me. The lens on the other hand worked great, but it just seemed cheap

well today I received a Zeiss 32mm f/1.8 touit for my birthday from my work. All I can say is WOW - this lens is the lens that was born to me the normal lens for the NEX-7 the build and feel - - - perfect

this is my first test snap - my granddaughter jumped into a bush when she saw me with the camera and said - "I'm a flower grandpa - take my picture"

look at the eyes

-- hide signature --

Nice.. I may seem odd but there is something engaging that transfers to when you are taking a shot with this lens. Thanks for posting,

-- hide signature --
philip pj
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
In reply to HSway, 3 months ago

A lot of people don't see the extra that Zeiss brings to the table, image wise, sadly; so they end up with Sigmas and the like. The cheap Japanese makers typically downplay the essential elements of character and for want of a better word - style. They can be technically good - if often overly complex - but rather dull nonetheless.

And the Zeiss lenses are just made so well, such fine materials, so they dress up all our cameras both ways. This may not be your last Zeiss purchase. I have eight of them, from 21mm to 100-300mm. Most are 15-20 years old and work and feel like new, show me a Tamron or Sigma etc. from that era, like that. Many older Nikon zooms feel and sound like chaff cutters, sloppy mechs, worn finish.

philip pj
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
In reply to philip pj, 3 months ago

Saw your last sentence, was going to mention something similar:

My lenses  have to give me that tingly feeling and get me out of bed and looking forward to the day. I shoot better with them, try harder and for longer, shoot more, get more keepers and A images. If they don't make me feel that way, they are out the door.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439Gear list
Like?

Wait, you get lenses for your birthday from your colleagues? Can I have your job??

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
HSway
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to philip pj, 3 months ago

I purchased the Sigma 50/1.4 A a few days ago and have to say that Sigma lens evolution steep curve has reached some very distinct form and that goes for the design and the feel of the lens as well. It’s as if you feel the properties of the lens coming through on the outside. I also have the little Sigma 60/2.8 A and it is a very solid work for cca £160 I paid. Optically this one is also an exemplary f2.8 design. I would like to see what you say having the 50/1.4 A in hands. That lens feels like a piece of crystal, and not only because it’s very heavy for its size, it does exactly what you describe in that way how it connects with the picture taking craft. My 14-24, 24-70, 70-200/4 VR Nikkors feel different, have a different Nikon soul.

The latest Zeiss additions of Touit and Otus lines have more organic design embedded into the body. You see it at the first sight http://www.dpreview.com/products/zeiss

They were given name of birds and the forms really remind of that neat by the evolution moulded shapes you see with the tropical and other birds. the name also interesting: "...we have decided to derive these family names from the Latin names for birds, which we find appropriate because birds generally have excellent eyesight, take in extraordinary perspectives, are flexible and enjoy life. Furthermore, the names sound nice and are generally compatible in many different languages and cultures. The name Touit – like the new ZEISS lenses for mirrorless system cameras – stands for good vision, agility, mobility and versatility. " say Zeiss people.

Back to the design, I am noticing these features are parallel for these lines, Otus

source: fstoppers.com

Touit

source: Bestchannel.pro

it was a bit of work to find pictures including the hoods.

And yes, no denying the strong connection between the tool and the character having its influence - going back thousands of years.

-- hide signature --
edwardaneal
Like?
In reply to quezra, 3 months ago

quezra wrote:

Wait, you get lenses for your birthday from your colleagues? Can I have your job??

10 years ago for my 50th they started me in this with the gift of a Nikon D70 and for my 25th anniversary on the job they gave me the NEX-7

if you want my job you will have to become an enrolled actuary and then wait a few years until I retire

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads