Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Jzpunltd
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
5 months ago

I currently have the Nikon 50 1.8G and while it does a great job for what it is a nifty fifty

I'm looking for a different 50mm lens.

I ran into the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 Nokton and I really liked the images and the Bokeh.

Anybody out there have the Voigtlander Nokton? Are you happy with bokeh on your nikon as well as color rendition and sharpness?

I will be using it with the DF and D800 and I'm aware that is manual focus.

My other choice would be the Sigma 50 1.4 Art but sharpness is not the main objective with my next 50mm mostly bokeh and color rendition as well.

Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ProstheticEmpathy
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Nifty Fifty Voigtlander 58mm vs Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
In reply to Jzpunltd, 5 months ago

I have the Voigtlander and Nikon 50mm 1.8G but I don't have the Sigma Art, so I can't make a direct comparison between those. Compared to the 50mm 1.8G the Voigtlander has a more pleasant rendering and character, much superior bokeh and its images look less clinical. However, I would not say that it is much sharper than the 1.8G. Wide open it has fairly good resolution, but the contrast is quite low and it has some veiling haze evident across the frame. I shot both lenses side by side quite extensively at a family event last year and, aside from those which missed focus, the Voigtlander shots were more appealing in every case.

From what I have read about it, the Sigma would have much better performance wide open at 1.4 and by most accounts it seems like no slouch when it comes to bokeh and colour rendering. Undoubtedly the Sigma is the better lens by technical measures. While the Voigtlander is slightly better than the Zeiss 50 1.4, the Sigma is closer to the Otus. However, if sharpness is not a main consideration, the Voigtlander can probably give it some competition and is certainly a very good lens.

It's also worth considering that 58mm is significantly different enough from 50mm that 1.4 at 58mm gives you depth of field closer to a 50mm 1.2 than it does to a 50mm 1.4.

http://howmuchblur.com/#compare-1x-50mm-f1.2-and-1x-50mm-f1.4-and-1x-58mm-f1.4-on-a-0.9m-wide-subject

ProstheticEmpathy's gear list:ProstheticEmpathy's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,874Gear list
Like?

There have been fairly recent threads discussing the Voigtlander Nokton, including some excellent images. Check the Nikon SLR Lens Talk and Third Party Lens Talk sections of the forum. You will have to filter the search to concentrate on the Nikon and Third Party sections, otherwise you will be overwhelmed by results from the Micro 4/3 and Sony sections.

This one is high on my wish list, but I have never had the opportunity to shoot with one.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with an EF-S 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L, make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +26 more
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

Jzpunltd wrote:

My other choice would be the Sigma 50 1.4 Art but sharpness is not the main objective with my next 50mm mostly bokeh and color rendition as well.

If bokeh is that important, we can rule out ancient design that is the Voigtlander.

I'd go Zeiss 55mm, Nikkor 58mm or the new Sigma 50mm.

MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to coudet, 5 months ago

coudet wrote:

Jzpunltd wrote:

If bokeh is that important, we can rule out ancient design that is the Voigtlander.

I'd go Zeiss 55mm, Nikkor 58mm or the new Sigma 50mm.

I wouldn't be so quick to say such a thing. The Voigt 58/1.4 is an excellent lens with very smooth out-of-focus rendering and very sharp in-focus rendering.

For fans of smooth boke, it is a better choice than the Sigma 50mm Art lens, which has somewhat busy OOF characteristics from the shots that I have seen, and it gives both the Nikkor and the Otus a good run for their money.

It is sharper than the Nikkor at all apertures and in shots where sharpness really counts (when stopped down), it goes toe to toe with the Otus. I own the Voigt 58/1.4 and had the opportunity to compare it against the Otus 55mm when we were sent one as a "teaser" earlier in the year. I posted some comparisons at the time between the Voigt, the Otus and the Sony-Zeiss 55/1.8, all shot and carefully focused on my a7r and it was clear that the humble Voigtlaender lens is not lacking in optical quality.

It is a very nice lens at a very competitive price. It is not as well corrected as the Nikkor and it is not as good a tool for bragging rights as the Otus, but for taking pleasing, warmly toned images with very smooth boke, it is a steal.

You will, however, have to purchase the lens hood separately, and the caps which ship with the lens and the hood (the hood requires a different cap) are both complete rubbish.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +15 more
Roy LaFaver
Regular MemberPosts: 200Gear list
Like?

The Voigtlander looks to be a truly nice lens. I have the 40mm SLII, and I absolutely love it. I have looked at the 58mm, and I think I would like to have it. However, I would also like the Nikon AIS 28mm and the AIS 105mm.

If you get it, tell us how you like it. Photozone says it is great stopped down just a bit. I bet it's special on a Df.

Roy LaFaver's gear list:Roy LaFaver's gear list
Nikon Df
Jzpunltd
Like?

I did manage to find some DF and Voightlander 58mm shots on flickr 1   2   3  4 its the same user though.

A user over at NikonRumors posted some D800 and sigma 50 art and I liked what I saw.

I just need to see some more with nikon bodys for both lens to make a decision.

thanks everybody for the input.

Djouglee
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?

I got the Voigtlander a month or so ago.  I really enjoy it.  I recently came to Nikon from Pentax and wanted a 50mmish lens that could compare to my SMC Takumar 50 f/1.4 in therms of image rendering and handling.  I have been very pleased.  The lens is a joy to handle, the build quality is the equal of the Takumar (that is to say exceptional) and I am pleased with the rendering from wide open to about f/2.8, I haven't really used the lens stopped down more than this but I expect it will preform beautifully.  I have the Sigma 35 f/1.4 Art which I also love.  Based on the 35 Art, I expect the Sigma would be sharper wide open (no surprise) an give a more contrasty, modern look.  I am tempted by the Sigma 50 Art and my well get it one day as I see these two lenses as very different.

Here are a few photos taken with the Voigtlander:

Djouglee's gear list:Djouglee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Jzpunltd
Like?
In reply to Djouglee, 5 months ago

Very nice. I am liking your photos. They are dreamy and creamy.

Djouglee
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?

Thank you.  I got the Voigtlander because I wanted that more of that look than I felt the Nikon 50mm f1.8 G and the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 G could give me, not that I am at all disapointed with those lenses.  Plus the build quality of the Voigtlander makes it an absolute joy to work with.

Djouglee's gear list:Djouglee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads