User review on Zeiss Touit 12mm

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,616Gear list
Like?
User review on Zeiss Touit 12mm
6 months ago

In case you're interested, just saw this review on Carl Zeiss Lenses Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrdmfbVqQc

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
alkaabi
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Re: User review on Zeiss Touit 12mm
In reply to José B, 6 months ago

José B wrote:

In case you're interested, just saw this review on Carl Zeiss Lenses Facebook page.

Cheers,

José

I use it with A7r and it is in my opinion the best wide lens available for it thus far. but since it is not for full frame I can see in close investigation it is noisy. maybe my setting i'm not sure, iso 100. overall i like it.

alkaabi's gear list:alkaabi's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alkaabi
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
In reply to alkaabi, 6 months ago

alkaabi wrote:

José B wrote:

Cheers,

José

I use it with A7r and it is in my opinion the best wide lens available for it thus far. but since it is not for full frame I can see in close investigation it is noisy. maybe my setting i'm not sure, iso 100. overall i like it.

here is a test photo i took last night.

alkaabi's gear list:alkaabi's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
chrisfromalaska
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?

alkaabi wrote:

alkaabi wrote:

José B wrote:

Cheers,

José

Lovely shot, I've been considering the 12mm and the 10-18 as UWA's on my A7 - cropping it to about 15/16mm to get rid of the baffle. The recent Zeiss sale makes the Touit really tempting...

chrisfromalaska's gear list:chrisfromalaska's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7S
Forte
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
In reply to chrisfromalaska, 6 months ago

It seems to work well on the A7 as well.

Quick shot I took last week

Forte's gear list:Forte's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Nikon D7000 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +6 more
José B
Like?

alkaabi wrote:

alkaabi wrote:

José B wrote:

Cheers,

José

very nice and crisp!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
lightgrabber
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?

I have not posted here for a while but recently bought an a6000 and the Zeiss 12mm and wanted to post a sample image that I took with this lens, in case anyone else is considering this combination as a possibility.

Seems I've forgotten how to embed images. I've searched around for instructions but couldn't find any so. I hope you will bear with me if this doesn't work and, if I mess up, as I well might, and  anyone has the time to give me instructions on how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5337128761/photos/1708163

lightgrabber
Like?
In reply to lightgrabber, 6 months ago

Well, that was an epic fail. First I got a link not an embedded photo second it was the wrong blasted photo and now I can't figure out how to edit the post with the correct one.

Here is the correct photo, everything else I will need help or more research to fix.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5337128761/photos/2951662/_town-square-66112061420140612

MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?

Thanks for posting that review, Jose. I love this lens. It's always fun to shoot and it's great to have it in my kit -- I know that I can capture anything I want to given how wide it is! The sharpness is also astonishing, it clearly outresolves the resolution of my NEX-7.

Check out the lack of chromatic aberrations on the branches in the second image (and that's with NO chromatic aberration correction in Lightroom!). Incidentally the reflections in the Vegas image are because I had to shoot that scene from behind glass (should Photoshop it, though I still like that shot).

This was a huge upgrade from the SEL16 + UWA, which never gave me satisfactory results.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
José B
Like?
In reply to MrT-Man, 6 months ago

MrT-Man wrote:

Thanks for posting that review, Jose. I love this lens. It's always fun to shoot and it's great to have it in my kit -- I know that I can capture anything I want to given how wide it is! The sharpness is also astonishing, it clearly outresolves the resolution of my NEX-7.

Check out the lack of chromatic aberrations on the branches in the second image (and that's with NO chromatic aberration correction in Lightroom!). Incidentally the reflections in the Vegas image are because I had to shoot that scene from behind glass (should Photoshop it, though I still like that shot).

This was a huge upgrade from the SEL16 + UWA, which never gave me satisfactory results.

Thanks for sharing these nice images from the Touit Mr. T! If I was into landscape photography, without a doubt this will be my choice.

Cheers,

José

David Lozoya
Contributing MemberPosts: 780
Like?
Package deal 12mm and 32mm...love the 12mm, 32mm is ok

I got the Zeiss 12mm Touit 2.8 and the Zeiss 32mm 1.8 Touit during that $919 deal from B&H. All I can say is the 12mm is the best UWA I have seen so far for APS-C. Very nice lens indeed. I like it much better than the more reviewed and talked about Zeiss 32mm 1.8. That lens is a little weak in the corners from 1.8 to 2.8. In reading reviews it seems that all behave this way so its not just my particular copy. It is not severe and perhaps I'm too critical. One other area of concern is that it hunts a bit sometimes. My Sigma 30mm 2.8 Art is better in the corners but not in the all important center and midsection of the frame...there the Zeiss Touit 32mm beats it...not by much but enough to warrant the price I paid for it during the sale. The Sigma does not hunt like the Zeiss 32mm Touit.

Now back to the 12mm. I have had it for a few weeks and I find that it focuses fairly quickly and captures very nice crisp images with excellent color rendition on my a6000 and have also used it on my Sony a7. Certainly a keeper. I just wish Zeiss would develop a full frame version (18mm) for E Mount.

-- hide signature --

www.davidlozoya.com

120 to 35
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?

lightgrabber wrote:

Well, that was an epic fail. First I got a link not an embedded photo second it was the wrong blasted photo and now I can't figure out how to edit the post with the correct one.

Here is the correct photo, everything else I will need help or more research to fix.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5337128761/photos/2951662/_town-square-66112061420140612

Make sure Javascript is enabled in your browser. While editing your post, click on the image icon above the edit window and select "Insert image from DPReview galleries". This shows you a pop-up window with the the images from your gallery. Click on the image then click on the "Select" button at the bottom of the pop-up to insert the image.

lightgrabber
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 6 months ago

120 to 35 wrote:

lightgrabber wrote:

Make sure Javascript is enabled in your browser. While editing your post, click on the image icon above the edit window and select "Insert image from DPReview galleries". This shows you a pop-up window with the the images from your gallery. Click on the image then click on the "Select" button at the bottom of the pop-up to insert the image.

Thanks for that. Seems I can't go back and edit the previous posts because edit is not showing up as an option, in my 'more options' list. Not sure why. At least now I should in future be able to post pictures from my gallery directly to the thread, thanks to your instructions.

120 to 35
Senior MemberPosts: 1,050
Like?

lightgrabber wrote:

120 to 35 wrote:

lightgrabber wrote:

Thanks for that. Seems I can't go back and edit the previous posts because edit is not showing up as an option, in my 'more options' list. Not sure why. At least now I should in future be able to post pictures from my gallery directly to the thread, thanks to your instructions.

You can edit a post only within a few minutes of posting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads