Dropped my D800 + 70-200 and now I'm paranoid.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ScreenByte
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Dropped my D800 + 70-200 and now I'm paranoid.
3 months ago

Hi Guys.

I know there are a few threads about dropping cameras but I just have to ask as I'm paranoid about it.

My wife dropped my D800 & 70-200vr2 on to a stone floor from 5 ft up.

The camera has some damage on the base but nothing got broken that affects the camera controls.

The camera also seems to be functioning fine and I haven't noticed any problems although I have a black spec in the view finder that isn't on the sensor and I can blow it out.

So what I need to ask you all is it possible that the camera can still work fine after such a drop?

What about focusing etc?

Is there anything I can do to check its fine other than just use it.

Thanks for you time.

ScreenByte's gear list:ScreenByte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LMCasey
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
Re: Dropped my D800 + 70-200 and now I'm paranoid.
In reply to ScreenByte, 3 months ago

Sorry to hear of your accident, but you've answered the question yourself; use it and see if it needs to be sent in for repair.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?

If its insured and the drop has creted physical damage I'd send it in for checking. If it isn't insured just try it and see.

I dropped my D800 with 24085 (so not as heavy) onto a rubberised floor from 4ft and its fine.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?

ScreenByte wrote:

Hi Guys.

I know there are a few threads about dropping cameras but I just have to ask as I'm paranoid about it.

My wife dropped my D800 & 70-200vr2 on to a stone floor from 5 ft up.

The camera has some damage on the base but nothing got broken that affects the camera controls.

The camera also seems to be functioning fine and I haven't noticed any problems although I have a black spec in the view finder that isn't on the sensor and I can blow it out.

So what I need to ask you all is it possible that the camera can still work fine after such a drop?

What about focusing etc?

Is there anything I can do to check its fine other than just use it.

Thanks for you time.

You have the right to be paranoid.  Get rid of your wife and throw away the camera and lens.  Not until then will you feel better.  JK, of course.  There's nothing you can do about it.  Relax.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,680
Like?

I would be inclined to send it in to be sure noting was knocked out of alignment internally.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

rospotte
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, 3 months ago

Have you taken the lense off? See if you can, then look to see if your mirror is damaged or misaligned. Go into your menu and do a mirror lock up, then back down. If it looks good put the lense back on and try taking a picture. You don't want to possible screw up your lense with a broken mirror. Sorry for your accident. Hope everything works out for you.

-- hide signature --

jeff

axcentphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 841Gear list
Like?
In reply to rospotte, 3 months ago

I don't buy used cameras,  I have a few used lenses. But If I see anything on a used lens (CL, Ebay etc.) I won't touch it. Just as well send it in...Brent

axcentphoto's gear list:axcentphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,751Gear list
Like?

The 70-200 is a heavy lens.  I would be concerned that the fall with that lens might have torqued the lens mount.  I'd send it back in to check the alignment of the mount on both the camera and lens.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Oldan New
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?

Your wife ? Yeah, suuuuuuure !

Bernard Delley
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Re: shoot some test scenes to find out

for example the infamous brick wall. Is it sharp left and right top and bottom -- of course needs to be a straight shot. Test both ends of the zoom range. Only worry if there are gross and obvious effects. If so, test another lens, question is the camera body bent too.

romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 711Gear list
Like?
Re: shoot some test scenes to find out
In reply to Bernard Delley, 3 months ago

Bernard Delley wrote:

for example the infamous brick wall. Is it sharp left and right top and bottom -- of course needs to be a straight shot. Test both ends of the zoom range. Only worry if there are gross and obvious effects. If so, test another lens, question is the camera body bent too.

There are various posts on here that the D800 has a weakness when dropped such that the frame for the sensor can crack so the sensor itself is then out of alignment. It is not normally noticeable unless you pixel peep. As I said earlier my D800 seems to be fine

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Richy6771
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

The camera is probably fine. Send your wife in for a checkup. LOL.

Richy6771's gear list:Richy6771's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D600 +1 more
ppronovo
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?

the thud might have fixed the infamous left side autofocus problem. If it has fixed it you need to describe to all the exact height of the fall, the surface impacted and all other relevant issues so that the rest of us can do the same to our D800's.

ppronovo's gear list:ppronovo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
ScreenByte
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
In reply to LMCasey, 3 months ago

Thanks for the answers guys.

I've checked everything many times now and it does seem to be okay but I will be using it for 2 days solid this weekend so I guess more might he revealed.

When I get a chance I will put them in to be checked, I think that's the best way.

BTW It really was the wife who dropped it although she hasn't seen the damage herself because I accidentally hit her eyes with my hands, just like she accidentally dropped my pride and joy

ScreenByte's gear list:ScreenByte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads