Which is your currency?

Started 6 months ago | Polls
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,493Gear list
Like?
Re: With respect, is there a reason why you should occupy our thoughts?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 6 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

Like most of the people on the planet, we are most concerned with those issues that affect us directly. We know what's going on in the rest of the world, we are bombarded with 24 hour news both on Cable TV and the internet.

We have to place the info we receive into a hierarchy. A relatively stable (politically and economically) Europe is, by its nature, going to assume a lower place in that hierarchy than the Middle East, Central and South America, and the Pacific Rim.

I imagine that your people do the same thing, the hierarchy may be different, but that is expected I should think. It is natural for you to think your POV should predominate globally, but that is the sort of narrow thinking we all need to overcome, I suspect.

With respect, yes. My thinking is not so narrow that I expect everybody to share my POV, but it seems to me that is what many members from the US expect. I think it would be nice if those writing here were aware that they are writing to people all over the Globe. Perhaps because members from the US make up a large percentage, they sometimes tend to forget.

What you write here is trivial, and I agree that we have a hierarchy in which input is ordered. I also acknowledge, that what commands most interest in the USA will be what has the largest potential to affect the economy or the security of your nation. I don't really care where in that hierarchy you place Europe, because that is not the point of my post.

My point is, everybody who participates here should be aware of the fact, that there are different units of measure, currencies, languages and mind sets to their own.

This means that you should never write a number without the unit of measure. A studio of 6 by 10 could be quite large if in meter or quite small if in feet, and a sum of 1000 can buy you very different lenses whether it is USD or INR we are talking about. And while we're at it, dollars is the official currency of more than twenty countries of the world, each with their own rate of exchange.

The fact that a large part of the community here does not have English as their first language, should also be a little humbling to those who has. English interspersed with abbreviations, for instance, is much less understandable. Also, spelling and grammatical errors are a hindrance to understanding; I think a native speaker does not understand how much. When trying to decipher a text written in a foreign language, one always has to take into account that what you read could be either a new phrase you have never heard before, or perhaps just a simple error.

I have also seen very differing views on privacy, especially when it comes to street photography. I will not promote one view or the other, just make you aware, that your view, whatever it might be, may be quite intolerable to people in a different country with a different history and legislation.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165Gear list
Like?

Klaus dk wrote:

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

Like most of the people on the planet, we are most concerned with those issues that affect us directly.  We know what's going on in the rest of the world, we are bombarded with 24 hour news both on Cable TV and the internet.

We have to place the info we receive into a hierarchy. A relatively stable (politically and economically) Europe is, by its nature, going to assume a lower place in that hierarchy than the Middle East, Central and South America, and the Pacific Rim.

I imagine that your people do the same thing, the hierarchy may be different, but that is expected I should think.  It is natural for you to think your POV should predominate globally, but that is the sort of narrow thinking we all need to overcome, I suspect.

-- hide signature --

I have met Americans who have no clue where my country is in the world, but on the other hand I'm not quite sure where Nebraska exactly is situated. So we're even.

Btw, my currency is swedish kronor (SEK) mostly. It's a floating currency, 1 USD is right now roughly 7 kronor, 1 euro is 9 kronor. Or thereabout.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
In reply to MatsP, 6 months ago

MatsP wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Like most of the people on the planet, we are most concerned with those issues that affect us directly. We know what's going on in the rest of the world, we are bombarded with 24 hour news both on Cable TV and the internet.

I imagine that your people do the same thing, the hierarchy may be different, but that is expected I should think. It is natural for you to think your POV should predominate globally, but that is the sort of narrow thinking we all need to overcome, I suspect.

-- hide signature --

I have met Americans who have no clue where my country is in the world, but on the other hand I'm not quite sure where Nebraska exactly is situated. So we're even.

I'm from the US, and I barely know where Nebraska is.  It's up there somewhere right?

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,469
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, 6 months ago

Klaus dk wrote:

I have also seen very differing views on privacy, especially when it comes to street photography. I will not promote one view or the other, just make you aware, that your view, whatever it might be, may be quite intolerable to people in a different country with a different history and legislation.

Ugly personalities exist everywhere.  You can't control that sort of behavior.  I remember sitting in a Fast food restaurant reading a newspaper one morning in Jacksonville Florida a few years ago when the Tour De France was going on.  That is a high tourist area that receives people from all over the world.

A young French man approached me and asked about the previous day's results in that race. I politely got the sports section of the newspaper and started looking for it.  He became instantly outraged that those results wasn't on the front page of the section.

He began to denigrate the USA, the intelligence of the people, and proclaimed the superiority of the French culture.

After about 30 seconds of this, I raised my hand to him and said, "I don't recall inviting you to disturb my peace" (It might not have been that polite, but that is how I choose to remember it!), I then calmly tore the sports section in half and tossed both pieces in the trash.

The people of France are no more responsible for the actions of that moron than I am of the actions of Americans in foreign lands.  And you aren't responsible for German tourists who think of tourism as a competitive sport.

My point is, while I might feel badly when thinking about other people's behavior, I don't see how I can do much about it and I have other things to worry about anyway.

-- hide signature --
Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is your currency?
In reply to PalmettoFellow, 6 months ago

PalmettoFellow wrote:

yonsarh wrote:

PalmettoFellow wrote:

I'm rich!!!

how much is this when convert to U.S dollar?

I'm honestly not sure anymore. It think that particular dollar has been discountinued. They're on their third dollar now, which seems to have a better rate.

1USD = 362ZWD

1UKP = 614ZWD

Very approximately

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +7 more
Klaus dk
Like?
Oh dear

Glen Barrington wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Ugly personalities exist everywhere. You can't control that sort of behavior.

[...]

My point is, while I might feel badly when thinking about other people's behavior, I don't see how I can do much about it and I have other things to worry about anyway.

Oh dear, I am afraid I must have worded that sentence badly. I was not referring to you as a person, but to "you" as "anybody". I chose the case of privacy in street photography as an example of cultural differences, I have no idea whether you personally have an opinion on that and, if any, what it might be.

And yes, any nation will be able to deliver examples of obnoxious behaviour, but that is beside the point.

What would be great though, would be if members stated their country of residence in their profile. It would clear at least some misunderstandings.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

Ugly personalities exist everywhere. You can't control that sort of behavior. I remember sitting in a Fast food restaurant reading a newspaper one morning in Jacksonville Florida a few years ago when the Tour De France was going on. That is a high tourist area that receives people from all over the world.

A young French man approached me and asked about the previous day's results in that race. I politely got the sports section of the newspaper and started looking for it. He became instantly outraged that those results wasn't on the front page of the section.

He began to denigrate the USA, the intelligence of the people, and proclaimed the superiority of the French culture.

After about 30 seconds of this, I raised my hand to him and said, "I don't recall inviting you to disturb my peace" (It might not have been that polite, but that is how I choose to remember it!), I then calmly tore the sports section in half and tossed both pieces in the trash.

The people of France are no more responsible for the actions of that moron than I am of the actions of Americans in foreign lands. And you aren't responsible for German tourists who think of tourism as a competitive sport.

Klaus dk's profile says that he is Danish.

-- hide signature --
 MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165Gear list
Like?
In reply to PalmettoFellow, 6 months ago

MatsP wrote:

Klaus dk wrote:

-- hide signature --

I'm from the US, and I barely know where Nebraska is.  It's up there somewhere right?

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,469
Like?
Then he's REALLY not responsible for German Tourists!
In reply to MichaelKJ, 6 months ago

Yeah I caught that AFTER I posted.  I guess that's what the dk in his screen name stands for (but who pays attention to the meaning in screen names!)  Then I thought, "I'm an American, Europeans already think I'm stupid, this won't change things much anyway!"

-- hide signature --
nikon power
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
Re: Which is your currency?
In reply to AndreaV, 6 months ago

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,333Gear list
Like?
Hows how stupid I am; I thought Hayes was on the US $2,000,000 note! (nt)
In reply to nikon power, 6 months ago

no text

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Mike CH
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a world outside the US?
In reply to darklamp, 6 months ago

darklamp wrote:

I'm not sure that the average US citizen thinks much about events outside their own locale, never mind the whole US or the world.

This is pretty much how most people think.

No, I don't think 'most' is right. Many, perhaps.

Continental Europeans are often quite aware of the fact that there is a different country, with different politics, different laws and until recently different currency within a couple of hundred kilometres of their residence.

You know, on the left side of the pond, hundred years is a long time. On the right side, hundred kilometres is a long distance. Here in the meaning that people generally are aware that things can change a lot in those hundred kilometres.

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Mike CH
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

A young French man approached me [...]

Since we are on the topic of people's behaviour while travelling, the saddest thing (just to have something different from the stupidest, like your Frenchie) that I ever experienced was the following.

While bicycling through Southern France I met an American couple in a restaurant. They were obviously having trouble with the menu, so I asked if I could help them. After chatting a bit they told me they were on the last days of a three week holiday in Europe, where they'd visited, amongst other places, Italy, France, Spain and Germany. They also told me that they had lived mostly on Spaghetti Bolognese the whole time. Because that was all they had been able to understand on the menus, most of the time! And nobody had helped them until they met me! Boy was I mad. (Not at them, at people for not helping them).

They didn't want the Paella I suggested, though...

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Should be "Shows," which is more proof of my stupidity. (nt)
In reply to Corkcampbell, 6 months ago

no text

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Corkcampbell
Like?
Yeah, the whole issue of which currency is changing now.
In reply to Hen3ry, 6 months ago

Yeah, the whole issue of which currency is rapidly changing, becoming more fluid. I'm a good example. I am American so I have a US PayPal account, mostly using dollars, but I also earn money from China, so I have a Bank of China bankcard which, of course, contains RMB, but I use the card in Korea (where I'm living) to get Won here and even on trips to get whatever currency is being used where I'm visiting. When I check my balance, it shows the amount in whatever the local currency is. The occasional times that I've bought something locally (but still via eBay and PayPal) I believe Won was used. And, when using a (US) bank or credit card here, the processing machines actually give me a choice of paying in dollars or Won, and display the amount due in each currency, which, I assume, is so I can agree with the conversion rate. Since I never clean out my wallet or money clip, I am carrying RMB, USD, Won from each of the Koreas, and some Taiwan currency, and have a stack of UK pounds somewhere. The only major currency I don't really use is the Euro because I don't shop there and haven't visited in about four years.

-- hide signature --

oklaphotog
Contributing MemberPosts: 806Gear list
Like?
Bitcoin! n/t
In reply to AndreaV, 6 months ago
No text.
Mike CH
Like?
Try another one...

Glen Barrington wrote:

I guess that's what the dk in his screen name stands for

Since you got that one, what's the CH in my screen name?

No googling.

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH
Like?
That's nothing new...
In reply to Corkcampbell, 6 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

Yeah, the whole issue of which currency is rapidly changing, becoming more fluid. I'm a good example. I am American so I have a US PayPal account, mostly using dollars, but I also earn money from China, so I have a Bank of China bankcard which, of course, contains RMB, but I use the card in Korea (where I'm living) to get Won here and even on trips to get whatever currency is being used where I'm visiting. When I check my balance, it shows the amount in whatever the local currency is. The occasional times that I've bought something locally (but still via eBay and PayPal) I believe Won was used. And, when using a (US) bank or credit card here, the processing machines actually give me a choice of paying in dollars or Won, and display the amount due in each currency, which, I assume, is so I can agree with the conversion rate. Since I never clean out my wallet or money clip, I am carrying RMB, USD, Won from each of the Koreas, and some Taiwan currency, and have a stack of UK pounds somewhere. The only major currency I don't really use is the Euro because I don't shop there and haven't visited in about four years.

You're describing daily life in Europe not that long ago. At least with regard to the amount of different currencies in daily use. I regularly carried CHF, DKR, GBP, DM and FF. Oh, and Lira and Drachme. Now the last four have been replaced by Euro...

Some years ago I saw a funny sign in the tourist office in Juneau, Alaska. Right where all the cruise boats land. The sign said, "Yes, we DO take US dollars!". I asked, "Wow, do you get that many foreign tourists here that don't know the currency?" The answer was "No. Sigh. They are all from the lower, contiguous states...".

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Klaus dk
Like?
Re: Then he's REALLY not responsible for German Tourists!

I spent three days with visiting American family last week, showing them the sights of Copenhagen. They're pretty clever and nice people, so I have no prejudice against Americans as a group.

I didn't feel particularly hit by your remark about Germans, because I agree that I should not feel responsible for their behaviour, as I don't hold you responsible for the actions of other Americans.

I'm really sorry that this turned out to be about who is the stupidest, because that was never my intention.

My moniker is a bit pretentious though, as there is more than one Klaus in Denmark, but it was free when I signed up, so I took it.

BTW, why did you assume that I was German - because of the initial K?

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,761Gear list
Like?
Re: Almost universal
In reply to steephill, 6 months ago

steephill wrote:

Very often £=€=$ much to the annoyance of us £'ers.

Very true, the Australian $ is worth .93 US$ today, except when it is used to buy a camera, in Australia our $ is worth much less than every other currencies because the cost of cameras here is inflated.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads