Which is your currency?

Started 4 months ago | Polls
AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?
Which is your currency?
4 months ago

Hi! Sorry if this is a bit off topic for a photography gear forum, but I noticed that many people post question like "I want to buy a camera and my budget is 500."... ok, now, 500 what? $, €, pieces of gold, grams of salt, cows? So I got curious on which is the most common currency between the people here... so which one is yours?

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
POLL
US dollar
30.7% 39  votes
Euro
22.0% 28  votes
British Pound
15.0% 19  votes
Japanese Yen
0.8% 1  vote
Chinese Yuan
0.8% 1  vote
Swiss Franc
2.4% 3  votes
Canadian dollar
4.7% 6  votes
Australian dollar
4.7% 6  votes
Other
18.9% 24  votes
  Show results
samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
Re: Which is your currency?
In reply to AndreaV, 4 months ago

Even though DPR is originally a UK web site, if you read a question about "what to buy for 500" or "where to buy a camera", you can be reasonably sure that the first means "USD" and the second "in USA".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ido S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,154Gear list
Like?

NIS - though I guess I might be a loner on this one here...

As already mentioned, when a currency isn't mentioned, it's probably $US, even if the person who asks the question isn't purchasing the equipment in the US.

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,106
Like?
Almost universal

Very often £=€=$ much to the annoyance of us £'ers.

-- hide signature --

Steve

www.pbase.com/steephill

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,978Gear list
Like?
A glaring omission; you forgot this currency!

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
yonsarh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149Gear list
Like?

AndreaV wrote:

Hi! Sorry if this is a bit off topic for a photography gear forum, but I noticed that many people post question like "I want to buy a camera and my budget is 500."... ok, now, 500 what? $, €, pieces of gold, grams of salt, cows? So I got curious on which is the most common currency between the people here... so which one is yours?

About US10 dollars.

yonsarh's gear list:yonsarh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Sony SLT-A57
AndreaV
Like?
Re: A glaring omission; you forgot this currency!
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago

Sorry for the omission! I googled the most used currencies in the world and I put those ones!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
AndreaV
Like?
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago

But now I'm very curious... which currency is that? I've never seen it!

yonsarh
Like?

AndreaV wrote:

But now I'm very curious... which currency is that? I've never seen it!

It's a North Korean currency.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,978Gear list
Like?
Good eyes!
In reply to yonsarh, 4 months ago

Good eyes; I meant this as a joke, of course.

Actually, that's the older DPRK currency which was replaced in 2002 (I think) in a currency revaluation scheme which was meant to put an end to black market activities, illegal trade with China, etc. Actually, it produced a big public backlash as people's savings were wiped out and the finance minister, economics minister, or whatever he was called, was executed for his trouble.

This particular note came from a Pyongyang restaurant last summer; they had some old notes around and didn't mind giving them away.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,384
Like?
You missed the Indian Rupee

There are quite a few requests from people using Rupees, which is not a surprise given the population of India outnumbers Europe and the US combined.

Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331Gear list
Like?
Is there a world outside the US?

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?

I'm rich!!!

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
yonsarh
Like?
In reply to PalmettoFellow, 4 months ago

PalmettoFellow wrote:

I'm rich!!!

how much is this when convert to U.S dollar?

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,384
Like?
Re: Is there a world outside the US?
In reply to Klaus dk, 4 months ago

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

I'm not sure that the average US citizen thinks much about events outside their own locale, never mind the whole US or the world.

This is pretty much how most people think.

In geography they use mental maps to describe this and I believe they're even developed an empirical formula for how much relative importance people put on locations. It seems largely dependent on distance ( in terms of travel time and interaction ) and population density. As travel becomes cheaper and quicker our knowledge of different places has improved, but it must be said that the Atlantic and Pacific oceans are kinda huge barriers. Likewise it's still far from trivial to go from e.g. Spain to China.

Our mental maps still tend to be very tightly centered on our locale.

PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
In reply to yonsarh, 4 months ago

yonsarh wrote:

PalmettoFellow wrote:

I'm rich!!!

how much is this when convert to U.S dollar?

I'm honestly not sure anymore.  It think that particular dollar has been discountinued.  They're on their third dollar now, which seems to have a better rate.

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
AndreaV
Like?
In reply to PalmettoFellow, 4 months ago

Wow! with a budged of 100.000.000.000.000$ you could easily buy Nikon, Canon and Sony together and still have a lot left!

yonsarh
Like?
Re: Is there a world outside the US?

Klaus dk wrote:

Living somewhere in the rest of the world I sometimes wonder how little space we seem to occupy in the mind of the average US citizen.

Some Americans do not see in some part of Asian countries emerging so fast, yet, they couldn't even realize it.

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,007
Like?
With respect, is there a reason why you should occupy our thoughts?

Klaus dk wrote:

Like most of the people on the planet, we are most concerned with those issues that affect us directly.  We know what's going on in the rest of the world, we are bombarded with 24 hour news both on Cable TV and the internet.

We have to place the info we receive into a hierarchy. A relatively stable (politically and economically) Europe is, by its nature, going to assume a lower place in that hierarchy than the Middle East, Central and South America, and the Pacific Rim.

I imagine that your people do the same thing, the hierarchy may be different, but that is expected I should think.  It is natural for you to think your POV should predominate globally, but that is the sort of narrow thinking we all need to overcome, I suspect.

-- hide signature --
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,360Gear list
Like?
PNG Kina and AUD - but actually…

…it is whatever I want when I buy O/S using PayPal. Mostly USD.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads