Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 and 100-300mm lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068
Like?
Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 and 100-300mm lens?
4 months ago

In theory the GH4 should AF really well with any Panasonic lens as a result of the new DFD technology. Yet, I've read somewhere that the GH4 is a bit sluggish with the 100-300mm lens. Anyone here experiencing such problem with this set up?

Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,202Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone here have the Panasonic GH4 and 100-300mm lens?
In reply to Sgt_Strider, 4 months ago

Depends. It is not sluggish in AF-s. When you want to use it for action, BIF or speedy animals or sports, you cannot rely on the AF-c system at all. It loses focus, it slows down the system a lot. If you expected good performance, like with the 35-100, it will be a frustrating experience I think.
You could find ways to work around this with MF and FP, far from ideal I think but some seem to be really good at it.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?
Re: Lots of posts about this subject on this forum

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53857516

Try this one and read through the responses, I think most of your answers are there.

Andrew

Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,610
Like?

In my experience, the GH4 in combination with the 100-300mm lens is slower to focus than with the GH3, especially in the long end around 300mm.

With the GH4, this lens is downright frustrating to use.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com

guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
 guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,363Gear list
Like?
A summary

After starting the thread that other people have linked to, I wrote a summary of the current situation on this post in the Wildlife Forum.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,882Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fredrik Glckner, 4 months ago

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

In my experience, the GH4 in combination with the 100-300mm lens is slower to focus than with the GH3, especially in the long end around 300mm.

Fredrik,

That's a surprise. Mine works a bit better with the GH4 than the GH3 -- not great with either one but so far never frustrating. I'll use my 100-300 without hesitation when the distance warrants.

I seem to get about 4 fps with Medium burst mode. 14-140 II and 35-100 are both able operate at full medium rate.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,399
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, 4 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

Fredrik Glckner wrote:

Fredrik,

That's a surprise. Mine works a bit better with the GH4 than the GH3 -- not great with either one but so far never frustrating. I'll use my 100-300 without hesitation when the distance warrants.

I seem to get about 4 fps with Medium burst mode. 14-140 II and 35-100 are both able operate at full medium rate.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I haven't done a back-to-back comparison (sold my GH3) but I don't notice any difference.  The lens is fine using AF-S.  It just doesn't work well with AF-C.

georgec
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
It is slow to auto-focus when shooting 4k Video

Other than that , it is the similar as GH3. I love this lens for video, especially for  the price.

georgec's gear list:georgec's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +8 more
Sgt_Strider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068
Like?
Re: A summary
In reply to Chris R-UK, 4 months ago

Chris R-UK wrote:

After starting the thread that other people have linked to, I wrote a summary of the current situation on this post in the Wildlife Forum.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

That's really disappointing news. Hopefully Panasonic will come out with an updated lens in the near future.

Vesku
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?

I have shooted sports with GH3 and 100-300 and now with GH4. 100-300mm is kind of slow and with AFC I get about 3 fps when using f 6.3 (GH4). It is a bit faster than with GH3. Most importantly the new DFD AF gives much better succes rate. 100-300 focuses more accurately in video too with GH4.

Airjeff
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to Vesku, 4 months ago

I would recommend checking the lens firmware version.  The most recent version is 1.2 (1/25/2012). Mine seems good on the GH-4.

Chris R-UK
Like?
In reply to Airjeff, 4 months ago

Airjeff wrote:

I would recommend checking the lens firmware version. The most recent version is 1.2 (1/25/2012). Mine seems good on the GH-4.

Have you tried using the 100-300mm in AF-C mode?  Can you get an FPS rate over 4fps in AF-C mode (1) with the lens wide opened and (2) stopped down to, say, f/8?

Different users seem to get different results with this lens on the GH4 and E-M1 and I am trying to collect information.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Vesku
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?

Chris R-UK wrote:

Airjeff wrote:

I would recommend checking the lens firmware version. The most recent version is 1.2 (1/25/2012). Mine seems good on the GH-4.

Have you tried using the 100-300mm in AF-C mode? Can you get an FPS rate over 4fps in AF-C mode (1) with the lens wide opened and (2) stopped down to, say, f/8?

Different users seem to get different results with this lens on the GH4 and E-M1 and I am trying to collect information.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I have used and tested 100-300mm with GH4. I can get 3-4 fps at f5.6 and it slows down gradually when stopping down. Fps is not constant, sometimes if subject moves very little the objective speeds up a little and if there is difficult movement the lens slows down.

I have found in sports events the best combination is f 6.3, iso 250-320 and shutter about 1250-1600. it needs a lot of light, there must be some sunshine. It it is cloudy I must rise iso.

Chris R-UK
Like?
In reply to Vesku, 4 months ago

Vesku wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Airjeff wrote:

Have you tried using the 100-300mm in AF-C mode? Can you get an FPS rate over 4fps in AF-C mode (1) with the lens wide opened and (2) stopped down to, say, f/8?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I have used and tested 100-300mm with GH4. I can get 3-4 fps at f5.6 and it slows down gradually when stopping down. Fps is not constant, sometimes if subject moves very little the objective speeds up a little and if there is difficult movement the lens slows down.

I have found in sports events the best combination is f 6.3, iso 250-320 and shutter about 1250-1600. it needs a lot of light, there must be some sunshine. It it is cloudy I must rise iso.

Thank you for the information.  Your results seem to be consistent with other GH4 users.  The results on the E-M1 seem to be more variable.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Airjeff
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

Chris R-UK wrote:

Vesku wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

Airjeff wrote:

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Thank you for the information. Your results seem to be consistent with other GH4 users. The results on the E-M1 seem to be more variable.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

I ran a test and match Vesku's findings.  I also tried various focus modes and RAW vs JPEG.  Stabilization was switched off.  But...manual focus is ~11 fps!  Oh well.

Jeff L.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads