Feel the excitement: D810

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: excitement about same sensor in same body? Why?
In reply to tommiejeep, 4 months ago

Agree, that for someone who did not buy yet a D610 or D800/e, this camera with a few more features would be interested in it: 1 stop better iso, sRAw, lighter body. If one was ready to buy a D800, for a few extra hundred, why not buy a camera with a few more features including better 1 stop better iso makes a difference for pro work or semi-pro enthusiast.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329
Like?
In reply to Adrian Van, 4 months ago

Adrian Van wrote:

Agree, that for someone who did not buy yet a D610 or D800/e, this camera with a few more features would be interested in it: 1 stop better iso, sRAw, lighter body. If one was ready to buy a D800, for a few extra hundred, why not buy a camera with a few more features including better 1 stop better iso makes a difference for pro work or semi-pro enthusiast.

1 stop better ISO is a different algorithm only applicable to jpegs and sRAW is already demosaiced and basically some sort of a TIFF. Not sure these are compelling features for anyone, for me not at all.

Better AF would be great but personally I'm not thrilled with no AA filter as I often shoot fabric or buildings. We'll have to wait how the improved moire software pans out. I'd rather see an AA filter until we reach the 100MP or something so that the necessary blur comes from the lenses.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Jane79
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: Feel the excitement: D810
In reply to ultimitsu, 4 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:
4K is essential in the sense that almost all high end cameras in their respective classes have 4K now, not having 4K for a late 2014  high end DSLR is exactly like not having video for D700.

Would you mind naming some of those 4K capable high-end cameras? The only two I can think of are the Canon EOS-1D C and the m4/3 Panasonic GH4. The Sony A7s is not available yet and will need an external recorder. Thanks!

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,193Gear list
Like?
In reply to antoineb, 4 months ago

antoineb wrote:

The "s" or "10" models are best skipped.

hypercore360 wrote:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/06/nikon-d810-name-confirmed/

Not true in the case of the D3S, which was about a 1.5 to 2 stop improvement over the D3, plus a increase in the buffer, which cost D3 owners $500 if they sent their camera in for the upgrade.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Tkopa
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Re: Another Flashlight prediction...
In reply to Flashlight, 4 months ago

You did say it and it came true. That gets a silent nod from me as a sign of respect. Look forward to more things you have to say.

rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: I am interested, a few items I'll be looking at
In reply to rhlpetrus, 4 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

rubank wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

The AF accuracy is not so relevant at 16MP (D4s) but is very important at 36MP.

For the same output size there is no difference

(which doesn´t mean I don´t think accuracy is very important...).

I am assuming one uses all res that is available. If I were interested in printing only at 16MP, there would be no reason to go for the D810.

I have no idea what you mean by "printing only at 16 MP".

But if you make , let´s say, A3 prints from both there will be no difference in focus if both cameras have the same AF accuracy. If you make A2 prints I don´t think you will see any difference in focus performance either.

And the notion that 36 MP will have no value unless you make very big prints is a false presumtion.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rubank
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

rubank wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

• sRAW

This is what a lot of people have been asking for.

I wonder why. I really do.

Because for some types of shooting full 36 MP is completely pointless. For example indoor sports where all your shots are ISO 3200+, 36 MP will just give you many MB of noise. 12MP SRAW taking 1/3 the card space and triple buffer space is much more sensible.

• 4k video is unlikely
  • No Built-in Wi-Fi

These are sort of essential these days.

Nah, WiFi is too slow.

Have you used wifi? I have had a wifi SD card for about 8 month now, and it is great. It allows you to upload images to ipad or cellphone right after shooting session. people can see it at high res display and share it straightaway.

• Same AF improvements like in the D4s
  • Improved low light capabilities: one stop better ISO performance

I think these are unlikely. Especially the 1 stop better ISO part.

Maybe Nikon solved the amp-glow problem, add technical tuning and you could have 1 stop.

Amp glow fix will just reduce the red cast, D800 is already at something like 55% QE, unless the CMOS architecture is completely redsigned I dont see how you can double high ISO performance - which is what 1 stop improvement is.

The full spectrum QE is nowhere near 55%.

Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 394Gear list
Like?
Re: I am interested, a few items I'll be looking at
In reply to rubank, 4 months ago

rubank wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

rubank wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

The AF accuracy is not so relevant at 16MP (D4s) but is very important at 36MP.

For the same output size there is no difference

(which doesn´t mean I don´t think accuracy is very important...).

I am assuming one uses all res that is available. If I were interested in printing only at 16MP, there would be no reason to go for the D810.

I have no idea what you mean by "printing only at 16 MP".

But if you make , let´s say, A3 prints from both there will be no difference in focus if both cameras have the same AF accuracy. If you make A2 prints I don´t think you will see any difference in focus performance either.

And the notion that 36 MP will have no value unless you make very big prints is a false presumtion.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

Totally agree.

36 Mp has great value when printing large group of people in a portrait setting for a double page panoramic in an album for example, and also for landscapes holding a lot of detail in mid to large prints. Lastly, being able to crop into a scene and still have lots of detail and resolution is very welcome, and useful, especially if the lens that was available was not long enough on telephoto such as birds etc.

16 MP may be enough for some people or 24Mp, so for them they may not choose a 36mp camera.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,698
Like?
In reply to Jane79, 4 months ago

Jane79 wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:
4K is essential in the sense that almost all high end cameras in their respective classes have 4K now, not having 4K for a late 2014 high end DSLR is exactly like not having video for D700.

Would you mind naming some of those 4K capable high-end cameras? The only two I can think of are the Canon EOS-1D C and the m4/3 Panasonic GH4. The Sony A7s is not available yet and will need an external recorder. Thanks!

FZ1000, go pro black+.

D810 isnt out yet, I am guessing it will be around end of the year, bythen there will be more.

ultimitsu
Like?
In reply to brianric, 4 months ago

brianric wrote:

antoineb wrote:

The "s" or "10" models are best skipped.

hypercore360 wrote:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/06/nikon-d810-name-confirmed/

Not true in the case of the D3S, which was about a 1.5 to 2 stop improvement over the D3

you mean at ISO 25600?

ultimitsu
Like?
In reply to rubank, 4 months ago

rubank wrote:

Maybe Nikon solved the amp-glow problem, add technical tuning and you could have 1 stop.

Amp glow fix will just reduce the red cast, D800 is already at something like 55% QE, unless the CMOS architecture is completely redsigned I dont see how you can double high ISO performance - which is what 1 stop improvement is.

Can you explain what you mean? SensorGen list D800 at 56% QE.

http://www.sensorgen.info/NikonD800.html

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,031Gear list
Like?
Best DSLR gets better
In reply to hypercore360, 4 months ago

When it is already the top of the camera heap....better is still better.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
f bass
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Re: Best DSLR gets better
In reply to The Davinator, 4 months ago

+1, Jim

ADMint
Contributing MemberPosts: 923Gear list
Like?
In reply to hypercore360, 4 months ago

Dang it looks like I'll have to sell all my gear & computer equipment just to be able to get one of these babies.

Next I'll have to make sure I get the most expensive pristine glass available.  No Sir'eee, can't use just any old glass, strictly Nikon's finest, biggest, baddest lenses. Nothing else will do.

Next I'll need a new PC to process those super duper 1 million percent improved files.  Heck I'm not even sure a PC on this earth could handle the files from what I've been told.  Some guy over the way across the divide said you needed a 4.33 trigabyte processor with 1024 terabyte of RAM just to get those files to open.

Oh, and the new version of ViewNX810 will be exclusive to the 810, meaning no other camera could use it. Well, that's what my friend, who works over at keep-them-rumors-coming.com said.

It'll be an amazing thing to see a perfectly good working camera no longer working "the way I like" when the new model is released.

Good grief.

-- hide signature --

New to this forum, not to forums!

ADMint's gear list:ADMint's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
rubank
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

rubank wrote:

Can you explain what you mean? SensorGen list D800 at 56% QE.

http://www.sensorgen.info/NikonD800.html

I will refer you to this discussion:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52087011

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,511Gear list
Like?
In reply to sjprg, 4 months ago

sjprg wrote:

The Sony A7R has already replaced my D800E for 95% of my use!

-- hide signature --

Paul

Interesting.

So, what's your use?   Professional work?

Pics?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
ebuddha
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to brianric, 4 months ago

brianric wrote:

Mr Gadget wrote:

ebuddha wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

There's going to be an onslaught of D800/E's for sale on the 2nd hard market like nobody's business.

I sold mine 6 months ago in anticipation of this, but may leave for Sony after I see what gets announced at photokina.

I'm really hoping the AF is a big step forward, but even if they tighten up the tolerances, not sure it'll solve the focus shift problem found in a lot of great lenses (e.g. 14-24/2.8)

So, you sold your D800 6 months ago in anticipation of this event, what have you used in the interim? Many photographers (sic) follow this strategy which seems to me to only give them bragging rights for owning the latest new toy.

To each his own.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Exactly!

I had limited travel plans this year so I was willing to not have any equipment this year.  It's a bit painful at times, but here in Chicago the Winter was so brutal I would not have used it at all anyhow.

I've filled the time reading up on composition and reviewing galleries of great photographs to learn and get ideas.

I'm pretty sure I'm headed towards the A7r followup (hopefully photokina) and away from big, heavy bodies and lenses, so I used the Winter/Spring to sell equipment and now I'm of a clear mind to make a decision about the best platform going forward.  My heart hopes it will be Nikon, but my brain says that's unlikely (for me).

I'm a bond trader by profession, so I prefer to not take a bath financially on anything and was willing to 'trade' 9 months of being able to take photos for getting nearly all of my investment back (I sold about $25,000 of equipment over the past year or so, which was at least 75% of what I paid for it all).

travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,000
Like?
In reply to ebuddha, 4 months ago

As per above, if the 16-35 turns out to be excellent, than that, the 55, 35, and 70-200 will be enough to sway me to the Sony A system when an upgrade to the A7R comes out (or a few issues are fixed). However, I am also hoping Pentax will intro a small FF camera with some excellent lenses. All that being said, you can wish in one hand and S*#! in another, and see which ways more. Right now I am more than happy to go with what I have (Sony RX1 and Ricoh GR), but I sold a 5DII to wait for the right interchangeable system (was leaning towards the D800E at the time), it has been nearly 2 years, if I needed a full system now, I would probably go with the D810 when it comes out.

-TBri

ebuddha
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to travelinbri_74, 4 months ago

travelinbri_74 wrote:

As per above, if the 16-35 turns out to be excellent, than that, the 55, 35, and 70-200 will be enough to sway me to the Sony A system when an upgrade to the A7R comes out (or a few issues are fixed). However, I am also hoping Pentax will intro a small FF camera with some excellent lenses. All that being said, you can wish in one hand and S*#! in another, and see which ways more. Right now I am more than happy to go with what I have (Sony RX1 and Ricoh GR), but I sold a 5DII to wait for the right interchangeable system (was leaning towards the D800E at the time), it has been nearly 2 years, if I needed a full system now, I would probably go with the D810 when it comes out.

-TBri
I'm headed in the opposite direction.
Having sold my d800, trinity, 400/2.8 and several other hi iq lenses, I've been resisting the urge to get the rx1r - that lens seems nearly perfect and definately has a beautiful quality about it. And even though the focal length would fit me 2/3 of the time, I'll wait and see what gets announced this fall.

hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Re: Best DSLR gets better
In reply to The Davinator, 4 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

When it is already the top of the camera heap....better is still better.

Yup, so do agree

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads