Feel the excitement: D810

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Oldan New
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?
Re: Feel the excitement: D810
In reply to hypercore360, 3 months ago

hypercore360 wrote:

There's going to be an onslaught of D800/E's for sale on the 2nd hard market like nobody's business.

I don't think so.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oldan New
Regular MemberPosts: 440
Like?
In reply to NikonMike, 3 months ago

$3200 for a "35 mm" SLR body is nuts.

T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,883Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oldan New, 3 months ago

Oldan New wrote:

It is a bit on the low side. But just learn to take the bargains when they give 'em. 

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 and a bit more "stuff"

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 3 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/06/nikon-d810-name-confirmed/

• 36MP sensor
  • No low pass (AA) filter (just like the D800E, this time Nikon will only introduce one model without the AA filter)
  • Improved software to suppress moiré
  • Expeed 4 imaging processor (they may call it Expeed 4a)

Nothing exciting here

• Higher resolution LCD screen
  • Built-in GPS
  • 5 fps (6fps with the MB-D12)
  • The new camera will be lighter (compared to the D800/D800E)

Nice but incremental.

• sRAW

This is what a lot of people have been asking for.

I wonder why. I really do.

• 4k video is unlikely
  • No Built-in Wi-Fi

These are sort of essential these days.

Nah, WiFi is too slow.

• Same AF improvements like in the D4s
  • Improved low light capabilities: one stop better ISO performance

I think these are unlikely. Especially the 1 stop better ISO part.

Maybe Nikon solved the amp-glow problem, add technical tuning and you could have 1 stop.

• 4 centre autofocus points

Would be interesting to see what that is like.

Yes.

Unfortunately no word on better LV or solving forced stop-down.

rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: I am interested, a few items I'll be looking at
In reply to rhlpetrus, 3 months ago

rhlpetrus wrote:

The AF accuracy is not so relevant at 16MP (D4s) but is very important at 36MP.

For the same output size there is no difference

(which doesn´t mean I don´t think accuracy is very important...).

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593
Like?
In reply to rubank, 3 months ago

rubank wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

• sRAW

Because for some types of shooting full 36 MP is completely pointless. For example indoor sports where all your shots are ISO 3200+, 36 MP will just give you many MB of noise. 12MP SRAW taking 1/3 the card space and triple buffer space is much more sensible.

• 4k video is unlikely
  • No Built-in Wi-Fi

Nah, WiFi is too slow.

Have you used wifi? I have had a wifi SD card for about 8 month now, and it is great. It allows you to upload images to ipad or cellphone right after shooting session. people can see it at high res display and share it straightaway.

Maybe Nikon solved the amp-glow problem, add technical tuning and you could have 1 stop.

Amp glow fix will just reduce the red cast, D800 is already at something like 55% QE, unless the CMOS architecture is completely redsigned I dont see how you can double high ISO performance - which is what 1 stop improvement is.

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,772
Like?
In reply to ebuddha, 3 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

There's going to be an onslaught of D800/E's for sale on the 2nd hard market like nobody's business.

I sold mine 6 months ago in anticipation of this, but may leave for Sony after I see what gets announced at photokina.

I'm really hoping the AF is a big step forward, but even if they tighten up the tolerances, not sure it'll solve the focus shift problem found in a lot of great lenses (e.g. 14-24/2.8)

So, you sold your D800 6 months ago in anticipation of this event, what have you used in the interim? Many photographers (sic) follow this strategy which seems to me to only give them bragging rights for owning the latest new toy.

To each his own.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

M Lammerse
Forum ProPosts: 10,893
Like?
Bing Chow
Regular MemberPosts: 408
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

rubank wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

• sRAW

Because for some types of shooting full 36 MP is completely pointless. For example indoor sports where all your shots are ISO 3200+, 36 MP will just give you many MB of noise. 12MP SRAW taking 1/3 the card space and triple buffer space is much more sensible

Not if your lens are not long enough and you need to crop. Also, 36MP gives compositional options in post. I don't necessarily want the subject in the centre. Using off centre autofocus point requires that you move them around and the speed of the action may not allow for that. I am not a pro so I don't have 2 bodies or exotic teles that give me such an advantage.

sjprg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,833Gear list
Like?

The Sony A7R has already replaced my D800E for 95% of my use!

-- hide signature --

Paul

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,189Gear list
Like?
Re: I am interested, a few items I'll be looking at
In reply to rubank, 3 months ago

rubank wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

The AF accuracy is not so relevant at 16MP (D4s) but is very important at 36MP.

For the same output size there is no difference

(which doesn´t mean I don´t think accuracy is very important...).

I am assuming one uses all res that is available. If I were interested in printing only at 16MP, there would be no reason to go for the D810.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593
Like?
In reply to Bing Chow, 3 months ago

Bing Chow wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

rubank wrote:

ultimitsu wrote:

• sRAW

Because for some types of shooting full 36 MP is completely pointless. For example indoor sports where all your shots are ISO 3200+, 36 MP will just give you many MB of noise. 12MP SRAW taking 1/3 the card space and triple buffer space is much more sensible

Not if your lens are not long enough and you need to crop. Also, 36MP gives compositional options in post. I don't necessarily want the subject in the centre. Using off centre autofocus point requires that you move them around and the speed of the action may not allow for that. I am not a pro so I don't have 2 bodies or exotic teles that give me such an advantage.

You are not reading what you quoted properly. Did you see the sentence:

“where all your shots are ISO 3200+“

At iso 3200+ there is no extra detail, thus there is no extra cropping or composition headroom.

T O Shooter
Like?
In reply to sjprg, 3 months ago

sjprg wrote:

The Sony A7R has already replaced my D800E for 95% of my use!

-- hide signature --

Paul

Why?  And what do you shoot?

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: Hmm, excitement?
In reply to Stacey_K, 3 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

I just bought a D800 and honestly, I'm done being the early adopter of stuff like this. I never get a new computer OS until at least SP-2 has been released. Same with cameras, I wait till they have gotten the bugs out of production and the firmware before I am interested.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I agree completely.   Just look at the D600 / D610 situation as a very recent example.

I think the upgrades will be fine for somebody with a D7000/D7100 (or similar) looking to upgrade to an FX camera, but for my part, I have ZERO interest in upgrading my D800, which I just bought a few months ago myself.

The other thing I find, and your mileage may vary, I still use my D700 for different jobs.  Yes, image quality is far better on the D800, and I am very happy to have it, but some days, some situations, some jobs, the old D700 "workhorse" just is still better camera to use.

T O Shooter
Like?
No worries - be happy! And buy a D810
In reply to joneil, 3 months ago

joneil wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

I just bought a D800 and honestly, I'm done being the early adopter of stuff like this. I never get a new computer OS until at least SP-2 has been released. Same with cameras, I wait till they have gotten the bugs out of production and the firmware before I am interested.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

I agree completely. Just look at the D600 / D610 situation as a very recent example.

I think the upgrades will be fine for somebody with a D7000/D7100 (or similar) looking to upgrade to an FX camera, but for my part, I have ZERO interest in upgrading my D800, which I just bought a few months ago myself.

The other thing I find, and your mileage may vary, I still use my D700 for different jobs. Yes, image quality is far better on the D800, and I am very happy to have it, but some days, some situations, some jobs, the old D700 "workhorse" just is still better camera to use.

There may be concerns about early adopting a lot of things, but sitting here in June 2014, after the D600 oil fiasco and the D800 AF fiasco, there should be zero concerns about buying a D810. No way Nikon is going to let that be a concern. ( Might be famous last words on my account, but don't think so )

But for me, if the rumored specs are correct, the 810 will be my next body. I will not buy it new. I didn't pre-order a D800 but saw one for sale on Kijiji from a fellow who had pre-ordered but didn't want to pick it up, as he changed his mind and wanted a D4. I paid $200 over list but ended up with a new, never opened D800 on / around April 1, 2012. But not this time.

This time, being in the Toronto area with 6 million people in the Greater Toronto Area and about 7.5 million total in a short driving distance, I'm going to bet on this -

Some novice is going to go into a Henrys store and buy a D810. They are going to talk him into the $700+ 5 year fully transferrable, free replacement after sent in twice for repairs for same issue, warranty.

Said novice is going to find out it's "too much camera" for him and list it on Kijiji or Craigslist for $2600 to $2800 with 500 or 600 shots on it.

And that's how I'm going to get my next body with 5 year warranty. And that's precisely how I got my 800e and subsequently sold my 800. Still has 4 years of full transferrable, no hassle warranty. Even if it's the first 810 produced.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G5
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,453
Like?
In reply to Oldan New, 3 months ago

Oldan New wrote:

Look at the 5DM3 for $3500.  The D810 will be a relative bargain at $3200 in comparison.

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to inasir1971, 3 months ago

inasir1971 wrote:

I'd be more excited about an AF-S 135/1.8 or 2.0 with Nano coating...

With VR.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, 3 months ago

Mr Gadget wrote:

ebuddha wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

I sold mine 6 months ago in anticipation of this, but may leave for Sony after I see what gets announced at photokina.

I'm really hoping the AF is a big step forward, but even if they tighten up the tolerances, not sure it'll solve the focus shift problem found in a lot of great lenses (e.g. 14-24/2.8)

So, you sold your D800 6 months ago in anticipation of this event, what have you used in the interim? Many photographers (sic) follow this strategy which seems to me to only give them bragging rights for owning the latest new toy.

To each his own.

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Exactly!

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,895Gear list
Like?
Re: Hmm, excitement?
In reply to joneil, 3 months ago

joneil wrote:

I'm hoping that owners of older cameras (D800e!) will still be able to use CaptureNX2 to process RAW files from the D810.  I'm dreading when Nikon forces me to new processing software as I'll then (probably) lose all the NEF file edits and adjustments I've put into place for years.   Like when I went from CaptureNX to CaptureNX2 and lost all the filter adjustments I made with NIK filters.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,339
Like?

ultimitsu wrote:

hypercore360 wrote:

http://www.dailycameranews.com/2014/06/nikon-d810-name-confirmed/

• 36MP sensor
  • No low pass (AA) filter (just like the D800E, this time Nikon will only introduce one model without the AA filter)
  • Improved software to suppress moiré
  • Expeed 4 imaging processor (they may call it Expeed 4a)

Nothing exciting here

Correct.  Absolutely nothing exiting. 40mp would've half-perked one of my ears up, but even that would only be a slight difference in print latitude.

• Higher resolution LCD screen
  • Built-in GPS
  • 5 fps (6fps with the MB-D12)
  • The new camera will be lighter (compared to the D800/D800E)

Nice but incremental.

Screens are fine enough for me where they stand today on most cameras.  I don't need awesome LCD resolution although I do like the slick look.  Built in GPS I would use, if 5 fps was increased to 8 fps... THEN I that would get my attention.  Lighter than the current 800 series?  A fraction of an ounce lighter? Big whoptie-doo!

• sRAW

I would say that I'm surprised that it's taken Nikon this long but...

• 4k video is unlikely
  • No Built-in Wi-Fi

"Essential"?  I suppose if waiting all day to push big data between your camera and computer via WIFI is essential.  4k vid nice for those who work or dabble in areas where they or their clients would notice a difference...  which isn't most people... thereby making 4k vid not really "essential"  

I don't think Nikon can usher up a full stop of worthwhile ISO performance; worthwhile meaning at an ISO setting that people are likely to reasonably use, because the nosebleed ISO levels are all but worthless in most areas of photography that involves you getting paid.

• 4 centre autofocus points

Would be interesting to see what that is like.

I agree, a tight grouping of 4 highly sensitive focus points could be interesting for moving subjects; at the same time I'm not sue that the benefit would be any better than a single excellent center point for studio type work.

Will be interesting to see what comes to fruition.

-- hide signature --

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads