A few snaps with Sony FE 70-200mm f4 and a6000

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
A few snaps with Sony FE 70-200mm f4 and a6000
3 months ago

Over all I like the lens a lot. The weight is great. The reach on the a6000 is really nice.

But... I don't think I will keep it.

I honestly get better results with my Panasonic GH4 and Pany 35-100mm 2.8 (70-200mm equiv)

The GH4 focuses quicker in continuous and nails more shots (although not at 11fps)

I just miss not having the 2.8 with the Sony lens. And on the a6000 noise really starts creeping in way too early when you crank the iso.

The sony lens will be much better suited to a full frame cam. And it just looks silly on my a6000 and kinda defeats the object of a compact camera!

Anyways, a few pics from yesterday with a6000.

peace.

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NeilJones
Like?
Here are some with my GH4...
In reply to NeilJones, 3 months ago

Superb all round camera too!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,265Gear list
Like?
Why...

I'm sure you could have captured just as good shots using the A6000? If you have an A6000, what's the point in then also having an GH4? For video I can understand it. But it costs almost three times as much, plus it has lower resolution, lower iso rating, not as good AF system, and it is not as fast, just to mention some of the main things...

Not that I don't like the shots!

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
MarsObserver
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?
Re: Here are some with my GH4...

Please don't take this the wrong way Neil - the shots are very nice!  But... I would have hoped for some more subject isolation in both cases (eliminating the messy backgrounds).

The Sony looks like it's outperforming the Panasonic in this regard, but I'd love to see some more of these types of shots at 200mm f4.

MarsObserver's gear list:MarsObserver's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,505Gear list
Like?

I like the 70-200mm shots, nice depth of field.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Foxbat121
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

Superb all round camera too!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

The EXIF says these are shoot with FL of 21 to 29mm. How can these compare to Sony which the FL is at least 70mm + ? Besides, I don't really like the above photos because of too much DOF, a problem M43 in general due to smaller sensor size.

Foxbat121's gear list:Foxbat121's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +4 more
NeilJones
Like?
Re: Why...
In reply to 123Mike, 3 months ago

123Mike wrote:

I'm sure you could have captured just as good shots using the A6000? If you have an A6000, what's the point in then also having an GH4? For video I can understand it. But it costs almost three times as much, plus it has lower resolution, lower iso rating, not as good AF system, and it is not as fast, just to mention some of the main things...

I also own an Olympus OMD-EM1

Why?

Not that I don't like the shots!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
Re: A few snaps with Sony FE 70-200mm f4 and a6000

NeilJones wrote:

I honestly get better results with my Panasonic GH4 and Pany 35-100mm 2.8 (70-200mm equiv)

The GH4 focuses quicker in continuous and nails more shots (although not at 11fps)

I'm interested in this comparison, because clearly the M43 is lighter and smaller. But apart from focus speed, is there anything else that you feel better on the M43?

I just miss not having the 2.8 with the Sony lens.

For what reason? From a DoF point of view f/2.8 on a M43 system is substantially the same as f/4 on a APS-C. Perhaps you want one stop of more light for slower shutter speeds, but you could just use one more stop of ISO (see below).

And on the a6000 noise really starts creeping in way too early when you crank the iso.

Can you elaborate? DxOMark says the Sony is clearly better than the GH4 for noise - which is somewhat expected, since the Sony has got a larger sensor.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6000-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GH4-versus-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1___942_943_909

The sony lens will be much better suited to a full frame cam. And it just looks silly on my a6000 and kinda defeats the object of a compact camera!

That's a good point, and it's my only doubt about that lens. That's why I'm really curious about the IQ of the 35-100.

It would be great if you could post some side-by-side examples, I mean the same still subject at the same moment with both systems, same settings (just one stop faster for the M43).

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +15 more
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,223Gear list
Like?

Those are at 2.8?  Looks like a snapshot from a P&S.  That 110 format sensor doesn't seem to allow any separation.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,443Gear list
Like?
In reply to stoppingdown, 3 months ago

stoppingdown wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

That's a good point, and it's my only doubt about that lens. That's why I'm really curious about the IQ of the 35-100.

I shoot the GH3 with that lens, and it's excellent. While I can't post any side by side examples, I can vouch for the quality of the Panny lens. And it is really small and light, especially when commpared to the FF equivilants.

However, follow-focusing is the weakness of any m4/3 can I've ever used. CDAF just can't match PDAF for continuous focusing. I haven't shot the new Olympus, though.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Bruce Granofsky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

Over all I like the lens a lot. The weight is great. The reach on the a6000 is really nice.

Agreed except for your statement 'The weight is great'.

The weight and size of this lens belies the whole concept of a smaller mirror less camera.

Why not just put up with a little more weight and size and just shoot with a much more capable SLR?

Better CanNikon lens selection, quicker camera in AF, and just all around better IQ when shooting FullFrame?

As for your your GH4 shots, Sorry, they just look like they could have been taken with almost any Point & Shoot.

Bruce Granofsky's gear list:Bruce Granofsky's gear list
Sony RX1 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Leica M Typ 240 +15 more
le_alain
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?
Re: Why...

NeilJones wrote:

I also own an Olympus OMD-EM1

Why?

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

Yes, why ?

le_alain's gear list:le_alain's gear list
Fujifilm X20
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913
Like?
In reply to Bruce Granofsky, 3 months ago

I have the 70-200 and I think you can get better subject isolation if used in the correct manner

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3676810

Ian

JurijTurnsek
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 3 months ago

steelhead3 wrote:

Those are at 2.8? Looks like a snapshot from a P&S. That 110 format sensor doesn't seem to allow any separation.

I used to think the DOF difference between APS-C and MFT would be less obvious, but this is really bad. Practically everything is in focus ... makes you wonder why bother with a MFT system and not just get a 1" bridge camera.

JurijTurnsek's gear list:JurijTurnsek's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
JohnNewman
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
In reply to JurijTurnsek, 3 months ago

JurijTurnsek wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

Those are at 2.8? Looks like a snapshot from a P&S. That 110 format sensor doesn't seem to allow any separation.

I used to think the DOF difference between APS-C and MFT would be less obvious, but this is really bad. Practically everything is in focus ... makes you wonder why bother with a MFT system and not just get a 1" bridge camera.

+1  We're going to get to the stage in a couple of years (not quite there yet) where (IMHO) MFT and APS-C are going to be superfluous. The 1" sensor will improve to the current quality of APS-C and an all-round kit will comprise of a lightweight 1" camera (or two) with a corresponding full frame body and lens(es).

Even at the moment I'd be fairly happy with a RX100, RX 10 and A7 with a couple of primes.

But still shooting a mirrored DSLR for the time being but probably not for long

John (just my opinion YMMV)

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Nikon D7100
clail
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
In reply to Foxbat121, 3 months ago

Yes, how do you get 21-29mm with a 35-100?

clail's gear list:clail's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +7 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 953
Like?
In reply to dmanthree, 3 months ago

dmanthree wrote:

stoppingdown wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

I shoot the GH3 with that lens, and it's excellent. While I can't post any side by side examples, I can vouch for the quality of the Panny lens. And it is really small and light, especially when commpared to the FF equivilants.

However, follow-focusing is the weakness of any m4/3 can I've ever used. CDAF just can't match PDAF for continuous focusing. I haven't shot the new Olympus, though.

-- hide signature --

You do realize that a FF 'equivalent' lens to the Pana 35-100mm f/2.8, would be a 70-200mm f/5.6, do you know any 70-200 f/5.6 FF lenses since you are doing a size comparison? I would assure you that such a lens would be very similar in size to the current Pana 35-100mm f/2.8.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 3 months ago

spacemn wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

stoppingdown wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

-- hide signature --

You do realize that a FF 'equivalent' lens to the Pana 35-100mm f/2.8, would be a 70-200mm f/5.6, do you know any 70-200 f/5.6 FF lenses since you are doing a size comparison? I would assure you that such a lens would be very similar in size to the current Pana 35-100mm f/2.8.

Uh.....no. F2.8 is f2.8, as far as light gathering ability goes. Depth of field is different, yes. But 2.8 is 2.8 when it comes to exposure calculations, so I compare the 35-100 2.8 to anyone's 70-200 2.8.  If I wanted to compare slow lenses, I'd compare the Panny 40-150, which is the closest to compare, until Pannys new 35-100 is released later this year. It's designed to compliment the GM1, and it's really, really tiny.

m4/3 lenses are smaller, of that there is no doubt.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 3 months ago

steelhead3 wrote:

Look at the EXIF. None were shot with a tele-zoom. They are not good examples of what that cam/lens is capable of.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,034Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

I just miss not having the 2.8 with the Sony lens. And on the a6000 noise really starts creeping in way too early when you crank the iso.

But f2.8 on M43 should be roughly equivalent to f4 on APS-C.

Once you get into tele lengths, the whole compact thing kinda breaks down.  Even so, you do not always have to carry and use the long lens.

Anyways, a few pics from yesterday with a6000.

peace.

Photos from both cameras are nice, but did you realize that your A6000 shots all had some subject isolation and de-focused backgrounds, while the other shots had a large DOF?  I think that is pretty striking.  I'm surprised that they don't look more similar, but there it is.  (Maybe a test with both of them taking the same subject would help confirm?)

Most people are probably going to prefer the more shallow DOF.  If you prefer a larger DOF, that might be an argument for a "slower" lens.  Maybe try the 55-210 on the A6000?    But seriously, since these two sets of photos were in different situations, it could just be some other factor that is affecting the DOF so much.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads