Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,869Gear list
Like?
Do you really need 1000mm for bugs??
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

phazelag wrote:

I think the FZ1000 is going to find a market that will not be the previous FZ200 fan base unless you have other interest besides ... Bugs.

I am pretty sure for bugs 400mm is enough. Maybe a macro filter too.

20MP would be a lot better than 12MP too.

 Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,264Gear list
Like?
Re: Back to the beginning...
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

I don't get the sense that people are unhappy and/or complaining.  The discussions seem to be

1. This is a really nice camera, which is for most uses a significant improvement over FZ200, at a competitive (albeit increased) price.

2. It may not fill my favorite niche (typically birding) better than the FZ200 does.

 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maven19
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: I am not disappointed, I was surprised
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

phazelag wrote:

maven19 wrote:

I've been following some of the recent posts, and there is a lot of threads comparing the FZ200 to the FZ1000, and trying to figure how to get more reach or 'equate it'

I think most people are forgetting something important. The FZ1000 is not the replacement model for the FZ200, but rather for the FZ50.

The FZ200 successor is not here yet, just like there was a gap between the FZ50 and FZ1000, there will be long gap for the FZ200. It's futile to compare and then end up arguing a camera that isn't supposed to be doing isn't doing it.

The successor to the FZ200 will either have greater reach (900mm) at aperture f 2.8, and probably a bigger sensor (2/3'), though I feel it won't be the 1' inch, otherwise it would just cut into the sales of the FZ1000.

Just my opinion, I'll check back on this post a year from now

Cheers

Maven19,

that would be wonderful for a lot of people if that was the case. What makes you think this? I can't find any evidence on the internet that another Panasonic Superzoom is looming. I think many of are looking at the FZ1000 as possibly being able to replace our FZ200s for most shots even to 600 with cropping. For those who use and rely on Teleconverters on the FZ200 they may have to stay with what they have. I am interested in both options.

My dream FZ would have the LF1 sensor, have the GH4 EVF and processor like the FZ1000 has, and reach 900 even at f4 would be cool. Weather sealing and the Olympus type Red Dot site would be a bonus!. I would pay $699 for that!

I spoke to Panasonic rep at a trade show last month.  He actually worked in Japan, but was in North America for the show, and then heading to Mexico, ye.. you could take his word with a grain of salt, but I didn't feel like he was lying.  He said the FZ200 wont be this year,..asked when then.. he just replied some time later, but not this year, and he struggled to say that as I think he knew more about the topic but had to be tight lipped.  He did say they are working on something to replace FZ200.  He also mentioned, engineering wise, the FZ200 was the most difficult project his R&D colleagues had, and that the time it takes from concept, to prototype to product, is around 2 years. So, I'm basing my conclusion on that, I do feel there will be a successor FZ200 in the future, but FZ1000 is not the replacement. 
Its also totally possible that the FZ1000 is not meant to replace the FZ50 at all, and is the beginning of a new line. The FZxx, the FZxxx, and the new FZxxxx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: I am not disappointed, I was surprised
In reply to maven19, 6 months ago

maven19 wrote:

phazelag wrote:

maven19 wrote:

I've been following some of the recent posts, and there is a lot of threads comparing the FZ200 to the FZ1000, and trying to figure how to get more reach or 'equate it'

I think most people are forgetting something important. The FZ1000 is not the replacement model for the FZ200, but rather for the FZ50.

The FZ200 successor is not here yet, just like there was a gap between the FZ50 and FZ1000, there will be long gap for the FZ200. It's futile to compare and then end up arguing a camera that isn't supposed to be doing isn't doing it.

The successor to the FZ200 will either have greater reach (900mm) at aperture f 2.8, and probably a bigger sensor (2/3'), though I feel it won't be the 1' inch, otherwise it would just cut into the sales of the FZ1000.

Just my opinion, I'll check back on this post a year from now

Cheers

Maven19,

that would be wonderful for a lot of people if that was the case. What makes you think this? I can't find any evidence on the internet that another Panasonic Superzoom is looming. I think many of are looking at the FZ1000 as possibly being able to replace our FZ200s for most shots even to 600 with cropping. For those who use and rely on Teleconverters on the FZ200 they may have to stay with what they have. I am interested in both options.

My dream FZ would have the LF1 sensor, have the GH4 EVF and processor like the FZ1000 has, and reach 900 even at f4 would be cool. Weather sealing and the Olympus type Red Dot site would be a bonus!. I would pay $699 for that!

I spoke to Panasonic rep at a trade show last month. He actually worked in Japan, but was in North America for the show, and then heading to Mexico, ye.. you could take his word with a grain of salt, but I didn't feel like he was lying. He said the FZ200 wont be this year,..asked when then.. he just replied some time later, but not this year, and he struggled to say that as I think he knew more about the topic but had to be tight lipped. He did say they are working on something to replace FZ200. He also mentioned, engineering wise, the FZ200 was the most difficult project his R&D colleagues had, and that the time it takes from concept, to prototype to product, is around 2 years. So, I'm basing my conclusion on that, I do feel there will be a successor FZ200 in the future, but FZ1000 is not the replacement.
Its also totally possible that the FZ1000 is not meant to replace the FZ50 at all, and is the beginning of a new line. The FZxx, the FZxxx, and the new FZxxxx

Great Information! Thanks

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Back to the beginning...
In reply to sherman_levine, 6 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

I don't get the sense that people are unhappy and/or complaining. The discussions seem to be

1. This is a really nice camera, which is for most uses a significant improvement over FZ200, at a competitive (albeit increased) price.

2. It may not fill my favorite niche (typically birding) better than the FZ200 does.

Your probably right,  I don't think its complaints, just disappointment that it didn't address a specific need.

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?
am i missing something ?
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

just screw the cannon 58b tele converter straight on the lens with a 58 to 62 mm reducer ? the canon is just as good as any of the Nikons. weather it works better on the f1000 compared to the fz150 is another story.

cheers don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you really need 1000mm for bugs??
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

phazelag wrote:

I think the FZ1000 is going to find a market that will not be the previous FZ200 fan base unless you have other interest besides ... Bugs.

I am pretty sure for bugs 400mm is enough. Maybe a macro filter too.

20MP would be a lot better than 12MP too.

No you don't but it helps sometimes trying shoot a butterfly.
--
http://scottsfunphotography.blogspot.com
http://www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag
http://motivationmachine.net/

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 5,002Gear list
Like?
Re: am i missing something ?
In reply to Donald B, 6 months ago

Donald B wrote:

just screw the cannon 58b tele converter straight on the lens with a 58 to 62 mm reducer ? the canon is just as good as any of the Nikons. weather it works better on the f1000 compared to the fz150 is another story.

There is a concern that the new DFD focusing method - which relies on the lens's "bokeh" characteristics when determining which direction and how far to drive the focus motor - could be spoofed by the additional glass.  We need to see if/how well they can play together.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DUBTEMPLE
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
TC's Canon vs Nikon
In reply to Donald B, 6 months ago

Donald B wrote:

just screw the cannon 58b tele converter straight on the lens with a 58 to 62 mm reducer ? the canon is just as good as any of the Nikons.

Sounds new to me, I thought TC-E17ED was king, (folowed by TC-E15ED), is there someting very special about 58B ???

I guess 58A is the bigger brother to 58B, and its been reported only sharp arounf F5.6, (just like most other TC's eccept for the Nikons), also I read that the canons are decent, but a bit corner-weak perhaps,..

 DUBTEMPLE's gear list:DUBTEMPLE's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,984
Like?
Giving Up Reach for Quality
In reply to DUBTEMPLE, 6 months ago

Those like me, who have a 1,200mm lens with telex capability, would lose even more than FZ200 users with the FZ1000. But why give up the older superzoom models? They wouldn't bring much on the used market, so if I were to buy an FZ1000, I'd keep and use them both. I take a small backpack when I go photo shooting, so there's plenty of carrying room. It's also nice to have a backup camera with me. I've actually got six working superzoom cameras and one 10X plus telex camcorder and I've only sold one I no longer used.

It's like the difference between taking one child for a walk or taking two. A bit more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, not something that's really difficult. Three kids or cameras, can be a lot more problematic.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Giving Up Reach for Quality
In reply to Stephen McDonald, 6 months ago

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Those like me, who have a 1,200mm lens with telex capability, would lose even more than FZ200 users with the FZ1000. But why give up the older superzoom models? They wouldn't bring much on the used market, so if I were to buy an FZ1000, I'd keep and use them both. I take a small backpack when I go photo shooting, so there's plenty of carrying room. It's also nice to have a backup camera with me. I've actually got six working superzoom cameras and one 10X plus telex camcorder and I've only sold one I no longer used.

It's like the difference between taking one child for a walk or taking two. A bit more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, not something that's really difficult. Three kids or cameras, can be a lot more problematic.

-- hide signature --

I agree.  I just gave my son my FZ200 as I am shooting with the RX10 a lot right now.  I will still use the FZ200 for occasions. When I get the FZ1000 I will let me daughter use the G5 and we will be a photography family all sharing the same batteries!  My littlest one shoots with my wifes old Casio SD900 which is still good today.  It has the larger sensor.   She is 5 but can operate basic functions and is getting good with composition for her age.

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,984
Like?
Re: Giving Up Reach for Quality
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

phazelag wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Those like me, who have a 1,200mm lens with telex capability, would lose even more than FZ200 users with the FZ1000. But why give up the older superzoom models? They wouldn't bring much on the used market, so if I were to buy an FZ1000, I'd keep and use them both. I take a small backpack when I go photo shooting, so there's plenty of carrying room. It's also nice to have a backup camera with me. I've actually got six working superzoom cameras and one 10X plus telex camcorder and I've only sold one I no longer used.

It's like the difference between taking one child for a walk or taking two. A bit more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, not something that's really difficult. Three kids or cameras, can be a lot more problematic.

-- hide signature --

I agree. I just gave my son my FZ200 as I am shooting with the RX10 a lot right now. I will still use the FZ200 for occasions. When I get the FZ1000 I will let me daughter use the G5 and we will be a photography family all sharing the same batteries! My littlest one shoots with my wifes old Casio SD900 which is still good today. It has the larger sensor. She is 5 but can operate basic functions and is getting good with composition for her age.

That's just great. Everything about her social and mental capacity will expand, with a demanding task like that to stimulate her development. For too many kids, there's such a bleak amount of such opportunity and a lack of encouragement by their parents to be creative. You'll be rewarded many times over for every good thing like this you make possible for them.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: Giving Up Reach for Quality
In reply to Stephen McDonald, 6 months ago

Stephen McDonald wrote:

phazelag wrote:

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Those like me, who have a 1,200mm lens with telex capability, would lose even more than FZ200 users with the FZ1000. But why give up the older superzoom models? They wouldn't bring much on the used market, so if I were to buy an FZ1000, I'd keep and use them both. I take a small backpack when I go photo shooting, so there's plenty of carrying room. It's also nice to have a backup camera with me. I've actually got six working superzoom cameras and one 10X plus telex camcorder and I've only sold one I no longer used.

It's like the difference between taking one child for a walk or taking two. A bit more complicated, but once you get the hang of it, not something that's really difficult. Three kids or cameras, can be a lot more problematic.

-- hide signature --

I agree. I just gave my son my FZ200 as I am shooting with the RX10 a lot right now. I will still use the FZ200 for occasions. When I get the FZ1000 I will let me daughter use the G5 and we will be a photography family all sharing the same batteries! My littlest one shoots with my wifes old Casio SD900 which is still good today. It has the larger sensor. She is 5 but can operate basic functions and is getting good with composition for her age.

That's just great. Everything about her social and mental capacity will expand, with a demanding task like that to stimulate her development. For too many kids, there's such a bleak amount of such opportunity and a lack of encouragement by their parents to be creative. You'll be rewarded many times over for every good thing like this you make possible for them.

-- hide signature --

Thanks I hope so!

 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,984
Like?
Re: Do you really need 1000mm for bugs??
In reply to Lab D, 6 months ago

Lab D wrote:

phazelag wrote:

I think the FZ1000 is going to find a market that will not be the previous FZ200 fan base unless you have other interest besides ... Bugs.

I am pretty sure for bugs 400mm is enough. Maybe a macro filter too.

20MP would be a lot better than 12MP too.

Well, my ideal superzoom camera would have about 8-MP, on the same size sensor, with all the advanced technology that makes it possible to have 20-MP. Then, we could have many of the advantages of the larger pixels of a mid-sized sensor and a long zoom reach as well.

-
Steve McDonald
http://www.ipernity.com/home/305883
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth and Slam Code Directory on OneDrive:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=229807ce52dd4fe0

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,884Gear list
Like?
Re: Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000
In reply to phazelag, 6 months ago

I was pretty sure that this wasn't the replacement for the FZ200 and then I started to doubt that proposition. The FZ1000 is the first camera that Panasonic has released in their "bridge camera" line that surpasses most of the things that the FZ200 does. It was obvious when the FZ70 came out last year that it wasn't a replacement, it had a huge zoom, but fell short in many other areas. The FZ1000 only falls short in two areas - outright reach and a non constant aperture, other than that its features are superior to the FZ200. The two areas where the FZ1000 falls short may be overcome by the bigger sensor, which will help negate the zoom and aperture advantages of the 200. In just about every other aspect that I can think of its way better than the FZ200. So once its on the market and the real world images start appearing, some nice person here will post some images showing that by cropping the FZ1000's image you can equal or exceed the FZ200, then I'll probably buy one. At the moment, its a very interesting camera and will probably be an excellent all rounder for many people, which could include me.

Another reason I thought it may not be the FZ200's replacement was the name. FZ1000 is not a sequential name for a camera that many thought would be the FZ250. So are Panasonic trying to separate this line from the current FZ series? If so, maybe there will be a true replacement for the FZ200 somewhere in the future, ie the FZ250.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

 Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,623Gear list
Like?
Re: TC's Canon vs Nikon
In reply to DUBTEMPLE, 6 months ago

DUBTEMPLE wrote:

Donald B wrote:

just screw the cannon 58b tele converter straight on the lens with a 58 to 62 mm reducer ? the canon is just as good as any of the Nikons.

Sounds new to me, I thought TC-E17ED was king, (folowed by TC-E15ED), is there someting very special about 58B ???

I guess 58A is the bigger brother to 58B, and its been reported only sharp arounf F5.6, (just like most other TC's eccept for the Nikons), also I read that the canons are decent, but a bit corner-weak perhaps,..

the canon is super light, and when used on the fz150 it does not degrade the image at all. I have a friend that has them all and the 58b is just as good as the 17 and better than the 15. and can be screwed straight to the lens.

cheers don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads