Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,342Gear list
Like?
Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000
4 months ago

I own and love my FZ200 and I love the reach.  But I find that with animals and bugs, you can never have enough reach.  From the number of posts about adding a teleconverter to the FZ1000 this may not be the ideal camera for them.  The post from hardcore FZ200 guys seem to show a lot of disappointment.

I already dread screwing my teleconverter on my FZ200 as it limits the wide end and taking it off and on is OK but then I have to carry a bag to put it in when its off.  Overall for me, I think the teleconverter is great for specific shots, but I was already looking at other longer super zoom options.  I am even willing to sacrifice aperture at the long end to not have to carry a teleconverter.   The Olympus SP100EE with the built in red dot site seemed interesting to me, but I am not confident in the quality.

I think the FZ1000 is going to find a market that will not be the previous FZ200 fan base unless you have other interest besides Birds and Bugs.  I still would like to see an FZ250 with the LF1,LX7 sensor and I would give up the wide end for more reach if that would help much.  28-900 f2.8 to f4 even.

I know many say that lens can't be built, but those same types said the FZ1000 couldn't be done also.   Between the RX10, the FZ1000, and the Stylus 1 I think we are starting to see what is possible.

I think the FZ1000 will be useful to me for many purposes and should be a great all around work horse that may allow some animal shots, if they get close enough.  It will be more like Bow hunting than using a rifle.  But some shot will still require the rifle.   I doubt the FZ1000 will be the pride and joy of bird photographers like the FZ200 is.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
hschultz
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?
Re: Post from FZ200 fans show disappointment in the FZ1000
In reply to phazelag, 4 months ago

I don't think the new FZ1000 is targeted toward birders, but for me, the father of two active sons, it appears (at least on paper) to be just about right!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phazelag
Like?
In reply to hschultz, 4 months ago

hschultz wrote:

I don't think the new FZ1000 is targeted toward birders, but for me, the father of two active sons, it appears (at least on paper) to be just about right!

I am in the boat too!  I think this camera is for a human critters! It will be great capturing sports and even my daughters theater performances.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 2,262
Like?

phazelag wrote:

I own and love my FZ200 and I love the reach. But I find that with animals and bugs, you can never have enough reach. From the number of posts about adding a teleconverter to the FZ1000 this may not be the ideal camera for them. The post from hardcore FZ200 guys seem to show a lot of disappointment.

Maybe I'm different to most other people or something. I mean, I absolutely love birding with ~1000mm of reach. But when I'm out with my E-M5, I absolutely love birding with 600mm of reach. And even if a TC solution is unworkable for the FZ1000, I bet I will absolutely love birding with only 400mm of reach. I've certainly done it before.

Maybe it's because I really enjoy the careful stalking aspect of birding as well. It's kind of like a slow, relaxed, meditative, aware, bonding with nature, or whatever. Either that or it's just snapping away at easy targets at my local zoo/bird sanctuary, which can be all kinds of fun too.

It's also about playing to the strengths and working around the weaknesses of different sorts of gear, which is another aspect of this hobby I really enjoy.

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,991Gear list
Like?

Let's not forget that no one camera is the best camera for every setting. Even with a DSLR, the camera evolves as you place different lenses on for different purposes. I think Panasonic should be congratulated for putting together what appears to be an excellent blend of features that will be the leader in its category. If the FZ1000 doesn't have the reach one needs for birding, then pick up the FZ70 for less money than a good telephoto lens would be for a DSLR.

I really don't think people should be complaining at this stage of the game. I think it may a bit larger and heavier than I'd like--but I haven't even held one yet. I have the FZ150 I can use or I can upgrade to the FZ200 if weight and size are my main concerns.

-- hide signature --

If life is, indeed, a journey, ask yourself how you can make it as interesting as possible, so that at each day's end, you can give a good accounting of what you have learned.

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
phazelag
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 4 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

phazelag wrote:

I own and love my FZ200 and I love the reach. But I find that with animals and bugs, you can never have enough reach. From the number of posts about adding a teleconverter to the FZ1000 this may not be the ideal camera for them. The post from hardcore FZ200 guys seem to show a lot of disappointment.

Maybe I'm different to most other people or something. I mean, I absolutely love birding with ~1000mm of reach. But when I'm out with my E-M5, I absolutely love birding with 600mm of reach. And even if a TC solution is unworkable for the FZ1000, I bet I will absolutely love birding with only 400mm of reach. I've certainly done it before.

Maybe it's because I really enjoy the careful stalking aspect of birding as well. It's kind of like a slow, relaxed, meditative, aware, bonding with nature, or whatever. Either that or it's just snapping away at easy targets at my local zoo/bird sanctuary, which can be all kinds of fun too.

It's also about playing to the strengths and working around the weaknesses of different sorts of gear, which is another aspect of this hobby I really enjoy.

Sounds like fun Cainn24.  I borrowed some techniques from LTZ400 like putting out bird seed to attract birds!  I also like to wait and be patient as you said.  I find I get the best photos after the birds are used to my presence.

manthasfamily
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,868Gear list
Like?

First off, I think before people show disappointment in the camera they need to wait until it comes out.

Wondering about teleconverters.... people need to wait and see. But think about it this way, The FZ200 is a 12mp camera and the FZ1000 is a 20mp so there is cropping ability there.

As for not having the constant aperture.... here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWqVXehu8I to a video that may be helpful, it talks a lot about what can be done with it, plus talks about not having a constant aperture. Might not be the best one out there, but it isn't bad.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

manthasfamily's gear list:manthasfamily's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +2 more
phazelag
Like?
In reply to manthasfamily, 4 months ago

manthasfamily wrote:

First off, I think before people show disappointment in the camera they need to wait until it comes out.

Wondering about teleconverters.... people need to wait and see. But think about it this way, The FZ200 is a 12mp camera and the FZ1000 is a 20mp so there is cropping ability there.

As for not having the constant aperture.... here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWqVXehu8I to a video that may be helpful, it talks a lot about what can be done with it, plus talks about not having a constant aperture. Might not be the best one out there, but it isn't bad.

-- hide signature --

Karen
If it pleases you then to hell what everyone else thinks!

I agree completely.

David 247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to cainn24, 4 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

I would agree with this.  The best of my bird photos were all taken within a 400mm equivalent range.  Less atmospheric haze, better detail, etc.

So very true.  A couple of months ago I sat down and went through 13 years of digital photography to see what I was actually shooting, what focal lengths and ISO's.   85% of everything shot was at ISO's of 400 or below, and focal lengths from 24 to 200mm.   Focal lengths longer then 400mm were less then 10%  and fewer then 300 images ever shot over ISO 1600 (out of a catalogue in excess of 10,000 images).   The keeper rate for images longer then 400mm and ISO higher then 800 were substantially less as well.   But then I grew up in photography when 200-300mm was considered long, and ISO 400 was super fast, there was no auto focus and no auto exposure.  As a result I taught myself techniques that compensated for equipment shortfalls and challenged me to improve my photographic vision.   When longer, faster lenses and automation came out, I found myself getting lazy, depending on equipment rather then skill.   My quality of photography and quantity of keepers decreased.   Now days I am going back to the older methods and find photography much more satisfying and relaxing, even meditative like.   I never worry about the shots I missed but focus on the next really good shot I will get and the end result is more satisfying results all the time.

If I was a professional bird or wildlife photographer I would make different choices, but my primary interest is in documentary and travel photo these days.  To that end, the FZ1000 looks very, very good to me and with a budding interest in video a great learning tool.  An excellent compromise.   Of course I could carry a larger format high end kit around and did for many, many years, but for me, that was more of a distraction then a benefit.   In my professional years, I shot mostly with large format and medium format, even in the field.   35mm was only a "desperation" option.   But I was much stronger and more agile in those days.  I have had several DSLR or interchangeable lens cameras and they have their place, but often again became a distraction rather then a solution, plus in later years their size and weight became even more annoying.

With the FZ150, which I still shoot with in RAW, I find that 83% again were shot at 35mm equivalent focal lengths less then 400.  Of those shot at greater focal lengths, the keeper rate drops by at least 60%.  The FZ1000 is only nominally larger and heavier then the FZ50 (one of my all time favorites) so is for me, actually an optimal balance in size, weight and ergonomics (based upon images and not yet handling).  Further, with its pixel size that is nearly 3 times the size of FZ150 pixels, and its 20.1 resolution, images shot with the FZ1000 can be cropped to the same 12.1 megapixels of the FZ150 providing an equivalent focal length of about 650mm (slightly longer) and yet also providing approx 30-40% reduced noise and improved DR due to larger pixel size even after cropping.   Further that is at F4.0 instead of at 5.2 so about ⅔ stop faster.   So I don't see myself giving up anything with the FZ1000 vs FZ150 that I have now and gaining an acceptable (to me) amount in weight and size and ergonomics that are more to my liking plus greatly improved IQ and DR.    If compared to the FZ200 with its constant F2.8 aperture, then the story changes a little, but not much.  The FZ1000 still looks like an excellent balance to fit my shooting interests and style.  I suspect there are more then just a few others like me.  Still quite a few of us old school photographers.

The video is also a part of my considerations.  Only recently started playing with video but found it has rejuvenated my photographic vision and helped to improve my still photography as well as I learn to see things in new ways.   The two disciplines are different but complementary.

Now the only challenge is how to come up with the money to buy it.  

-- hide signature --

- David
"The only good camera is the one you have with you when opportunity provides the inspiration"
http://lightweaver.zenfolio.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/davidwendelrobinson

David 247's gear list:David 247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
phazelag
Like?
In reply to David 247, 4 months ago

David 247 wrote:

cainn24 wrote:

I would agree with this. The best of my bird photos were all taken within a 400mm equivalent range. Less atmospheric haze, better detail, etc.

So very true. A couple of months ago I sat down and went through 13 years of digital photography to see what I was actually shooting, what focal lengths and ISO's. 85% of everything shot was at ISO's of 400 or below, and focal lengths from 24 to 200mm. Focal lengths longer then 400mm were less then 10% and fewer then 300 images ever shot over ISO 1600 (out of a catalogue in excess of 10,000 images). The keeper rate for images longer then 400mm and ISO higher then 800 were substantially less as well. But then I grew up in photography when 200-300mm was considered long, and ISO 400 was super fast, there was no auto focus and no auto exposure. As a result I taught myself techniques that compensated for equipment shortfalls and challenged me to improve my photographic vision. When longer, faster lenses and automation came out, I found myself getting lazy, depending on equipment rather then skill. My quality of photography and quantity of keepers decreased. Now days I am going back to the older methods and find photography much more satisfying and relaxing, even meditative like. I never worry about the shots I missed but focus on the next really good shot I will get and the end result is more satisfying results all the time.

If I was a professional bird or wildlife photographer I would make different choices, but my primary interest is in documentary and travel photo these days. To that end, the FZ1000 looks very, very good to me and with a budding interest in video a great learning tool. An excellent compromise. Of course I could carry a larger format high end kit around and did for many, many years, but for me, that was more of a distraction then a benefit. In my professional years, I shot mostly with large format and medium format, even in the field. 35mm was only a "desperation" option. But I was much stronger and more agile in those days. I have had several DSLR or interchangeable lens cameras and they have their place, but often again became a distraction rather then a solution, plus in later years their size and weight became even more annoying.

With the FZ150, which I still shoot with in RAW, I find that 83% again were shot at 35mm equivalent focal lengths less then 400. Of those shot at greater focal lengths, the keeper rate drops by at least 60%. The FZ1000 is only nominally larger and heavier then the FZ50 (one of my all time favorites) so is for me, actually an optimal balance in size, weight and ergonomics (based upon images and not yet handling). Further, with its pixel size that is nearly 3 times the size of FZ150 pixels, and its 20.1 resolution, images shot with the FZ1000 can be cropped to the same 12.1 megapixels of the FZ150 providing an equivalent focal length of about 650mm (slightly longer) and yet also providing approx 30-40% reduced noise and improved DR due to larger pixel size even after cropping. Further that is at F4.0 instead of at 5.2 so about ⅔ stop faster. So I don't see myself giving up anything with the FZ1000 vs FZ150 that I have now and gaining an acceptable (to me) amount in weight and size and ergonomics that are more to my liking plus greatly improved IQ and DR. If compared to the FZ200 with its constant F2.8 aperture, then the story changes a little, but not much. The FZ1000 still looks like an excellent balance to fit my shooting interests and style. I suspect there are more then just a few others like me. Still quite a few of us old school photographers.

The video is also a part of my considerations. Only recently started playing with video but found it has rejuvenated my photographic vision and helped to improve my still photography as well as I learn to see things in new ways. The two disciplines are different but complementary.

Now the only challenge is how to come up with the money to buy it.

-- hide signature --

- David
"The only good camera is the one you have with you when opportunity provides the inspiration"
http://lightweaver.zenfolio.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/davidwendelrobinson

Very thoughtful and true.  I think I would be similar.  But I think my percentages would change more depending on my camera.  Because when I carry my FZ200, I almost always have my Ricoh GR in my pocket or if I want wider and I am on a hike I keep the Ricoh attached to my TrekPod mono/tripod/hiking stick, with my FZ200 on a sling on my hip.

I have never liked the wide shots I have taken with my FZ200 even though they are totally acceptable, but when you have the Ricoh in your pocket (or before that I used the GF3 and 14mm), your going to use those.

I find that most of my FZ200 shots are from 114-600 because I just use it like a long lens choice for sports, birds, and theater performances.  Being a prime shooter mostly, instead of changing lenses usually I just change cameras.   I have the Ricoh GR from 21 or 28mm, I use the G5 with my 25mm f1.4, or the Oly 45mm., and I go long with the FZ200.  Usually I am shooting either close or long so the Ricoh and the FZ200 are my work horses, but when I am doing portraits or something specific the G5 comes out.

I just go the RX10 and I am evaluating it.  Its a blast so far, but its not really excellent at wide like the Ricoh or excellent at far like the FZ200.  I think the FZ1000 still won't replace my Ricoh for wide shots, but it could give my many options.

As far as keeper rates on long shots, I have lots of keepers.  Actually too many from the FZ200 because I shoot at 5.5AF for Birds, Sports, and theater to get options.  Almost 80% are quite usable, but I don't want to store step by step movies, so I pick the best and delete the rest!

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,803Gear list
Like?

Your title just doesn't sound right. The FZ200 is arguably the best non-50X superzoom camera available today, so it's kind of weird to hear disappointment from those who already have what's considered as the best!

But then, you are 100% correct. No matter how good the FZ200 is, it could be better. It could remember some settings like focus size, bracketing, or the fact that you're using the self-timer. It could have separate remote control and microphone jacks. It could provide a standard 3.5mm microphone jack instead of 2.5mm. It could have a rubberized viewfinder. It could use a control ring around the lens. It could produce better OOC JPEGs like the FZ150. It could slice bread, but it doesn't. It looks like the FZ1000 might address many of these and more, so I can see the point.

But for most, the FZ200 primarily suffers from its pinhead sensor and limited reach. It's been two years since the FZ200's arrival and we've already seen one expected refresh cycle come and go and are on the verge of seeing a repeat. Many have been patiently awaiting the FZ200 upgrade to a 1/1.7" sensor as the next logical step for the FZ, a move that many hoped would make the "FZ250" a truly do-it-all long-reach camera. And the 1/1.7" sensor should offer improved croppability if the lens couldn't get any longer. (Personally, I believe that the 1/1.7" sensor coupled with the FZ does not currently provide enough of an improvement to merit the change in form factor.)

To read that the FZ jumped up to a 1" sensor could only mean that any FZ200 IQ issues and possibly its limited reach finally all in the past! Wow, a 1" sensor to go along with all the other improvements, well that would seem to finally solve any/all issues that the FZ200 might have. OK, so we don't have a constant f/2.8 - well the improved sensor can help with that. And we don't quite have the reach - well no problem, we can crop! And it's an FZ so we can also throw a teleconverter out front! It'll be a super FZ200! Aw crap, there are no adapter tube threads. And there are questions about whether DFD would work with one. Yes, disappointment.

On the bright side, the FZ1000 is hopefully just the first in a line of 1" FZ models that will eventually "reach" the needs of birders as well. Let's hope the FZ1000 idoes not become the next FZ50 "jack of all trades" that gets ignored for several years. And lets double down that we don't see both the FZ200 and FZ1000 left untouched.

But for now, let's be happy that the FZ50 stalwarts finally get a chance to play - even if that means FZ200 aficionados need to take their turn "riding the pine".

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
phazelag
Like?
I am not disappointed, I was surprised
In reply to kkardster, 4 months ago

Your title just doesn't sound right. The FZ200 is arguably the best non-50X superzoom camera available today, so it's kind of weird to hear disappointment from those who already have what's considered as the best!

But then, you are 100% correct. No matter how good the FZ200 is, it could be better. It could remember some settings like focus size, bracketing, or the fact that you're using the self-timer. It could have separate remote control and microphone jacks. It could provide a standard 3.5mm microphone jack instead of 2.5mm. It could have a rubberized viewfinder. It could use a control ring around the lens. It could produce better OOC JPEGs like the FZ150. It could slice bread, but it doesn't. It looks like the FZ1000 might address many of these and more, so I can see the point.

But for most, the FZ200 primarily suffers from its pinhead sensor and limited reach. It's been two years since the FZ200's arrival and we've already seen one expected refresh cycle come and go and are on the verge of seeing a repeat. Many have been patiently awaiting the FZ200 upgrade to a 1/1.7" sensor as the next logical step for the FZ, a move that many hoped would make the "FZ250" a truly do-it-all long-reach camera. And the 1/1.7" sensor should offer improved croppability if the lens couldn't get any longer. (Personally, I believe that the 1/1.7" sensor coupled with the FZ does not currently provide enough of an improvement to merit the change in form factor.)

To read that the FZ jumped up to a 1" sensor could only mean that any FZ200 IQ issues and possibly its limited reach finally all in the past! Wow, a 1" sensor to go along with all the other improvements, well that would seem to finally solve any/all issues that the FZ200 might have. OK, so we don't have a constant f/2.8 - well the improved sensor can help with that. And we don't quite have the reach - well no problem, we can crop! And it's an FZ so we can also throw a teleconverter out front! It'll be a super FZ200! Aw crap, there are no adapter tube threads. And there are questions about whether DFD would work with one. Yes, disappointment.

On the bright side, the FZ1000 is hopefully just the first in a line of 1" FZ models that will eventually "reach" the needs of birders as well. Let's hope the FZ1000 idoes not become the next FZ50 "jack of all trades" that gets ignored for several years. And lets double down that we don't see both the FZ200 and FZ1000 left untouched.

But for now, let's be happy that the FZ50 stalwarts finally get a chance to play - even if that means FZ200 aficionados need to take their turn "riding the pine".

-- hide signature --

Bruce

I didn't mean to imply I was disappointed. I love my 200 and I am excited about the 1000. I just didn't expect so many previous FZ users being disappointed about the 1000 lack of reach. But it makes sense if your taking photos of birds. I am not making any judgements I just find all of our various wants and needs and what drives those interesting.

I not good at assigning titles!
--
http://scottsfunphotography.blogspot.com
http://www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag
http://motivationmachine.net/

coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
It's understanable you do not hope a new camera is over your old FZ200. But, you cannot change it.
No text.
kkardster
Like?
Re: I am not disappointed, I was surprised

phazelag wrote:

But then, you are 100% correct. No matter how good the FZ200 is, it could be better...

I didn't mean to imply I was disappointed. I love my 200 and I am excited about the 1000. I just didn't expect so many previous FZ users being disappointed about the 1000 lack of reach. But it makes sense if your taking photos of birds. I am not making any judgements I just find all of our various wants and needs and what drives those interesting.

I not good at assigning titles!

No worries - I wasn't knocking your title, just find it odd that there seems to be so many people using what's considered by many to be the best of its kind that are disappointed by the FZ1000!

-- hide signature --

Bruce

maven19
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

I've been following some of the recent posts, and there is a lot of threads comparing the FZ200 to the FZ1000, and trying to figure how to get more reach or 'equate it'

I think most people are forgetting something important. The FZ1000 is not the replacement model for the FZ200, but rather for the FZ50.

The FZ200 successor is not here yet, just like there was a gap between the FZ50 and FZ1000, there will be long gap for the FZ200. It's futile to compare and then end up arguing a camera that isn't supposed to be doing isn't doing it.

The successor to the FZ200 will either have greater reach (900mm) at aperture f 2.8, and probably a bigger sensor (2/3'), though I feel it won't be the 1' inch, otherwise it would just cut into the sales of the FZ1000.

Just my opinion, I'll check back on this post a year from now

Cheers

kkardster
Like?
In reply to maven19, 4 months ago

maven19 wrote:

I think most people are forgetting something important. The FZ1000 is not the replacement model for the FZ200, but rather for the FZ50.

I'm among those who don't whole-heartedly agree that the FZ1000 is the long-awaited direct replacement for the FZ50, though I can't deny the similarities or the differences. It does look to be a decent all-arounder that is very similar and will hopefully spawn longer brethren much like what followed the FZ50. I hope that doesn't mean longer with smaller sensors as what actually did follow the FZ50, but if that turns out to be true then perhaps the FZ200 upgrade will at least get its long-awaited 1/1.7" sensor.

The FZ200 successor is not here yet, just like there was a gap between the FZ50 and FZ1000, there will be long gap for the FZ200. It's futile to compare and then end up arguing a camera that isn't supposed to be doing isn't doing it.

I agree there's no successor yet - hence this thread in the first place.  And regarding futility, the same holds true vs. the FZ50 - we've [almost] all moved on...

-- hide signature --

Bruce

phazelag
Like?
In reply to maven19, 4 months ago

maven19 wrote:

I've been following some of the recent posts, and there is a lot of threads comparing the FZ200 to the FZ1000, and trying to figure how to get more reach or 'equate it'

The successor to the FZ200 will either have greater reach (900mm) at aperture f 2.8, and probably a bigger sensor (2/3'), though I feel it won't be the 1' inch, otherwise it would just cut into the sales of the FZ1000.

Just my opinion, I'll check back on this post a year from now

Cheers

Maven19,

that would be wonderful for a lot of people if that was the case.  What makes you think this?  I can't find any evidence on the internet that another Panasonic Superzoom is looming.  I think many of are looking at the FZ1000 as possibly being able to replace our FZ200s for most shots even to 600 with cropping.  For those who use and rely on Teleconverters on the FZ200 they may have to stay with what they have.  I am interested in both options.

My dream FZ would have the LF1 sensor, have the GH4 EVF and processor like the FZ1000 has, and reach 900 even at f4 would be cool. Weather sealing and the Olympus type Red Dot site would be a bonus!.  I would pay $699 for that!

phazelag
Like?
Re: It's understanable you do not hope a new camera is over your old FZ200
In reply to coody, 4 months ago

coody wrote:

Not sure what this means, but I think you took my title the wrong way.  I am bad at titles.  I am not preferring one over the other.  I applaud progress.

kkardster
Like?
Re: Back to the beginning...

phazelag wrote:

coody wrote:

Not sure what this means, but I think you took my title the wrong way. I am bad at titles. I am not preferring one over the other. I applaud progress.

Your original title was spot-on - it's just surprising that so many who have lauded and defended the FZ200 over the past two years were for some reason disappointed with this announcement. I think we can all agree that this is largely sensor-envy. And every one of the FZ200 users would be happy to stick their lens in front of the FZ1000 if it were possible.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

phazelag
Like?
Re: Back to the beginning...

kkardster wrote:

phazelag wrote:

coody wrote:

Not sure what this means, but I think you took my title the wrong way. I am bad at titles. I am not preferring one over the other. I applaud progress.

Your original title was spot-on - it's just surprising that so many who have lauded and defended the FZ200 over the past two years were for some reason disappointed with this announcement. I think we can all agree that this is largely sensor-envy. And every one of the FZ200 users would be happy to stick their lens in front of the FZ1000 if it were possible.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

the other part of not seeing each other in person is we spend more time clarifying our meanings.  This  actually has helped me try to be more clear on what I mean in person too.

I a few years ago I would have said agreed about sensor envy, but I think most people really are not like that.  I think people just come from a space based on their experiences that make them prioritize their needs and wants differently.

I think for some people who truly understood what the FZ200 was capable of and used it for wildlife, probably just want more of that.  More reach, more light, less noise!  The FZ1000 gives us probably the same reach with less noise.  Shutter speed versus ISO I am not sure.  But I am guessing the FZ1000 will get the cleaner image.

My LF1 is way cleaner at ISO 1600 than the FZ200, so thats a middle ground I would love to see explored and pushed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads