Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 2,264Gear list
Like?
Re: definition of 'huge'
In reply to sonics, 6 months ago

rrccad wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

If I'm going to use the 55-250 STM then personally... I'd rather just do this...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.389.2,448.389,ha,t

Same depth front to back but MUCH better controls, faster phase detection AF through the viewfinder and better AF performance in liveview.

Then again, I don't have the 55-250 STM, nor the M (anymore)

But, as a consumer, and one who would buy the M to significantly downsize, I wouldn't use the 55-250 over the 55-200 because it's a substantial increase in weight and size.

the two STM lines that canon has rolling out it are intriguing. they aren't as gear happy exciting as others, but quietly canon has implemented a couple of nice lines across both the EF-M and EF-S platforms.

the EF-S STM IS line is lightweight, economic and compact for a DSLR form factor - making an SL1 kit stand pretty close to a smaller registration distance system in terms of overall kit size. it makes probably the best lineup from 10mm to 250mm out there in APS-C form factor in terms of cost and IQ - you really can't beat that line at all.

The EOS-M STM line is taking that down even further, by having the smallest kit from 11mm to 200mm available in the market - all with very good IQ and cost and diminutive sizes even against it's peers.

the 55-200's IQ against its' peers:

sony E 55-210

EF-M 55-200mm

what lines are the most important to read?

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D + Canon eosm + several lenses

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-mtf.shtml

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
67gtonr
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrccad, 6 months ago

A few points, there is nothing 'fiddley' about the EOS M adapter.

You're right about the U.S. market not being that important to Canon, it is in fact Europe where Canon earns the bulk of its profits.

The Canon adapter now goes for about $75. new on Ebay and adapters from other manufacturers go for $50. to $60. certainly not $200.

67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774
Like?
Re: Adapter Price
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 6 months ago

Adapters are $75 shipped on ebay

When available, the Canon USA price for the adaptor was US$199.99

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit#SuppliesAndAccessories

Like most people, I buy from traditional retailers, not escam   , I mean ebay.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383
Like?
In reply to justmeMN, 6 months ago

justmeMN wrote:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit#SuppliesAndAccessories

Like most people, I buy from traditional retailers, not escam , I mean ebay.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883406-REG/Canon_6098b002_EF_M_Lens_Adapter_Kit.html

$135 shipped from an authorized dealer.

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?

Like most people, I buy from traditional retailers, not escam   , I mean ebay.

How do you know 'most people' do? Besides, reputable retailers like Adorama and Beach Camera sell on eBay, and I routinely buy from them on eBay. In fact, my single most expensive piece of photographic equipment, the Canon 70-200 2.8 II, was bought on eBay.

I don't own eBay stock or anything, but I can't understand why some folks are so fearful of it. Stick to reputable sellers with tens of thousands of positive feedback and you'll be fine.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,774Gear list
Like?
Re: EF-M55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM?
In reply to quiquae, 6 months ago

It appears to be accurate news and IMHO good news.  Hopefully Canon will follow up this year with an EOS M 3.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to 4thnebula, 6 months ago

4thnebula wrote:

It appears to be accurate news and IMHO good news. Hopefully Canon will follow up this year with an EOS M 3.

I'm thinking we take a G1X Mark II and rip out the sensor and lens, slap an 20MP PDAF sensor, EF-M mount, and call it good.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864Gear list
Like?

justmeMN wrote:

When available, the Canon USA price for the adapter was US$199.99

$200 is obscene for an adapter that is just a wiring pass-through. A small part of a botched launch.

$75 - $100 is reasonable.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
67gtonr
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomtom50, 6 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

$200 is obscene for an adapter that is just a wiring pass-through. A small part of a botched launch.

$75 - $100 is reasonable.

Yeah but that launch was nearly two years ago that have sold a lot of M's and adapters. I believe there are at least four different companies selling a version of that adapter now.

67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
rrccad
Like?
Re: Adapter Price's are like Batteries - Ridiculous
In reply to tomtom50, 6 months ago

tomtom50 wrote:

justmeMN wrote:

LE-A1 for Sony came out at 200 at launch, it seems par for the course.
MF-OM1 which is even more brain dead was 125 or so. MF2-OM1 was around a 199 price tag...
The Nikon FT1 was a crazy $270 when it came out.

Abu Mahendra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrencew, 6 months ago

To my eyes the MTF graphs of the EFS lens look slightly better.

John Driggers
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

My vote is for is for a 14mm (21-22 equiv) and a 100mm IS (160 equiv) macro. A 60mm (90 equiv) 1.8 leaf shutter portrait lens would be pretty awesome, but unlikely.

John Driggers
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lawrencew, 6 months ago

Plus the adapter, plus the weight/balance. Buy what you want/need. I want/need the size-weight-balance of the m lens. You may not. Or you may already have the big lens. Or you may want to share a single lens across non-stop mount Canon bodies. It's all good and it's splendid that Canon lets us both have what we want. I have avoided the bigger lens (but love my 50+adapter) simply because it's not a good choice for me. Now I can complete my m kit andwait for the m3.

kotmj
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
In reply to John Driggers, 6 months ago

Wait, I thought Canon was abandoning the M line?

kotmj
Like?
In reply to kotmj, 6 months ago

I think this new lens is too competitive. WTF was Canon thinking. Isn't Canon supposed to cripple the M line to protect DSLR sales? They are just not following the damned script. They release one hell of a 22mm. The best wideangle kit zoom in the world. And now this. Somebody rein Canon in.

quiquae
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
In reply to John Driggers, 6 months ago

John Driggers wrote:

My vote is for is for a 14mm (21-22 equiv) and a 100mm IS (160 equiv) macro. A 60mm (90 equiv) 1.8 leaf shutter portrait lens would be pretty awesome, but unlikely.

An EF-M 100mm f/2.8 IS macro won't be much smaller than the existing EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro. The size saving for mirrorless lenses come from shorter flange focal length, which is a significant factor only for wide lenses. (The subject of this thread is noticeably smaller than EF-S 55-250, but that's mainly because of the shorter reach and smaller max aperture, not because of the intrinsic nature of the mount.)

I suppose they could follow the EF-M philosophy of trading off speed for size, and use max aperture of f/3.5 or even f/4. That would make the lens much smaller, but would make it much less attractive for non-macro purposes.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
rrccad
Like?
Coming available in Canada..
In reply to quiquae, 6 months ago
kotmj
Like?
Re: Coming available in Canada..

rrccad wrote:

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=41678#_030

It would be ironic if Canon sells this lens everywhere except the US. Please, please do this.

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: Coming available in Canada..

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=41678#_030

Thanks for the post. US buyers: problem solved. Buy from Henry's or Vistek if you want the lens.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Lawrencew
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,563Gear list
Like?
That's not huge... this is huge... :-)

rrccad wrote:

arielp wrote:

if translate to 529$ , EF-S or Tamron VC would be a better choise... given you can use it on normal DSLR..

bulk - if you have no other EF lenses you want to use - the EF-S and especially the tammy would be huge in a kit compared to this.

If you want a quality 200mm zoom, this is the only way to go on the M

-- hide signature --
 Lawrencew's gear list:Lawrencew's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads