EPL-1 user thinking of upgrade

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
hockey guy
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: EPL-1 user thinking of upgrade
In reply to awb1000, 6 months ago

I use the 20 mm for "compactness."

I will take a look at the 14 mm. I did love my Canon SLR 28 mm. So they would be equivalent.

hockey guy's gear list:hockey guy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hockey guy
Like?
In reply to ecm, 6 months ago

I chose Olympus over Panasonic because of the JPEG quality. And I then bought mostly Olympus lenses. So I think i will stick with Olympus.

I have probably experienced shutter shake for a long time. Oh well.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?
20, 14, ...
In reply to hockey guy, 6 months ago

hockey guy wrote:

I will take a look at the 14 mm. I did love my Canon SLR 28 mm. So they would be equivalent.

+1 for 20 (on GX1) and 14, on E-PM2. The compactness is a plus for daily use or long trip.

I use the 45 and Sigma 60 on the E-M5.

Unless you enjoy disturbing your productivity, it's better to keep the same old camera if you go on a trip in a few days. ...OTOH, Bringing along a new, small, one to entertain yourself during a long boring flight or bus trip might be interesting too.

The E-PL1, PM2 and PL5 share the same battery. Not so with the E-M5 or E-M10.

traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 708Gear list
Like?
Re: 20, 14, ...
In reply to jf_tea, 6 months ago

jf_tea wrote:

hockey guy wrote:

+1 for 20 (on GX1) and 14, on E-PM2. The compactness is a plus for daily use or long trip.

I use the 45 and Sigma 60 on the E-M5.

Unless you enjoy disturbing your productivity, it's better to keep the same old camera if you go on a trip in a few days. ...OTOH, Bringing along a new, small, one to entertain yourself during a long boring flight or bus trip might be interesting too.

+2 for the 14 on the E-PM2 = light, portable and handsome. Very good picture quality, interesting FL.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to Klarno, 6 months ago

Klarno wrote:

JCB123 wrote:

Ah I didn't know that, but I think that the E-M10, E-PL5 and E-PM2 have 3 axis while the E-M1 and E-M5 have 5 axis stabilisation - is that right ?

E-M10 is the only camera thus far with 3-axis based off of the 5-axis system in the E-M1, E-M5 and E-P5.

The E-PL5 and E-PM2 use the same 2-axis system that's more related to the one used in every previous Olympus MFT camera since the E-P1, and Four Thirds DSLRs dating back to 2007's E-510.

-- hide signature --

Thanks.

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
hockey guy
Like?

Please clarify "+1."

Thanks

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,258Gear list
Like?

I found the EPM1 to a big upgrade over the EPL1 for handling. People say, "it has so few controls!", but it has a dial, which makes the SCP practical. I'm not saying the EPM1 is a candidate. It's too old and you get the same picture quality as the EPL1. If you move to the EPM2, you get better DR and higher ISO in the improved sensor, plus the touchscreen makes the SCP even faster to use and also alleviates the lack of a mode dial. Hopefully, some great deals on it will re-appear.

Next up is the EPL5. With the mode dial and tilt screen, this camera is great. No blow-out deals recently, and when it does go on sale, the big draw is a low bundle price for the two kit lenses that you don't really need. I paid $350 last fall for a reconditioned body.

I still bring my EPL1 out to use. For me, it's a good friend, but the shutter does go clunkety-clunk, while the newer cameras go snick-snick.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
traveler_101
Like?

hockey guy wrote:

Please clarify "+1."

Thanks

I agree, add me to the list of supporters of this idea/judgment.

Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
traveler_101
Like?
In reply to baxters, 6 months ago

baxters wrote:

I found the EPM1 to a big upgrade over the EPL1 for handling. People say, "it has so few controls!", but it has a dial, which makes the SCP practical. I'm not saying the EPM1 is a candidate. It's too old and you get the same picture quality as the EPL1. If you move to the EPM2, you get better DR and higher ISO in the improved sensor, plus the touchscreen makes the SCP even faster to use and also alleviates the lack of a mode dial. Hopefully, some great deals on it will re-appear.

Next up is the EPL5. With the mode dial and tilt screen, this camera is great. No blow-out deals recently, and when it does go on sale, the big draw is a low bundle price for the two kit lenses that you don't really need. I paid $350 last fall for a reconditioned body.

I agree with this analysis completely, though I never had the PM1, just the E-PL1 and now the E-PM2. I think the dial helps enormously; I really hated the push buttons on the E-PL1. However, there is one caveat--the buttons on the E-PM2 are small and I suppose if you had very large hands it could be a problem. Maybe that's why we have already had one guy post that he preferred the E-PL1 --

traveler_101 wrote:

The level of controls on the PM2 is better E-PL1 and for me it works well.

I find the opposite : the controls of my e-pL1 are better.

Different folk, different fingers and eyes.

jpig
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

Actually, the E-PL1 and E-M10 use the same batteries.  They can both take either the BLS-1 or the BLS-5.   The E-M5, E-M1, and E-P5 use a different battery.

And yes, as someone else mentioned, the E-M10 shutter sound is much softer/quieter than that of the E-PL1 shutter.

h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?

hockey guy wrote:

I have been using the EPL-1 for nearly four years. I used to shoot film with a Canon AT1 and loved it.

I chose the EPL-1 because I wanted a small high quality camera. I shoot only in JPEG. I do not want to be spending more time in front of a computer making adjustments and, in fact, I probably would not be any good at it. I confess that I am color blind! I have the VF-2 viewfinder, the original kit lens, the 45 mm Olympus, the 20 mm Panasonic, the 14-150 mm Olympus and the FL-36 R flash (which is too big for the body!)

I also own the Olympus XZ-1 (and can use the VF-2 with it as well.)

I mostly shoot while traveling, out with friends and in nature.

It has taken me a long time to get used to not having controls on the camera body as I did on my Canon. I find that I am slow to make changes on the fly. Even the XZ-1 has a dial around the lens.

So I am considering replacing the EPL-1. I am a bit torn because there is nothing wrong with the camera and I have become a bit more accustomed, gradually, to using the interface.

I am traveling in 12 days and wondering if I should replace the EPL-1 before the trip. I would need to order a replacement over the internet because there is not much in the way of local photo shops.

If I replace it, I guess I would stick with Olympus because I already have the lenses and I shoot only JPEG.

Any thoughts?

I am attaching a few relatively recent photos in case that helps.

ISO 200 15mm 0EV f/8 1/250

ISO 200 20 mm 0 EV f 1.7 1/3 (camera resting on surface, not hand-held)

Insert caption here. If you do not edit this text it will be automatically removed.

ISO 400 150 mm 0 EV f/11 1/200

ISO 200 150 mm 0 EV f5.6 1/500

You will love the EM10:-)

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +2 more
habsguy
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to h2odog, 6 months ago

With all of the great discussion and suggestions, I concluded that  it is best for me to stick with my EPL-1 for my upcoming trip in 9 days. It keeps things simple. I will reassess when I return home.

I have considered, after  looking at  and participating in other "threads", getting the 12-32 mm Panasonic zoom  for daytime shots so that I need not changes lenses. It would take the place of my little used original kit zoom.

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,258Gear list
Like?
In reply to habsguy, 6 months ago

FYI. Olympus USA  is having another 20% off sale on their refurb cameras, which means you can get an reconditioned EPL5 for $289 plus tax.  A good camera for not much money. You enter the coupon code summer20 at checkout.

Similar savings if you want a refurbed EM10, etc. Sale ends next tuesday. Limited stock. Etc. Etc.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
gene thomson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,083
Like?

I just tried to order the refurbished EPL5 for $289.  No luck. This camera is not part of their 20% off deal.  They have a disclaimer : "Reconditioned products may or may not be eligible for additional offers or discounts"  Bummer.

baxters wrote:

FYI. Olympus USA is having another 20% off sale on their refurb cameras, which means you can get an reconditioned EPL5 for $289 plus tax. A good camera for not much money. You enter the coupon code summer20 at checkout.

Similar savings if you want a refurbed EM10, etc. Sale ends next tuesday. Limited stock. Etc. Etc.

-- hide signature --

geeno

traveler_101
Like?
In reply to gene thomson, 6 months ago

Still the OP could get a E-PM2 new for $260 on e-bay; n maybe better prices elsewhere. I found this one without trying.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Olympus-White-E-PM2-16-MP-Digital-Camera-w-14-42-Zoom-/161339746588?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item259099291c

Bob Carstens
Regular MemberPosts: 438Gear list
Like?

baxters wrote:

I still bring my EPL1 out to use. For me, it's a good friend, but the shutter does go clunkety-clunk, while the newer cameras go snick-snick.

LOL. I like your comparision of the shutter sounds.  My next m4/3 definitely has to go snick-snick and have at least EFCS or better.

-- hide signature --

Bob Carstens

Bob Carstens's gear list:Bob Carstens's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +6 more
gandalfII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?

hockey guy wrote:

Could you give me an example of how/when you use the My Sets?

Thanks.

I upgraded from EPL1 to EM5 and was really glad I did.  The EM5 has much better low light capability and I use a myset to configure for it, eg higher auto iso, smaller files (don't need huge files at high iso), enable AF asssist, etc.

I would add a 12mm to your 20 and 45 and wouldn't need more for Europe.

hockey guy
Like?
In reply to gandalfII, 6 months ago

The 12 mm makes sense, though a bit pricey.

Thanks.

jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?

hockey guy wrote:

Please clarify "+1."

I'm sorry to have increased the confusion !

My undestanding is that "+1" means "I agree with that".

it's a geeky neologism that comes from web forums or, maybe, G+ (Google + social network).

hockey guy
Like?

appreciate any nerdy/geeky cultivation!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads