Quattro marketing screwed up already?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Scottelly
Senior MemberPosts: 2,530Gear list
Like?
6 months ago

In the description of the DP2 Quattro at B&H the resolution already looks very confusing.

Maximum resolution is stated as "5424 x 3616" under "Specifications" . . . but in the "Overview" there is this statement:

"The Sigma dp2 Quattro Digital Camera combines the 29MP Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor with the TRUE III image processing engine to create high quality images with an equivalent resolution of 39 megapixels due to the unique sensor design. This method uses layers of pixels to capture the color data of the red, green, and blue spectrums vertically, requiring no interpolation. This results in a sharper image with better color gradations."

This would imply that the camera doesn't use interpolation . . . yet to make a 39 megapixel image from 29 . . . or 19.6 . . . or whatever the camera is doing . . . interpolation is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. It looks like a lie. Also in the description, under "RAW Image Capture" there is this statement:

"Full 14-bit RAW images can be captured with data for every pixel included, meaning 5,424 x 3616 on the top layer, and 2,712 x 1,808 on the subsequent two pixel layers. You can also shoot with JPEG and produce images with resolutions as high as 7,680 x 3,296."

As you all probably know, the maximum resolution in JPEG mode is stated at the Sigma site as 7,680×5,120 for the 3:2 format. The resolution of 7,680 x 3,296 listed in the "RAW Image Capture" section is actually 21:9 format and 25.3 megapixels (if you calculate it) . . . but it's the first resolution listed in the specifications at the Sigma site, so I guess that's where that information came from. This is either an oversight by B&H, which needs to be corrected, or it is a mistake by Sigma. (Presumably they help their major retailers by issuing two or three descriptions that the retailers can use for their marketing purposes.) Either way, it is VERY confusing. The camera is listed as 29 megapixels (29MP Foveon X3 Quattro CMOS Image Sensor), when in reality it shoots 39 megapixel images in its highest resolution JPEG mode and only 19.6 megapixel images in raw mode (5,424×3,616). To make matters worse, they have mentioned the lower resolution middle and bottom layers, which make it look like it might somehow be even lower resolution than 19.6 megapixels.

At Adorama the camera is described like this in the main heading description:

"Sigma dp-2 Quattro Digital Point & Shoot Camera, 29MP Foveon X3 Quattro CMOS Image Sensor 19.6 Megapixel with FOVEON X3 Direct Image Sensor, Fixed 30mm f/2.8 Lens, RAW Image Capture"

There is NO mention in that "heading" of the fact that the camera shoots incredibly sharp 39 megapixel JPEG images at a resolution of 7,680×5,120 . . . one of the most important features of the camera.

Further down there IS mention of the Super High JPEG mode"

"Newly developed Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor Now featuring 39 megapixel-equivalent ultrahigh resolution"

That's followed by:

"While retaining the distinctive characteristics of its predecessors, it offers an even higher level of image quality. In addition to 30% higher resolution, the volume of image data has become lighter, and it enables much faster image processing and lower current consumption."

This statement about 30% higher image resolution might lead one to believe that the previous camera produced JPEG photos that were approximately 30 megapixels . . . but it did not.

What I'm saying is that the resolution information is going to be REALLY confusing for people, and I think Sigma should stress the 39 megapixel JPEG mode most of all, putting it in the beginning of every description . . . if the camera really makes good JPEG images at that resolution, which is what is expected. That's what we've been told it can do. Are the JPEG images "interpolated?" Sure, and Sigma should not be denying this. But if they look great, the marketing should stress that the camera makes incredibly sharp 39 megapixel JPEG images and unbelievably sharp 19.6 megapixel RAW images, from its 29 megapixel Quattro sensor.

At least they do stress the image quality and mention a variety of resolutions, including the 29 megapixel sensor, the 39 megapixel JPEG images, and the 19.6 megapixels of the raw files. Surely all this is an indicator that the camera produces a variety of image resolutions . . . though it does lots of formats too, which I think Sigma should also make sure people are aware of. Maybe they could call it a "multi-format" camera, with the ability to shoot ultra-high resolution JPEG photos with aspect ratios of 1:1, 3:4, 2:3, 16:9, and 21:9 formats.

Take a look:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030324-REG/sigma_dp2_quattro_digital_camera.html

http://www.adorama.com/SGDP2Q.html

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/dp2-quattro-compact-digital-camera

Anyone got any thoughts about this?

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Sigma DP2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scottelly
Like?
Re: Quattro marketing screwed up already?
In reply to Scottelly, 6 months ago

They might also mention that the JPEG SUPER-HIGH mode matches the standard 4K image size.

Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Scottelly
Like?

Sorry . . . the standard 4K screen resolution.

ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939Gear list
Like?

In my opinion they're interpolating when they're using the quadruple sized layer 2 and 3 photosites to calculate the colors of the 19mp top layer, but it's all down to semantics really.

I don't see it being any worse than Bayer sensor cameras being sold as 20mp color when they're interpolating from 10mp green, 5mp blue and 5mp red.
But the "moral high ground" about no interpolation at all they had with the old sensors is gone.

Ultimately it all comes down to the image quality and it'll be fun to see what some proper samples will show us.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Please put me out of this misery,

Scottelly wrote:

In the description of the DP2 Quattro at B&H the resolution already looks very confusing.

Maximum resolution is stated as "5424 x 3616" under "Specifications" . . . but in the "Overview" there is this statement:

"The Sigma dp2 Quattro Digital Camera combines the 29MP Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor with the TRUE III image processing engine to create high quality images with an equivalent resolution of 39 megapixels due to the unique sensor design. This method uses layers of pixels to capture the color data of the red, green, and blue spectrums vertically, requiring no interpolation. This results in a sharper image with better color gradations."

This would imply that the camera doesn't use interpolation . . . yet to make a 39 megapixel image from 29 . . . or 19.6 . . . or whatever the camera is doing . . . interpolation is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. It looks like a lie. Also in the description, under "RAW Image Capture" there is this statement:

"Full 14-bit RAW images can be captured with data for every pixel included, meaning 5,424 x 3616 on the top layer, and 2,712 x 1,808 on the subsequent two pixel layers. You can also shoot with JPEG and produce images with resolutions as high as 7,680 x 3,296."

As you all probably know, the maximum resolution in JPEG mode is stated at the Sigma site as 7,680×5,120 for the 3:2 format. The resolution of 7,680 x 3,296 listed in the "RAW Image Capture" section is actually 21:9 format and 25.3 megapixels (if you calculate it) . . . but it's the first resolution listed in the specifications at the Sigma site, so I guess that's where that information came from. This is either an oversight by B&H, which needs to be corrected, or it is a mistake by Sigma. (Presumably they help their major retailers by issuing two or three descriptions that the retailers can use for their marketing purposes.) Either way, it is VERY confusing. The camera is listed as 29 megapixels (29MP Foveon X3 Quattro CMOS Image Sensor), when in reality it shoots 39 megapixel images in its highest resolution JPEG mode and only 19.6 megapixel images in raw mode (5,424×3,616). To make matters worse, they have mentioned the lower resolution middle and bottom layers, which make it look like it might somehow be even lower resolution than 19.6 megapixels.

"Sigma dp-2 Quattro Digital Point & Shoot Camera, 29MP Foveon X3 Quattro CMOS Image Sensor 19.6 Megapixel with FOVEON X3 Direct Image Sensor, Fixed 30mm f/2.8 Lens, RAW Image Capture"

There is NO mention in that "heading" of the fact that the camera shoots incredibly sharp 39 megapixel JPEG images at a resolution of 7,680×5,120 . . . one of the most important features of the camera.

"Newly developed Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor Now featuring 39 megapixel-equivalent ultrahigh resolution"

That's followed by:

"While retaining the distinctive characteristics of its predecessors, it offers an even higher level of image quality. In addition to 30% higher resolution, the volume of image data has become lighter, and it enables much faster image processing and lower current consumption."

This statement about 30% higher image resolution might lead one to believe that the previous camera produced JPEG photos that were approximately 30 megapixels . . . but it did not.

What I'm saying is that the resolution information is going to be REALLY confusing for people, and I think Sigma should stress the 39 megapixel JPEG mode most of all, putting it in the beginning of every description . . . if the camera really makes good JPEG images at that resolution, which is what is expected. That's what we've been told it can do. Are the JPEG images "interpolated?" Sure, and Sigma should not be denying this. But if they look great, the marketing should stress that the camera makes incredibly sharp 39 megapixel JPEG images and unbelievably sharp 19.6 megapixel RAW images, from its 29 megapixel Quattro sensor.

At least they do stress the image quality and mention a variety of resolutions, including the 29 megapixel sensor, the 39 megapixel JPEG images, and the 19.6 megapixels of the raw files. Surely all this is an indicator that the camera produces a variety of image resolutions . . . though it does lots of formats too, which I think Sigma should also make sure people are aware of. Maybe they could call it a "multi-format" camera, with the ability to shoot ultra-high resolution JPEG photos with aspect ratios of 1:1, 3:4, 2:3, 16:9, and 21:9 formats.

Take a look:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030324-REG/sigma_dp2_quattro_digital_camera.html

DPR, and delete my account, so that I'm not tempted by yet another utterly pointless and stupid thread about the DP2 Quattro.

Please, DPR, please?

Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301Gear list
Like?
Re: Please put me out of this misery,
In reply to mroy, 6 months ago

mroy wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

That's followed by:

Take a look:

DPR, and delete my account, so that I'm not tempted by yet another utterly pointless and stupid thread about the DP2 Quattro.

Please, DPR, please?

You can simply leave, no?

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Please stay on topic
In reply to Richard Franiec, 6 months ago

Richard Franiec wrote:

mroy wrote:

Please, DPR, please?

Which is: what to do with yet another stupid post about yet another 'disaster' from Sigma?

Really take this serious?

richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,620
Like?
Re: Please stay on topic

mroy wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

mroy wrote:

Please, DPR, please?

Which is: what to do with yet another stupid post about yet another 'disaster' from Sigma?

It's similar to hyperventilation. It causes temporary dizziness. It's not serious unless you fall down and injure yourself. Or maybe if you're operating machinery.

-- hide signature --
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm on (your) topic

mroy wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

mroy wrote:

Please, DPR, please?

Ignore it and move on. That would be my advice. No drama is needed to do that.

Up to you.

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?

Do we really need to debate the same topic 10 times?
If the search tool isn't working use Google.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/prebenr/12405327495" >«Bad reputation»</a>

Scottelly
Like?
Re: Please put me out of this misery,

Nothing like a bit of useless complaining, huh?

(Actually, I think I read somewhere that people at Sigma read this forum. Maybe they'll take notice . . . especially if other people make some helpful and thoughtful comments.)

Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 12,103Gear list
Like?
In reply to PrebenR, 6 months ago

PrebenR wrote:

Do we really need to debate the same topic 10 times?\

Do we really need to complain by adding to the topic?  If you ignore threads you have no interest in (and or ignore the user who started it). it falls out of the top page quicker.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +28 more
L Tippett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
I really don't care about the numbers.

For me numbers make no difference i really don't care.

The coming weeks and months will tell us if this new camera is a winner or not.

I'm hoping for some better low light performance and processing speed.

That will do me.

Kind regards Lea.

Scottelly
Like?
Re: I really don't care about the numbers.
In reply to L Tippett, 6 months ago

L Tippett wrote:

For me numbers make no difference i really don't care.

The coming weeks and months will tell us if this new camera is a winner or not.

I'm hoping for some better low light performance and processing speed.

That will do me.

Kind regards Lea.

Hmmm . . . but do you care if almost nobody buys the cameras, so Sigma stops developing the Foveon sensors? I do.

Marketing is important . . . just in case none of you realize this. Confusing marketing causes people to NOT buy.

I am concerned. Is NOBODY else concerned for Sigma? I think you probably are . . . but you just see this as some insignificant complaining. Maybe it is. Maybe I should have never brought it up.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time . . . if that is indeed what this is - a waste of time.

Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,256Gear list
Like?

Scottelly wrote:

Yes.

And before I get in trouble with Erik again, here are my thoughts.

This is nothing new. It is not Sigma's fault but rather their problem. If you have read this forum at a minimum level since the announcement of the DP2Q, you will have noticed that there is far more misunderstanding of this different iteration among those supposedly in the know than there is in these texts written by copywriters attempting to "get it right."

Now just imagine you have been assigned the task of writing this stuff and 99.92% of all you have written about digital technology in the last 15 years had to do with CFA cameras. So you pick up the brochure and try to figure it out from that, cross reference your work with some Google searches, and what you get is the usual confusion.

A careful reading and listening of the interviews in English with Kazuto, Shri and Rudy have very clear information about what the result is. Naturally, they do not go into how it works that much; but we did have a visit from Dick Lyon here. Among those four, we can get a pretty good sense of how it works and what the result is.

Now I will hand the mike to the FUDisten.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 6 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

PrebenR wrote:

Do we really need to debate the same topic 10 times?\

Do we really need to complain by adding to the topic? If you ignore threads you have no interest in (and or ignore the user who started it). it falls out of the top page quicker.

-- hide signature --

Erik

No it doesn't as everybody else seem to have to reiterate the topics.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma
«Bad reputation»

FDecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
So what?

I don't see a problem. The numbers can be a bit confusing. On the other hand, they can be understood.

19.6MP RAW from the 19.6MP top layer and the 4.9MP middle and bottom layers. No Bayer interpolation but a chroma subsampling (or 2x2 averaging).

About 39MP resolution equivalent to Bayer. A factor of 2, nothing new here.

And about 29MP if you count all sensels individually, as Bayer usually does.

That there are different resolutions due to various aspect ratios is not uncommon as well.

I definitely hope that people use other reasonings to buy a camera than the MP counts.

Amazing what concerns you and others have....?! The posts I see in this forum would keep me from buying a DP2Q more than some unimportant sales texts of some online stores. I hope potential newbies to the Foveon don't start from here.

Omexis
Regular MemberPosts: 425Gear list
Like?

Numbers numbers numbers, we all know that Sigma marketing is a bit screwy. Lets just wait until proper comparisons are made in reviews.

Pictures speak louder than words (Not including Sigma's sample gallery).

-- hide signature --
 Omexis's gear list:Omexis's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
FDecker
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
In reply to Laurence Matson, 6 months ago

Laurence Matson wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

Yes.

This is the part I like the most!

And before I get in trouble with Erik again, here are my thoughts.

This is nothing new. It is not Sigma's fault but rather their problem. If you have read this forum at a minimum level since the announcement of the DP2Q, you will have noticed that there is far more misunderstanding of this different iteration among those supposedly in the know than there is in these texts written by copywriters attempting to "get it right."

Now just imagine you have been assigned the task of writing this stuff and 99.92% of all you have written about digital technology in the last 15 years had to do with CFA cameras. So you pick up the brochure and try to figure it out from that, cross reference your work with some Google searches, and what you get is the usual confusion.

A careful reading and listening of the interviews in English with Kazuto, Shri and Rudy have very clear information about what the result is. Naturally, they do not go into how it works that much; but we did have a visit from Dick Lyon here. Among those four, we can get a pretty good sense of how it works and what the result is.

I also like this part and I agree to it.

JohnLindroth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330
Like?
comparing foveon to cfa is the problem

I started reading threads in this forum 6 years ago, and it's always in the technical comparison of a foveon sensor to a bayer cfa sensor that causes issues, and what are now long and extended, and rather unhelpful discussions.

If you count pixels as light measuring elements, then a bayer sensor equals the base output resolution. They use interpolation to fill in RGB elements to create a 3 level output image, so most people think that one RGB is a pixel. If you measure the same in a foveon sensor, then in most it is 3x the base output count, or in the Quattro 1.5 times, which is equivalent if you count pixels as light measuring elements, not output RGB elements. Most people base their concept of digital resolution back to the cfa, so having more pixels collected that output is foreign, and therefore people say Sigma is cheating or misrepresenting their cameras.

I read about the concept of the Foveon sensor prior to the first camera release, and decided from a totally geek-oriented personality, that when I purchased a DSLR, it would have to use a 3 level sensor, because it was such a novel idea, and I appreciated due to my film photography start. And I did in 2008, a little late to the party.

But there is no need to claim that Sigma is messing up in trying to find a way to describe something that most people never even think about in the digital cameras.

And if I understand the words of Sigma's CEO, Mr. Kazuto Yamaki, correctly, continuing with the line of cameras is an honor to family in continuing his father's dream. I have no worries about them stopping because people don't understand.

-John

-- hide signature --

http://gallery.johnlindroth.com/
john@johnlindroth.com
My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads