Who would buy a waterproof M4/3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Potemkin_Photo
Contributing MemberPosts: 605
Like?
Who would buy a waterproof M4/3?
4 months ago

How many of you would buy a waterproof micro 4/3 camera?

I'm surprised that one hasn't come out yet.

Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: Who would buy a waterproof M4/3?
In reply to Potemkin_Photo, 4 months ago

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

Do you mean a waterproof P&S camera? I've never heard anything about a waterproof interchangeable lens digital camera, I'll be really surprised to see this happens!!

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elemental Photography
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
In reply to Willing, 4 months ago

Willing wrote:

I've never heard anything about a waterproof interchangeable lens digital camera, I'll be really surprised to see this happens!!

Nikon has the AW1 interchangeable lens camera.  It is generally well received by it's target audience.

It would involve a cost premium that I personally am not willing to pay, especially as the lenses must also be built to a higher standard.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,534Gear list
Like?

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

It's such a small niche that it probably wouldn't do very well, especially when housing systems for existing cameras arguably do the job more flexibly and just as expensively. In the 35mm days this niche was only occupied by the Nikonos, and currently only occupied by the Nikon AW1 (which is more suited to snorkeling than to diving) with two specified waterproof lenses.

Olympus has been a leader in underwater compacts, though. The TG-2 and TG-3 are particularly well regarded. The TG-850 has the widest lens of any compact digital camera currently on the market, at 21mm equivalent (Samsung achieved the same with their WB-210 in 2011, but it has to go into a wide angle "mode" so it's not quite the same thing).

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,618Gear list
Like?

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

I would!

I'm not. It's a pretty niche thing and people serious about underwater photography, not me, are most likely scuba diving and buying housings for "real" cameras.

I'm considering a Nikon AW1 to replace an Olympus TG1, which I've been mostly pleased with. The image quality is quite good for a P&S. A larger sensor and ability to shoot RAW are the biggest draws of the AW1 for me.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
ShatteredSky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
I would ...

As stated in other threads a fixed lens 12-50 internal zoom (with same macro capabilities, probably with a bit more refined optics) E-PL5 plus 64 GB built-in memory and wireless charging / corrosion-resistant external port would be fine by me. Like this you would not have to deal with any doors and lens seals. This would still be more compact than the XZ-2 & PT-054 combo I bought for this summer.

Regards

-- hide signature --

"Blue for the shattered sky"

ShatteredSky's gear list:ShatteredSky's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497
Like?

If I needed it, I'd just buy waterproof housing.  A waterproof camera would likely be too expensive for all but a small niche of people.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,714Gear list
Like?
Re: Who would buy a waterproof M4/3? Me, at under $800

I would want it to have a built-in flash and generally match my Panny FT4 for features, although the zoom would not need to be so long. Given the change to field of view caused by the different diffracion and the limited distances you can satisfactorily penetrate in most water (even here in paradise) I would be happy with a 2x or so zoom starting at 12mm. 6 meters depth would be okay.

Colored orange or red.

Okay, maybe $1000.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,714Gear list
Like?
Given the specs. the price is pretty keen for the two lens kit…
In reply to jeffharris, 4 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

I would!

I'm not. It's a pretty niche thing and people serious about underwater photography, not me, are most likely scuba diving and buying housings for "real" cameras.

I'm considering a Nikon AW1 to replace an Olympus TG1, which I've been mostly pleased with. The image quality is quite good for a P&S. A larger sensor and ability to shoot RAW are the biggest draws of the AW1 for me.

…at around $1000. interesting.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
ShatteredSky
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, 4 months ago

The problem with the AW are the lacklustre lenses, otherwise I would have bought it by now. No reach, no macro. Macro is really the strong suit of the TG series.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +6 more
photohounds
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

I'm happy with TAP-proof and sharp IQ ...
Using the EM-1 to shoot while it is under a running tap.

I've taken All my "splash proof" Olympus cameras in the surf - no problems - ever.
If I were to dive, I'd get a housing for one of my decent cameras.
Nikon 1? ... good P&S quality, ILC price.  Not that they CAN'T make a good mirrorless, but like Canon they refuse to.

-- hide signature --

Well designed gear performs better for longer than well marketed gear.
Odd that people complain a lens is not sharp enough,
and then proceed to make pics where 95% is OOF ..
General Pics:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/
Oly and other .. Gear test samples - even RB-67!:
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Gear-tests
How DO OMDs cope with dim-light action and smoke?
http://photohounds.smugmug.com/Performing-arts

photohounds's gear list:photohounds's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +8 more
benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

-

Probably .
Got a TG- Tough ( good down to 50 ft)   but it doesn't do RAW; aside from that pretty good .

Apreche
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?

If I'm going in the water, I just use a GoPro. It's not worth the stress of bringing any "real" camera to the beach where there is sand and such. I also don't want to leave any Micro 4/3 camera on my towel, or carry it ALWAYS while I'm swimming.

Apreche's gear list:Apreche's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
ShatteredSky
Like?
In reply to Apreche, 4 months ago

Apreche wrote:

It's not worth the stress of bringing any "real" camera to the beach where there is sand and such.

That is a bit single-minded. I developed a taste for taking underwater images during the last few years, and now I always bring a camera when snorkeling. Until the release of the TG series I was not too fond of the unreliable autofocus of the tough cameras in general.

I agree though that anything larger might present a hassle, if you are not truly diving.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Potemkin_Photo
Like?
In reply to ShatteredSky, 4 months ago

The Nikon AW1 does seem a bit overpriced for what it can do.

A modern day Nikonos would be great. Or I guess I can just get an old Nikonos off the bay and pay a few bucks for film.

Then there's just get a heavy duty ziplock back, partially inflating it, and using that to proof your camera.

Potemkin_Photo
Like?
Re: I would ...

ShatteredSky wrote:

As stated in other threads a fixed lens 12-50 internal zoom (with same macro capabilities, probably with a bit more refined optics) E-PL5 plus 64 GB built-in memory and wireless charging / corrosion-resistant external port would be fine by me. Like this you would not have to deal with any doors and lens seals. This would still be more compact than the XZ-2 & PT-054 combo I bought for this summer.

Regards

-- hide signature --

I love this idea. Let's tell Olympus to make it.

Allan Brown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,653
Like?

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

I would.

I still have the old film version of the Nikon AW1 - the AW or Action Touch.

I could take that camera anywhere. It is not just about going underwater at the beach, there are many other situations where one needs a completely sealed body and lens.

The current waterproof cameras, AW1 excepted, are just too low in image quality.

The current issue of Photo News has an article by Canadian photographer Michelle Valberg using the AW1 for underwater video when she was photographing whales.

http://www.photonews.ca/index.php/swimming-with-whales/

A fixed-lens/zoom 4/3 sized sensor body would also do the job.

Allan

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,075Gear list
Like?

I would love to see a waterproof M43 camera.  Kind of like the Nikon AW camera base on the Series 1.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,075Gear list
Like?

ShatteredSky wrote:

The problem with the AW are the lacklustre lenses, otherwise I would have bought it by now. No reach, no macro. Macro is really the strong suit of the TG series.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Same here.  I handled one a few times at the camera store.  I didn't like the user interface, the lack of a hot-shoe and the slow kit lens.  So I didn't buy it.  Still a very neat idea.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
pocoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 474Gear list
Like?

Potemkin_Photo wrote:

I might... If and only if it is suited for diving... it should be waterproof to 50 to 60 meters. The Nikon AW1 is a nice concept, but you can't take it on a real dive.

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads