Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Lake Wobegon
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?
Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version
6 months ago

I guess the third choice would be neither - go back to the beginning. To be fair I suppose the dramatic detail could be done in either program but Lightroom is so easy to make the changes.

Anthony Morganti  has Youtube tutorials that are down right awesome for learning Lightroom.

This was processed with Gimp

processed with Gimp

This was done with Lightroom

Processed in Lightroom

Lake Wobegon's gear list:Lake Wobegon's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version
In reply to Lake Wobegon, 6 months ago

The better image is somewhere in between.  But Lightroom is the better software.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to MarioV, 6 months ago

MarioV wrote:

The better image is somewhere in between. But Lightroom is the better software.

Yes, I agree. I can't as yet figure out how to tame Lightroom. Thanks for the opinion.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,682Gear list
Like?

Personally, I prefer the Lightroom version.  The added contrast enhances the picture.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, 6 months ago

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Personally, I prefer the Lightroom version. The added contrast enhances the picture.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Thank you Dale. Well it's 2 to 1 if you count my wife. I also do like the more contrasty and slightly saturated photos. Sometimes I can say, "that's it" and will take no argument. Other times it's more in the realm of "I like it but could be talked out of it". I know it is personal preference but I worry each time about how far to go. I won't post it but I bumped the exposure up a bit on the Lightroom version and it felt like a good compromise.

Lake Wobegon

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Hollander
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?

I definitely go for the Lightroom one.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 753Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hollander, 6 months ago

The Lightroom version looks better to me.

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G7 X +8 more
coody
Senior MemberPosts: 1,071
Like?
Re: Which do you like better, my Gimp or Lightroom version - Lightroom
No text.
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 4,063Gear list
Like?

Personnaly, I better like the Lighroom one!

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,626Gear list
Like?

My intention is not to cause some flame here, but have you ever seen real elephant? My vote is for first shot. The second one does very bad things with its skin, even if it might appear as better for first look...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Don_Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?

Of course neither lightroom nor GIMP did the processing. You did the processing, using those tools. Why your images came out looking so different seems to be a matter of inexperience in one or the other app.

I personally find GIMP quite intuitive after having used it since ~1997. (Anything is "intuitive" once you've done it enough times.) On the other hand, In the past several years I've stopped using GIMP for overall image manipulation after processing raws in DPP or RawTherapee.

I favor RawTherapee for most processing because its floating point arithmetic prevents color "knockout" typical of 8-bit per channel processors like GIMP and PS Elements. I use GIMP for end-of-edit tasks like special non-linear processing that works best using layers and layer masks and most sharpening tasks.

I've not tried Lightroom.

Don

VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734Gear list
Like?

Lake Wobegon wrote:

I guess the third choice would be neither - go back to the beginning. To be fair I suppose the dramatic detail could be done in either program but Lightroom is so easy to make the changes.

Anthony Morganti has Youtube tutorials that are down right awesome for learning Lightroom.

This was processed with Gimp

processed with Gimp

This was done with Lightroom

Processed in Lightroom

I agree with those who would go somewhere in between. I use neither Gimp nor Lightroom, but do use Photoshop CS and this is how I would interpret the image (using your GIMP image without having seen the original light it was photographed in):

Processed in Photoshop with a slight bit more dimension added to the GIMP image. The Lightroom image to me has too much contrast at all levels and has also shifted in the blue channel. I've done that often enough my self and had to pull back some. One of the benefits of using adjustment layers is that you can easily compare effects by turning the layers off and on.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to Don_Campbell, 6 months ago

Don_Campbell wrote:

Of course neither lightroom nor GIMP did the processing. You did the processing, using those tools. Why your images came out looking so different seems to be a matter of inexperience in one or the other app.

I personally find GIMP quite intuitive after having used it since ~1997. (Anything is "intuitive" once you've done it enough times.) On the other hand, In the past several years I've stopped using GIMP for overall image manipulation after processing raws in DPP or RawTherapee.

I favor RawTherapee for most processing because its floating point arithmetic prevents color "knockout" typical of 8-bit per channel processors like GIMP and PS Elements. I use GIMP for end-of-edit tasks like special non-linear processing that works best using layers and layer masks and most sharpening tasks.

Don

I know my way around Gimp but have not done much actual photo processing. I used it more for composites and satire. And I did say that the same effect could be done in either program. I simply said those effects are easier in Lightroom (which you have not used).

Thanks for the reply.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to VisionLight, 6 months ago

Ed, I didn't notice the blue and you could be right. I did not alter the coloring or saturation. I could have easily made it less alarming of course. I tend to get too focused on one thing and lose sight of the big picture I think. You can easily check past views in Lightroom. I was surprised at how much editing is possible. In fact, I think I'm hooked.

Thanks all for responding. Interesting how the more contrasty photo wins the votes. True enough, elephants are quite colorless in real life as someone said. I am noticing that the photos considered "great" are normally not as we world actually see them. But I still want to hang around the general vicinity of reality.

I honestly appreciate everyone's comments. They are very helpful.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Don_Campbell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?

Lake Wobegon wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

Don

I know my way around Gimp but have not done much actual photo processing. I used it more for composites and satire. And I did say that the same effect could be done in either program. I simply said those effects are easier in Lightroom (which you have not used).

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.

I intended no offense. I found your comparison confusing since the two images are so different. If the Lightroom result is what you were aiming for, then LR is probably your best tool. Trying to get GIMP to mimic LR seems silly if LR's result is what you want and Windows7 or later is your OS.

Happy shooting,

Don

Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to Don_Campbell, 6 months ago

Don_Campbell wrote:

Lake Wobegon wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

Don

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.

I intended no offense. I found your comparison confusing since the two images are so different. If the Lightroom result is what you were aiming for, then LR is probably your best tool. Trying to get GIMP to mimic LR seems silly if LR's result is what you want and Windows7 or later is your OS.

Happy shooting,

Don

Don,

I understand. My title was confusing. I was commingling (or is that conflating) the two issues. You were accurate in trying to separate the software from the operator (or operations). I simply wanted to see how many people felt the adjustments were overdone. Coincidentally I had just started using LR and found it easy and powerful so that influenced my poor choice of title. The title really did not describe my intent.

Thanks again for your input. (I will still choose GIMP for most the the graphics stuff I do on a daily basis, which is not all that much. I know where everything is :))

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?

I'd suggest the difference is less about the two software applications than about the choices / familiarity of the user in using them. You could have achieved pretty much the same result for either image with either program.

As to which I like better, its the softer GIMP version. I used to chuckle half a decade ago about about the then current fad for hyper-processing animal shots: as Crispy Critters. The second one verges on that.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
Lake Wobegon
Like?
In reply to I2K4, 6 months ago

I think we are starting to repeat ourselves. I was tempted to make it pink.

Lightroom. A few sliders and you are done. Life is good.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads