Best time to invest in Olympus?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
applecake
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Best time to invest in Olympus?
6 months ago

Hi all,

I'm purchasing a gift for my father for father's day. He's always been into photography but he's never had a great camera - I think the M4/3 system will be the best place to start, especially with so many lens options and high-quality bodies. I settled on the Olympus OMD EM-1 as the best option.

However, I was wondering - the EM-1 came out almost a year ago. Are there any plans for a revision or a new model coming out in the next couple of months? If so, I can postpone it a couple months if it means he'll have a new model to play around with.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

applecake's gear list:applecake's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
gugarci
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078Gear list
Like?
Re: Best time to invest in Olympus?
In reply to applecake, 6 months ago

I don't think you will see an E-M1 replacement for at least 1.5 years.

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216
Like?

If you've decided on the EM1 get it in time for Father's day, if you are in the US.

SLOjoe
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Re: Best time to invest in Olympus? NOW!

Fathers day is Sunday here in the US seems like a good time. Knowing that something newer, better, faster is always on the horizon you just have to decide now is the time. Not knowing how far out the horizon is- is the question of course. Tomorrow- probably not. Next month same. 6 months to a year or more chances are better. For me, now was the time. I just rec'd mine today! By the way, a camera as investment (meaning it will increase in value) no way, they go downhill pretty fast. An investment in enjoying the hobby- sure.

Joe

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551
Like?

Pet peeve:

It's not an investment unless it's making you money somehow.

Danielvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?
E-M10 might be a better choice.
In reply to SLOjoe, 6 months ago

It would be a terrific gift, but if he's never had a great camera as you say, then the E-M1 with its huge number of configurable pro/semi pro features might be overwhelming and confusing.

Unless he really needs the weather sealing (for shooting in pouring rain, etc) or he already has several good legacy Fourthirds lenses (which can be used on the E-M1 with an adapter), I would sooner consider the E-M10, which costs only half of the E-M1, has very similar image quality, a very complete (but not overwhelming) feature set, plus a built-in flash that the E-M1 does not have. The money saved could then go towards an excellent 12-40mm or 25mm lens. Frankly, I think that would be a better choice for most fathers.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,058Gear list
Like?

applecake wrote:

The EM-1 came out almost a year ago. Are there any plans for a revision or a new model coming out in the next couple of months?

Digital camera is an industry where new technologies are very important. So new models are always in the making. But there a no risk buying one of the best cameras in the World. Even if a new model was released this summer (which is very, very unlikely), your father's OM-D e-m1 would still be a great camera.

It's likely that new models will be released this autumn. For now, don't hesitate to please your father.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Danielvr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 6 months ago
It's likely that new models will be released this autumn.

I wouldn't expect another flagship model until the end of 2015 at the very earliest. Olympus is slow to release top-level bodies and there are no urgent new technologies that the user base is screaming for.

E-1: Jun 2003
E-3: Nov 2007
E-5: Oct 2010
E-M1: Oct 2013
E-M3: ??

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +2 more
dennis tennis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216
Like?
In reply to markintosh13, 6 months ago

markintosh13 wrote:

Pet peeve:

wrong!

not money, anything deemed of value by the investor, can be considered an investment.

you can invest spending quality time with your children, invest in cultivating friendships, you can invest in your health.

Of course, maybe to you everything is money.

offtheback
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
In reply to dennis tennis, 6 months ago

When it comes to gear money often buys happiness!At least when the package first shows up.

Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,597Gear list
Like?

Pet peeve:

If you are planning on reselling the camera later on, it probably still qualifies as an investment, just a very bad one.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,930Gear list
Like?
Hou don't "invest" in a camera, apple, you buy it! nt

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
MayaTlab0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
In reply to Danielvr, 6 months ago

Danielvr wrote:

It's likely that new models will be released this autumn.

I wouldn't expect another flagship model until the end of 2015 at the very earliest. Olympus is slow to release top-level bodies and there are no urgent new technologies that the user base is screaming for.

E-1: Jun 2003
E-3: Nov 2007
E-5: Oct 2010
E-M1: Oct 2013
E-M3: ??

I too think it's unlikely that we'll see another top end Olympus camera anytime soon (same for Panasonic), but I wouldn't be completely surprised to see a small revision with a new shutter mechanism to fully exploit the recent introduction of the electronic first curtain, particularly in burst mode or to reduce lag.

.Sam.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,122Gear list
Like?
invest?

Invest?

buying digital cameras of any kind is always a bad financial investment... period.

I guess you could invest in your hobby (or profession) by purchasing a digital camera. Then timing depends on the hobby, not when the new cameras are being introduced.

-- hide signature --

.Sam.
GF1+20+45 Sigma DP2 & Pentax K20D - ist* DS - ZX-5 - LX
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

.Sam.'s gear list:.Sam.'s gear list
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
markintosh13
Like?
In reply to dennis tennis, 6 months ago

dennis tennis wrote:

markintosh13 wrote:

Pet peeve:

wrong!

not money, anything deemed of value by the investor, can be considered an investment.

you can invest spending quality time with your children, invest in cultivating friendships, you can invest in your health.

Of course, maybe to you everything is money.

Or you could simply leave out the language that expresses an current spending of a limited resource now in expectation of a future return.

even your examples fall into that language trap.

it expresses things in terms of markets, of measured value and exchange.

it's okay to simply do something, to give something, to want something, to need something - without having to justify it in such terms. People should be more altruistic and honest to others and themselves. Improper application of the concepts leads to self deception and overspending, and often leads to my other pet peeve - buying way more than one needs in the name of "future proofing".

P.s. Your little personal attack is all the more ironically amusing when they're all rooted in the calculating terms of egocentric personal return.

markintosh13
Like?
In reply to Klarno, 6 months ago

Klarno wrote:

Pet peeve:

If you are planning on reselling the camera later on, it probably still qualifies as an investment, just a very bad one.
--
http://www.photoklarno.com

Many people plan on reselling a car, but with few exceptions cars are almost always  an expense.

Many people should be honest with themselves and view cameras the same way.

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?

applecake wrote:

Hi all,

I'm purchasing a gift for my father for father's day. He's always been into photography but he's never had a great camera - I think the M4/3 system will be the best place to start, especially with so many lens options and high-quality bodies. I settled on the Olympus OMD EM-1 as the best option.

However, I was wondering - the EM-1 came out almost a year ago. Are there any plans for a revision or a new model coming out in the next couple of months? If so, I can postpone it a couple months if it means he'll have a new model to play around with.

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Given the history on the EM5, probably not going to be revised any time soon.

I would also not use the word invest...but I understand your meaning for diving into a system...

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 823Gear list
Like?

I agree wholeheartedly. The investment as said is in enjoyment. Once the learning curve is scaled, it's fun to take photos again.

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
I would not buy Olympus stock

Management has previously lied about financial results. Camera division not profitable. Nikkei overpriced. Bad time to invest.

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,498Gear list
Like?
Applecake...

Your question is a good, valid question -- not withstanding all the ludicrous comments about the meaning of "invest".

As a few others have mentioned, the E-M1 has only been available for about 9 months -- it is still considered a 'new' model by traditional Olympus patterns. I would not hesitate to 'invest' in a new E-M1 for your dad, provided you don't think he would be overwhelmed by the extensive technology offered by this model.

If your father tends to like technological stuff, is a do-it-yourself type person, he will no doubt be thrilled with the camera for some years to come.

Your thoughtful consideration of such a gift for your dad is very commendable -- and I say that as a dad!

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads