Image Stabilisation on S120

Started 1 month ago | Questions
Johnwmorgan
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Image Stabilisation on S120
1 month ago

Dumb question:  I'm sure on my friend's S120, if you move the camera around slowly, the image stays perfectly central on the screen i.e. IS working I assume.  Am I mistaken or is this how IS works i.e. via some small servo motors etc.

The reason I ask is that my new S120 doesn't do this.  If I move it around slowly to simulate shake, it does nothing!

Yet if I switch IS off, my red camera shake warning glows about three shutter speeds faster than when it's switched on.  I guess that means it actually is working, although I'm sure my friend's actually did something mechanical to do this?

Am I going nuts here or is all this stabilization done silently and I was just dreaming previously?  Sorry for the long question

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,019Gear list
Like?
Re: Image Stabilisation on S120
In reply to Johnwmorgan, 1 month ago

Johnwmorgan wrote:

Dumb question: I'm sure on my friend's S120, if you move the camera around slowly, the image stays perfectly central on the screen i.e. IS working I assume. Am I mistaken or is this how IS works i.e. via some small servo motors etc.

The reason I ask is that my new S120 doesn't do this. If I move it around slowly to simulate shake, it does nothing!

Yet if I switch IS off, my red camera shake warning glows about three shutter speeds faster than when it's switched on. I guess that means it actually is working, although I'm sure my friend's actually did something mechanical to do this?

Am I going nuts here or is all this stabilization done silently and I was just dreaming previously? Sorry for the long question

You need the IS set to 'continuous' in the main menu.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johnwmorgan
Like?
In reply to brianj, 1 month ago

Hi Brian

Thanks for your input.  I have tried it on all the different settings.  I guess my question is -- should I be able to see no movement in the viewfinder as the camera is moved around slightly to simulate 'shake'.

John M

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,019Gear list
Like?

Johnwmorgan wrote:

Hi Brian

Thanks for your input. I have tried it on all the different settings. I guess my question is -- should I be able to see no movement in the viewfinder as the camera is moved around slightly to simulate 'shake'.

John M

I don't have a S120, but my superzooms certainly steadied the movement especially at full tele when set to continuous, it was very obvious.  Its not so easy to see at wide angle.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Johnwmorgan
Like?
In reply to brianj, 1 month ago

Ah that's a good point Brian, I'll try and see if it's noticeable on full zoom. Thanks John M

Woody W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467
Like?

I would also suggest that, while reduced, almost any movement large or slow enough to be conscious is probably too much for the system to fully counteract.

-- hide signature --

- Woody -
Equipment: Enough. For now.
Quote: 'The only thing some people will believe is their own eyes. But in the realm of the quality of a printed image, is there really anything else that can be believed? '

Johnwmorgan
Like?
In reply to Woody W., 1 month ago

Woody W. wrote:

I would also suggest that, while reduced, almost any movement large or slow enough to be conscious is probably too much for the system to fully counteract.

-- hide signature --

- Woody -
Quote: 'The only thing some people will believe is their own eyes. But in the realm of the quality of a printed image, is there really anything else that can be believed? '

Agreed Woody, just wondered why my friend's S120 seemed to do this compensation routine which you could see happening - and mine doesn't.  Thought maybe Canon had changed the sytem between versions perhaps.

J

Woody W.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,467
Like?

I would also go back to the full time vs on shutter modes. When you are just holding with the preview on, you can usually see a difference, but it will still usually not fully dampen deliberate movements.

-- hide signature --

- Woody -

Johnwmorgan
Like?
In reply to Woody W., 1 month ago

Woody W. wrote:

I would also go back to the full time vs on shutter modes. When you are just holding with the preview on, you can usually see a difference, but it will still usually not fully dampen deliberate movements.

-- hide signature --

- Woody -

Thanks Woody, I will try that also. JM

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads