Looks like B&H has MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
Looks like B&H has MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY!
3 months ago

In honour of Greg, since the Original thread has reached the maximum posts, and clearly this thread has remained in the top 3 posts in the SAF as such deserves a much needed reset.

That said, you can get your M3 at bestbuy so thats another option available if you wanted to show your dissatisfaction.

I have bought one item at B&H, and it was a flawless experience as is probably 99% of their transactions.

bobkeenan
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Went to Best Buy
In reply to superstar905, 3 months ago

I have ordered lots of stuff over the past 5 years from B&H with no problem.  I have even visited the mecca of Photo stores in NYC.   Its a wild place.  And I will continue to buy from B&H.

Having said that.... they botched this one with me (in 4 ways - wrong web site info, wrong shipping info, wrong confirmation date, and wrong info on phone call) and it looks like I can get the camera faster at my local store or Best Buy.   So I cancelled the BH order.  I am on the wait list and the local store or I can pick one up at Best Buy on 19 June (unless they are messed up too).

-- hide signature --
 bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gteague
Contributing MemberPosts: 954Gear list
Like?
Re: Went to Best Buy
In reply to bobkeenan, 3 months ago

best buy and amazon have both screwed up delivery dates for me. amazon apologized and compensated me--best buy did not but then again best buy has delivered ahead of embargoes before as well.

the incident with b&h is the second time they have made a mistake over a 45 year relationship with them with both business and personal accounts. a dammed impressive track record without compare.

i accepted everything they said about the recent mistake unconditionally--and those claiming multiple problems should realize that everything that followed sprung from that one first or source mistake--and their apology and moved on nearly immediately except for the fact that they still claim that a screenshot taken on their system was actually what i saw on my screen. henry says they pay a lot of money to have that capability, but it is by no means definitive evidence--i'd need access to router and web service logs to the handshake logs: (SYN,SYN-ACK,ACK).

to put it in terms nearly anyone can understand, every one of you has had the experience of refreshing your web browser screen and seeing newer data appear. b&h has no idea when i refresh my screen and a screenshot taken on their end only reflects what is currently live on their systems, not necessarily what i'm seeing. and yes, some sites do 'push' updates, but they have no evidence showing how long it takes that 'pushed' new data to reach me.

sorry henry, i admire all your qualities and your obvious expertise, but you're misguided or have been misled on this one. but if you can prove that you are refreshing my screen remotely and that i actually receive anything you 'push' my way then i'll sue you under privacy rules anyway--so if that's the case, i'd keep it to myself! [g] [jk of course!]

/guy
--
"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,259
Like?
Re: Looks like B&H has MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY!

To all of you freaking over this, if a camera company says it's releasing a camera on the 20th and somehow you've think you' beat the system' because you saw 'in stock' on a web sellers site, you have to blame yourself a little for wanting more than anything to believe it, even if you probably knew better. If it's the 20th, it's the 20th. That's what Sony said.

Wanting to believe sometimes so bad skews your reality. "Well they said......". Yeah, they are a sales store, not the Supreme court. So pull your panties out of the bunch, look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and say to yourself, "ok, I got a little crazy there, it's a camera, not a transplant kidney".

gteague
Like?
In reply to chiane, 3 months ago

to defend myself somewhat (although i'm definitely guilty of what the last poster says!) i've had both amazon and best buy 'jump' the posted embargo date at various points in the past. so it wasn't like i didn't think it possible to get one early. and in this case i was leaving on a trip before the expected arrival date of my amazon order and would have benefitted slightly from an early reception although, as is plainly clear from my gear list, i already have the rx100 mk1.

and we all know that folks show up on the forums with cameras they got early from american retailers off the shelf. so it's not unprecedented.

/guy

-- hide signature --

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sony RX100 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,223
Like?
In reply to chiane, 3 months ago

chiane wrote:

if ... you've think you' beat the system' because you saw 'in stock' on a web sellers site, you have to blame yourself a little for wanting more than anything to believe it, even if you probably knew better.

It's amazing to me how many people are brainwashed by the "gotta have it now" mindset being peddled by the consumer manufacturing industry.  Especially when most people already have a perfectly serviceable device they can use in the meantime.

Capitalism at it's most beguiling!

a5519
Regular MemberPosts: 216
Like?

B&H has been cought cheeting. No reason to be happy.

bobkeenan
Contributing MemberPosts: 690Gear list
Like?
Are you kidding?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 3 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

chiane wrote:

if ... you've think you' beat the system' because you saw 'in stock' on a web sellers site, you have to blame yourself a little for wanting more than anything to believe it, even if you probably knew better.

It's amazing to me how many people are brainwashed by the "gotta have it now" mindset being peddled by the consumer manufacturing industry. Especially when most people already have a perfectly serviceable device they can use in the meantime.

I have been wanting my presents and gifts before the actually holiday since I can remember in the early 1950's.  Hell..... my dog wants to open his presents NOW!

There is no Big Brother Commercialization going on.   Its human nature to want a cool new thing NOW!

I bet  when PaPa Caveman made his first spear for his son,  that the son was chomping at the bit to get it early!

Ever watch little piglets after they are born.   There is a race to see who can get to the best teet first!!

Same thing....no brain washing... we are born this way.  Some more then others!

-- hide signature --
 bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,324Gear list
Like?
I kinda feel sorry for you

As I and many others enjoy this "excitement" that you seem to make fun of, I feel sorry for you for not sharing in it.

But then to each his own and I respect you lack of excitement.

Oh, and the is nothing wrong with Capatalism. Without it we would not have the great cameras we have today.  When was the last time you were employed by a homeless person!  It so sad that people have been convinced that Capitalism is bad.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,223
Like?
Re: I kinda feel sorry for you
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 3 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

As I and many others enjoy this "excitement" that you seem to make fun of, I feel sorry for you for not sharing in it.

Well in this case it seems to be making you angry and upset, and that doesn't seem like such a positive thing to me.

Experience has taught me that the initial excitement of a new purchase fades quickly and you are left with the consequences of that purchase for a long time.   So I've learned to take my time and get the purchase right so that I'm happy with it for the long term.  The number of posts I see in these forums by people always trying to get the next latest and greatest thing suggest to me that some people are never happy no matter what they have.

"Mellow" may not be "exciting", but I've found it to be a very satisfying and rewarding lifestyle.

jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?

You guys defending B&H like it's your family member are a bit funny to me. They did not only make a mistake on their website, they also never sent an update that the orders weren't shipping (I still haven't received one), they never sent an apology, they also keep holding on to the money they deducted from everybody's accounts, and they're limiting proper apologies in the form of store credits to a couple of apparently randomly selected folks (I didn't get one).

Meanwhile Best Buy started shipping (yes, see the other thread) and I can't buy there because my allowance for toys this month (and actually the last two as well) is in the hands of B&H. So you guys can defend B&H as much as you want, but I think they are not doing a great job trying to correct their original mistake at all.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?

Further, we should be careful to distinguish capitalism, which made this country great, from consumerism, which is choking it with debt, extremely short-term goals, selfishness, unemployment and unhappiness.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
WillGallows
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
In reply to jintoku, 3 months ago

I think they handled communications poorly.  Emails explaining what happened/apologies  should have been sent out to all their customers who ordered during that time frame.  Sure we at dpreview forums know what happened, but what about the others who don't come here? I understand why our credit cards were charged, its because the ordering system thought the cameras were available for sale and it expected the items to be shipped out immediately. Still, no matter the reason, its a big inconvenience to the buyer, especially if he wanted to order it from somewhere else and won't have the funds until the money is refunded back into his account.

Honestly, I was planning on keeping my B&H order, since I was assured there were enough cameras for people affected by the error, and i didn't want deal with the hassle of going through the refund process.  HOWEVER,  my boss (AKA WIFE), just now made me cancel my order because she thinks something shady is going on.  She wanted to make a big fuss about it, call the BBB and notify my credit card company.  I told her its no big deal, and just settled on cancelling my order.  I will not be ordering the camera anywhere else, at least until my funds are restored to my card (maybe not even then, my wife wasn't too thrilled about me getting a new camera in the first place).  Its funny, when i tried to cancel online, i was notified that someone was going to get into contact with me about it. I hope no one is going to try to talk me out of it. It'll make this whole experience even more sour. For the record, I have nothing against B&H. This was the first time ordering from them and I understand mistakes happen.

jintoku wrote:

You guys defending B&H like it's your family member are a bit funny to me. They did not only make a mistake on their website, they also never sent an update that the orders weren't shipping (I still haven't received one), they never sent an apology, they also keep holding on to the money they deducted from everybody's accounts, and they're limiting proper apologies in the form of store credits to a couple of apparently randomly selected folks (I didn't get one).

Meanwhile Best Buy started shipping (yes, see the other thread) and I can't buy there because my allowance for toys this month (and actually the last two as well) is in the hands of B&H. So you guys can defend B&H as much as you want, but I think they are not doing a great job trying to correct their original mistake at all.

LenJ
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

I've watched this drame unfold with more than a little head shaking.

Having run complex distribution systems managing thousands of products, I don't think this was anything more than what it was, a few exuberant people in a service oriented business trying to do the right thing without full knowledge. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. It was a mistake, nothing more, nothing less

The ironic part to me was that if people didn't feel the need to broadcast online "look what I know" & be the first to go live with the "it's in stock" notice, it's unlikely that Sony would have realized and alerted B&H that shipments were not authorized...........in which case they might have actually got their camera before B&H realized the error.........one way to look at this is that their dissatisfaction was self-inflicted.

B&H is a very reputable business That is populated by humans, sometimes, humans make mistakes. Henry came online and explained what happened, It resonates as truth to me.

IMO, ymmv.

Len

gteague
Like?
In reply to LenJ, 3 months ago

LenJ wrote:

The ironic part to me was that if people didn't feel the need to broadcast online "look what I know" & be the first to go live with the "it's in stock" notice, it's unlikely that Sony would have realized and alerted B&H
Len

i seriously doubt that sony monitors this forum. i'm absolutely certain we ran any lurkers off years ago complaining that they never update their firmware!

[i notice this time sony has made a point of saying that the mk3 can be upgraded. probably because they're already getting complaints about the evf shutting the power off]

/guy

-- hide signature --

phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 3 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

But then to each his own and I respect you lack of excitement.

Oh, and the is nothing wrong with Capatalism. Without it we would not have the great cameras we have today. When was the last time you were employed by a homeless person! It so sad that people have been convinced that Capitalism is bad.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg I agree with this for the most part.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to newellj, 3 months ago

newellj wrote:

Further, we should be careful to distinguish capitalism, which made this country great, from consumerism, which is choking it with debt, extremely short-term goals, selfishness, unemployment and unhappiness.

Agreed.  But they are connected.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?

Sean Nelson wrote:

chiane wrote:

It's amazing to me how many people are brainwashed by the "gotta have it now" mindset being peddled by the consumer manufacturing industry. Especially when most people already have a perfectly serviceable device they can use in the meantime.

That's a fact.

A little faux pas by a retailer that has a track record of exemplary service and people are acting in "righteous indignation" and calling for the axe to fall on them ??

Bad.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,942
Like?
In reply to doctorxring, 3 months ago

doctorxring wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

That's a fact.

A little faux pas by a retailer that has a track record of exemplary service and people are acting in "righteous indignation" and calling for the axe to fall on them ??

Bad.

Where would the retail electronics industry be, if it didn't have B & H to set a standard for them? In the jungle of shady operators in their city, they stand out like that proverbial lily in an onion patch.

-- hide signature --
jintoku
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
In reply to LenJ, 3 months ago

Len, apart from *one* of their representatives coming on this forum and personally apologizing they have done absolutely *nothing* to rectify their mistake. No apology, not even a notice that the order is delayed, and most importantly, are holding on to the money for ten days before they actually ship the camera, therefore effectively holding customers hostage into their purchase with them when they could purchase the camera any day from BB and have it the next day. That is not optimal behavior by a company realizing that they made a mistake.

I don't want to say that they're particularly bad and that I'll avoid them in the future, but this apologizing for them and pretending that they're saints who put the customers before their own interest is just silly talk. They want to primarily make money, like any other electronics seller, and the reason they're not acting more to correct their error is because this is working out for them: like many others I will keep this order with them because they have my money already and I'm not in a big hurry to get it (but please give me a break attacking those who want it now -- let them have their excitement for Pete's sake and shut up). However when having to pick between them and e.g., Adorama in the future, after this experience I'll be leaning more the Adorama way.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads