Started 3 months ago | Discussions
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel your pain !!
In reply to anotherMike, 3 months ago

anotherMike wrote:

Ha!

On a serious note, at lot of my work in the studio goes out to the younger audience (18-25), and you would not BELIEVE how many of them are interested in this so-called obsolete, old-fashioned thing called a "print", particularly when said print is of reasonable size AND of gallery quality. So while there obviously is lot of interest in 4K, looking at images on the TV, etc, I for one am finding that the physical medium, something tangible in your hand, where the color and density is controlled (you can't control the color and density seen on a viewer, on a display, not even close, since there is SO much variance in the quality and setting of those displays), is actually still very much desired if one takes the time to do the prints correctly, which I do. I'm actually shocked at how many times I hear "wow, the pic you sent me in email was nice, but THIS (referring to the print in the models hand) is absolutely fantastic".

-m

... back to the future! 

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
Re: What to do? (satire)
In reply to xtm, 3 months ago

xtm wrote:

You should switch to mirrorless, since everybody's proclaiming it to be The Greatest Thing to ever happen in photography!

Especially vampire photography

ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?
In reply to brianric, 3 months ago

brianric wrote:

If you need higher ISO and/or fps you are better off with a Df or D4S. I have a Df, and a D3S. I have no intention of getting rid of my D800 & D800E.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

With 16 mp vs 36? I don't think so, 24 maybe. But not 16.

No matter what some claim, MP's do count. Not just for cropping either.

Anyone who really looks at output from the D7100 /K3 sensor with 24MP on APS-C, should easily see why MP's / pixel density, counts.

Add fps and higher ISO the the D800E (as per expected D800s) and its a great everything camera.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to ImageAmateur, 3 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

brianric wrote:

If you need higher ISO and/or fps you are better off with a Df or D4S. I have a Df, and a D3S. I have no intention of getting rid of my D800 & D800E.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Anyone who really looks at output from the D7100 /K3 sensor with 24MP on APS-C, should easily see why MP's / pixel density, counts.

Add fps and higher ISO the the D800E (as per expected D800s) and its a great everything camera.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

You just proved my point of the satire.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?

brianric wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

brianric wrote:

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

No, because reality is that technology changes, things move on. No one ever said that cameras wont work anyone.

But there are BETTER out there.

And some need the added features. Do you really think if we were still using film and an ISO 12800 film came out, people would not buy it? Because who needs more than Kodachrome 64?

Just a reality,. and yes, MP's do count,. no matter is many refuse to accept it.

After all, if they don't, why not sell your D800's and get D700's? Can get money back. Or get another Df instead, same user interface....

Why did you buy your D800's in the first place? Rather ironic.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,271Gear list
Like?
Definately option B

I mean really, who would buy a D800/E now, knowing the D800s is around the corner with far far better technology.

Just trash the lot.  What else can one do when technology leaves you behind?  Oh woe.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
LMCasey
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?

I am like you, I was getting frustrated with Canon, and bought a D800 when it was released. Although I still own a 5D, some APS bodies, and many Canon lenses, I have hardly touched them in the last few years. I really should get off my butt and sell the Canon lenses.

I do wish that Nikon would update some of their lenses though. I'd love an equivalent of the TSE17 (or how about a PC-E14mm). The Canon TSE lenses have many great features and performance that Nikon does not match. I'd also love to see an update to the 24-70; the Canon 24-70/2 is a level above the Nikon offering.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
My dilemma

It's difficult isn't it, making these kinds of decisions.

Personally I'm trying to choose between an rx1, m9 and a df as my next camera to use for a few hundred pretty artless shots of random sh?t with a reassuringly expensive fast lens (the subject/composition isn't really important, as long as the dof is so shallow that 99% of the frame is out of focus) before leaving it on the shelf until I can get around to listing it on eBay. Come to think of it, I still need to get around to listing all that ZF glass.

Can anyone offer advice on this pressing matter that I can then ignore in favour of buying the most expensive option anyway?

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel your pain !!
In reply to anotherMike, 3 months ago

anotherMike wrote:

Ha!

On a serious note, at lot of my work in the studio goes out to the younger audience (18-25), and you would not BELIEVE how many of them are interested in this so-called obsolete, old-fashioned thing called a "print", particularly when said print is of reasonable size AND of gallery quality. So while there obviously is lot of interest in 4K, looking at images on the TV, etc, I for one am finding that the physical medium, something tangible in your hand, where the color and density is controlled (you can't control the color and density seen on a viewer, on a display, not even close, since there is SO much variance in the quality and setting of those displays), is actually still very much desired if one takes the time to do the prints correctly, which I do. I'm actually shocked at how many times I hear "wow, the pic you sent me in email was nice, but THIS (referring to the print in the models hand) is absolutely fantastic".

-m

Yep, I bought a 3880 about a year ago and do my own printing now, usually a3/a2. Previously I had just posted stuff on websites etc., but printing completely changed my outlook.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 751Gear list
Like?
Re: My dilemma
In reply to Apollo18, 3 months ago

Apollo18 wrote:

It's difficult isn't it, making these kinds of decisions.

Personally I'm trying to choose between an rx1, m9 and a df as my next camera to use for a few hundred pretty artless shots of random sh?t with a reassuringly expensive fast lens (the subject/composition isn't really important, as long as the dof is so shallow that 99% of the frame is out of focus) before leaving it on the shelf until I can get around to listing it on eBay. Come to think of it, I still need to get around to listing all that ZF glass.

Can anyone offer advice on this pressing matter that I can then ignore in favour of buying the most expensive option anyway?

I will try to help... are you laying down, comfortable, lights dimmed?

Buy one of each camera body; and do nothing but take comparative test shots all day... very therapeutic!

And, most important, buy 3 copies of each of the available lenses for each camera body... to be sure you get a good copy to test.

There, there... its not so difficult, is it?

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,182Gear list
Like?
In reply to ImageAmateur, 3 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

brianric wrote:

ImageAmateur wrote:

brianric wrote:

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

No, because reality is that technology changes, things move on. No one ever said that cameras wont work anyone.

But there are BETTER out there.

And some need the added features. Do you really think if we were still using film and an ISO 12800 film came out, people would not buy it? Because who needs more than Kodachrome 64?

Just a reality,. and yes, MP's do count,. no matter is many refuse to accept it.

Bull. In most cases 36 MP is over kill, especially in event photography. in 95% of my use 6.78 MP is more than sufficient, otherwise the American Cancer Society would not be using my photos for print advertisement on a National basis.

After all, if they don't, why not sell your D800's and get D700's? Can get money back. Or get another Df instead, same user interface....

Why did you buy your D800's in the first place? Rather ironic.

Not really. 36 MP allow me to crop more when I'm focal limited or can't zoom out fast enough to get the shot. The Df is used when shooting above ISO 800. D3S when I need 9 fps with a bigger buffer. If you had checked my gear you will also note I have a D700.

You just proved my point that some people have to have the latest and greatest, a category that you fit in. Nothing wrong with that. You can spend your money anyway you see fit. Knock yourself out sport.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads