What to do? (satire)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,190Gear list
Like?
What to do? (satire)
4 months ago

To all Nikon users. I don't know what to do. I got three Relay for Life events left to shoot, last one being June 28. Nikon is rumored to be coming out with a D800S on June 26, making my D800 & D800E obsolete. Should I try and sell them before the prices for a used D800/D800E drop out of sight, or should I toss them into the dumpster because they are pretty much worthless as they stand?

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +10 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
holgerlinke
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Re: What to do? (satire)
In reply to brianric, 4 months ago

brianric wrote:

To all Nikon users. I don't know what to do. I got three Relay for Life events left to shoot, last one being June 28. Nikon is rumored to be coming out with a D800S on June 26, making my D800 & D800E obsolete. Should I try and sell them before the prices for a used D800/D800E drop out of sight, or should I toss them into the dumpster because they are pretty much worthless as they stand?

You shouldn't think that narrow-minded: sell off all your Nikon stuff immediately, and shoot the events with with your Sony RX100. Small is beautiful nowadays.

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 867Gear list
Like?

I've just learned in another (lengthy) thread, that the Nokia 41MP phone beats the D800 too, so why not go ultra-light-weight?

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644Gear list
Like?

Dump that old junk NOW.  Get a Nikon 1 or Coolpix A before the old D800 spontaneously destructs.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?
Re: What to do? (satire) Poor Satire at best.

brianric wrote:

Don't get the point of these foolish threads.  And it seems limited to photography forums for some reason.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 and a bit more "stuff"

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
xtm
xtm
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

You should switch to mirrorless, since everybody's proclaiming it to be The Greatest Thing to ever happen in photography!

xtm's gear list:xtm's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +1 more
holgerlinke
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

Don't get the point of these foolish threads. And it seems limited to photography forums for some reason.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 and a bit more "stuff"

You may see it as a training session - there'll come a time soon when similar threads will flood this forum, but without the "satire" tag...

This thread reminded of the same situation two years ago, when the D800 was announced/rumoured.

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +5 more
ImageAmateur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492
Like?

brianric wrote:

If you need the better AF and high ISO and fps of the D800s (IF the rumours are true), likely you will have a short window of opportunity to dump the old stuff and get one of the new ones.

Of course, if none of those matter.... no biggie.

Yes, after the new stuff comes out, as always, old gear will fall on used market by a couple hundred US.

So 2 camera x say USD 200 to USD 400 = USD 400 to USD 800 could be the net loss.

That is IF you need the new features.

So, actually a legitimate question for some, why lose another USD 400 to USD 800 when no need, if those actually could use those new expected features?

Not as silly as it may seem, for some.

But likely you do not, or you would not be posting a satire...

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Cheezr
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
In reply to ImageAmateur, 4 months ago

You should dump them into my dumpster!!

I don't mind adopting stray DSLR's

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

brianric
Like?
In reply to ImageAmateur, 4 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

brianric wrote:

If you need the better AF and high ISO and fps of the D800s (IF the rumours are true), likely you will have a short window of opportunity to dump the old stuff and get one of the new ones.

If you need higher ISO and/or fps you are better off with a Df or D4S. I have a Df, and a D3S. I have no intention of getting rid of my D800 & D800E.

Of course, if none of those matter.... no biggie.

Yes, after the new stuff comes out, as always, old gear will fall on used market by a couple hundred US.

So 2 camera x say USD 200 to USD 400 = USD 400 to USD 800 could be the net loss.

That is IF you need the new features.

So, actually a legitimate question for some, why lose another USD 400 to USD 800 when no need, if those actually could use those new expected features?

Not as silly as it may seem, for some.

But likely you do not, or you would not be posting a satire...

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

Keep your D800/E.

Since they are the last Nikon bodies to be made in Japan they are about to skyrocket in value since the D800S will be made in Somalia.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,028
Like?
I feel your pain !!

Man, I feel your pain!

First I hear about how my D800E has these HORRIBLE reds, over-saturated, out of control... I know this because some poster in this forum says it's so. Next thing you know, it's not red, but the horrible GREEN CAST this camera of mine is supposed to have! Holy Hell, I'm confused now lemme tell ya. I mean, even though I have neither issues with reds nor any green cast, I mean, some forum guy says there's a problem, with lots of posts and arrogance, so of course there must be one, right? I mean, it must be me who is wrong, blind, or inept, right??

And then to top it all off, I hear these rumors of a D800S - is it going to have a problem with silver? Is that what the "S" stands for??? Plus, OMG in capital letters, it's made in THAILAND! Does that mean it's going to break the moment I open the box up??

It's enough to make me look for a Kodak Disc camera on ebay and just give this modern stuff up, ya know?

-m, one reader who is beyond frustrated at the vast amounts of bull excrement he reads in this forum the past month or so, who actually loves his red cast camera, er, oops, green cast camera, er, soon to be replaced by a Thailand model camera and wouldn't trade it for anything he's used from any brand in the past 35 years....

BartyLobethal
Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
Help Somebody in the Third World

brianric wrote:

Should I try and sell them before the prices for a used D800/D800E drop out of sight, or should I toss them into the dumpster because they are pretty much worthless as they stand?

This is Barty. [Embed image of over-fed but forlorn-looking man here]. Like many middle-aged Australian photographers he don't have a D800, having instead to make do with the stone-age D700 and other unsatisfactory digital SLRs.

So, instead of tossing your cameras in the dumpster, send them to to someone more needy than yourself. Either the D800 or the D800E. I don't mind. I'm not proud.

Please, don't let Barty go to sleep tonight without a D800.

-- hide signature --

BartyL

BartyLobethal's gear list:BartyLobethal's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
LMCasey
Contributing MemberPosts: 549Gear list
Like?

Sell both of your bodies, and all your lenses. This should allow you to purchase a 5D3 with kit lens. We all know the 5D3 is the ultimate event and all-purpose camera. You can work around the pattern noise and low DR.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 400D Nikon D800 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +15 more
TQGroup
Contributing MemberPosts: 791Gear list
Like?
Re: I feel your pain !!
In reply to anotherMike, 4 months ago

Ditch the lot now!

Movies/video are the go and 4K are best! If your kit can't do 240 fps slow-mo is gotta be decrepit. And it must have 16 channel audio... people wanna see action and hear action - and stream it live across the 'net.

Who has time to look at static moments in the past? Live for today!

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,865Gear list
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

brianric wrote:

Don't get the point of these foolish threads. And it seems limited to photography forums for some reason.

It made me smile the first time.

Since then, there must have been as many posts of the same vein in this forum as there are bad AF targets for Leonard.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
EYeye
Regular MemberPosts: 193Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bunza, 4 months ago

Bunza wrote:

Keep your D800/E.

Since they are the last Nikon bodies to be made in Japan they are about to skyrocket in value since the D800S will be made in Somalia.

Is THIS the reason that the missing Malaysian 747 was secretly flown to Somalia? Conversion to freight for cheaper transshipment to Japan?

EYeye's gear list:EYeye's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D80 +6 more
pajarrett
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
I will leave my trash cans out front.

Please gently place your old-used-worthless cameras gently in the can and walk away happy that you will soon have the latest and greatest from Nikon.

I almost forgot, if you have any f/2.8 lenses, you will probably need to replace those also (especially the 70-200 VRII, its probably darn near worn out); so you just as well toss those in the can also. Uhh, I mean gently place them next to the cameras.  You can thank me latter.

All the best,

pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
brianric
Like?
In reply to LMCasey, 4 months ago

LMCasey wrote:

Sell both of your bodies, and all your lenses. This should allow you to purchase a 5D3 with kit lens. We all know the 5D3 is the ultimate event and all-purpose camera. You can work around the pattern noise and low DR.

It's funny, it was the 5D2 that led me to sell all my Canon gear and go Nikon (true story).

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,028
Like?
Re: I feel your pain !!
In reply to TQGroup, 4 months ago

Ha!

On a serious note, at lot of my work in the studio goes out to the younger audience (18-25), and you would not BELIEVE how many of them are interested in this so-called obsolete, old-fashioned thing called a "print", particularly when said print is of reasonable size AND of gallery quality. So while there obviously is lot of interest in 4K, looking at images on the TV, etc, I for one am finding that the physical medium, something tangible in your hand, where the color and density is controlled (you can't control the color and density seen on a viewer, on a display, not even close, since there is SO much variance in the quality and setting of those displays), is actually still very much desired if one takes the time to do the prints correctly, which I do. I'm actually shocked at how many times I hear "wow, the pic you sent me in email was nice, but THIS (referring to the print in the models hand) is absolutely fantastic".

-m

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads