Anyone tried one of those Sensor Gel sticks on a 6D or a 5D3 yet??

Started 2 months ago | Questions
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
2 months ago

I have one, but want feedback before I try it out

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone tried one of those Sensor Gel sticks on a 6D or a 5D3 yet??
In reply to MASTERPPA, 2 months ago

MASTERPPA wrote:

Since this is the last thing you would want to do, why do you ask?

Self cleaning is self cleaning, and while occasionally some odd anomaly shows up like oil contamination on some 1DX units, the risk of introducing some form of residue is too high to do it for fun.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur
“Imagination is more important than knowledge..." -- Albert Einstein

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
In reply to Phil, 2 months ago

You do know what I am talking about right? The new type of Gel Stick cleaners.. PS The self sensor cleaning is NOT 100% (yea, nothing is) but sometimes things really stick and the self cleaning does not get some of it.. That is when you need manual cleaning (hence, why its even a menu option)

Phil wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

Self cleaning is self cleaning, and while occasionally some odd anomaly shows up like oil contamination on some 1DX units, the risk of introducing some form of residue is too high to do it for fun.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,278Gear list
Like?

MASTERPPA wrote:

You do know what I am talking about right? The new type of Gel Stick cleaners.. PS The self sensor cleaning is NOT 100% (yea, nothing is) but sometimes things really stick and the self cleaning does not get some of it.. That is when you need manual cleaning (hence, why its even a menu option)

I know what you mean, the stick in question has a sticky like texture. NO WAY DOES IT LEAVE RESIDUE, lets get that clear its similar to the one recommended by pentax for there sensors. What you do is use like dab motions on the sensor so any dust/pollen adheres to the stick, then what you do with the included special ob sorbent paper is wipe the debris off of the stick. How oil stands up is another issue, where wet clean would be the obvious choice.

Good luck with your clean.  

Phil wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
bed bug
Senior MemberPosts: 2,946
Like?

I would not listen to this guy, he usually denegrates those who attempt DYI cleaning,

see: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53796560

Looks like he is attempting to promote his own business, which is banned on these forums. I have lodged a complaint.

Regards
Stephen

Phil wrote:

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

JMckenna
Regular MemberPosts: 409
Like?

Phil wrote:

MASTERPPA wrote:

I don't understand this comment? Why shouldn't we learn how to properly and safely clean our own sensors; and why is it "the last thing you want to do"? For the price that camera shops charge to clean a sensor you can buy the basic tools in a kit which should last at least a couple of years. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

The product information on the sensor gel stick states it will not leave any residue, so again I don't understand that comment unless you've have had a bad experience with it. I am using Eclipse on my 5D2 sensor and I haven't left any residue to date, it evaporates completely.

And it is "fun" once you get proficient doing it 

James M.

The1willy
Forum MemberPosts: 53Gear list
Like?

MASTERPPA wrote:

I've used one a few times on my old 5D if that info is of any use to you. They were going to charge me a fortune for a professional clean, so I thought 'why not'. However, if I owned a 5D3 worth several times as much, I might not have been so brave.

It worked well, my 5D sensor was covered in dust spots and it got rid of all but the really stubborn ones. If you do it carefully, it doesn't leave any residue. I bought the eyelead one.

It certainly saved me a lot of time in post.

The1willy's gear list:The1willy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
GammyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 490
Like?
In reply to JMckenna, 2 months ago

JMckenna wrote:

James M.

I'd never describe it as fun - it's always a brown-trousers moment for me

But given a choice I'd always rather do a wet clean than poke about with gel sticks or static brushes or whatever else there is out there.

Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

If it's good enough for Roger at LensRentals, it ought to be good enough for a 6D or 5D3. While I haven't done this personally, it makes sense that getting junk near the edges and corners would be easier with the stamp. Note that they are of course very meticulous in their cleaning and the stamp is only a part of the process. Watch about it here.....

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,180Gear list
Like?
In reply to GammyKnee, 2 months ago

GammyKnee wrote:

JMckenna wrote:

James M.

I'd never describe it as fun - it's always a brown-trousers moment for me

But given a choice I'd always rather do a wet clean than poke about with gel sticks or static brushes or whatever else there is out there.

Yah I hate doing it too...I have like 2 stubborn spots right now, not worth removing and can deal with it in post.  Once it gets up to 10 maybe I'll do something lol.  Haven't done anything but a blower since owning my 6D and love the negligence I've given it.  Haven't swapped lenses in a sandstorm though.

My biggest complaint about this tool is just the idea that I would spend 50 bucks on it, use it...and find out my few remaining spots are really like oil or something that doesn't come off with this adhesive like technique...at that point its like well I had to wet clean anyways.  On the otherhand I do not like the idea of wet cleaning because I believe it leaves a microscopic layer of residue that makes your sensor more dust prone compared to when it came out of the factory...so maybe the adhesive gel technique is better in that regard.  Then again who is to say the gel doesn't leave residue...they had to formulate another one for Sony because it clearly did leave residue on Sony sensors.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe Mayer, 2 months ago

Joe Mayer wrote:

If it's good enough for Roger at LensRentals, it ought to be good enough for a 6D or 5D3. While I haven't done this personally, it makes sense that getting junk near the edges and corners would be easier with the stamp. Note that they are of course very meticulous in their cleaning and the stamp is only a part of the process. Watch about it here.....

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/04/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

I think an ionized air source (hard to come by) might be a better first step, but this is what I would expect for cleaning the UV filter over the sensor. Note it is not a single step operation and the gel stick left left a residue he had to remove with the pad tool.

If you can find an ionized air source it will remove the static charge on particles and then they do fall away as you would hope. Audiophiles with vinyl may have one to neutralize surface static. It was also a little silly to attempt cleaning at this level without more of a clean room approach on the LR workstation which could explain the need for multiple passes.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
DavidFromPhila
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?

I haven't yet, but am considering it also. I have used this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/604569-REG/Lenspen_LENSK1A_SensorKlear_II_with_Articulated.html on both a 6D and 5DII, and it's been great. I only use it 4-6 times and then replace it since it's so inexpensive.

I use it in conjunction with a rocket blower, my basic work flow is, rocket blow for awhile, check, if still dirty, use the pen and then rocket blow some more. Usually that's good enough, I think once I had to repeat the last 2 steps.

BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467
Like?
Yes, I use Dust-Aid and it works great

I use it on my 1DMKIV.

Dust-Aid Platinum...http://dust-aid.com/08DAplatinum.html

It's what I use and it works great - very easy to use. I can clean my sensor in less than 5 mins. It is a dry cleaning method and can be taken with you on location. LensRentals uses Dust-Aid in their cleaning process. But unlike LensRentals, I only use the Dust-Aid and skip the blower & brushing. Seems like the sticky stamp process is all I need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRW9AmDPqr0

Dust-Aid also makes a wet cleaning device call the Dust-Wand, for dust particles that are stuck-on the sensor. So far I have not needed it, since the sticky stamp gets the job done.

Just make sure you get the Platinum version of Dust-Aid. It's the latest and greatest version. I bought mine from a seller on amazon, but it can be bought directly from Dust-Aid's site.

Hephaestus
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

Looks like a good product, IF indeed it does not leave any sticky residue. I always had excellent result with Arctic Butterfly from VisibleDust, it appears to be safer then ionized air someone mentioned, and definitely does not leave any residue. It actually attracts the dust particles to charged fibres. Very expensive, but I think worth it, and if used with a bit of care, lasts forever.

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3

MASTERPPA wrote:

MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, 2 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

. Then again who is to say the gel doesn't leave residue...they had to formulate another one for Sony because it clearly did leave residue on Sony sensors.

just curious... Does it leave a residue on Sony sensors but not on the anti-aliasing filters which sit atop many Sony sensors?

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
ambercool
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?

It doesn't work well on my 5D, but then you might have more luck.  Just be careful and don't let the edges press too hard.  Center press is fine but if you lift off wrong at the edge you might smear and then get really angry.  

-- hide signature --

-Viet
http://www.ambercool.com
"Luck comes to those who do"

ambercool's gear list:ambercool's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Olympus E-5 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +20 more
bosco1955
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

I have the Eyelead SCK-1 Sensor Cleaning stick and I used it on the T3i and my 6D...Its works good for me. Gets All dust spots off with no marks on the AA filters.

bosco1955's gear list:bosco1955's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,762Gear list
Like?

I first time heard this product. I might give a try if VisibleDust kit (Orange-color) that I just bought is still unable to clean a few dust/oil spots on A7R's sensor.  I tried Copperhill wet cleaning (that works fine with all my Canon DSLRs) on A7R's sensor (my understanding is that it has a different coating) but failed to remove spots.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,414
Like?
A fix
In reply to qianp2k, 2 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

I first time heard this product. I might give a try if VisibleDust kit (Orange-color) that I just bought is still unable to clean a few dust/oil spots on A7R's sensor. I tried Copperhill wet cleaning (that works fine with all my Canon DSLRs) on A7R's sensor (my understanding is that it has a different coating) but failed to remove spots.

A shame about not being able to clean the new Sony sensor filters.  A fix may be here
For Sony

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,180Gear list
Like?
Re: A fix
In reply to Mako2011, 2 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I first time heard this product. I might give a try if VisibleDust kit (Orange-color) that I just bought is still unable to clean a few dust/oil spots on A7R's sensor. I tried Copperhill wet cleaning (that works fine with all my Canon DSLRs) on A7R's sensor (my understanding is that it has a different coating) but failed to remove spots.

A shame about not being able to clean the new Sony sensor filters. A fix may be here
For Sony

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I really hope they have a strong engineering explanation for the alpha orange like hue and that the product does not use artificial coloring to make it more 'marketable' somehow.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads