Sony A-77 photo distortion vs Nikon

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
mysp7377
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Sony A-77 photo distortion vs Nikon
5 months ago

Ive been shooting with a couple of Nikon D600's for a couple years now, I can turn on the Photo Distortion on the D600s and all subjects in my photo's with straight lines (fences, railroad tracks ect) are straight not curved, I  just grabbed a Sony A 77 at a blow out price since the A 77II is on the way. When I turn the photo distortion to auto on the A 77 my straight lines are still curved in the photo's, Im using a Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens on it, is there something else I forgot to turn on, on the A 77 to straighten out the distortion.

-- hide signature --

John...

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Rosser
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,324Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A-77 photo distortion vs Nikon
In reply to mysp7377, 5 months ago

mysp7377 wrote:

Ive been shooting with a couple of Nikon D600's for a couple years now, I can turn on the Photo Distortion on the D600s and all subjects in my photo's with straight lines (fences, railroad tracks ect) are straight not curved, I just grabbed a Sony A 77 at a blow out price since the A 77II is on the way. When I turn the photo distortion to auto on the A 77 my straight lines are still curved in the photo's, Im using a Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens on it, is there something else I forgot to turn on, on the A 77 to straighten out the distortion.

-- hide signature --

John...

I doubt if the camera firmware includes correction algorithms for third party lenses.  Try a Sony lens on the camera and see what happens.

-- hide signature --
 David Rosser's gear list:David Rosser's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC5 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D40 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Rosser, 5 months ago

David Rosser wrote:

mysp7377 wrote:

Ive been shooting with a couple of Nikon D600's for a couple years now, I can turn on the Photo Distortion on the D600s and all subjects in my photo's with straight lines (fences, railroad tracks ect) are straight not curved, I just grabbed a Sony A 77 at a blow out price since the A 77II is on the way. When I turn the photo distortion to auto on the A 77 my straight lines are still curved in the photo's, Im using a Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens on it, is there something else I forgot to turn on, on the A 77 to straighten out the distortion.

-- hide signature --

John...

I doubt if the camera firmware includes correction algorithms for third party lenses. Try a Sony lens on the camera and see what happens.

-- hide signature --

Or shot raw and then correct it with Lightroom... I guess there is the profile also for the Tamron there.

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,398
Like?

David Rosser wrote:

mysp7377 wrote:

-- hide signature --

John...

I doubt if the camera firmware includes correction algorithms for third party lenses. Try a Sony lens on the camera and see what happens.

Or use a better lens which doesn't have distortion.

AndreaV
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago

D Cox wrote:

David Rosser wrote:

mysp7377 wrote:

-- hide signature --

John...

Or use a better lens which doesn't have distortion.

That's the best, but by far most expensive solution.

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
mysp7377
Like?

Thanks Dave I heard the same thing on third party lenses and distortion corrections. Interesting that Sony has a sizable stack in Tamron so the rumor is Tamron builds lens for Sony similar to Tamron's own lenses just relabels them for Sony.

-- hide signature --

John...

mysp7377
Like?
In reply to AndreaV, 5 months ago

Copy that thanks AndreaV

-- hide signature --

John...

mysp7377
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago

this is a common problem with all in one zoom lenses I don't think there's a way around it except by running the pics through photo shop

-- hide signature --

John...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads