Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Francisco Contreras
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.
6 months ago

Between the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM which one its the best ?

I only have $1500US for buying this lens. I've already have wide and normal lenses so now i want to complete the family but my budget its only $1500US Because in terms of cost its almost the same it's just $100US of difference.

I now that a f2.8 its gorgeous but for me the weight its a very important deal. Do you guys thing that the IS of the f4 will be enough for replacing the 1 stop that increases in the f4 ?

Sorry for my english but this is to technical for me.

Thanks a lot !

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,645Gear list
Like?
Re: Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.
In reply to Francisco Contreras, 6 months ago

Francisco Contreras wrote:

Between the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM which one its the best ?

I only have $1500US for buying this lens. I've already have wide and normal lenses so now i want to complete the family but my budget its only $1500US Because in terms of cost its almost the same it's just $100US of difference.

I now that a f2.8 its gorgeous but for me the weight its a very important deal. Do you guys thing that the IS of the f4 will be enough for replacing the 1 stop that increases in the f4 ?

Thanks a lot !

The f/2.8 is an old lens and, although its image quality is very good, the f/4 is better.

The IS on the f/4 is worth 2-3 stops so that lens will be better for hand held shots of stationary subjects in low light.  However, it won't help with motion blur if you are shooting fast moving targets in low light.

So, if you want to shoot something like sports in low light or if you need the very shortest depth of field, then get the f/2.8 .  For everything else the f/4 is better and lighter.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ido S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?
Neither, actually

The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC is a wonderful lens and is a much better choice than either one of these, unless you value the f/4's size and weight reduction over the extra stop in maximum aperture.

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +3 more
photographyroundtable
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Which one of this lenses is the best option ? If they have almost the same price.

Go with the f/4. Half the price and the difference between a f/2.8 and f/4 is not a huge deal unless you are shooting for a magazine or in REALLY low light. You'll be very happy with the f/4

mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Neither, actually
In reply to Ido S, 6 months ago

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM is also worth considering.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
For what purpose ?

You did not say what subjects or type of photography you expect to shoot with the lens, and it's hard to advise you without that ( although people seem happy to ).

I take the view that you either have a real need for f2.8 on a telephoto zoom or you don't.

As you're considering an f4 instead then in the absence of more information I'd have to presume there's no reason to get the f2.8.

But then the question arises do you even need f4 constant ?

Do you guys thing that the IS of the f4 will be enough for replacing the 1 stop that increases in the f4 ?

All IS lets you do is use a longer shutter speed that you would otherwise. So you don't get more light. If you need to freeze subject motion IS doesn't help at all and it can make things worse by giving the false impression you can shoot at slow shutter speeds and get away with it.

But again, what are you shooting that requires a large heavy zoom ?

And for that matter what camera are you using to shoot it ?

Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,631Gear list
Like?

I have the 70-200 f2.8L IS and the 70-200 f4 (old version).  They are both excellent lenses.  I seldom use the 2.8 because of the weight.  I am thinking of selling both lenses and buying the 70-200 f4 IS for that reason.  FWIW I do not shoot indoor action so that IS is more important for me than the extra stop.  Where the extra stop may be useful is in isolating the subject.  However, I have the 85 mm f1.8 for that.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
dougeryb
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
Re: Neither, actually
In reply to Ido S, 6 months ago

The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC is a wonderful lens and is a much better choice than either one of these, unless you value the f/4's size and weight reduction over the extra stop in maximum aperture.

I own both canon (mkII) and Tamron (divc Nikon mount) 70-200 f/2.8. Given the choice of the two lenses the op listed and Tamron, I would go with Tamron. Fantastic lens at a great price.

Of the two lenses you listed (f/4is and 2.8 non is) it would depend on what you shoot. I shoot a lot of indoor action where I need the fastest shutter speed possible, so the 2.8 would be my choice. If you're looking for a jack of all trades for family photos and vacations, the f/4is would be a good choice. It's lighter, has is, and is incredibly sharp.
--
Gear: Anything to shoot with, be it a phone, a disposable camera, or my kids Nerf digi-cam.

Beachcomber Joe
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

The IS of the f/4 gives you an extra 2 or 3 stops of hand held lower shutter speed vs the f/2.8. So if your consideration is hand holding in low light the f/4 wins. IS also tends to result in a sharper image at moderate shutter speeds and helps with framing at all shutter speeds.  The IS does not help when you need the extra stop of light the f/2.8 provides to keep shutter speed high enough to prevent a moving subject from blurring.  The f/4 also has clear advantages in size and weight and is a newer optical design.

Unless you need the extra stop of the f/2.8 to prevent going to a noisy ISO or you need f/2.8 to keep your shutter speed up to prevent motion blur the f/4 is the better choice.

Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?

Thanks a lot !

I chose the 70-200 f/4 IS USM lens. It has excellent performance and is much lighter than the f/2.8 version.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +7 more
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: For what purpose ?
In reply to darklamp, 6 months ago

darklamp wrote:

All IS lets you do is use a longer shutter speed that you would otherwise. So you don't get more light.

Technically, you end up with more light by using the longer shutter speed, but I get what you're saying

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
gianstam
Contributing MemberPosts: 773Gear list
Like?
FF or APS-C?

f4 for FF. 2.8 for APS-C

Thanks a lot !

gianstam's gear list:gianstam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus E-330 Pentax K20D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads