The Florida Keys - Final results - Some sleepers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,389Gear list
Like?
The Florida Keys - Final results - Some sleepers
3 months ago

I received a lot of great feedback on my Florida Keys photos and made many changes as a result.

Then I circulated them to my family and friends. I received surprisingly positive feedback on a few of the photos that I hadn't considered good enough to post here. Therefore, I decided to post those here now to find out if I had judged them too harshly or if they had been forgiving of flaws.

Constructive criticism is welcome and encouraged even though I didn't consider these my best.

For those interested, I am also posting the links to my complete gallery of Florida Keys photos.

This first set of links show the photos I took that I think you are most likely to enjoy.

The Florida Keys (Favorites) Flickr Set

The Florida Keys (Favorites) Flickr Slide Show

This second set of links show all of the photos from the first set of links plus additional ones I think you may like. It also contains photos that give you a feel for being there. A number of these photos I still haven't posted here on dpreview and unless I discover some more sleepers I likely never will.

The Florida Keys (Story) Flickr Set

The Florida Keys (Story) Flickr Slide Show

Watching the sunset

Wild chickens on a Key West morning

Jet Ski Sunrise

A real house boat

Sunset followed by a great "Hog Fish" for dinner

Smiling fish. Not actually m43. It was taken with the Olympus TG-2 that I bought for this trip.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,268
Like?
Re: The Florida Keys - Final results - Some sleepers
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 3 months ago

I see Holiday Isle. Loved that place in the 80's and 90's!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Like?
In reply to chiane, 3 months ago

chiane wrote:

I see Holiday Isle. Loved that place in the 80's and 90's!

Educate me. Which photo has Holiday Isle?

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Savas Kyprianides
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,374
Like?

A regular Clyde Butcher!

Like?
In reply to Savas Kyprianides, 3 months ago

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

A regular Clyde Butcher!

So I had to Google to find out who he is. Thanks for the compliment!

Strange that I haven't heard of him before.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,570Gear list
Like?

I quite enjoyed both the Flickr sets, being a good photographic journey of your time there.   An interesting mix of subjects.

My question to you would be, if you could print/hang only one, which would you choose?    

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 3 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

I quite enjoyed both the Flickr sets, being a good photographic journey of your time there. An interesting mix of subjects.

My question to you would be, if you could print/hang only one, which would you choose?

See this threadfor your answer. But it seems there may be an issue with the number of pixels in that image since I cropped out an island on the left to get that composition. Ah... heck... Here it is again... Do you think it is a good choice? Which would you use?

Bob Tullis
Like?

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I quite enjoyed both the Flickr sets, being a good photographic journey of your time there. An interesting mix of subjects.

See this threadfor your answer. But it seems there may be an issue with the number of pixels in that image since I cropped out an island on the left to get that composition. Ah... heck... Here it is again... Do you think it is a good choice? Which would you use?

Funny - after I posted that Q I saw your other topic. . . this was one I personally had in mind for hanging, though there are many candidates.   I love this perspective.  Colorfully engaging, leading right to the source of light over it all.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

Funny - after I posted that Q I saw your other topic. . . this was one I personally had in mind for hanging, though there are many candidates. I love this perspective. Colorfully engaging, leading right to the source of light over it all.

And now I'm wishing I would have thought to frame it that way at the time so I didn't have to do such a heavy crop to get it. Then I could enlarge it more.

Bob Tullis
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

Funny - after I posted that Q I saw your other topic. . . this was one I personally had in mind for hanging, though there are many candidates. I love this perspective. Colorfully engaging, leading right to the source of light over it all.

And now I'm wishing I would have thought to frame it that way at the time so I didn't have to do such a heavy crop to get it. Then I could enlarge it more.

Is it possible to clone out the island? Then again, maybe the perspective THAT framing exhibits isn't as pleasant as this is (if it centers the vanishing point, it could render the composition more static than this is dynamic). But you took it with the island included initially - now inquiring minds wants to see it [g]. Was it a good idea at the time? Did you take a portrait orientation as well?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

But you took it with the island included initially - now inquiring minds wants to see it [g]. Was it a good idea at the time? Did you take a portrait orientation as well?

I did not take a portrait version. Here is the original... What do you think about cloning out the island. At the time I thought it would add interest but in post I got the idea to try without it and liked it.

DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,027Gear list
Like?

Savas Kyprianides wrote:

A regular Clyde Butcher!

So I had to Google to find out who he is. Thanks for the compliment!

Strange that I haven't heard of him before.

He (Clyde Butcher) has a real nice gallery in the Everglades on the old highway from Miami to Naples.   It is worth stopping at looking at his extremely large prints.  He also leads swamp walks.

Anyhow, I have enjoyed your photos.  The Keys is a great place to visit and you ended up with some excellent photos.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
Like?
In reply to DLBlack, 3 months ago

DLBlack wrote:

He (Clyde Butcher) has a real nice gallery in the Everglades on the old highway from Miami to Naples. It is worth stopping at looking at his extremely large prints.

Wish I would have known that. I drove across there on my way and back.

Anyhow, I have enjoyed your photos. The Keys is a great place to visit and you ended up with some excellent photos.

Thanks.

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,517
Like?

Florida, I like the chickens not because of any great technical qualities but just because it is so different  that I think it almost approaches the surreal. If it were mine I'd pimp the hell out of it - it's a strangely bizarre and appealing shot. There again, maybe it's just my sense of the ridiculous at work here!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Like?
In reply to yyr, 3 months ago

yyr wrote:

Florida, I like the chickens not because of any great technical qualities but just because it is so different that I think it almost approaches the surreal.

I wish I had taken it at f8 instead of f4

If it were mine I'd pimp the hell out of it - it's a strangely bizarre and appealing shot.

I was expecting to have lots of time to play with post processing while my camera was being serviced but life had other ideas.

What kinds of things would you "pimp"? Are you suggesting I make it even more surreal by stretching the reality quite a bit?

Bob Tullis
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

But you took it with the island included initially - now inquiring minds wants to see it [g]. Was it a good idea at the time? Did you take a portrait orientation as well?

I did not take a portrait version. Here is the original... What do you think about cloning out the island. At the time I thought it would add interest but in post I got the idea to try without it and liked it.

Hmmm.   Well, the island would be easy enough to clone out, but I think your crop is spot on.   Well decided!  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,198Gear list
Like?
Agreed -- go with the crop! A lovely pic

The island adds nothing and with it cloned out, you just have empty sky and sea and lose the terrific impact of the bridge's receding lines.

Lack of pixels? Phooey -- the picture is the thing!

Cheers, geoff

Bob Tullis wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Hmmm. Well, the island would be easy enough to clone out, but I think your crop is spot on. Well decided!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,517
Like?

yyr wrote:

Florida, I like the chickens not because of any great technical qualities but just because it is so different that I think it almost approaches the surreal.

I wish I had taken it at f8 instead of f4

If it were mine I'd pimp the hell out of it - it's a strangely bizarre and appealing shot.

I was expecting to have lots of time to play with post processing while my camera was being serviced but life had other ideas.

What kinds of things would you "pimp"? Are you suggesting I make it even more surreal by stretching the reality quite a bit?

Yes - HDR and stronger colours/contrast. Or I might try B&W and selective colourisation of the chickens If I had another photo of the chickens taken at about the same time in the same location I'd see if I could clone in a couple more chickens into this picture.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

What you think of this one as a wall hangar?

I'm still trying to decide which photo to enlarge for my sisters birthday present. I had my family over for a pool party on Memorial Day. I had just completed working my Florida Keys the previous day and I showed them the slide show on my 52" TV.

The photo below is the one that received the most oohs and aahs, although I don't consider the best of the bunch. It does have the advantage of being available at a larger size though since I didn't have to crop it much.

I'm not just asking Bob. I'd appreciate other opinions, as well. Thanks.

Bob Tullis
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

What you think of this one as a wall hangar?

I'm still trying to decide which photo to enlarge for my sisters birthday present. I had my family over for a pool party on Memorial Day. I had just completed working my Florida Keys the previous day and I showed them the slide show on my 52" TV.

The photo below is the one that received the most oohs and aahs, although I don't consider the best of the bunch. It does have the advantage of being available at a larger size though since I didn't have to crop it much.

I'm not just asking Bob. I'd appreciate other opinions, as well. Thanks.

Bob I think would want to crop this to 16:9 or so, to omit much of the boring top 1/2 of the image, and move the horizon off center, drawing more attention to area that has interest.   But you know, that guy can be rather nutty (just between you and me).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads