Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
In reply to MrPhotoBob, 6 months ago

Does this mean there a market for tiny, short range drone missiles? Of course drones will need antiballistic missiles.  Are there any laws concerning drone missiles?  Are you allowed to use them only if the drone is over your private property?  I see a whole new area for marketing new products and of course the legal profession will benefit.  Of course if you disguised your drone missile as a Frisbee or volleyball, no one would know.  Stealth technology.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704
Like?
In reply to dougeryb, 6 months ago

It really does not matter if she is in the right or wrong, she has no right to place her hands on him.  He could have been photographing something that is improper, but that does not give her a right to beat on him.  If I see a woman who is spanking her child and the law says that some corporal punishment of children by parents are illegal, does that mean that I have the right to go and jump on that woman's back and beat her down because I think that what she is doing is wrong?  I do not think so, but the law does give me the right to report it to the authorities.

istreetshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

Her assault is wrong, but there does need to be a discussion on drones at the state level in the various states.

There are plenty of questions here.

What should be our expectation of privacy?

Should pilots of drones taking pictures over a public area file a permit?

Should drone photography of public spaces serve a public good?

Do we want to live in a society that when we look up at the clouds in the sky they are covered by drones?

What are the benefits to society of drone photography?

If someone is flying a drone over their own property, do they have the right to photography onto my private property? You can photograph from sidewalks into private spaces. Is this the same or different?

There are safety and privacy issues at stake here that need to be explored.

MrPhotoBob
Like?
In reply to istreetshooter, 6 months ago

This is done by our government and almost every other government, I think that they are called drones that are used to spy upon you...  But this was on public property, and you should not be doing anything that you shouldn't be doing on public property that you do not wish to have photographed.  He was not on private property, but a kid flying his drone plane on a public beach.  If you are going to limit people using drone planes to take pictures, you may be limiting people from using cameras on public places taking pictures.  What difference is there in a drone plane taking pictures than someone from a high advantage point taking the very same pictures using a very highly powered lens?

istreetshooter
Like?

MrPhotoBob wrote:

This is done by our government and almost every other government, I think that they are called drones that are used to spy upon you... But this was on public property, and you should not be doing anything that you shouldn't be doing on public property that you do not wish to have photographed. He was not on private property, but a kid flying his drone plane on a public beach. If you are going to limit people using drone planes to take pictures, you may be limiting people from using cameras on public places taking pictures. What difference is there in a drone plane taking pictures than someone from a high advantage point taking the very same pictures using a very highly powered lens?

As a citizen of your own country, you have your right to state your own opinion on the use of drones for spying, as well as encourage a legislator to introduce legislation. I'm surprised you are bothered by the government's ability to watch you, but not by those who might actually, say, post YouTube videos that people actually see--unlike spy video.

My points were not about this individual, it was contributing to the laws of the various states. There are, in fact, laws that prohibit various kinds of photography, even in public places, at times. The key point here is the expectation of privacy, regardless of one's own activity. How many of us look up for drones? And as stated, the drones can put cameras where people can't be, or at least easily.

MrPhotoBob
Like?

istreetshooter wrote:

MrPhotoBob wrote:

This is done by our government and almost every other government, I think that they are called drones that are used to spy upon you... But this was on public property, and you should not be doing anything that you shouldn't be doing on public property that you do not wish to have photographed. He was not on private property, but a kid flying his drone plane on a public beach. If you are going to limit people using drone planes to take pictures, you may be limiting people from using cameras on public places taking pictures. What difference is there in a drone plane taking pictures than someone from a high advantage point taking the very same pictures using a very highly powered lens?

As a citizen of your own country, you have your right to state your own opinion on the use of drones for spying, as well as encourage a legislator to introduce legislation. I'm surprised you are bothered by the government's ability to watch you, but not by those who might actually, say, post YouTube videos that people actually see--unlike spy video.

My points were not about this individual, it was contributing to the laws of the various states. There are, in fact, laws that prohibit various kinds of photography, even in public places, at times. The key point here is the expectation of privacy, regardless of one's own activity. How many of us look up for drones? And as stated, the drones can put cameras where people can't be, or at least easily.

To be honest, I am not bothered about someone taking a photograph of me and putting it on YouTube, there is really nothing that I would be ashamed of that I would be doing....  My point is that the lady had no right to place her hands on the guy no matter what he was doing since he was not endangering the life of someone, our government hires people to take care of those type of situations.

letx
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?

MrPhotoBob wrote:

istreetshooter wrote:

MrPhotoBob wrote:

To be honest, I am not bothered about someone taking a photograph of me and putting it on YouTube, there is really nothing that I would be ashamed of that I would be doing.... My point is that the lady had no right to place her hands on the guy no matter what he was doing since he was not endangering the life of someone, our government hires people to take care of those type of situations.

If you watch the video closely you will see the kid has had some battles in his life before this one. The other part of it too is that he doesn't react to being called a pervert by her, its the furthest thing from his mind and so he has no reply.

Most of the forum sites have restricted or deleted the content of discussion, among them grown men gloating over her mistake and posting her personal details on-line. Facebook has secured her account as well and the message she had for everyone has also been removed, was a four letter two word kind of correspondence.

She has come off a poor second and all of her own doing. You would think her age group would be more aware of the internet, clearly its not. That kid is a fast thinker though, good on him.

tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,327Gear list
Like?
Thread about this in "Open Talk" maxed out. Interesting things shook out...

Beyond the usual uncritical thinking, there was food for thought, on topic:

• General non-understanding/lack of knowledge about drones (there were things I didn't know.  Some drone users joined in with some useful info) and drone photography.
  • General lack of knowledge about FAA rules

Moving into more philosophical areas, and more OT:

• Considerations of photography in public, legalities thereof
  • As above, propriety of

And quite interesting to me was the OT subject of photographing women in public places in particular.  I was very interested in the fault lines that developed in this last and the 2 philosophical bullet points above.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Rokinon T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +15 more
istreetshooter
Like?

MrPhotoBob wrote:

istreetshooter wrote:

MrPhotoBob wrote:

To be honest, I am not bothered about someone taking a photograph of me and putting it on YouTube, there is really nothing that I would be ashamed of that I would be doing.... My point is that the lady had no right to place her hands on the guy no matter what he was doing since he was not endangering the life of someone, our government hires people to take care of those type of situations.

I'm not supporting her actions, and never did. I've been assaulted before while working as a newspaper staff photographer, and the police cared more than my own editor! So I don't take that lightly.

My point is not that you, I or someone is doing something wrong, it is the expectation of privacy (think of it as being left alone), which is one of the major aspects of photography and the law. This is something taught in media law and photojournalism classes. Expectation of privacy is something that exists in private and sometimes even in public spaces.

I'm not trying create any bad feelings here, Bob, but photographers need to be part of the discussion. The National Press Photographers Association does a good job advocating for photojournalists on bills, laws and situations.

RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?

She'll lose the case.  While some of these neurotics think they are protecting some kind of privacy that obviously does not exist on a public beach, they are eroding everyone else's freedom.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Combat By Design
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Re: Paranoia Should NEVER Be Respected, and Times Should Be FORCED to Not Change
In reply to larrytusaz, 6 months ago

I was in Savannah GA in February, and my wife stopped to pet a horse...a tiny (and I mean TINY) little girl came running up, and was petting these HUGE horses. Her mother was standing right behind me, I took a picture, took a business card out of my pocket, and handed it to her.

Now...the business card said "Graphic Design and Illustration" not "Photographer" but still:
No issues, No concern, No complaints.

Sometimes it's as simple as legitimizing yourself, other times it's just as simple as someone not being a paranoid clown.

Combat By Design's gear list:Combat By Design's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to letx, 6 months ago

letx wrote:

dougeryb wrote:

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

This is absurd, you need to read what you said and then watch the video of her as she she calls him a pervert. Do you understand you have done exactly the same. What if? What if? How on earth do you even justify thinking like this.

What-ifs always lead to neutral decisions.
the lady is in the wrong 100%

Canon EOS 650D Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +3 more
Combat By Design
Like?
In reply to letx, 6 months ago

I know this is the internet but do you really think thats an excuse for mis-information. You have all this access and could have found his flight video in seconds like I did then you would never have made up the fiction about change rooms without a roof.

He looks like a pretty decent 17yo to me but in this world everyone is a pervert.

**CORRECTION**
Everyone in the United States is a "Pervert" thanks to media frenzy and spitfire reporting.
And yes... I'm American.

Combat By Design
Like?

istreetshooter wrote:

Her assault is wrong, but there does need to be a discussion on drones at the state level in the various states.

There are plenty of questions here.

What should be our expectation of privacy?

You're in an open public space same as if you were on a sidewalk: NONE

Should pilots of drones taking pictures over a public area file a permit?

NO, just like I don't need a permit to take photographs from the public sidewalk unless I'm at a private/sponsored event...and even then... most of the time I don't need permission.

Should drone photography of public spaces serve a public good?

What? Are you reading what you're typing?

Do we want to live in a society that when we look up at the clouds in the sky they are covered by drones?

Because the clouds are COVERED by remote control helicopters/airplanes, right?

What are the benefits to society of drone photography?

Advertising of parks and gathering places, and mapping to start....

If someone is flying a drone over their own property, do they have the right to photography onto my private property? You can photograph from sidewalks into private spaces. Is this the same or different?

I don't think you understand expectation of privacy... If I'm in my house, or even my fenced in back yard, I have an expectation of privacy. If I'm in open view of the public eye (ANYONE passing by) I have none... a flying apparatus of ANY kind is clearly not standard open view of the public eye.

There are safety and privacy issues at stake here that need to be explored.

Most of which you seemed to have pulled out somewhere i don't want to mention.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads