panaleica 25mm f1.4 asph focus problem

Started 4 months ago | Questions
jbas78
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
panaleica 25mm f1.4 asph focus problem
4 months ago

Does anyone have experience focus problem in using e30 with panaleica 25mm f1.4 asph?

I used it for around two weeks and can't resolve the front focus even I adjusted the auto focus to +4 and sometimes the object is not correctly focus.

When I shoot an object with distance more than 5 meters, the result is back focus.

I really need some advice to handle the lens.

thanks in advance.

jbas78's gear list:jbas78's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280Gear list
Like?
Re: panaleica 25mm f1.4 asph focus problem
In reply to jbas78, 4 months ago

I bought a Panaleica last year and ended up returning it as I couldn't get it to focus accurately on an E-30 or an E-5.

This is the thread I started on it at the time. There's lots of discussion of the issue there.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51553776

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gandalfII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390
Like?
Re: panaleica 25mm f1.4 asph focus problem

That lens is best used with contrast AF which on a DSLR means live view.  I'd be interested to hear how it does on an EM1.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,667
Like?
I had trouble with it on the E3

OOF shots, not necessarily always front or always back focus, but definitely was off focus.

After some trial and error, I found that the PL25 was locking onto things I couldn't see, like a stray strand of hair. The shallow DOF tends to magnify focus errors.

Solution was to set the E3 AF to center point only, focus target small. That eliminated, for the most part, the focus errors.

Haven't really had any issues with the PL25 on the EM1 - AF's quickly, and accurately. The PL25 also AF'd quite nicely on the EM5 as well.

jbas78
Like?
Re: @mario
In reply to mariomirabile, 4 months ago

thanks for the link but I will not give up on the lens for now.

Olympus E-410 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
jbas78
Like?
Re: @gandalf
In reply to gandalfII, 4 months ago

I know but I used OVF most of the time. thanks anyway.

jbas78
Like?
Re: I had trouble with it on the E3
In reply to TrapperJohn, 4 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

OOF shots, not necessarily always front or always back focus, but definitely was off focus.

After some trial and error, I found that the PL25 was locking onto things I couldn't see, like a stray strand of hair. The shallow DOF tends to magnify focus errors.

Solution was to set the E3 AF to center point only, focus target small. That eliminated, for the most part, the focus errors.

Haven't really had any issues with the PL25 on the EM1 - AF's quickly, and accurately. The PL25 also AF'd quite nicely on the EM5 as well

I tried that just the way you advised but none of that worked. the panaleica will focus tack sharp when I add a fill in flash when using my e-30. if anyone have another method, please let me know.

thanks in advance

digidownunder
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Re: I had trouble with it on the E3

jbas78 wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

Haven't really had any issues with the PL25 on the EM1 - AF's quickly, and accurately. The PL25 also AF'd quite nicely on the EM5 as well

I tried that just the way you advised but none of that worked. the panaleica will focus tack sharp when I add a fill in flash when using my e-30. if anyone have another method, please let me know.

thanks in advance

I switch do Diamond pattern in low light with the E5& the 25mm Panny & this does help a lot but I agree the 25mm 1.4 is the most unreliable of all my four thirds lenses.It does work much more reliably on the Panasonic L1 though.Still love it despite the frustrations in certain conditions.

jbas78
Like?
Re: digidownunder
In reply to digidownunder, 4 months ago

digidownunder wrote:

jbas78 wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

thanks in advance

I switch do Diamond pattern in low light with the E5& the 25mm Panny & this does help a lot but I agree the 25mm 1.4 is the most unreliable of all my four thirds lenses.It does work much more reliably on the Panasonic L1 though.Still love it despite the frustrations in certain conditions.

What is "Diamond pattern"? Does the feature exist in e-30?

have you sent the lens to panasonic to recalibrate it? and is it possible to do that?

thanks

jbas78
Like?
Re: @digidownunder
In reply to digidownunder, 4 months ago

Hi, You're absolutely right. in e-30 the "Diamond Pattern" thing is called a Dynamic single target AF focus mode.

and for everyone contribute to this forum, please give it a try.

thank you very much

digidownunder
Regular MemberPosts: 293Gear list
Like?
Re: @digidownunder

Your welcome,I didnt send the lens to Panny for calibration,They just work correctly without tweaking on the old 3 point focusing system on the E1 & Panny L1.Hardest thing is to remember to switch to diamond pattern on the later models in Low light.I have many slightly out of focus shots when I forget to do this,cheers.

jbas78
Like?
Re: @ TrapperJohn

John, thanks anyway.

jbas78 wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

thanks in advance

jbas78
Like?
Re: still need another method

jbas78 wrote:

Hi, You're absolutely right. in e-30 the "Diamond Pattern" thing is called a Dynamic single target AF focus mode.

and for everyone contribute to this forum, please give it a try.

thank you very much

from my short experienced using diamond pattern, in low light the camera using the other 4 AF point (assist point) to achieve focus and not from the center AF point so it is not the best way to use it .

if anyone have experienced using single target AF mode, please let me know.

thanks in advance

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads