Moving from Nikon DSLR to Sony a6000 - user control

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Moto1d
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Moving from Nikon DSLR to Sony a6000 - user control
2 months ago

I had my first play with the a6000 today and after using a dslr (D7000) for a few year I found it hard to accept the fact the majority of the settings are accessed via the screen. No small LCD, no ISO buttons etc etc.

Any else find it difficult to make the move to Sony but happy with their decision to do so?

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rudi Maes
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: Moving from Nikon DSLR to Sony a6000 - user control
In reply to Moto1d, 2 months ago

I bought the A6000 after selling my Nikon D5100. It's still recent but up till now I have no real complaints of the A6000.(I like it very much)

Rudi

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,204Gear list
Like?

Moto1d wrote:

I had my first play with the a6000 today and after using a dslr (D7000) for a few year I found it hard to accept the fact the majority of the settings are accessed via the screen. No small LCD, no ISO buttons etc etc.

There is no top LCD, but essentially the main LCD functions the same - the settings are displayed there, but the changes are made with direct buttons for the most part.

There is an ISO button - it's by default set to the right click of the 4-way pad...it is also a customizable control, so it can be placed on any of the 8 different button locations on the camera.

The camera itself is highly customizable, so you have 8 different buttons on the body where you can assign the controls you desire - most key photographic controls can be or are placed on these buttons - drive mode, ISO, WB, EV, etc.

There is also an Fn menu - it's a smaller submenu where up to 12 regularly accessed controls can be placed, making it fairly easy to access them without diving into the main menu.

Once you get all your custom buttons set up, and start using the Fn button loaded with all necessary controls you'll need, you should be much more comfortable with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Moto1d
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, 2 months ago

Thanks for the replies gents.

On a side note,

I dont think Triggertrap makes the cable control yet do they? Is it possible to control the sony via an android or iphone for star trails?

I didnt check the actual camera but one forum stated it had no Bulb mode,  this would seem a bit odd. Is this correct? Maybe I will look for an online manual.

A good point is that even though the battery life is short (400 shots) you can charge the battery via a usb direct connection.

As I pointed out in a previos rwply to another thread I was supprised the Ziess 12mm lens was not as sharp as the 16-50mm at 16mm. this was based only on test shots in the shop store. Nor was the lens much wider than the 16mm. im sure the lens has qualities that I didnt have time to notice but based on initial impressions i think I would be going straight for the 10-18 sony lens for my landscape work.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,204Gear list
Like?

Moto1d wrote:

Thanks for the replies gents.

On a side note,

I dont think Triggertrap makes the cable control yet do they? Is it possible to control the sony via an android or iphone for star trails?

I know there's a star trail app available from Sony, but I don't have it nor have I used it, so I'm not sure how it works.  As for control, there is Android remote control available in the apps store (free to download) and it works fairly well - and there's a time-lapse app too.  Not sure how the controls are with android phones and specialized shooting - I've only used it for basic tripod exposures.

I didnt check the actual camera but one forum stated it had no Bulb mode, this would seem a bit odd. Is this correct? Maybe I will look for an online manual.

There is a Bulb mode.

There is an online manual available which is fortunately much more extensive than the one that Sony provides with the camera - it's still not perfect, but at least covers all of the camera's functions!  Check the e-mount forum for a link to it - I've seen it posted/linked before.

A good point is that even though the battery life is short (400 shots) you can charge the battery via a usb direct connection.

Indeed - either via USB, or purchase the external charger.  Anyone with a previous NEX model can also use their older external charger (I use the one from my NEX-5N - I can charge batteries on the external side while also charging one internally via USB/wall charger...nice to be able to charge two simultaneously.

As I pointed out in a previos rwply to another thread I was supprised the Ziess 12mm lens was not as sharp as the 16-50mm at 16mm. this was based only on test shots in the shop store. Nor was the lens much wider than the 16mm. im sure the lens has qualities that I didnt have time to notice but based on initial impressions i think I would be going straight for the 10-18 sony lens for my landscape work.

Not sure on how the wide primes compare, but compared to the kit zoom, I think you'd get a lot of enjoyment out of the 10-18mm OSS - it's a very good lens, one of the better UWAs I've played with, and lovely for landscape/architecture work.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?

usually the most frustrating part is setting your focus point with a little camera. something that needs to be instantly accessible and for some reason on non dslrs is usually not. but i have never tried an a6000

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,242Gear list
Like?

Moto1d wrote:

Any else find it difficult to make the move to Sony but happy with their decision to do so?

I moved to an A7 and there are things I still like better about the Nikon interface (D600). However, on the balance, the A7 is much more convenient. A lot of the things I liked about the D600 aren't even necessary anymore.

ambercool
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

Just customize the buttons and your quick menu.  Once you do that everything should work like a charm.  My preference for menu systems is Olympus and Sony.

-- hide signature --

-Viet
http://www.ambercool.com
"Luck comes to those who do"

ambercool's gear list:ambercool's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Olympus E-5 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads