Sony a7 Long-Term Resale

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
woodsjo3
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Sony a7 Long-Term Resale
5 months ago

Hi Y'all -

I want a Sony a7, I've been reading all of the reviews and I have the full frame itch.  I currently have the Sony a6000, the SEL35F15, and the SEL55210.  I really want to sell my gear to get the a6000.  I found a deal for the a7 with the SEL55F18z for $2000.  Should I get it now or wait? I know the a7 price is falling and quick...  I know there will soon be an a7 with the a6000 autofocus system.  Do you think I will find a deal like this later when this is released? Well let me rephrase, is this the best time for me to sell and buy? The a6000 is probably at its highest resale value and the a7 is somewhere in the middle... Any thoughts?!?!

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ktc9
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a7 Long-Term Resale
In reply to woodsjo3, 5 months ago

The only cameras nowadays with any sort of "resale value retention" are film-based :-D.

All humor aside, the digital world is moving so fast that nothing will have much resale value. All you can do is buy when the utility is most appropriate for you. I just sold my Canon 1D2 SLR for $300 the other week... and I bought it for $4500.

ktc9's gear list:ktc9's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myscrnnm
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

Looking at this from the point of view of the a6000's resell value, I would say this is the prime time to offload and get the a7 if you want to make the transition. Frankly, like ktc9 said, the only cameras that really hold their value these days are film cameras (and good ones at that, eg. Leica M6, Canon EOS-1v). If you're getting a digital camera, you can expect to take a heavy loss by the time you want to upgrade. That being said, the a7 is very cheap for what it is (compact full-frame weather-sealed interchangeable lens camera). The fact that very few other cameras on the market, certainly from Sony's competitors, offer this sort of value proposition will keep the a7's value up for the foreseeable future. I imagine the a6000's value will drop much more quickly given that Sony is focusing more on full-frame (not to say that they'll drop support and development for APS-C), and also because many photographers are holding out for a true NEX-7 replacement/full-frame "NEX".

myscrnnm's gear list:myscrnnm's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX1 Canon EOS 30D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
kjmantis
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

I was in a similar boat where I had the NEX7 with around 6 lenses. After 2 years I was itching for an upgrade and was ready to buy the a6000.

But then an opportunity came up (like you) to get the a7r for a fantastic price. Yes it was more money. Yes I would have to upgrade all my lenses to full frame. Yes my wife would kill me. But I did it anyway and am so happy I did.

The IQ upgrade to full frame and Zeiss glass is amazing and I still have a lot of fun "pixel peeping" just because I can. This combo has challenged me to improve my skills to meet the needs of this setup and I'm humbled by how much more I have to learn.

A big difference in our situations are that I'm actually thinking "short" term rather than long. That is, I'm looking to resell the body after an a7r mk2 is released. Yes I will lose some value. But I see the "loss" more of a differential and "hire" cost of the setup. It's as if I "rented" the body this whole time. And after running some numbers compared to actually renting the body from a company, I would have to lose a lot of value on resale to be the same.

I think the biggest thing for me was the fact that I'm now a hobby photographer and I will always have a decent camera setup in my possession because I take this hobby somewhat seriously rather than a phase. The fact that you take the time to read and post to these forums shows that you probably are too.

Obviously, there's always great deals out there, but don't force yourself if you are not financially able and will need to borrow money with high interest just to grab this bargain. Especially if you don't expect to make any money from your photos.

So my opinion would be that of you are financially able to capitalise on this bargain (and if the setup is new with local warranty, I think it is), then pull the trigger and get it. You won't regret it and you'll be a better photographer for it.

These are just my thoughts and a sharing of my experiences, and I hope that it has been helpful and relevant to you. I thank you for taking the time to read my post and wish you luck on your journey!

kjmantis's gear list:kjmantis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
blink667
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to kjmantis, 5 months ago

I'm also interested in the A7 body and have been checking prices on ebay; right now you can get it for about $1300 new, and by the end of October when the manufacturers exhibit their new cameras, you'll probably find it used for around $1100.  I don't think that's really a reflection on the quality of the camera- I'm not convinced Sony's resale value holds up as well as either Canon or Nikon.

The Nikon D600 which I consider its closest competitor is still around $1500 used, probably because the body can take virtually every Nikon lens manufactured.  Unfortunate that Sony never did bring out enough lenses for the A7 which I think hurt sales.

When I spoke with a salesperson at B&H he told me they had a warehouse full of the A7s.  Of course you can use Nikon lenses on the A7 with a converter, but except for the size and weight issue in the A7s favor, the D600 is a slightly better and more versatile camera within the Nikon system.

woodsjo3
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to blink667, 5 months ago

Do you think the body will be less than $1000 by the end of the year new? What about the FE55z lens?

blink667
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

If Sony comes out with an updated version in October, and it can do a few things well that the A7 could not, it's very possible the A7 could fall to about $1000 or less by December.  As I said, it's definitely quality with a few quirks, and I think it's generally a raw shooters camera.  What it does have going for it is great custom-ability, pretty good image quality at high iso, and good tools for manual focus, so at $1000 or less it would be a steal.

clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
In reply to blink667, 5 months ago

blink667 wrote:

If Sony comes out with an updated version in October, and it can do a few things well that the A7 could not, it's very possible the A7 could fall to about $1000 or less by December. As I said, it's definitely quality with a few quirks, and I think it's generally a raw shooters camera. What it does have going for it is great custom-ability, pretty good image quality at high iso, and good tools for manual focus, so at $1000 or less it would be a steal.

if it go under 1000, i'll hop on the ban wagon, I own an A900, and I refuse to buy another crop camera, the images they produce is much easier to work with, for noobs like myself, that's a much easier choice to make (for pros they can make anything look good, the only reason they go for FF is because they have money haha).

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony SLT-A37 +8 more
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 320Gear list
Like?

The biggest loss comes from being an early adopter, but then again only you can determine whether the loss is worth it to you to get to use the camera for the weeks/months before it drops in price.  I could see prices holding steady for at least a few months, the rapid drop in the a7(r) has to do a lot with the alternate ways they were going for much cheaper than MSRP (Sony stores closing, employee discounts, Sony credit card rewards, etc).

If you buy it used then you're already getting a better deal price wise than the guy who bought it new.  Most equipment you buy it new and you're lucky to get 85% of the price you paid if you try to sell it used,  no matter how mint condition it's in.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
myscrnnm
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

woodsjo3 wrote:

Do you think the body will be less than $1000 by the end of the year new? What about the FE55z lens?

I'm doubtful that the a7 would reach $1,000 by the end of this year, although it may get close to $1,200. As for the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8, I don't anticipate that changing in price significantly for many years to come. Lens prices in general tend to stay fairly constant for all manufacturers, especially high end models like the 1,8/55; exceptions being when Canon releases II versions of its lenses.

myscrnnm's gear list:myscrnnm's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX1 Canon EOS 30D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?
In reply to myscrnnm, 5 months ago

I would wait for the current a6000 sales to end.  I think right now you can get the body for $500 and the 55210 for not much more.  Let those sales pass and then in a month or so see where everything is at.

I think you are close to a good time, but not there yet.  The 55z is also really desireable now.  Let a few more of those get into circulation, bring the demand down a little.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,829
Like?
A different point of view...

You tell that you own an A6000, that camera is less then 4 month old and you want to sell it for a A7? I think you should take a deep breath and think it all over again.

Just a few facts about the cameras and lenses: both are great cameras, capable of taking stunning pictures in the right hands, so you can't go wrong with one of them. Bpth have their own strong (small size, very fast AF for the A6000 and FF sensor and better lowlight for the A7)  aand weak points (less controls for the A6000 and expensive lenses for the A7)

Now sit down and think: Why do I want the A7?

Are you unhappy with the A6000? And is so why? Will the A7 realy solve this?

Are you just wanting the newest toy? What if the A7m2 comes to the market, with faster AF ans some great features and even better low light, do you want that camera then? If so your shopping behaviour will cost you a lot of money!

Myadvice for now is:stick with you A6000 and from now on only buy FE lenses for it. In that way you can save money for when the next generation A7 comes out. Then you can buy that camera, use your new FE lenses and take great pictures or you can decide t buy the old A7 for cheap compensating for the lower price you may get for the A6000 and maybe, just maybe your GAS is over and you find out that the A6000 is good enough for you and you save yourself a lot of money....

But when you realy want to buy the new camera, don't think about the losses you will make, now or in the future, just buy it and forget what some old crazy guy told you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads