Picked up the E-Mount touit 12mm and 32mm lens combo today, but act fast if you want it.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
DanTravel
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Picked up the E-Mount touit 12mm and 32mm lens combo today, but act fast if you want it.
4 months ago

I picked up the touit 12 and 32 mm combo deal today.  I was lucky as the store had only one set available, and was not likely getting any more in stock.

The deal that was originally set to expire at Aug 31, 2014 is now expiring on June 15, 2014.  I verified from 2 independent camera sources.  It may be difficult to secure as they are on back order everywhere, but try now if you really want the combo!

Northoceanbeach
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up the E-Mount touit 12mm and 32mm lens combo today, but act fast if you want it.
In reply to DanTravel, 4 months ago

Maybe true, but they are still in stock at BH.  I wouldnt be surprised if you are right that they moved the sale ending date forward though.  Psychologically I thing they will sell more if people feel like they have to get it now, and don't have time to think about it for months.

Northoceanbeach's gear list:Northoceanbeach's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Picked up the E-Mount touit 12mm and 32mm lens combo today, but act fast if you want it.

DanTravel wrote:

The deal that was originally set to expire at Aug 31, 2014 is now expiring on June 15, 2014. I verified from 2 independent camera sources

A really stupid marketing move if true: nobody will buy the lenses now at RRP they know that they are really worth $460 each!

This will also have totally killed sales in Europe with the pricing we have to put up with

At least that is the case for me... I was looking to see if I could find the money somewhere, but if I can it won't be but 15 June. After that there would be no way I would pay 'full price' for one of these lenses

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

DanTravel
Like?
In reply to Northoceanbeach, 4 months ago

Northoceanbeach wrote:

Maybe true, but they are still in stock at BH. I wouldnt be surprised if you are right that they moved the sale ending date forward though. Psychologically I thing they will sell more if people feel like they have to get it now, and don't have time to think about it for months.

For me, I thought - I've got all summer to think about it.  Then today, I decided to buy. This was without knowing that the deal was ending June 15.  I'm glad I decided today.

This is at least true for Canada as verified by two sources.  Hopefully, if someone is on the verge of buying they can at least know to hurry up and make a decision :).

I for one, am very happy with my purchase so far

Northoceanbeach
Like?

The camera store in the US that I am getting mine from saod the sale ends July 1.  However that was several days ago they told me that.  could have changed.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon 1 J1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,269Gear list
Like?
Henry's deal is off

Henry's is no longer showing the bundled price. The sale price is still on but "usually shipping in 7-14 days". That didn't last long. Mine shipped today.

Adorama is out of stock but still taking orders..

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,147Gear list
Like?
Re: Brilliant Marketing!! ...
In reply to parallaxproblem, 4 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

The deal that was originally set to expire at Aug 31, 2014 is now expiring on June 15, 2014. I verified from 2 independent camera sources

A really stupid marketing move if true: nobody will buy the lenses now at RRP they know that they are really worth $460 each!

This will also have totally killed sales in Europe with the pricing we have to put up with

At least that is the case for me... I was looking to see if I could find the money somewhere, but if I can it won't be but 15 June. After that there would be no way I would pay 'full price' for one of these lenses

We all suckered up and bought the two Touit lenses for about $450 each.

Great campaign, Zeiss! You most likely sold out of inventory... !!

Next time they will just plan for this: overprice the lens - get good reviews - then drop price in half on a bundle, and everyone will jump on the deal.

Heck, didn't they just do this for the E1670Z as well?

I think we are all being played

The only solace is that these are probably end-of-life sales. The replacement product will be .. expensive again...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 4 months ago

Next time they will just plan for this: overprice the lens - get good reviews - then drop price in half on a bundle, and everyone will jump on the deal.

The only solace is that these are probably end-of-life sales. The replacement product will be .. expensive again...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

This is called marketing and nobody forces anyone to buy the lens(es).

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 4 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

DanTravel wrote:

No we didn't

The non-bundled lenses are still listed as 'in stock' so this is not likely

Maybe, but the longer-term cost to them will be great in terms of damage to their credibility with their customers

When? I guess I must have not been paying attention...

Since when was that news?

It's becoming tiresome, however.  Buying Sony camera gear is almost like playing the stock market (which I don't do): will this product still be relevant in 6 months?

And those with any sort of memory will realise how over-priced those lenses are and look elsewhere

If you want any 'solace' then it is probably that these lenses will become valueless if we see Sony moving away from APS-C sensors in the mid-range E-mount bodies in September

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Zenvor
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?

does those two lens support PDAF of A6000?

My sigma 19mm F2.8 can support AF-C PDAF in the middle of the screen only. I can tell because it doesnt hunt like the AF-S mode and the little green box show up in the middle.

Can someone confirm of either or both od those lens can support PDAF in AF-C on the A6000?

At least partially support is fine. if yes I will pull the trigger. thx

Zenvor's gear list:Zenvor's gear list
Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +1 more
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,269Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zenvor, 4 months ago

Zenvor wrote:

No, but they're working on it. From the Community Comments section, Zeiss Canada site:

Hi! Any plans for a firmware update on e-mount Touit lenses to support Sony's Hybrid AF system? Thank you very much · June 1 at 11:21am

• Carl Zeiss LensesDear Andre!
    We have decided to integrate the function of the fast hybrid autofocus function of SONY system cameras into our Touit lenses also. Following the integration and test of the function, we will provide a notification on the possibility of the upgrade via the usual channels.
    Best regards
    your ZEISS Lenses Team · June 1 at 11:58pm

http://www.zeiss.ca/camera-lenses/en_ca/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

The Terms & Conditions page says the sale ends June 15. Did the August 1 date come from Zeiss, or from a retailer?

Country Promotion period Discount Touit 2.8/12 Discount Touit 1.8/32 Discount Set (Touit 2.8/12 & Touit 1.8/32)

Canada 06/01 – 06/15/2014 200 USD 200 USD 800 USD

USA 06/01 – 06/15/2014 200 USD 200 USD 800 USD

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
DanTravel
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 4 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

Zenvor wrote:

No, but they're working on it. From the Community Comments section, Zeiss Canada site:

Hi! Any plans for a firmware update on e-mount Touit lenses to support Sony's Hybrid AF system? Thank you very much · June 1 at 11:21am

• Carl Zeiss LensesDear Andre!
    We have decided to integrate the function of the fast hybrid autofocus function of SONY system cameras into our Touit lenses also. Following the integration and test of the function, we will provide a notification on the possibility of the upgrade via the usual channels.
    Best regards
    your ZEISS Lenses Team · June 1 at 11:58pm

http://www.zeiss.ca/camera-lenses/en_ca/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

The Terms & Conditions page says the sale ends June 15. Did the August 1 date come from Zeiss, or from a retailer?

Country Promotion period Discount Touit 2.8/12 Discount Touit 1.8/32 Discount Set (Touit 2.8/12 & Touit 1.8/32)

Canada 06/01 – 06/15/2014 200 USD 200 USD 800 USD

USA 06/01 – 06/15/2014 200 USD 200 USD 800 USD

-- hide signature --

Dan

Aug 31 came from Zeiss and the retailers.  Up until a few days ago, Zeiss website stated Aug 31 too, if I am not mistaken.

Northoceanbeach
Like?

Must have had higher demand than anticipated.  A sale until late august is pretty lame anyways.  That's more like just dropping the price permanently.  I think ebay so about to be flooded with touits.

jemez
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
In reply to Northoceanbeach, 4 months ago

Can someone talk 12mm to me? This is 18mm in 35mm speak, which is much wider than I've ever shot with. I'm trying to understand how useful that is in everyday shooting.

Northoceanbeach
Like?
In reply to jemez, 4 months ago

Wow, look how many are on ebay.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,184
Like?

jemez wrote:

Can someone talk 12mm to me? This is 18mm in 35mm speak, which is much wider than I've ever shot with. I'm trying to understand how useful that is in everyday shooting.

Depends on your every day. I shoot architecture, not birds, so I'd use it everyday.

areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,408Gear list
Like?

It completely depends on what you shoot and how you shoot it. For me, that focal length is pretty much confined to starscapes and aurora. A lot of that is a lack of skill in my part, but a 12mm has limited use for me.

Most of my landscapes are done between 35mm and 100mm (FF equivalent of 50-150mm). Others live and breathe wide and ultra wide.

-- hide signature --

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/diogenic/">flickr</a>

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads