a6000 new owner, confused and still learning

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
bargainfishing
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
a6000 new owner, confused and still learning
5 months ago

So after I bought my a6000 with the selp1650 lens a few hours ago. I still need a lot to learn so hopefully someone here can tell me the best way to approach things.

Note: Im using kitlens selp1650

1.) How fast does it charge? 310 minutes in the manual or faster? Can you use the camera while connected via usb?

2.) For waterfall photography or slow motion stuff ?

What settings or is the kit enough ?

3.) Should I use raw or jpeg? or raw jpeg ?

4.) What is a better lens that this kit one ? Something not that expensive. I saw some lenses in the sony store and it was around 450 usd the cheapest.

- E mount lenses dont use an adapter right ?

I want a better lens that the kit one in the future , something that can do landscape , portrait or even macro. If it improves the quality like 30 to 50 percent the better.

5.) The sensor, should I clean it from time to time or use the dust shake function? Dude from store told me to use microfiber or cotton lol.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

http://smashmaterials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/cup-of-bokeh-by-groundhog-day.jpg

7.) How do you store the camera, put it in the cloth and inside the camera bag ? Or is it fine leaving it in a table or something. I'm worred about dust affecting the internal components.

bargainfishing's gear list:bargainfishing's gear list
Sony a6000
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,403
Like?
Re: a6000 new owner, confused and still learning
In reply to bargainfishing, 5 months ago

bargainfishing wrote:

So after I bought my a6000 with the selp1650 lens a few hours ago. I still need a lot to learn so hopefully someone here can tell me the best way to approach things.

1.) How fast does it charge? 310 minutes in the manual or faster? Can you use the camera while connected via usb?

I suggest raw+JPG. You may not do anything with the raw files right now, but in a year or two when you have more experience, you will be able to come back to them and turn good shots into masterpieces.

4.) What is a better lens that this kit one ? Something not that expensive. I saw some lenses in the sony store and it was around 450 usd the cheapest.

I want a better lens that the kit one in the future , something that can do landscape , portrait or even macro. If it improves the quality like 30 to 50 percent the better.

You want a better lens in the future, but I suggest you use the camera with just the kit lens for a few weeks. Get to know it well before you start branching out.

5.) The sensor, should I clean it from time to time or use the dust shake function? Dude from store told me to use microfiber or cotton lol.

Don't clean it unless you absolutely have to. Then, use only special sensor cleaning kit. This is seldom necessary.

Usually all you need is a puff from a Rocket Blower. Get one.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

http://smashmaterials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/cup-of-bokeh-by-groundhog-day.jpg

7.) How do you store the camera, put it in the cloth and inside the camera bag ? Or is it fine leaving it in a table or something. I'm worred about dust affecting the internal components.

Dust will only get in if you are careless when changing lenses. Just remember to point the camera downward and it will be OK.

Do put the lens cap on when not shooting. It is fine to leave the camera on the table, unless you have small kids or a pet monkey.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bargainfishing
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 5 months ago

D Cox wrote:

bargainfishing wrote:

I suggest raw+JPG. You may not do anything with the raw files right now, but in a year or two when you have more experience, you will be able to come back to them and turn good shots into masterpieces.

I haven't use lightroom or any photo editing software but I can learn fast. Been designing ( graphic design ) for years now. What's a good free app for mac?

You want a better lens in the future, but I suggest you use the camera with just the kit lens for a few weeks. Get to know it well before you start branching out.

Don't clean it unless you absolutely have to. Then, use only special sensor cleaning kit. This is seldom necessary.

Usually all you need is a puff from a Rocket Blower. Get one.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

Dust will only get in if you are careless when changing lenses. Just remember to point the camera downward and it will be OK.

Do put the lens cap on when not shooting. It is fine to leave the camera on the table, unless you have small kids or a pet monkey.

Sony a6000
rodderslw
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?

bargainfishing wrote:

Feels like it takes for ever! My advice is to get a second battery…even a non sony battery as a back up.

for stills I would use a tripod and use a small aperture i.e f8 - f16 to get the shutter to slow down. Or use shutter priority and play with the shutter speed till you get the effect your after. I recommend one of those small "table top" tripods. I use the ultrapod II but theres lots out there. Easy to put in your bag. Use the countdown timer i the camera or get a cheap remote.

The kit lens can do lots especially in daytime and where you use medium apetures. I like my kit lens. I  tend to use the SEL1650 or the SEL35f18 most of the time.

I use raw only but if you are just starting I recommend raw and jpg setting. U can then compare the difference. If your going to by a CSC camera you might as well use its potential. Get a raw software I use lightroom which has profiles for the A6000 but most are good.

E and FE lenses will fit your A6000 without adapter. A cheap, fast and sharp E mount lens is the SEL50f18 selling for $250-$299 in my country. I find the SEL35f18 a better focal length but it is a bit dearer. Also if you want to same money and get speciallised lenses buy some only manual legacy lenses esp an old macro or "fast 50". Nice bokeh.

Don't touch it till theres stuff on the sensor to worry about.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

Keep it in a camera bag. I bought the crumpler 'mild enthusiast' and use it as my work bag so I always have a camera with me. There are plenty of good messenger type bags that don't look like camera bags and it carries my wallet, phone etc etc…ITS NOT A MAN BAG!  : )

Enjoy your camera! I am a beginner too. You can learn alot on this forum but don't get too caught up in the technical stuff. Better to join a local camera club and concentrate on the craft rather than the gear. At my camera club people don't talk about the gear much at all…they ask how a shot was taken not what camera was used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40158579@N08/

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony a6000 +3 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,874
Like?

bargainfishing wrote:

You can charge your battery and then use the camera even when the battery is not fully loaded. When you take a lot of pictures it is wisse to buy a second battery and an external loader. When you buy a none Sony  prices can be very low for them

The kit lens is good enoug. For getting those fuzzy water movement you need to use longer shutter speeds. You may need a gray filter when you are in the bright sun. A tripod can be a wise extr too (remember to set the OSS of in the menu)

Well this all depends on the kind of pictures you take. When you are just learning your camera and not taking "serious"pictures JPG can be good enough, when you are taking pictures you like to use for large prints etc. then RAW is the best thing, in thos cases I always use RAW and JPEG. Buy an extra (large) memory card to store the pictures...

E-mount lenses don't need an adapter. The best thing you can do is using the kit lens for some time, take a lot of pictures and look what you like best. Do you miss some FL (do you need more tele, or more Wide Angle lenses), or do you need more light all this you learn in a few weeks or months, so try it and look then what lenses are best for you

Better lenses are very nice but often to get a 30% better lens you have to pay 3x the price...

Only clean the sensor when you see strange darker "dots" in the sky (you can try every now and then to close down apperture to f11 or smaller and take a picture of the blue sky or a white wall and look for spots). If spots appear you can try to clean the sensor with a rocket blower, or with special sensor cleaning equiptment, don't use other stuff on the sensor. You can also ask the shop where you got the camera to clean the sensor for you.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

Dust gets in your camera during the use of it. When you change lenses you can hold your camera with the lens down, so dust can't fall in the camera. But when zooming in and out (or activating the pancake 16-50mm zoom lens) dust is sucked in the camera, so there will always come dust in your camera no matter what you do... storing in a camera bag should be good enough, it makes your camera better protected then just leaving it on a table, not oly protected against dust, but als protected against drinks that fall  on the table or the camera can get kicked of the table by accident...

Furious Tide Of Light
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 5 months ago

For charging, I don't use the included charger. Takes ages.

I use my samsung note 2 phone charger.

Furious Tide Of Light's gear list:Furious Tide Of Light's gear list
Nikon D80 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS +4 more
Superglue
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
In reply to Furious Tide Of Light, 5 months ago

You can always find pretty good deals on lenses if you are patient and look around.  I like o gather my spare change each year at christmas I drop in a jar after work each day to put toward a lens or camera things.  Last year I had $400 in change and bought the 35mmSel.

Superglue's gear list:Superglue's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Pentax Q NEX5R Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +16 more
bargainfishing
Like?
In reply to Furious Tide Of Light, 5 months ago

Furious Tide Of Light wrote:

How long does that take to fully charge from 0?

Sony a6000
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?

You need to find some online tutorials and learn about photography. Your questions are equipment centric, and they should be photo centric. Why do I choose f11? Why is my picture blurry? What is the relationship between focal length and shutter speed? How to determine exposure? Stuff like that.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-take-portraits-19-portrait-photography-tutorials/

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/

A local club or class can be a big help. Clubs often have monthly themes, contests and presentations that can be fun and educational. Having other photographers to bounce ideas off is good as well as shooting with a goal in mind. Photography can be a great hobby and sharing in a group setting is a good way to learn. Some clubs are great, some not so much, find one that works for you.

Buy a good bag for carrying the camera. Buy some lens tissue. Use your in camera sensor duster. Buy a lint free cloth for cleaning the camera and lcd. A UV or Sky filter can protect the front element. A lens shade is generally useful. There are other tools like a lens pen, and a rocket blower that are good to have. Read up on sensor care and cleaning.

Have fun!

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Furious Tide Of Light
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?

bargainfishing wrote:

Furious Tide Of Light wrote:

How long does that take to fully charge from 0?

Can't remember since I only drained the battery once. But much, much faster compared to the stupid charger they give you.

Furious Tide Of Light's gear list:Furious Tide Of Light's gear list
Nikon D80 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS +4 more
MeaningOfLife
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?

For charging, you should really get external wall charger. The USB charging just takes too long and is often inconvenient. You can buy third party battery chargers with addititional battery for under $50. I have had good success with Wasabai (look on Amazon). With external wall charger with additional batteries, you can just let it charge (takes several hours) while you use the camera and not worry.

Kit lens is more than good enough for newbies and most casual situations. It's more portable so it provides greater flexibility at the expense of some image quality.

Get a camera bag that is padded and waterproof. Smaller the better but think about what else you will be carrying in it. For instance, are you the type that carries numerous lenses or do you just have one or two? How many extra batteries will you be carrying? Etc.

MeaningOfLife's gear list:MeaningOfLife's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Nokia Lumia 1020
ViRuS X
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

bargainfishing wrote:

So you decided to go for the A6000, first of all congrats on your new toy I hope that you will enjoy playing around with it.

1.) How fast does it charge? 310 minutes in the manual or faster?

I really don't know about how long it will take to charge the battery but it's not that important just keep checking every 30 mins or so if it reaches %100 then it's fully charged, it's OK to leave it for few more minutes don't be too specific in this area.

Can you use the camera while connected via usb?

Didn't think of it, why not give it a try and tell us here.

kit is OK for most types of photography, try searching Youtube for tutorials, you can check this video it's basic and simple all you need is your camera and a tripod (or any type of support to make sure your camera is stable and won't move)

http://youtu.be/xvI68csKlAI

if you are going to edit photos then RAW is better , you can try RAW+JPEG first and see the difference by yourself on PC.
Personally I use mostly RAW because I like editing my photos in Lightroom (photo editing software)

Don't buy lenses now, you need to start taking photos after that you will know what type of lens you need in future.
After few months you will find yourself enjoy shooting a specific focal length let's say at 16mm, then you know that you should start searching for wide angle lenses like 16mm pancake or maybe the 10-18mm F4.
Maybe you want more reach, you want to photograph something very far away then you should look for 18-200mm or 55-210mm, don't worry you will know what you need after you start learning photography basics.

• E mount lenses dont use an adapter right ?

No it doesn't.

If you want a better quality lens then you should go after primes (the ones without zoom feature)
For portraits you can go for Sigma 60mm 2.8 or Sony 50mm 1.8
For landscape Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8
For macro Sony 30mm 3.5 or Zeiss Touit 50mm 2.8 Macro

But as I said before don't bother yourself with the next lens just enjoy shooting and after a while you will know what you really need.. Just keep shooting and learning.

Don't clean it unless there is dust or dirt in sensor, I suggest to go for the store to clean your camera, the sensor is very sensitive.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

Nice shot, try to take the same photo in Aperture priority mode (A on the upper dial), it goes like this :
Turn the dial to A mode
Turn the wheel next to the mode dial and watch the screen (search for the F value and keep it to the lowest value.
Take the shot and watch the difference.
Lets see what you got.

Just keep the lens attached to the camera or cover the sensor area with a cap, don't let the sensor exposed, it's ok to put it anywhere if the sensor is covered by a lens or cap, better to be in a bag for sure but it's ok to put it on table.

Enjoy your camera and try to learn basics (aperture , shutter speed , ISO) then everything will be easy , wish you the best luck.

ViRuS X's gear list:ViRuS X's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony SLT-A99 +7 more
bargainfishing
Like?
In reply to ViRuS X, 5 months ago

ViRuS X wrote:

bargainfishing wrote:

So you decided to go for the A6000, first of all congrats on your new toy I hope that you will enjoy playing around with it.

1.) How fast does it charge? 310 minutes in the manual or faster?

I really don't know about how long it will take to charge the battery but it's not that important just keep checking every 30 mins or so if it reaches %100 then it's fully charged, it's OK to leave it for few more minutes don't be too specific in this area.

Can you use the camera while connected via usb?

Didn't think of it, why not give it a try and tell us here.

kit is OK for most types of photography, try searching Youtube for tutorials, you can check this video it's basic and simple all you need is your camera and a tripod (or any type of support to make sure your camera is stable and won't move)

http://youtu.be/xvI68csKlAI

if you are going to edit photos then RAW is better , you can try RAW+JPEG first and see the difference by yourself on PC.
Personally I use mostly RAW because I like editing my photos in Lightroom (photo editing software)

Don't buy lenses now, you need to start taking photos after that you will know what type of lens you need in future.
After few months you will find yourself enjoy shooting a specific focal length let's say at 16mm, then you know that you should start searching for wide angle lenses like 16mm pancake or maybe the 10-18mm F4.
Maybe you want more reach, you want to photograph something very far away then you should look for 18-200mm or 55-210mm, don't worry you will know what you need after you start learning photography basics.

• E mount lenses dont use an adapter right ?

No it doesn't.

If you want a better quality lens then you should go after primes (the ones without zoom feature)
For portraits you can go for Sigma 60mm 2.8 or Sony 50mm 1.8
For landscape Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8
For macro Sony 30mm 3.5 or Zeiss Touit 50mm 2.8 Macro

But as I said before don't bother yourself with the next lens just enjoy shooting and after a while you will know what you really need.. Just keep shooting and learning.

>>>> The sony e lenses are more expensive than other brands from canon, nikon or sigma right? But the downside is using an adapter for it?

Don't clean it unless there is dust or dirt in sensor, I suggest to go for the store to clean your camera, the sensor is very sensitive.

6.) Bokeh stuff >

I'll give this a try.

Nice shot, try to take the same photo in Aperture priority mode (A on the upper dial), it goes like this :
Turn the dial to A mode
Turn the wheel next to the mode dial and watch the screen (search for the F value and keep it to the lowest value.
Take the shot and watch the difference.
Lets see what you got.

Just keep the lens attached to the camera or cover the sensor area with a cap, don't let the sensor exposed, it's ok to put it anywhere if the sensor is covered by a lens or cap, better to be in a bag for sure but it's ok to put it on table.

Enjoy your camera and try to learn basics (aperture , shutter speed , ISO) then everything will be easy , wish you the best luck.

Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads