Aperture 3.5 not compatible with Yosemite

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Filippo Ventura
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Aperture 3.5 not compatible with Yosemite
3 months ago

Hi.

Just one more information about speculation on the future of Aperture.

The latest version, 3.5, can't run on MacOS X 10.10 Yosemite.

I found it out while testing the new OS on a USB drive where I had, last fall, installed OS X Mavericks before making the final installation on my internal drive. So I had all my software installed on that disk and upgrading to Yosemite I couldn't run Aperture anymore. The icon itself is greyed out and launching it a message popup saying: "You can't use this version of the application "Aperture" with this version of OS X".

So now we have three scenario:

1) A minor update to make it compatible

2) A new major release

3) Aperture is dead

Ww will know in next months.

Bye,

Filippo

Dave Braun
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Re: Aperture 3.5 not compatible with Yosemite
In reply to Filippo Ventura, 3 months ago

Filippo Ventura wrote:

Hi.

I found it out while testing the new OS on a USB drive where I had, last fall, installed OS X Mavericks before making the final installation on my internal drive. So I had all my software installed on that disk and upgrading to Yosemite I couldn't run Aperture anymore. The icon itself is greyed out and launching it a message popup saying: "You can't use this version of the application "Aperture" with this version of OS X"

This means nothing ! Yosemite has not been released yet ! No software will be compatible before release !

2) A new major release

3) Aperture is dead

Bye,

Filippo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Filippo Ventura
Like?
In reply to Dave Braun, 3 months ago

Dave Braun wrote:

This means nothing ! Yosemite has not been released yet ! No software will be compatible before release !

True.

But many softwares run anyway, Aperture and some others don't.

Mustafa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263
Like?

Filippo Ventura wrote:

2) A new major release

3) Aperture is dead

Or 4) Apple will buy Adobe out of its petty cash drawer, and will resolve the 'LR v. Aperture' squabbles overnight.

Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,155Gear list
Like?

Filippo Ventura wrote:

Hi.

I found it out while testing the new OS on a USB drive where I had, last fall, installed OS X Mavericks before making the final installation on my internal drive. So I had all my software installed on that disk and upgrading to Yosemite I couldn't run Aperture anymore. The icon itself is greyed out and launching it a message popup saying: "You can't use this version of the application "Aperture" with this version of OS X".

2) A new major release

3) Aperture is dead

Bye,

Filippo

Im going with 1, although they would really need to overhaul the UI to make it look nice with Yosemite.  Interesting to see what they do.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Chad Hardy
Like?
In reply to Dave Braun, 3 months ago

Dave Braun wrote:

Filippo Ventura wrote:

Hi.

I found it out while testing the new OS on a USB drive where I had, last fall, installed OS X Mavericks before making the final installation on my internal drive. So I had all my software installed on that disk and upgrading to Yosemite I couldn't run Aperture anymore. The icon itself is greyed out and launching it a message popup saying: "You can't use this version of the application "Aperture" with this version of OS X"

2) A new major release

3) Aperture is dead

Bye,

Filippo

The purpose of a beta is to allow all developers to check compatibility with their software.  That is exactly what it is for.  However Apple probably just has some work to do on Aperture.

I see no reason why Apple wouldn't want to allow Aperture to work, unless they already know they are going to need to update it for compatibility.

Walter
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 3 months ago

Anybody use Aperture?

Walter

Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Chad Hardy
Like?
In reply to Walter, 3 months ago

Walter wrote:

Anybody use Aperture?

Walter

With Yosemite or with current OSX variants?

Walter
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

I was thinking any variant... I tried it and was underwhelmed....just curious how many use it and like it.

Walter

Walter's gear list:Walter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?

Walter wrote:

I was thinking any variant... I tried it and was underwhelmed....just curious how many use it and like it.

Walter

I use it and find it superior to LR in most respects (not all).  I believe you need to use it more than try it to appreciate it.  I myself have been using LR and Aperture in parallel for about a year and have been "underwhelmed" consistently by LR.  I actually WANT to like LR more, it's just not happening.

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
Chad Hardy
Like?

Walter wrote:

Walter

Oh I have used it a bunch.  I actually love it for a few things:

1.  Actually quicker to post process images, because browsing and editing is done seamlessly in the same window.  No swapping between Library and develop mode.

2.  You can brush every adjustment into the image.

3.  filters and finding images that have metadata is just easier and quicker.  I understand LR quick collections and the metadata filter bar at the top, but Aperture just does it better.

4.  Better sharing/integration options if you use other Apple devices.

If I had some assurance from Apple they were committed to continual development and not just life support I would use Aperture exclusively.  However it seems to have been all but abandoned.

At this point I have been on LR for the past 8 months and won't change back unless Apple commits.  LR is just fine, and I know Adobe will continue to improve it.

Brewse
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

Filippo Ventura wrote:

Hi.

Runs fine under OS X 10.10 beta on my Retina MacBook Pro.

Brewse's gear list:Brewse's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
ixfinito
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Brewse, 3 months ago

It seems to work ok, but when trying to view newly imported images, it will become distorted or corrupted after loading or sometimes even after a couple of seconds. This is only in appearance, the file is ok if you view it elsewhere. Read somewhere else that it happens when editing or using plugins. Tried repairing and rebuilding database without luck.

In case you are wondering, iMovie and Final Cut Pro and Photo Booth are not available for you to run, yet, but there's a workaround which seems to work fine. All and all, I think this is just all a consequence of being such an early release and will these issues will most likely get fixed as weeks go by.

Filippo Ventura
Like?
In reply to Brewse, 3 months ago

Brewse wrote:

Filippo Ventura wrote:

Hi.

Runs fine under OS X 10.10 beta on my Retina MacBook Pro.

Yep, after reinstall it runs even on may old Mac Book late 2008.

It didn't run after upgrade to Yosemite but, after downloading and installing it through App Sore, it works. I didn't test how it works, but at least it launches.

bye,

Filippo

robgendreau
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?

It depends on your needs, but as an asset manager I find Aperture is harder to use than LR, and I have both. I really wanted to continue using Aperture, but as I got more photos and had to do more management of them (I reference them, BTW) I found myself ignoring Aperture more and more. LR works with your existing folder structure much more easily IMHO. I move photos off my SSD frequently now, and just dragging the folder in LR works fine. With Aperture I have to open a file dialog to "move masters," which is just that little bit annoying such that I stop doing that and started using LR instead. And the structure is just what the folder structure is in the Finder; I don't really see why Apple went with the whole project/album/folder thing; I just don't find it as intuitive as LR.

I liked the search function in Aperture, but I've come to appreciate the interface LR uses. Maybe it's because I have a bigger monitor now; Aperture seems more into floating boxes, which worked when I used a laptop more. Now not so much. And I prefer how LR lets me keyword, since I think it handles hierarchy better.

I think that the changes that will come in Yosemite will be in two main areas, organization of photos over all Apple devices and iCloud (Photostream was NOT that solution), and image editing. People here tend to organize photos far more efficiently than the average Apple user, who is randomly taking shots with iPhones, iPads and cameras constantly, and who is also receiving photos and videos constantly. None of which are "projects" or "shoots" or organized in any way shape or form. I think Apple's goal will be to get that under control, which has got to be something much harder than what LR or Aperture currently does. Both these applications assume someone who already has photos organized much more rationally.

Rob

Chad Hardy wrote:

Walter wrote:

Walter

Oh I have used it a bunch. I actually love it for a few things:

1. Actually quicker to post process images, because browsing and editing is done seamlessly in the same window. No swapping between Library and develop mode.

2. You can brush every adjustment into the image.

3. filters and finding images that have metadata is just easier and quicker. I understand LR quick collections and the metadata filter bar at the top, but Aperture just does it better.

4. Better sharing/integration options if you use other Apple devices.

If I had some assurance from Apple they were committed to continual development and not just life support I would use Aperture exclusively. However it seems to have been all but abandoned.

At this point I have been on LR for the past 8 months and won't change back unless Apple commits. LR is just fine, and I know Adobe will continue to improve it.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,953
Like?
In reply to robgendreau, 3 months ago

robgendreau wrote:

I think that the changes that will come in Yosemite will be in two main areas, organization of photos over all Apple devices and iCloud (Photostream was NOT that solution),

I don't know what started the idea that Photo Stream is for organising photos. Photo Stream has one purpose and one purpose only: automatically transport/spread all images from one device to all other devices.

lumigraphics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,179
Like?

Aperture is dead, although there will be a compatibility update. RIP.

Sonny500
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Filippo Ventura, 2 months ago

This information is incorrect. Please look at this video and read the latest news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibYc0ee7g0

http://www.aperture-presets.com/apple-aperture-on-os-x-10-10-yosemite

Following these updates and since I am an Apple developer, I installed DP3 (OS X 10.10) and Aperture 3.5....I have no issues running my daily routines with Aperture.

DP3 is pretty stable and Apple already announced an update to Aperture to further increase its compatibility to OS X 10.10.

Meer
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to ixfinito, 1 month ago

ixfinito wrote:

It seems to work ok, but when trying to view newly imported images, it will become distorted or corrupted after loading or sometimes even after a couple of seconds. This is only in appearance, the file is ok if you view it elsewhere. Read somewhere else that it happens when editing or using plugins. Tried repairing and rebuilding database without luck.

In case you are wondering, iMovie and Final Cut Pro and Photo Booth are not available for you to run, yet, but there's a workaround which seems to work fine. All and all, I think this is just all a consequence of being such an early release and will these issues will most likely get fixed as weeks go by.

The bug of garbled images has been resolved, apparently not by modifying Aperture but by some fixes in Yosemite (developer preview 4). However there is another bug  - if you zoom in (either by the z key or by command-shift-=) the imagewindow turn medium grey. This doesn't happen if you load the same library in iPhoto. It also doesn't happen if you switch on quick previews.

Calxoddity
Regular MemberPosts: 370
Like?
In reply to Meer, 1 month ago

Meer wrote:

ixfinito wrote:

The bug of garbled images has been resolved, apparently not by modifying Aperture but by some fixes in Yosemite (developer preview 4). However there is another bug - if you zoom in (either by the z key or by command-shift-=) the imagewindow turn medium grey. This doesn't happen if you load the same library in iPhoto. It also doesn't happen if you switch on quick previews.

When I downloaded the public beta of Yosemite, Aperture also downloaded an update.  It's version 3.5.1 45109900000000.1

I did the zooming as described above and it all worked as per normal, so might have been fixed or is machine-specific.

-- hide signature --

Calxoddity
'Turning up in the oddest places...'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads