Medium Format.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
A problem with Japan-centricity
In reply to Meuh, 6 months ago

Meuh wrote:

I had asked to try a 645d a while ago and was told I would be contacted with someone to arange it (it would come with a pentax rep due to the cost apparently), no contact was ever made so I asked again and was told they would get someone to contact me but again nothing.
So it seems they can offer such a thing but don't actually follow through.

I would argue that demand for Pentax cameras is much larger than supply, and with Ricoh taking "care" of supply channels and production, it seems to me they really don't want to break much sweat on any extra work above the very conservative projected numbers. They think Japan first, then everything else.

Thus they deliberately undersupply the world market (the GR is the typical case of their strategy), produce cameras in very limited batches and deliver there where they know it will sell best without any extra effort.

Because of that, retailers never really know when the next batch will arrive, whether they'll get a new batch despite demand, whether there is enough demo units, etc. Mind you, only after almost 3 years of Ricoh's ownership of Pentax, their US division (RIAC) officially introduced 645 lenses! Because they thought (!) there will be no demand for the 645 in the Americas.

How bizarre! They have an excuse that is beyond belief, but I call that lack of any marketing awareness whatsoever.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abijake
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Medium Format.
In reply to viking79, 6 months ago

I bought a Pentax 645D 18 months ago and now have 8 Pentax 645 and 67 legacy lenses. Many of these lenses were very inexpensive to buy. I ran this system in parallel with a Sony a850 camera which I still rate despite its rather dated sensor. The difference in IQ between the Sony and the MF camera was eventually enough to force me to sell my 35mm Sony as the Pentax stood head and shoulders in so many ways above the Sony.  But if my ONLY criterion was sharpness then I may not have sold the FF.

The 645Z is intriguing as it fills all the holes of the 645D (no live view, no video, slow sensor primarily) . This is of course been possible by changing from CCD sensor technology to CMOS.

For myself as a landscape photographer I am more than happy with the lower speed CCD sensor and the sense that the colour rendition in the CCD is more 'analogue' than that of the CMOS.

However for many the restrictions of the CCD  in the 645 D would be an impossible compromise and the 645Z would be the only option for the pro wishing to shoot in low light, do video and have the advantage of live view.

But for me, for serious shooting I will never go back to 35mm .

-- hide signature --

The Future Shall Make Fools of All of Us

abijake's gear list:abijake's gear list
Pentax 645Z
Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339Gear list
Like?
In reply to abijake, 6 months ago

I would wait.  I think medium format mirrorless is coming very soon.  I don't think I would invest in the current MF systems for digital at this time.

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha 7 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Cideway
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,694Gear list
Like?

Where did you read that the D-FA 645 55 f2.8 isn't that great?
I have used two different ones, and they were both incredible. It would also be worth considering the FA 645 80-160 f4.5 as that is incredible as well, as sharp as the prime.

-- hide signature --

Chris.
A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside
GMT +9.5
Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cideway, 6 months ago

Cideway wrote:

Where did you read that the D-FA 645 55 f2.8 isn't that great?
I have used two different ones, and they were both incredible. It would also be worth considering the FA 645 80-160 f4.5 as that is incredible as well, as sharp as the prime.

-- hide signature --

Chris.
A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside
GMT +9.5
Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

I can't mind where exactly as i have been bouncing around the net quite a bit.. but from a few places people said it that it was good but not great and suffered in the corners a bit and I did see some samples that seem to that too but then I've seen others that looked great so possibility there's some good/bad copys of it.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Duplo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,656
Like?
In reply to Winder, 6 months ago

Winder wrote:

I would wait. I think medium format mirrorless is coming very soon. I don't think I would invest in the current MF systems for digital at this time.

leaf and phase one backs are open systems and can be used with a mirror when attached to such a camera or mirrorless when attached to say an alpha camera.

pricey yes, but definitely mirrorless.

I happen to find the current options very attractive and way more flexible than the traditional mirrorless segment, but they may appear expensive,depending on how you do your comparison.

-- hide signature --

Thomas
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
~~Link to homepage and blog in profile~~

idillic
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

I bought a slightly used 645D with 5 lenses - FA35mm, the new 55mm, FA75mm, FA120mm & the 200FA lens.  The whole lot was cheaper than a new 800e with equivalent lenses.

Best money I have ever spent.  The first 4 lenses I listed are all excellent and very sharp, and the 200mm lens is still very good.  The IQ I find is noticeably better than most FF images, and the whole kit is so easy to use.

I will not be upgrading to the 645Z - no need really.  I photograph landscapes & buildings, and mostly use a tripod, so high iso settings are not that important.

Good luck with your research.

idillic's gear list:idillic's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax 645D Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads