Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
6 months ago

These were taken from roughly the same place two nights apart. I'm wondering which you like better? If you don't like either, why? What could I do to improve them?

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunset with Bridges - Which is more appealing
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

These were taken from roughly the same place two nights apart. I'm wondering which you like better? If you don't like either, why? What could I do to improve them?

The first one I like better as there is something in the foreground, but having said that It is taking too much space and is bang in the middle. Maybe if the tree had been to one side it would have been better!

for the no 2 there is a need for something to be in the foreground..dunno if you can pp and get some more contrast in the sky.. the couds are intresting..but need more of the coulds..I suspect if the horizon had been lower in the picture...just MHO..:)

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

 R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,497Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

These were taken from roughly the same place two nights apart. I'm wondering which you like better? If you don't like either, why? What could I do to improve them?

Did you perchance walk a bit to the left, and raise the camera,  to make an image of the above with the tree obscuring the sun?  That would've prevented the flare at 2 pm and might've given you a bit more interest in the (backlit) tree.  Good exposure.  Interesting (and challenging) composition.

Tom

 GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

I always like some interest in the foreground for a sunset or sunrise, so I think the first one is better.

However, it bothers me that the sun is on the left side and the tree is almost centered. This is "tree with sun," instead of "sunset with tree." Because of that, a square crop around the tree would work quite well as a palm tree photo.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

 Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 6 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

I always like some interest in the foreground for a sunset or sunrise, so I think the first one is better.

My thinking at the time I shot this was that the beach and seaweed was my foreground interest. Why am I wrong about that?

However, it bothers me that the sun is on the left side and the tree is almost centered. This is "tree with sun," instead of "sunset with tree." Because of that, a square crop around the tree would work quite well as a palm tree photo.

My thinking at the time was that I wanted to get the sunset in the crook in the tree trunk. And I wanted to get both bridges. Therefore the only place for the tree was the middle. I thought this was a time when you violate the rule of thirds. Apparently I was mistaken.

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Rules are ment to be broken, if that is what you wanted and you got it, then all is good. :))

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

 R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to R V C, 6 months ago

R V C wrote:

Rules are ment to be broken, if that is what you wanted and you got it, then all is good. :))

I only want to break rules if they result in more pleasing photos. That is why I post these for critique, so I can learn what works and what doesn't.

That is why I appreciate people being willing to give negative feedback, a.k.a. constructive criticism.

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

I always like some interest in the foreground for a sunset or sunrise, so I think the first one is better.

My thinking at the time I shot this was that the beach and seaweed was my foreground interest. Why am I wrong about that?

The beach and seaweed are inconsequential, compared to the mass of the tree. Without the tree, the second shot is pretty bland.

However, it bothers me that the sun is on the left side and the tree is almost centered. This is "tree with sun," instead of "sunset with tree." Because of that, a square crop around the tree would work quite well as a palm tree photo.

My thinking at the time was that I wanted to get the sunset in the crook in the tree trunk. And I wanted to get both bridges. Therefore the only place for the tree was the middle. I thought this was a time when you violate the rule of thirds. Apparently I was mistaken.

This is probably why it will work as a square crop. You simply don't need the left and right sides of the image. I understand wanting to get the bridge on the left, but as I said, what you have here is a photo of a tree and the left bridge becomes a distraction. Give it a try.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

 Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

R V C wrote:

Rules are ment to be broken, if that is what you wanted and you got it, then all is good. :))

I only want to break rules if they result in more pleasing photos. That is why I post these for critique, so I can learn what works and what doesn't.

That is why I appreciate people being willing to give negative feedback, a.k.a. constructive criticism.

Hind sight is a great thing, so here goes.. if you had taken a step to the right, you could still "probably" have kept the tree witht he sun exactly where you wanted, but in the left of the picture...cropping might achieve the same thing..

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

 R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,553Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

I always like some interest in the foreground for a sunset or sunrise, so I think the first one is better.

My thinking at the time I shot this was that the beach and seaweed was my foreground interest. Why am I wrong about that?

Until you posted the above I hadn't consciously noticed the seaweed because the sun is so dominating that it is difficult to draw your eyes away from it and the seaweed is quite dark.

If the sun had been just below the horizon the seaweed might have been more obvious especially if you brightened the foreground slightly in PP.

Like the others my personal view is that the first should is potentially better but taken from a slightly different viewpoint so that the sun and tree aren't so close together.

Nice shots but lots of different possible compositions.  Are you in a position to go back and experiment?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Chris R-UK, 6 months ago

Of the two, I prefer the first one. The second just doesn't seem to have anything to really get hold of and focus on enough to be appealing.

But even with the first one, it doesn't quite do it. I like the tree, I like the sunset, I like the water, I like the clouds - I just think that the way it's put together doesn't do any of it justice. The bridges are so incidental to the shot as to not really add anything, so I don't think there was any need to include them. Maybe you tried to do too much, and as a result just missed out on a powerful image. But only just. The image certainly has lots to like. It's just about composition. I'd say have a play with what you've got and see if you can end up with something worth keeping from this image. If not, at least, once again, you'll have learned a lot from posting your photos and getting lots of very useful and very generous feedback from so many people here who have years and years of knowledge.

I wish I had the guts to do this a bit more often myself. I get put off doing so by the number of people who say that it's a 'gear' forum not a feedback one - and by the fact that I don't feel I'm taking any particularly good photos at the moment. But it seems people are more than happy to chip in with their opinions, and putting yourself out there to get feedback is the best way to learn.

Best wishes

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 6 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

This is probably why it will work as a square crop. You simply don't need the left and right sides of the image. I understand wanting to get the bridge on the left, but as I said, what you have here is a photo of a tree and the left bridge becomes a distraction. Give it a try.

O.K. I didn't have any with the tree blocking the sun like Tom suggested but I tried the square crop.

First a recrop of my original post. Then a completely different shot. Then my originally posted shot for comparison.

I also worked the other photo a little. I'm not sure I helped it much but I thought I should try. The new version is first, then the original.

Recrop

Different shot

Original

Rework

Original

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 6 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

I wish I had the guts to do this a bit more often myself. I get put off doing so by the number of people who say that it's a 'gear' forum not a feedback one - and by the fact that I don't feel I'm taking any particularly good photos at the moment. But it seems people are more than happy to chip in with their opinions, and putting yourself out there to get feedback is the best way to learn.

There are a lot of different people here with a lot of different thoughts and opinions.

I too, note those who say it is a gear forum. I too, note that when folks do post photos they tend to be very popular threads. This tends to indicate that many feel as I do... This would become a very boring place if we didn't also discuss what we produce with our gear.

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Yeah, I like the first square crop. Maybe it's just me, but that seems better balanced than your original.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

 Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,746Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

These were taken from roughly the same place two nights apart. I'm wondering which you like better? If you don't like either, why? What could I do to improve them?

I like the tree, but not dead-center. It's too static, compositionally.

If you shift to the right more, positioning the tree on the left with the second bridge, it would be more interesting.

I'm a big fan of 16:9 landscape shots.

 jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to jeffharris, 6 months ago

jeffharris wrote:

I like the tree, but not dead-center. It's too static, compositionally.

If you shift to the right more, positioning the tree on the left with the second bridge, it would be more interesting.

I will keep it in mind when I go back... and I will go back. Maybe at a time when the sun is setting at the convergence of the two bridges. That, I think, would help this shot.

I'm a big fan of 16:9 landscape shots.

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,187
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Jim Salvas wrote:

This is probably why it will work as a square crop. You simply don't need the left and right sides of the image. I understand wanting to get the bridge on the left, but as I said, what you have here is a photo of a tree and the left bridge becomes a distraction. Give it a try.

O.K. I didn't have any with the tree blocking the sun like Tom suggested but I tried the square crop.

First a recrop of my original post. Then a completely different shot. Then my originally posted shot for comparison.

I also worked the other photo a little. I'm not sure I helped it much but I thought I should try. The new version is first, then the original.

Original

I like this one best. As a suggestion, I think the foreground is a little dark. I've reworked it by just adding a graduated filter diagonally from the left corner and just lifted the shadows.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnLock
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

The 1st is visually much more interesting, and I like it a lot.  The 2nd is nice but rather ordinary.

John

 JohnLock's gear list:JohnLock's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,076Gear list
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to yyr, 6 months ago

yyr wrote:

I like this one best. As a suggestion, I think the foreground is a little dark. I've reworked it by just adding a graduated filter diagonally from the left corner and just lifted the shadows.

Thanks for the tip. When I did my rework I painted in an adjustmet brush to lighten that up, but your graduated filter idea is probably a better approach, certainly quicker.

 Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Re: Tropical Sunsets with Bridges - Which is more appealing?
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

I couldn't agree more. I guess what I meant was that I would be a little shy about asking for quite as much feedback as you do, but am very encouraged by the fact that many people seem happy to offer their time and opinions, so I'm going to be bolder and post more photos of my own. It's a good thing! We're all very lucky to have a forum filled with so much photographic expertise!

Liz

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

NewGirlLiz wrote:

I wish I had the guts to do this a bit more often myself. I get put off doing so by the number of people who say that it's a 'gear' forum not a feedback one - and by the fact that I don't feel I'm taking any particularly good photos at the moment. But it seems people are more than happy to chip in with their opinions, and putting yourself out there to get feedback is the best way to learn.

There are a lot of different people here with a lot of different thoughts and opinions.

I too, note those who say it is a gear forum. I too, note that when folks do post photos they tend to be very popular threads. This tends to indicate that many feel as I do... This would become a very boring place if we didn't also discuss what we produce with our gear.

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads