SPP 5.5.3 not showing all settings

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Penguen
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
SPP 5.5.3 not showing all settings
5 months ago

I have installed it on Windows 7 64 bit, a few times, but can't get all the settings that are supposed to be available.

For instance the BW button is always "greyed out", when I open an image, the adjustment button only shows Tonal Adjustment and Color Adjustment but with no sliders. There are no settings for noise reduction, sharpness, grain and so on.

Can anyone help to have it working?

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: SPP 5.5.3 not showing all settings
In reply to Penguen, 5 months ago

couple points to consider:
What camera's X3F are you processing? not all cameras can use all features of SPP5.5.3. for example, the older cameras do not use colormodes.

Realize that for the Merrill cameras, there are 2 steps to load all features; 3 actually. First you see the JPEG that is automatically within the RAW. Then the first RAW view loads. You can satisfactorily use that view to process. BUT if you want to use all tools, such as the loupe or magnification, you need to click 'full res' button to load a full resolution view. Then the loupe works. Since it takes several seconds to load a full big view, it's actually useful to have this two-step process. I find I don't need to load the full resolution view for a quick processing or a general review of photos.

There is a SPP manual on the software itself, under the Help menu. I just downloaded after my recent trip SPP5.5.3 onto a Lenovo Win8 computer and it works fine.

( I'm still working out the 'best' settings to process my Nevada files, thus you'll see some repetitive photos below on flickr.)

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current new photos)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rudi
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?

Not all features are available for the non Merill Sigma cameras and NR only works from ISO 400 up.

Would be nice if they could make it work over the full ISO range.

Penguen
Like?

Thank you all for your answers!

I have just got a DP2 Merrill and starting to get acquainted with it. I only shot raw and of course need SPP to process it.

After Rudi's tip about the Noise reduction section, I loaded a raw file of a picture taken at 800 ISO and the Noise section appeared.

I loaded it again, and all the sections where there, now the whole interface works fine. The only thing that has disappeared again is the set of sliders in the color adjustment section, I think there is something wrong with my old PC.

If I may ask, after some quick tests, I think I get the best results shooting at 200 ASA with +0,7 exposure to feed the shadows, then I tone down the highlights in SPP.

Any advise on this?

xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 3,512Gear list
Like?

Penguen wrote:

If I may ask, after some quick tests, I think I get the best results shooting at 200 ASA with +0,7 exposure to feed the shadows, then I tone down the highlights in SPP.

Any advise on this?

Well, not advice but I have done quite a bit of research on the so-called 'highlight recovery' and would say that over-exposing habitually could reward you with un-recoverable highlights in some scenes, for example, white buildings on a bright day. On my Sigmas there's not a lot of headroom, maybe 1/2 EV and they only shoot raw, so I'm not a great fan of ETTR.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +2 more
SandyF
Like?

Your 'best' exposure will depend upon your subjects, locale, light conditions, and settings. I've been shooting the DP2Merrill since it first came out, and I still don't always get it right. Sigh. But the primary rule of thumb is that the Merrill sensor, in fact all the Sigma/Foveon sensors, don't appreciate being underexposed.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

SandyF
Like?
Re: PS re settings
In reply to SandyF, 5 months ago

Re exposure and IMHO needing to push exposure and not underexpose the Merrill sensor: In Nevada I was usually pushing the exposure hard ... ISO100 rather than ISO200 AND adding +.3EV AND using probably too small apertures, often f/13 or f/11. (some might say diffraction set in but I wanted the maximum depth of field I could wring out with a supportable shutter speed). On a previous trip in the desert, I'd underexposed almost everything.

In initial review of the photos in the motel, I thought I'd overdone it.. ie overexposed everything this time. I had a chance to reshoot the Spring Mountain Escarpment by Bonnie Springs a second time, same general time of day, similar conditions, on the day we were departing, so I did straight f/8 ISO100. Home on my better computer, I think the f/13 +.3EV photos are probably better! I have to increase the exposure on the f/8 photos a lot by exposure slider + fill light slider to .2 or .3 I generally do not go over .3 on fill light.

My best advise: shoot a variety of settings! Experiment with processing!

At home in Virginia, I usually like standard colormode on my naturals and landscapes. On the desert photos, I think neutral is 'better' ... I recall Kendall G. usually prefers neutral.

Crazy, crazy detail of rocks & plants with that DP2Merrill; I just love that fine detail.

Best regards, Sandy

TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,112
Like?

"Re exposure and IMHO needing to push exposure and not underexpose the Merrill sensor"

I spent a morning with a photographer friend and lent him my three DP Merrills to play with. To give him fewer controls to worry about I set them at +1EV.

I was worried when I first saw the jpgs on my PC but few of the shots did have overblown highlights. In hindsight +0.7 would have been better/safer - and total control even preferable.

But it does endorse the overexpose philosophy.

As a postscript I should mention that my pal is now intending to buy all three - to supplement his camera kit which includes a Leica M9.

Tony

SandyF
Like?
In reply to TonyGamble, 5 months ago

Tony, interesting, thanks. I find that +1 usually overdoes the exposure for me, but then too I'm usually shooting ISO100, which in one sense already IS overexposure. (The "base ISO" is supposed to be ISO200).

What I find IMHO when I do overexpose isn't so much blown highlights, but rather the file seems thinner somehow, not as rich and full in detail, ie less fine detail and presence. It's hard to put into words. That's what I first saw on the Nevada RAWs @ ISO100 +.3EV f/13 or f/11 with big sky landscapes, but then when I looked in detail they were as good if not better than the ISO100 no EV f/8. I've got a variety up on flickr... I use flickr to study the output online, now too I'll print some for study before I proceed further with RAW processing.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current new photos)

Chuck Lantz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,143Gear list
Like?
In reply to TonyGamble, 5 months ago

TonyGamble wrote:

As a postscript I should mention that my pal is now intending to buy all three - to supplement his camera kit which includes a Leica M9.

This is the kind of story Sigma should be using to advertise their cameras. Until you've actually seen what the Sigma produces, or heard from a third-party who has seen them, no amount of ad copy can do the Foveon sensor justice.

... there's a possible simile in there somewhere.  Hmmm, ... let's see.  "A picture is worth, ummm, 800 words"  No, too few.  "... worth 1200 words."  Nahhh, too many.

... I'll keep working on it and get back to you.

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"
"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.
... "Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner ...
"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo ... "Speed kills" - No, it doesn't. Speed has never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop that does it. - Me ... http://www.ChuckLantz.com ... Confessions from the middle of the pack: What I lacked in skill and courage I made up for in enthusiasm. As a result, I was enthusiastic beyond belief.

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Penguen
Like?

SandyF wrote:

Re exposure and IMHO needing to push exposure and not underexpose the Merrill sensor: In Nevada I was usually pushing the exposure hard ... ISO100 rather than ISO200 AND adding +.3EV AND using probably too small apertures, often f/13 or f/11. (some might say diffraction set in but I wanted the maximum depth of field I could wring out with a supportable shutter speed). On a previous trip in the desert, I'd underexposed almost everything.

In initial review of the photos in the motel, I thought I'd overdone it.. ie overexposed everything this time. I had a chance to reshoot the Spring Mountain Escarpment by Bonnie Springs a second time, same general time of day, similar conditions, on the day we were departing, so I did straight f/8 ISO100. Home on my better computer, I think the f/13 +.3EV photos are probably better! I have to increase the exposure on the f/8 photos a lot by exposure slider + fill light slider to .2 or .3 I generally do not go over .3 on fill light.

My best advise: shoot a variety of settings! Experiment with processing!

At home in Virginia, I usually like standard colormode on my naturals and landscapes. On the desert photos, I think neutral is 'better' ... I recall Kendall G. usually prefers neutral.

Crazy, crazy detail of rocks & plants with that DP2Merrill; I just love that fine detail.

Best regards, Sandy

I don't have enough experience with the DP2 Merrill, just a  couple of days of testing.

What I see so far is that the 200 ISO image seems to have more native micro contrast. The camera seem to be working it differently than the 100 ISO. However we are talking about small differences. Once developed I open them in Photoshop, and of course can add a bit of sharpness to the 100 ISO to make it better than the 200 ISO, but again, I can apply the same sharpness to the latter

I am shooting raw, at 200 ISO + 0,7 EV than compensated the exposure in SPP.

Not sure this is the best approach for any subject but it suit my tastes.

Thanks for your answers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads