low light AF test: a77ii vs A77 with assist lamp

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
low light AF test: a77ii vs A77 with assist lamp
7 months ago
 vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367
Like?
Re: low light AF test: a77ii vs A77 with assist lamp
In reply to vw671, 7 months ago

that is incredible

it pretty much removes any worries i had about the lack of the af assist lamp

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
linzdoctor7d
Contributing MemberPosts: 770Gear list
Like?
SHAZAM!
 linzdoctor7d's gear list:linzdoctor7d's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +28 more
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,753
Like?

Why is the EV set at -2?  Why not shoot at ISO-800 and EV=0?  Still not a lot of light, but not darkness either.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

vw671
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, 7 months ago

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Why is the EV set at -2? Why not shoot at ISO-800 and EV=0? Still not a lot of light, but not darkness either.

EV is not set to -2. Both cameras are being shot in Manual mode the "m.m." -2 (manual metering) is the camera saying that the picture taken is 2 stops under exposed. BTW. the 77 is being shot at 6400 ISO and the 77ii is being shot in 3200 ISO.

I'm pretty sure you can't even set EV in Manual mode.

vw671's gear list:vw671's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
J Birn
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ed at Ridersite, 7 months ago

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Why is the EV set at -2? Why not shoot at ISO-800 and EV=0? Still not a lot of light, but not darkness either.

When you're in Manual exposure mode, the EV readout is more like an exposure meter, not something you set. (When it says -2 EV, it's just telling you that the image looks more than 2 stops darker than the exposure meter would like it.)

You can only set the EV while in Manual mode if you have the ISO set to Auto. In that case you are in what Sony calls "Metered Manual" and it is doing auto exposure by changing the ISO for you, even though you have chosen the aperture and shutter speed manually. (The option to use Auto ISO while in Manual mode was missing from the a77 mark i as far as I know, although all the newer Sony cameras seem to have it, and a few 'older' Sony cameras like the a99 as well.)

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM
Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,753
Like?
In reply to J Birn, 7 months ago

J Birn wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

When you're in Manual exposure mode, the EV readout is more like an exposure meter, not something you set. (When it says -2 EV, it's just telling you that the image looks more than 2 stops darker than the exposure meter would like it.)

You can only set the EV while in Manual mode if you have the ISO set to Auto. In that case you are in what Sony calls "Metered Manual" and it is doing auto exposure by changing the ISO for you, even though you have chosen the aperture and shutter speed manually. (The option to use Auto ISO while in Manual mode was missing from the a77 mark i as far as I know, although all the newer Sony cameras seem to have it, and a few 'older' Sony cameras like the a99 as well.)

Thanks Jeremy.  I see now.  I almost never use manual and have the A-77 mark I.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?

That was impressive improvement. This indicates that A77II will focus much faster when shooting against the light too, and that will be much more useful for this camera-class.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,710Gear list
Like?
thank goodness!

You know I was really worried about how I was going to track the batmobile or BIF (batman in flight) at night without the AF assist.

Now I can sleep easy
--
Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads