Maui - First Photo Post

Started 7 months ago | Photos
javyNJ
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Maui - First Photo Post
7 months ago

I've been lurking around here after owning an E-M5 for about 18 months or so. It's my first ILC so I've been doing a lot of reading and learning.

I finally worked up the stones to post some of my photos in the hopes that it will help me progress in my photographic adventure. C&C on both composition and PP welcome and encouraged, but take it easy on me, I'm still a newbie!

These were all taken on a Thanksgiving vacation to Maui.

All taken with the E-M5 and Oly 14-54mm II or Pan 45-150mm in RAW and PP in LR.

1 - White Hibiscus

2 - Thanksgiving Sunset

3 - Native Bird Silhouette

4 - Rowing

5 - Sunset Sail

6 - Cliff Diver

7 - Sunset at 10k feet

javyNJ's gear list:javyNJ's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,101Gear list
Like?
Re: C&C: Maui - First Photo Post
In reply to javyNJ, 7 months ago

These are nice, but it's hard to judge from mostly sunset photos, which are just too darned easy. So is the flower. The diver is cool, though.

I'm a bit surprised, given your liking for scenics, that you didn't shoot any wider than about 54mm.

Keep taking photos!

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,085Gear list
Like?
Re: Maui - First Photo Post

My favorite is #4 Rowing. I'd call this photo "Silver Light" It is perfect for my eyes.

Also I haven't found anything that deserves bashing - all of your shots are well done, but #4 is very special

Best regards

S.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
javyNJ
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 7 months ago

The more I shoot the more I find myself gravitating towards narrower fov, whether its landscapes or portraits.

I admit, taking pictures of anything in Maui is just darned easy Jim. The colors are just so vibrant and everywhere you look there's something gorgeous to point a camera at. Still, baby steps, right?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,101Gear list
Like?

Please understand, I'm not denigrating your work here.

I frequently shoot sunsets and sunrises, mainly for the memories of the places I've been.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
javyNJ
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 7 months ago

Thanks S. I sat and watched that picture come together for a while hoping that the paddleboarder and the canoe would cross the light at the same time...

Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,261Gear list
Like?

I really enjoyed 6 and 7! Great catch on the diver. The clouds are great on the sunset shot!

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Bob657
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?

In my opinion, overall pretty good. I wanted to provide some feedback as constructive criticism that might be helpful so while there are no right answers, I might have made a few changes:

1. A bit higher exposure if you don't blow the highlights

2. I would prefer the horizon a little higher up

3, 4, 5 look good

6. This might be stronger with a tighter crop

7. Very nice as-is

As they say, there is no accounting for taste so this is just my two cents!

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,633
Like?

Very nice photos.  The diver off the cliff is a great capture.

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?

Nice shots! I was in Maui in December and took sunrise photos on Haleakala, but I really like your sunset photo. The cliff diver photo is great, but I find the vertical arrow and its angled support to be distracting. I would clone those out, personally. And it looks like perhaps it should be rotated counterclockwise slightly, to get the waterline against the distant land mass horizontal?

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
javyNJ
Like?
In reply to Bob657, 7 months ago

Thanks for the detailed response! I'll definitely go back and see how your suggestions change things...

javyNJ
Like?
In reply to brentbrent, 7 months ago

We planned on going at sunrise but getting up that early on vacation was just not happening.
You're right about the diver, the horizon does look a little off. I'll definitely make that change! As for the arrow, that's actually a torch. I cloned out some other extraneous stuff from that cliff already and thought it looked OK, but if its not clear what it is then its probably not adding anything. Thanks!

brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 934Gear list
Like?

javyNJ wrote:

We planned on going at sunrise but getting up that early on vacation was just not happening.
You're right about the diver, the horizon does look a little off. I'll definitely make that change!

A friend told us to do the sunrise trip the first morning after arrival, while still on mainland time. Worked pretty well. Here's what you missed:

Looking again, I can see a faint flame from the torch in your diver photo. Your call, of course, but I'd prefer the image without it. My eye just keeps getting drawn to that. The colors in that image are lovely, kudos for not overdoing it in PP (which I tend to do).

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
boxerman
Contributing MemberPosts: 705Gear list
Like?

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I'm happy to try to provide a little help.

I would put these at the high end of "vacation snaps." All nice; nothing really worth printing or putting on the wall. I don't have any technical issues (thought that would be worth thinking about for the most special of your shots). As I think others also suggested, more rare moments and configurations stand out. The diver and paddle-board/canoe are the best in that regard.

If I had one piece of advice, it would be look for something special, moments or compositions. I would love to have a vacation portfolio like yours, but "special shots" go a bit beyond.

Here's a link to a short set of pix we took on Maui in 2012 (about a month before I converted to m 4/3). They are, like yours "nice vacation snaps," but a few arguably transcend that about an inch. We did print and hang some of the Haleakala shots. Moody with the fog. I also like the composition on some of the beach shots, with a critical wave moment, and the bamboo forest was just cool. I think you have to work for great shots. On our last trip to North Shore Oahu, we spent 3 days shooting waves. I got 3 that I liked enough to print.

Maui 2012

Well, heck, here are a few favorites. As I say, nothing that special, but they were shots that were carefully composed and sometime I had to wait quite a bit for the right moment. Worth it.

We had to wait a couple of hours to get the fog the way we wanted it.

Earlier than above. I'm a sucker for winding paths.

This is all about the geometry.

-- hide signature --

The BoxerMan

boxerman's gear list:boxerman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,751Gear list
Like?

I like the cliff diver!

Andrew

Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Welcome javy with a fine collection of pix nt

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,993Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

These are nice, but it's hard to judge from mostly sunset photos, which are just too darned easy.

In Hawaii they are

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?

Welcome to MFT Forum.

Most of the pics are very nice.

But to my eyes, a few horizons don't look level. Did you use the in-camera level function?

Also, did you shoot any scenics in daylight?

Thanks for sharing, and hope to see more of your photos here.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?

Jim Salvas wrote:

These are nice, but it's hard to judge from mostly sunset photos, which are just too darned easy. So is the flower. The diver is cool, though.

I'm a bit surprised, given your liking for scenics, that you didn't shoot any wider than about 54mm.

Keep taking photos!

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Shooting sunsets are easy because you can shoot everyday if you want. But getting a really good shot is really hard. So many variables need to be in line before you can get a good shot. I have about 400 shots of sunsets from Magic Island in Hawaii and only 2 of them are OK in my estimation. The biggest "problem" is cloud formation. Too much or too little clouds and you get "snap shot" photos.

The best is a sky full of individual cumulus clouds spread over most of the sky. Then at one point during sunset, the clouds light up from the horizon to over your head. I missed such a sight by one day several years ago. The day after shooting a Magic Island, the evening local news showed the amazing sunset. At least I saw is in on TV from my sister's apartment. As the saying goes: f/8 and be there! I wasn't there

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 90mm f/2.5 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +3 more
javyNJ
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, 7 months ago

Len_Gee wrote:

Welcome to MFT Forum.

Most of the pics are very nice.

But to my eyes, a few horizons don't look level. Did you use the in-camera level function?

You're right, the horizons are slightly off. I'll have to tweak that. Thanks

Also, did you shoot any scenics in daylight?

Here are few daylight photos. Frankly I find most scenes in 'normal light' to be underwhelming to my eye.

7 - Miniature Landscape

8 - Winding Road

9 - Hold the Line

10 - Endless Valley

Thanks for sharing, and hope to see more of your photos here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads