Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Guadalupe
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
7 months ago

I have the above camera and I am having issues with how to do auto focus in Program Mode. If I switch to A it automatically focuses.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stratobill
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
In reply to Guadalupe, 7 months ago

Guadalupe wrote:

I have the above camera and I am having issues with how to do auto focus in Program Mode. If I switch to A it automatically focuses.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

If it is not focusing when you press the button in P mode, look in the menus and see if autofocus is disabled for the picture taking button and enabled on the "AF-On" button.

stratobill's gear list:stratobill's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to stratobill, 7 months ago

Why you using Program Mode on a Top DSLR. Don't make sense to me. Sorry. Try "A" instead.

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
SaylerPhoto
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrScary, 7 months ago

In "A" auto mode everything is going to be done for you.

In "P" program mode you'll need to set some things. It is likely set to a single focus point or a small cluster of focus points, which is what many professionals and enthusiasts use.

Press the af selection button (far right button near the top - looks like the plus sign made of dots) and then quickly press the M-Fn button on the top. If you are looking through the viewfinder you will see that it is toggling between different types of focussing - Including autofocus.

Hope that is helpful.

BTW - When I got my first advanced dslr I took the manual to bed every night for a week to understand how it worked and I still refer to it occasionally.

Canon has some interesting videos explaining how the 5D Mark III focus system works on their website.

SaylerPhoto's gear list:SaylerPhoto's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531
Like?
In reply to MrScary, 7 months ago

MrScary wrote:

Why you using Program Mode on a Top DSLR. Don't make sense to me. Sorry. Try "A" instead.

-- hide signature --

I assume you mean "try "Av"" mode. A mode (strictly, green-A+-with-a-box-round-it mode) is indeed an idiot mode put there to allow the camera to be used by those who have bought it as bling. But do not dismiss P mode which in undemanding situations will give a perfectly sensible balance of aperture and shutter speed. The trick is to know when not to use it rather than avoiding it completely.

The OP's problem presumably arises because the camera had already seen some use and had been customised to take AF off the shutter button before the OP acquired it. The answer is to use the menu options to clear all custom functions and restore the camera to its default settings.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads