Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
4 months ago

Anyone know anything about this? I've been starting to think about buying the Olympus 12 mm lens and was looking for a black one - but they're out of stock almost everywhere I look (in the UK). Have they ditched the 'special edition' run and that's it, no more black ones, or are they planning to bring the black one out again, perhaps at a price that's closer to the silver one? I'm trying to decide whether to snap up a second hand one, grit my teeth and go for silver, or wait!

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

Neurad1
Contributing MemberPosts: 990Gear list
Like?
Re: Has the black Olympus 12mm lens gone for good?
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 4 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Anyone know anything about this? I've been starting to think about buying the Olympus 12 mm lens and was looking for a black one - but they're out of stock almost everywhere I look (in the UK). Have they ditched the 'special edition' run and that's it, no more black ones, or are they planning to bring the black one out again, perhaps at a price that's closer to the silver one? I'm trying to decide whether to snap up a second hand one, grit my teeth and go for silver, or wait!

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

I think you may be right....I don't see it either. If you have the 12-40 2.8, though, I wouldn't bother (unless you want the small size). My 12 2 is good but not great, and I think the 12-40 is as good at 12mm as the 12 2 is.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olydude
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
In reply to Neurad1, 4 months ago

Unless you want more depth of field, or better low light performance, or the compact size of the 12mm as the 12-40 is ridiculous in terms of it's size for what it offers, or a lens you can buy second hand for $500, as opposed to closer to $900 for the 12-40. There's many advantages to the 12...

On the other hand it doesn't give you the freedom of a zoom, which is a two edged sword of course. Zooms make you lazy and you never will really learn to compose with one, or move with your feet to get the best possible shot, or realise that an 40mm framed shot is a completely different shot to one that is framed at 12mm even if you're standing at an equivalent perspective.

I wouldn't give up my 12mm if you paid me to... there are too many different equations out there to deal with where it gives a definitive advantage over a zoom.

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
In reply to Olydude, 4 months ago

Didn't mean to start a 12mm vs 12-40 debate - although I know most of us could happily discuss that or similar all day! Just wondering if anyone knows what's actually going on with the 12 mm lens in terms of production and availability. Does anyone?

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,274
Like?

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

It was only ever available as the special edition kit, with the hood, second cap and filter. Labeled as discontinued where still listed. I suspect Oly won't reissue just the black lens at the standard price, as it would upset the folks who shelled out the extra money for black. Silver or used black are probably your options.

It's so small that silver on a black camera looks fine to my eye; add a black hood and it pretty much becomes a black lens. Really like the lens, FWIW.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?

Olydude wrote:

Unless you want more depth of field, or better low light performance, or the compact size of the 12mm as the 12-40 is ridiculous in terms of it's size for what it offers, or a lens you can buy second hand for $500, as opposed to closer to $900 for the 12-40. There's many advantages to the 12...

He did say if they already have a 12-40mm which makes the cost a mute point, he mentioned the size and the DoF attainable isn't going to be much different.

On the other hand it doesn't give you the freedom of a zoom, which is a two edged sword of course. Zooms make you lazy and you never will really learn to compose with one,

No. YOU make you lazy. Zooms just allow you to stay your own special breed of lazy.

or move with your feet to get the best possible shot,

Apart from the fast that zooming with your feet with change the perspective, possibly in ways that you don't want and therefore it likely won't be the best possible shot. If you can get the absolute best possible shot with the focal length you happen to have on the camera then you're very lucky.

or realise that an 40mm framed shot is a completely different shot to one that is framed at 12mm even if you're standing at an equivalent perspective.

Surely it's easier to realise this when you have a zoom with both those focal lengths, rather than having to change lenses.

I wouldn't give up my 12mm if you paid me to... there are too many different equations out there to deal with where it gives a definitive advantage over a zoom.

About the only useful thing you've said.

Sorry, I just get annoyed at when people say zooms make them lazy. I like zooms precisely because I'm not lazy. I want to be able to get the perfect framing combined with the perfect perspective and am therefore happy with walk around to fine the perfect perspective and once there use my zoom to also get the perfect framing. I'd hate finding the right perspective and the find out I have to take five steps back to get the framing I had in mind.

James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,678Gear list
Like?
silver is classic

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Hi Liz,

The black version seems to be gone.  I have the silver version since its introduction in 2011. I believe it has a classic look on any Pen camera; I have never owned an OMD. I use mine on an E-P5 and, to me, the silver finish just exudes style. I even purchased a made-for-Leica silver UV filter by B+W.  If your goal is low-key appearance, of course the black version is the way to go.

If black is your thing, I suspect you can find a mint copy for sale somewhere; perseverance will reward you. You can even have reputable places like KEH keep an eye out for you. Otherwise, the silver version is readily available from $500 to $800. I like silver so much that I also purchased a silver 75mm f/1.8 and have my eyes on a silver 17mm f/1.8. To each his/her own, and happy shooting!

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Olydude
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 4 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

Olydude wrote:

He did say if they already have a 12-40mm which makes the cost a mute point, he mentioned the size and the DoF attainable isn't going to be much different.

First of all it's a moot point... so if you're going to bother to correct someone you might get your language right in the first place, and no it doesn't actually. The price difference between the 12 F/2 and the 12-40 F/2.8 is substantial. I could say you can find a 12 F/2 for half the price of a 12-40 F/2.8 which is substantial, particularly when the 12 F/2 is sharper across its range where it counts in centre weighted sharpness.

There's also enough of a difference with depth of field and light gathering ability to make enough of a difference to buy the prime outright, while you may not ever get close enough to frame a shot at F/2 you can't speak for everyone else and then, there's the fact that at F/2, your light gathering ability approximately doubles, as compared to F/2.8... That is to say while you're shutter speed is at 500 at F/2.8 at F/2 it could be down at 250... I don't care what you think otherwise that is significant enough when you are shooting in low light.

Then there's the other thing here with people who like to get on their soapbox about how there's no need to buy primes anymore since this lens fell out of the sky from the land of milk and honey, which doesn't even bother to beg an answer in itself.

On the other hand it doesn't give you the freedom of a zoom, which is a two edged sword of course. Zooms make you lazy and you never will really learn to compose with one,

No. YOU make you lazy. Zooms just allow you to stay your own special breed of lazy.

Apart from the fast that zooming with your feet with change the perspective, possibly in ways that you don't want and therefore it likely won't be the best possible shot.

Umm this makes very little sense actually, in your world you would choose a focal length and then move with your feet. In my world I choose the best possible framing for that frame size and think of the composition, but either way, the shot remains the same. At 12mm zoom you can frame exactly the same shot as I can with my 12mm prime nothing changes.

Things only change when you zoom in and make it a 13mm shot at which point I've already changed to a different lens anyway such as a 14mm , 17mm or 25mm... Zoom doesn't help with composition, it just changes the lens width to something else. There is no advantage of a zoom over someone who shoots with a prime.

Nothing else you've said makes any sense so get down off the soap box and put away your capital letters and mute your voice. If the OP wants a black 12mm F/2 lens then so be it, I'm talking in matters of fact, not in capital letters...

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
El Chubasco
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

I have one for sale. Let me know if interested.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,945Gear list
Like?
This comes up from time to time.

This comes up from time to time, including quite recently. You can do a search to find that thread and its discussion.

Seems it (Special Edition black) is dead and there is no report of standard issue black version. To get updated information on this and other m4/3 lenses, follow the m4/3 rumor site.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,517
Like?
Are you aware....

That there is a huge price discrepancy between the black and the silver. I can't exactly remember but the black was close to double the price of the silver, which was already not to cheap. There is no difference between the lenses that the black came with the hood.

If you know this and still want a black one they pop up from time to time on eBay but you will need to be patient, watchful and prepared to outbid everyone.

I have the silver on the black EM1 - it looks dorky but I've learnt to stop worrying about it. All my primes are silver. I'm sure that if I swapped them all for black the next camera I buy will be made in a silver version only. I plan to keep my lenses longer than I keep my bodies so it is what it is

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?

Olydude wrote:

Dheorl wrote:

Olydude wrote:

First of all it's a moot point... so if you're going to bother to correct someone you might get your language right in the first place, and no it doesn't actually.

I wasn't correcting you, just disagreeing with your point of view. If you want to go through my reply picking apart my spelling and grammar for whatever pleasure you might get out of it then feel free.

The price difference between the 12 F/2 and the 12-40 F/2.8 is substantial.

But not relevant if you already have the 12-40mm.

I could say you can find a 12 F/2 for half the price of a 12-40 F/2.8 which is substantial, particularly when the 12 F/2 is sharper across its range where it counts in centre weighted sharpness.

There's also enough of a difference with depth of field and light gathering ability to make enough of a difference to buy the prime outright, while you may not ever get close enough to frame a shot at F/2 you can't speak for everyone else and then, there's the fact that at F/2, your light gathering ability approximately doubles, as compared to F/2.8... That is to say while you're shutter speed is at 500 at F/2.8 at F/2 it could be down at 250... I don't care what you think otherwise that is significant enough when you are shooting in low light.

Fair nuf. I personally never find an extra stop difference in ISO worth enough to change lenses. I guess that's why the only primes I have are an f1.4 and a fisheye.

Then there's the other thing here with people who like to get on their soapbox about how there's no need to buy primes anymore since this lens fell out of the sky from the land of milk and honey, which doesn't even bother to beg an answer in itself.

Apart from the fast that zooming with your feet with change the perspective, possibly in ways that you don't want and therefore it likely won't be the best possible shot.

Umm this makes very little sense actually, in your world you would choose a focal length and then move with your feet. In my world I choose the best possible framing for that frame size and think of the composition, but either way, the shot remains the same. At 12mm zoom you can frame exactly the same shot as I can with my 12mm prime nothing changes.

No, in my world I choose my perspective then frame with my zoom. I don't choose a photograph based on a focal length, I choose a focal length based on a photographer.

Things only change when you zoom in and make it a 13mm shot at which point I've already changed to a different lens anyway such as a 14mm , 17mm or 25mm... Zoom doesn't help with composition, it just changes the lens width to something else. There is no advantage of a zoom over someone who shoots with a prime.

Apart from when the shot I want requires a 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, 18mm, 21mm, 22mm... you get my point. Yes you could get close enough with a prime and then crop, but why do that when you can get around changing lenses in the field and avoid having to crop in post. Unless you need the extra light gathering ability of shallow DoF which might be noticeable with for instance a fast prime vs a kit zoom there is no compositional advantage to primes.

Nothing else you've said makes any sense so get down off the soap box and put away your capital letters and mute your voice. If the OP wants a black 12mm F/2 lens then so be it, I'm talking in matters of fact, not in capital letters...

You're not, you're prancing about with some ideology that primes will make you a better shooter which as a lover of zooms I find incredibly annoying. I'm not lazy, my compositions don't suffer because of it and shooting with primes will not magically reveal a new unseen set of compositions to me. I have no issue with the OP wanting a black 12mm, I just have issue with you saying that zoom shooters are lazy photographers.

Olydude
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 4 months ago

That's the whole point... You're not learning anything about focal lengths or why they exist, or why there has been standard focal lengths such as 24, 28, 35, 50, 90, 100, and 135mm for such a long time.

There is a specific and valid reason why these focal lengths are chosen more often than not by photographers, and that is that they suit the style of photography and have done so for so long that they are somewhat of a standard. That's OK if you don't want to adhere to that, but you should at least recognise that such standards exist for good reason.

cfh25
Contributing MemberPosts: 807
Like?
One here?
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago
uberzone
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Too late now but......
In reply to cfh25, 4 months ago

Olympus outlet had some a few days ago for a very reasonable price, around $750. They are gone now but it might be worthwhile to keep an eye out there in the future.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha 7R
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,792Gear list
Like?
The old prime vs zoom arguments

Olydude wrote:

That's the whole point... You're not learning anything about focal lengths or why they exist, or why there has been standard focal lengths such as 24, 28, 35, 50, 90, 100, and 135mm for such a long time.

Standard focal lengths are there because that's what started being made and unimaginative photographers keep buying them as they become "must haves" for no other reasons than they box their view into those set focal lengths.

There is a specific and valid reason why these focal lengths are chosen more often than not by photographers, and that is that they suit the style of photography and have done so for so long that they are somewhat of a standard. That's OK if you don't want to adhere to that, but you should at least recognise that such standards exist for good reason.

Feet set the perspective and focal length sets the framing and something like the 12-40/2.8 makes that all so convenient and way more versatile than a set of primes.

Just because photography becomes painful at times with primes (swapping to the right lens, if you have it in the bag) doesn't mean that pain makes for better photography. The contemplative method of find the spot to shoot from for the desired perspective, then vary the zoom to get the desired and highly selective framing makes for better photography.

You might have 12/17/25/45 primes, I have a zoom that covers 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 and 40mm plus minor cropping to cover a bit further up to 45mm.

Each to his own of course but zooms work fine for me. Been there done that with primes in film days and now rejoice in the fact that one lens does it all.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Guy Parsons
Like?

Seems true, yodobashi.com when Google translated shows this for the black 12mm....

Olympus OLYMPUS
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm F2.0 [M. Zuiko Digital Micro Four Thirds 12mm/F2.0 Limited Black Kit]¥ 92,500
I, has been discontinued

So used is the only source now.

Regards..... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,203
Like?

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Thanks

Liz

-- hide signature --

I have the black one - I had to search for a "reasonable" price and had to buy it from Japan to get it.  It still came at a good premium over the silver version as one might expect.

As far as I know they were a once-only limited edition run.  In fact it comes marked "limited edition" and if it were made again there would be a few owners who had paid the premium for this limited edition who might be slightly annoyed.

I watched one being sold second hand on eBay just recently out of "idle curiosity" and noted that it sold for more than the new price of the silver version - such is the pulling-power of "black".

I am not sure if the black version gets a little more build attention to justify its "limited" status  (I doubt it), but it certainly comes with an oem hood and a filter which is not supplied with the silver version.  But after market hoods for the silver one (and a black version if your black hood is ever lost) are quite cheap.

As for capability.  I am just a little disappointed at this relatively expensive lens' performance.  Not that it is bad but the very cheap and great value Sigma Art series arguably match it and I have a set of three Sigma lenses for almost exactly half the rpice of one "limited edition" Olympus lens.

Where the 12/2.0 does excel is that it is small and a very good low light lens - for that purpose alone as much as its general acceptable performance for general purpose use it is worth having.  But the Sigma Art lenses have a  far better cost/performance ratio.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,203
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, 4 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

Seems true, yodobashi.com when Google translated shows this for the black 12mm....

Olympus OLYMPUS
M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12mm F2.0 [M. Zuiko Digital Micro Four Thirds 12mm/F2.0 Limited Black Kit]¥ 92,500
I, has been discontinued

So used is the only source now.

Regards..... Guy

Guy,

My tale of woe ...

A few months ago I decided I needed a 12/2.0 for my black GM1 for my trip to NZ.  A black 12/2.0 seemed essential even at more than the entry price of the GM1 and kit lens.  Shuffled my feet over the price difference.  Then found an Australian site in Adelaide with the cheapest black 12/2.0 on offer worldwide. So I thought I would have one of them, thinking that the vendor was simply clearing stock.  Well a month later they were still explaining that they were awaiting their back-order from the Olympus Australian distributor.  So much for being in stock, it might have still been on the distributors price list.  We came to a mutual agreement that Olympus were not going to deliver and the vendor took it off their own catalogue.  Therefore I presume stocks were drying up and that there were no more for Australia.

I then set out to self-import but there were not many to be had and I eventually had to settle for one direct from Japan, which of course arrived in the usual prompt efficient Japanese manner in the matter of days.  In fact probably much the same time as it could be freighted from Adelaide.  Considering that I presume the local distributer also imports from Japan it is a bit remiss of them not to fill a back order for this expensive little lens over a month.  My guess must be that Olympus head office no longer has any to sell but which in any case should have been good cause to feed that fact back to me if customer relations meant anything. It seemed pretty slack to me.

So "they" complain because people buy direct form overseas but with service like that we might just wonder why.

In the end the lens is quite good and I would not send it back, but as to being worth the money?  I am not quite so sure.  Maybe at half the price I would still be being robbed, but the black version looks really good on the GM1 and it is small and light. However as mentioned elsewhere the Sigma Art lenses are screaming bargains and can be bought off the shelf in Australia with literally overnight delivery.  Bought one afternoon and delivered up the coast next day to my door.  They work pretty well if my tired old eyesight is any judge.  A set of three for half the price of one black Olympus 12/2.0.  (19/30/60 - all f2.8 and physically larger but just as well built, all black, good looking, with hoods and proper cases instead of a simple soft pouch).   CR Kennedy "rocks".

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Guy Parsons
Like?
Zoom is good for me.
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 4 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Where the 12/2.0 does excel is that it is small and a very good low light lens - for that purpose alone as much as its general acceptable performance for general purpose use it is worth having. But the Sigma Art lenses have a far better cost/performance ratio.

In my case I needed a good 12mm but the price made me hesitate and I was learning that primes aren't really needed for me. The E-PL5 sensor lifted the low light performance and AF to where primes were not a factor for me, even was good with the kit lenses.

Next along came the 12-40/2.8 and its better edge to edge than the 12/2 lens at wide open and the "sacrifice" of f/2.0 to f/2.8 means nothing to me as far as low light is concerned.

Chunky size is a problem for some but for me made the E-PL5 into an excellent nice bulk and mass to hand-hold and seems to allow slower shutter speeds before I need to indulge in IBIS. It still fits in my small snoot bag along with flash and the 45-150mm for when I want light travel so is no problem at all to carry all day.

Regards.... Guy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads