Sunset @ Penang (My first experience with 12-40)

Started 3 months ago | Photos
R V C
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Sunset @ Penang (My first experience with 12-40)
3 months ago

Hello!
Yesterday I got a chance to actually experience the sunset at Penang. It is a pleasing idyllic place and the atmosphere was serene. Took tons of pictures and here are my favourite.

All pictures are OOC! No edditing or cropping.

Hope you enjoy them. :))

1) Dramatic Tones, A forlorne waterski..probably up for repairs...with its natural eliment behind it.

2) I know some people are not going to like it, but the effects are intended and I love how it looks. (pop part mode)

3) This is for the people who like the natural version better. (Neutral mode)

4) Dramatic Mode again... I have fallen in love with this mode. :))

5) My top favourite...please tell me why, I cant figure it out..:)

-- hide signature --

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly until you learn to do it well."
-- Zig Ziglar

R V C's gear list:R V C's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
Re: Sunset @ Penang (My first experience with 12-40)
In reply to R V C, 3 months ago

Some really nice images from you once again !

My favourite of the series is the 2nd last one, the dramatic tone one.

I considered the Art filters just a gimmick at first when I got my E-M10, but started playing a bit with it yesterday and must admit I liked it. Made me feel like a kid again I can see myself using it in future !

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olydude
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?

The last one provides a visual element in the midground as well in the background. Rather than having your eyes drift out into the expanses of the horizon you have something that focuses your attention in the shot. I love expansive landscapes as much as the next person and I shoot a lot of them, but your viewer can get disoriented particularly with a 24mm wide shot.

You've also framed it at 18mm (36mm) which allows the eye to adjust to the shot more naturally using your central and peripheral vision. As you progress past 35mm you should notice that yours eye strain to encompass everything that is in the shot, sometimes this can be used for dramatic effect at other times its a hindrance to the shot as your viewer starts to become disoriented.

Olydude's gear list:Olydude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Denisio Fabuloso
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to Olydude, 3 months ago

I wonder where in Penang you took those... anywhere near Telok Bahang? I really loved Penang in the 70's... Georgetown was then my fave SE Asian city. Very few high rises and lots of fab cheap old Chinese hotels. I'm sure it aint like that anymore! Denisio

R V C
Like?
In reply to Denisio Fabuloso, 3 months ago

Denisio Fabuloso wrote:

I wonder where in Penang you took those... anywhere near Telok Bahang? I really loved Penang in the 70's... Georgetown was then my fave SE Asian city. Very few high rises and lots of fab cheap old Chinese hotels. I'm sure it aint like that anymore! Denisio

I took them near Batu Ferrenghi, stayed at a hotel called Bay View, dont know if it was there when you knew the area. Some places have not changed much, I would assume. However there are lots fo tall buildings and the traffic is horrendous. umm..about cheap..Not anymore..probably one of the most expensive places after KL.

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,917Gear list
Like?
Fun with the Sun(set)

Love that "neutral" shot. Generally, I prefer to set the WB to cloudy and under-expose a bit.

If I want dramatic effects, I will apply them in post using Topaz Adjust.

Yes, the paraglider pic is a grabber! Why? Well, nice composition, unusual sky background, um…

LOOK, IT'S GRABBER, OKAY?

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,543Gear list
Like?
Penang
In reply to Denisio Fabuloso, 3 months ago

Denisio Fabuloso wrote:

Yes, Penang was great then. Was 1972(?) when my wife an I visited. They were just starting to break ground for those big coastal hotels, so the old charm was soon going to largely disappear.

Another place on that trip was Malacca, gorgeous and creakingly ancient feel to it. Went back many years later... ugh... should leave memories as they are and never go back.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,543Gear list
Like?
Re: Penang
In reply to Guy Parsons, 3 months ago

Oh and I nearly forgot one Penang memory already....

A few doors from the hotel was an opium den in full operation and another was a woodworking shop that made large loudspeaker enclosures and also coffins, with both on display out the front.

Regards... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Olyroo
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

My favorites are the dramatic tones pair. They bring up the foreground whereas the neutral version is a bit too dark. Probably could be corrected in LR though. Nice place, lucky you.

Olyroo's gear list:Olyroo's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593
Like?

R V C wrote:

Hello!
Yesterday I got a chance to actually experience the sunset at Penang. It is a pleasing idyllic place and the atmosphere was serene. Took tons of pictures and here are my favourite.

All pictures are OOC! No edditing or cropping.

Hope you enjoy them. :))

I know some people are not going to like it, but the effects are intended and I love how it looks. (pop part mode)

3) This is for the people who like the natural version better. (Neutral mode)

4) Dramatic Mode again... I have fallen in love with this mode. :))

5) My top favourite...please tell me why, I cant figure it out..:)

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

While all your photos were good, to me this one stands out as best and is excellent.

Thomas Niemann
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,064
Like?
How to get sharper images

Nice images.

Note that diffraction can result when the lens is stopped down. For a 4/3 camera, and allowing for large prints, using an aperture wider than f/8 is advisable. Visit this calculator, click on Show Advanced, and try some values.

For a 16mm lens if you focus 10 feet away things will be reasonably sharp from 5 feet to infinity @ f/5.6. Visit this calculator for DOF calculations. One of your images, taken at 16mm, was shot at f/22.

GeorgianBay1939
Senior MemberPosts: 2,164Gear list
Like?

Good to see you experimenting with your camera.   Also good to see your self-criticism which is much more valuable than the opinions of others (such as what follows!)

I also engaged with the last image more than the others (to the point where I looked at it full size) probably because it had a subject that was more interesting (to me) than the others.  The  best part of a  sunset picture is the recollection of being there, and is therefore of more interest to the photographer than the casual viewer.

To me ...  the last image has an engaging subject, good composition* and great colour.  However, to be candid, it has a technical fault .... lots of noise.   I suspect that you shot that in JPEG and processed it to lift the darks.

So it is time for you to free yourself of the camera's  exposure meter and to use the EM-1's other exposure aids (histogram, blinkies) to determine your exposure in RAW.  If you haven't already done so, read Gollywops excellent article on Exposure Vs Brightening to free yourself of many misconceptions on the topic.

Most importantly ... have fun.

Tom

*composition .... if you shot another frame a few seconds later I would love to see it.  The towboat and paraglider would be a bit closer together, leading the viewer's eye deeper into the image.  Timing is of the essence when getting this kind of image.  Either that or "spray and pray", using slow burst mode.

I hope this helps.

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
JacquesC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389
Like?
Thanks for the link to the excellent article! (n/t)
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 3 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

R V C
Like?
In reply to JacquesC, 3 months ago

Hi jacques, thanks for appreciating the pictures.

Some really nice images from you once again !

My favourite of the series is the 2nd last one, the dramatic tone one.

I do agree that even i considerd the art filters as gimmicks but when i started experimenting with the camera and later to be very selective about where i used them! i really loved the results

I considered the Art filters just a gimmick at first when I got my E-M10, but started playing a bit with it yesterday and must admit I liked it. Made me feel like a kid again I can see myself using it in future !

Enjoy your camera. Its a good one, i would have prefered it to Em5(used) but it wasent weather sealed. Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
In reply to Olydude, 3 months ago

Olydude wrote:

The last one provides a visual element in the midground as well in the background. Rather than having your eyes drift out into the expanses of the horizon you have something that focuses your attention in the shot. I love expansive landscapes as much as the next person and I shoot a lot of them, but your viewer can get disoriented particularly with a 24mm wide shot.

You've also framed it at 18mm (36mm) which allows the eye to adjust to the shot more naturally using your central and peripheral vision. As you progress past 35mm you should notice that yours eye strain to encompass everything that is in the shot, sometimes this can be used for dramatic effect at other times its a hindrance to the shot as your viewer starts to become disoriented.

Hey Oly, thanks for your insight. I have noticed that the ones i like the most are at around 17 or 18mm.
--
-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
Re: Fun with the Sun(set)
In reply to Hen3ry, 3 months ago

Hey Geoff, thanks for going through the picture, and glad that you like them!

Hen3ry wrote:

Love that "neutral" shot. Generally, I prefer to set the WB to cloudy and under-expose a bit.

I did use Cloudy, but need to work on underexposing the pictures.

If I want dramatic effects, I will apply them in post using Topaz Adjust.

Yes, the paraglider pic is a grabber! Why? Well, nice composition, unusual sky background, um…

LOOK, IT'S GRABBER, OKAY?

OKAY!!!

Cheers, geoff

Cheers mate.

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
Re: Penang
In reply to Guy Parsons, 3 months ago

Guy Parsons wrote:

Oh and I nearly forgot one Penang memory already....

A few doors from the hotel was an opium den in full operation and another was a woodworking shop that made large loudspeaker enclosures and also coffins, with both on display out the front.

Now they have death penatly for drugs!!... But those are great memories...wow loud speakers and coffins....waking up the dead!! lol..

Regards... Guy

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
In reply to Olyroo, 3 months ago

Olyroo wrote:

My favorites are the dramatic tones pair. They bring up the foreground whereas the neutral version is a bit too dark. Probably could be corrected in LR though. Nice place, lucky you.

Thanks dude.. glad you liked them, Now i have to save for a good laptop so i can PP. The needs never end..sigh..:-)

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
In reply to howardfuhrman, 3 months ago

howardfuhrman wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

While all your photos were good, to me this one stands out as best and is excellent.

Thanks Howard, glad you liked the picture.

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

R V C
Like?
Re: How to get sharper images
In reply to Thomas Niemann, 3 months ago

Thomas Niemann wrote:

Nice images.

Note that diffraction can result when the lens is stopped down. For a 4/3 camera, and allowing for large prints, using an aperture wider than f/8 is advisable. Visit this calculator, click on Show Advanced, and try some values.

For a 16mm lens if you focus 10 feet away things will be reasonably sharp from 5 feet to infinity @ f/5.6. Visit this calculator for DOF calculations. One of your images, taken at 16mm, was shot at f/22.

Hi Thomas, Thanks for your advice, appreciate it. and thanks for the link, now i have it on shortcut. . The f22 was a concious choice as the dramatic tones change as i change the exposure (shutter speed or apperture) and that was the best i liked, however in hindsight maybe i should have kept the apperture around 5.6 to 8 and upped the shutter speed. Oh well I learn something everyday!

Thanks and Cheers!!

-- hide signature --

-- Zig Ziglar

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads