12-50 on EM1 ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Franz Weber
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
12-50 on EM1 ?
4 months ago

Hi,

curently I am using my 12-35 2.8 on my EM1 as the main lens.

But sometimes I find 35mm too short in certain situations. So I wonder wich lens could be a good walkabout solution for the Em1 for outdoor shooting when trvaveling.

The Panasonic 14-140 II has decent image quality but I would miss the 12 on the wide end.

Two years ago I used the 12-50 on my Em5, but ended up selling it because of CA issues and slow apperture.

I wonder if the new Image processing of the Em1 compensates the downsides of the 12-50mm so that it would be an appropiate solution.

Who actually uses the 12-50mm on the EM1 and what do you think about it?

Franz

-- hide signature --

allways look on the bright side of live!

Franz Weber's gear list:Franz Weber's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,350
Like?
Re: 12-50 on EM1 ?
In reply to Franz Weber, 4 months ago

Franz Weber wrote:

Hi,

But sometimes I find 35mm too short in certain situations. So I wonder wich lens could be a good walkabout solution for the Em1 for outdoor shooting when trvaveling.

The Panasonic 14-140 II has decent image quality but I would miss the 12 on the wide end.

Two years ago I used the 12-50 on my Em5, but ended up selling it because of CA issues and slow apperture.

I wonder if the new Image processing of the Em1 compensates the downsides of the 12-50mm so that it would be an appropiate solution.

Franz

-- hide signature --

I think the 12-50 sucks because it sucks, and not because of the camera it's used on.  I see many photos posted from the 12-50 that were taken at 12mm that have blurry corners and edges, even noticeable on web-sized images.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, 4 months ago

My used purchased 12-50 works fine on my GH3 GH1 GF3 and EPL2.  Picked it up from ebay for a really good price even.

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
gugarci
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim T, 4 months ago

Unfortunately since it's kit lens it get bashed. It's not a great lens but it's good useful lens. 24-100mm on mico4/3 with some macro capabilities. Just a little too slow for my taste on the long end. Look for a used one since they are plenty of used ones around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPFNgDb-E0

gugarci's gear list:gugarci's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699
Like?

If you can snap one up at a good price then go for it.

People go on about just how slow it is, its only very slightly slower than most other kit lenses by a paltry 1/3 of a stop and in most cases its perfectly sharp enough.

Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699
Like?

sigala1 wrote:

Franz Weber wrote:

Hi,

Franz

-- hide signature --

I think the 12-50 sucks because it sucks, and not because of the camera it's used on. I see many photos posted from the 12-50 that were taken at 12mm that have blurry corners and edges, even noticeable on web-sized images.

9x out of 10 its the photographers that are using it that really suck

bradevans
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 4 months ago

Check the Olympus site - i got a refurbed 12-50 for $200

bradevans's gear list:bradevans's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Paulmorgan, 4 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

If you can snap one up at a good price then go for it.

People go on about just how slow it is, its only very slightly slower than most other kit lenses by a paltry 1/3 of a stop and in most cases its perfectly sharp enough.

I agree that the "speed" of the lens is perfectly adequate for a lot of photography. Too bad the IQ sucks.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,278
Like?

Anecdotally, there seems to be sample variation among 12-50 copies, at least based on forum comments. Have found it a good all-around "standard" travel lens, but painfully slow in aperture. It works as well on the E-M1 as the E-M5 but have only shot to any extent with it on the older camera. If you need 12mm, then it would warrant a place in your bag as an affordable option to the 12-35/12-40/12-2.0. Have not decided whether to keep mine, as I have two of those three.

E-M5+mZD12-50

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,965Gear list
Like?

Franz Weber wrote:

Hi,

If you already have the 12-35, a better idea than the 12-50 would be a 45/1.8 in your pocket as a supplement to the 12-35 for when you need a tad longer (and perhaps a tad faster too). Other options include the Sigma 60/2.8 or, if you have large pockets, the 40-150/4-5.6.

Franz

-- hide signature --

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
neofx19
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

The 12-50mm perhaps is arguably one of the most under-rated lens. I purchased a used one online and I am pleased with the results I am getting with my copy. If you need a little inspiration have a look here...

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=24326&page=58

I use mine with my EM1 and I am happy. Cheap (when bought used or as a kit), fast and silent focusing, weather sealed, powerzoom for video, lightweight and relatively reasonable range (24-100mm). If you can buy it used, its worth it IMO.

neofx19's gear list:neofx19's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +8 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,614Gear list
Like?

I can see absolutely no reason to get a 12-50 if you already have a 12-35. If you want that additional reach, use the 12-35 and crop. I'm sure the results will be better.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Franz Weber
Like?
Thanks everybody
In reply to neofx19, 4 months ago

Thank you everybody. Many differnt answers and appoaches, but each of them appeciated.

-- hide signature --

DonTom
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?

Franz Weber wrote:

Hi,

Franz

-- hide signature --

Personally, I am happy with the 12-50 on my E-M1, but I'm not really a pixel-peeper: I find that it produces good prints up to A2 size or so.

Having some macro ability is good, as is the weather sealing.

But you've already tried it, and didn't like it. So don't go there again, I would agree with an above poster and suggest carrying an additional, longer lens. The 45/1.8 is brilliant, and tiny. Or the 60/2.8 macro would also be a good choice.

DonTom's gear list:DonTom's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Taj123
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?

You must have had a bad copy - the IQ on mine is good and the macro is superb

Taj123's gear list:Taj123's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot A1400 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +9 more
MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?

It's better than its reputation but as you already have the 12-35/2, 8 I think you will be disappointed. Better to crop.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Franz Weber
Like?
Thanks Anders
In reply to Anders W, 4 months ago

I have tried the 45/1.8 and it did give me exactly what I was looking for.

Toa bad that I have to swap lenses now when traveling.

-- hide signature --

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,965Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks Anders

Franz Weber wrote:

I have tried the 45/1.8 and it did give me exactly what I was looking for.

Glad to hear that! I think it's pretty much a must-have. Very good quality at a very good price and diminutive bulk/weight. And it does give you a bit of extra speed on top of the longer reach in comparison with what your 12-35/2.8 can deliver.

Toa bad that I have to swap lenses now when traveling.

Yes, I know what you mean. I also prefer to have my standard zoom reach a bit longer than 70 mm EFL (35 on MFT). The Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 I used with my Pentax APS-C DSLR was great from that point of view (although not from all others). And the Panasonic 14-45/3.5-5.6 that I have so far used with MFT has been all right with respect to long-end reach as well. We'll see how it works out with the Oly 12-40/2.8 I bought recently. Less reach than I'd want but at least a few mm more than the 12-35. Still, I'd have liked it even better if it had been 12-50 or so, even at the loss of that constant f/2.8 aperture.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
sigala1
Like?
In reply to Taj123, 4 months ago

Taj123 wrote:

You must have had a bad copy - the IQ on mine is good and the macro is superb

Perhaps. Unfortunately too many of my m43 lenses are "bad copies."

Luckily, my 14-42mm IIR and 9-18mm are good copies. And my 17mm f.1.8 is a good copy after I returned the first one.

kenez1
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to MatsP, 4 months ago

I use mine on my EM-1 when I want to go light. I think it does a respectable job and is somewhat underrated.  In general though I prefer my 14-54mm 4/3 lens on the EM-1.  One other advantage of the 12-50mm though is that the new firmware update allows remote controlled zooming with this lens using the OI. Share app.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads