G15: Under exposed photos

Started 2 months ago | Questions
vka
vka
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
G15: Under exposed photos
2 months ago

Lately I have observed that whenever I take picture on a sunny day, I usually get an under exposed picture. Mostly I take picture in 'P' mode. Rest of the settings being set to default.

NOTE: My camera went through a repair in the past when i broke the lens barrel. It was done by an authorized canon repair center.

Questions :

1. Could it be related to repair done?

2. Or my handling of the camera? As I am pretty new to using Canon G15. My last camera was Panasonic TZ8.

Attached are some photos I took last Saturday @ Legoland, Windsor. It was bright and sunny but most of the photo i took came out underexposed. Also when I tried using EV dial from '+1/3 '- '+1', then they were coming overblown.

If you see sky, it looks overcast but it was quite bright.

Same with this image, sky looks overcast but it was quite bright on that day.

Animal Farm: Same it looks quite pale, and sky looks overcast.

Thanks for your help.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Hurt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325Gear list
Like?
Re: G15: Under exposed photos
In reply to vka, 2 months ago

Hard to say, as I Always shoot in TV Mode, ISO normally 100 or 125, & do not change the settings, unless I have to, in which case I use the exposure compensation dial & slightly overexpose - I take more than one image when I do this - always shoot in Jpeg & for outdoors on sunny days, I shoot my colours in P to emulate slide film.  For people(indoors or outdoors) I change to N & outside on a bright cloudy day, I may shoot in V - Vivid.  I've had my G15 since December 2012, & it is my go-to camera when I don't want to use my 50D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Tolputt
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hurt, 2 months ago

Have you checked the exposure compensation dial ? I once spend a whole day shooting with it set to -1 EV and got similar results.

Robert Tolputt's gear list:Robert Tolputt's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +1 more
vka
vka
Like?
In reply to Robert Tolputt, 2 months ago

Have you checked the exposure compensation dial ? I once spend a whole day shooting with it set to -1 EV and got similar results.

Hi Robert. Yes it was at zero and I have overexpose a bit when I checked the images a underexposed. I was just wondering if this is something common. Or if I am not knowing something about G15 usage which I should know.

ob27
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

ND filter is on, perhaps?

willvan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,996
Like?
In reply to ob27, 2 months ago

Has the metering mode on your camera found its way to spot rather than evaluative or center weighted average, perhaps during repair service?  I took a couple of outside shots just now with similar results to what you are getting when I changed from evaluative to spot metering.  The change will be more noticeable if you happen to meter on a white or bright surface when in spot metering.

Bill

vka
vka
Like?
In reply to ob27, 2 months ago

ND filter is on, perhaps?

Checked. It's off.

vka
vka
Like?
In reply to willvan, 2 months ago

Has the metering mode on your camera found its way to spot rather than evaluative or center weighted average, perhaps during repair service?  I took a couple of outside shots just now with similar results to what you are getting when I changed from evaluative to spot metering.  The change will be more noticeable if you happen to meter on a white or bright surface when in spot metering.

Bill

Metering mode is set to evaluative and ND filter is off. Actually just to make sure that I didn't meddle with any of "unknown" camera settings, I did reset all my settings in camera last Saturday but it did not change the results as they were still under-exposed.

hifly
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?

In past Canon models I used to underexpose my pictures by -1/3 almost always by default - but with recent models including the G15 I practically never need to underexpose.

I think Canon have improved their metering re less blown highlights.

But on your camera there may be a discrepancy in the calibration.

vka
vka
Like?
In reply to hifly, 2 months ago

In past Canon models I used to underexpose my pictures by -1/3 almost always by default - but with recent models including the G15 I practically never need to underexpose.

I think Canon have improved their metering re less blown highlights.

But on your camera there may be a discrepancy in the calibration.

Could that be because it has undergone repair as I mentioned in my earlier post? As it was canon authorised centre I assumed they would do a thorough check.

Is that something related with firmware/software which I can fix ? Or something related with hardware for which I need to send it back to repair?

Thanks.

J_dpr
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?

Not that is any help but colors are also way off. (Extreme green cast at least on the first shot) I would send it back to the repair shop.

vka
vka
Like?
In reply to J_dpr, 2 months ago

Not that is any help but colors are also way off. (Extreme green cast at least on the first shot) I would send it back to the repair shop.

Thanks. That's what I am going to do.

Just wanted to make sure that it is not something related with camer settings which is causing it. And if there are other people who faced the same.

David Hurt
Like?

Definately send it back.  Hope it gets corrected for you.

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,647Gear list
Like?

Are you absolutely sure you did not, by mistake, have your camera in Tv mode?  I say that because of the shutter speed which is the same between the first two images.  That would explain the f/2.8 aperture too.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
David Hurt
Like?

I worked on it some in Elements 9.  Your images seem to have a Green tint to them.

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,518Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, 2 months ago

Olga Johnson wrote:

Are you absolutely sure you did not, by mistake, have your camera in Tv mode? I say that because of the shutter speed which is the same between the first two images. That would explain the f/2.8 aperture too.

Good thought, Olga.  That's the way it looks to me also.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads