Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Cameranoobie
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
Re: You amaze me
In reply to darklamp, 7 months ago

darklamp wrote:

I had predicted that when you got this lens you would be back in short order complaining that it did not take better shots that your kit lens.

I was apparently wrong.

You haven't even gotten as far as using the bloody lens.

Put the lens on your camera and start taking photos with it.

The dust you are obsessing over ( seriously ? ) will not in any way interfere with the formation of the image.

i have used the lens.  Used it last night Boss.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hjr13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 7 months ago

If having the dust bothers you, return it. It will probably be in the back of your mind if you don't. Personally, if the lens is sharp and the dust doesn't show up, which I doubt it will I'd keep it.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,567
Like?
And ...

.. was there anything obviously wrong with the resulting images ( that wasn't likely your own fault ) ?

That's the sole criteria you can judge the lens by, IMO.

Cameranoobie
Like?
Re: And ...
In reply to darklamp, 7 months ago

darklamp wrote:

.. was there anything obviously wrong with the resulting images ( that wasn't likely your own fault ) ?

Not at all.  But it just bothers me when theres dust on the inner element out of the box.  Unacceptable for a $1000 lens.  If it has dust from the factory, i worry about how it will look a month from now.  This is why im taking off the lens everyday and sticking my flashlight in it to inspect.  You may say that im anal about this, but im sure im not the only one.

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to hjr13, 7 months ago

hjr13 wrote:

If having the dust bothers you, return it. It will probably be in the back of your mind if you don't. Personally, if the lens is sharp and the dust doesn't show up, which I doubt it will I'd keep it.

Im most likely not going to swap it out.  Read online in another forum that one member went through 5 brand new copies and all 5 had dust specs on the inner element.  WOW.

Is Canon putting these together in the desert or something?

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,823
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Not at all. But it just bothers me when theres dust on the inner element out of the box. Unacceptable for a $1000 lens. If it has dust from the factory, i worry about how it will look a month from now. This is why im taking off the lens everyday and sticking my flashlight in it to inspect. You may say that im anal about this, but im sure im not the only one.

What you're going through is probably not uncommon for someone relatively new to a DSLR and a high-value lens purchase. Over time you'll probably learn that some dust in a lens is relatively common and doesn't affect the photos.

There are lenses with reputations for collecting dust, the EF 100-400mm L is one of the more well known. It's a push-pull zoom, frequently called the Dust Pump - lots of posts about internal dust, and lots of posts how it doesn't affect the photography.

I have 11 Canon lenses from wide angle to super telephoto and don't remember when I last checked for internal dust, mostly I just clean the front elements once in a while, and then only when needed.

You can use your flashlight for better things

Cheers,
Doug

FrancoD
Contributing MemberPosts: 547
Like?
Re: Definitely return the lens
In reply to jess shudup, 7 months ago

I'm just happy for the E Bay guy that did not sell him his SH lens.

Mind you I think someone did mention possible buyer remore coming up....

Yes, life can be difficult, particularly if we make it so.

samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

So this is why im sticking a flashlight in mine everyday to see.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that's how you use a camera lens...

IMHO complaining that a lens has some dust inside is like opening a new box of tea bags and complaining it has dust inside. I understand it may be disturbing to realize that a brand new thing is not the perfect, hand-picked, extra polished tool with no blemishes, but that's the reality of it. Lenses aren't made by the same people who create processors where they can't be any dust. Even Leica users say they find dust in  new lenses.

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to samfan, 7 months ago

samfan wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

So this is why im sticking a flashlight in mine everyday to see.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that's how you use a camera lens...

IMHO complaining that a lens has some dust inside is like opening a new box of tea bags and complaining it has dust inside. I understand it may be disturbing to realize that a brand new thing is not the perfect, hand-picked, extra polished tool with no blemishes, but that's the reality of it. Lenses aren't made by the same people who create processors where they can't be any dust. Even Leica users say they find dust in new lenses.

Oh I see.  Is Leica lenses high end lenses?

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to Doug J, 7 months ago

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Not at all. But it just bothers me when theres dust on the inner element out of the box. Unacceptable for a $1000 lens. If it has dust from the factory, i worry about how it will look a month from now. This is why im taking off the lens everyday and sticking my flashlight in it to inspect. You may say that im anal about this, but im sure im not the only one.

What you're going through is probably not uncommon for someone relatively new to a DSLR and a high-value lens purchase. Over time you'll probably learn that some dust in a lens is relatively common and doesn't affect the photos.

There are lenses with reputations for collecting dust, the EF 100-400mm L is one of the more well known. It's a push-pull zoom, frequently called the Dust Pump - lots of posts about internal dust, and lots of posts how it doesn't affect the photography.

I have 11 Canon lenses from wide angle to super telephoto and don't remember when I last checked for internal dust, mostly I just clean the front elements once in a while, and then only when needed.

Cheers,
Doug

Wont dust over time risk scratching the lens?  Yes im sure i come across as paranoid sticking a flashlight down the lens everyday.

Doug J
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Wont dust over time risk scratching the lens? Yes im sure i come across as paranoid sticking a flashlight down the lens everyday.

Nope. Some bits of dust on a lens element, inside or outside, will not damage the element as they just sit there. Rub them as part of a less-than appropriate cleaning process and some of the particles may scratch the coating or element.

There's too much worry and concern about dust from photogs starting out, it rarely affects the final photos. A bit of dust internally in your lens is nothing to worry about, I suggest you focus on more important aspects of your photography.

In a few years time I expect that you'll look back on these days and smile, having learned more about the craft and shooting what you enjoy.

Don't waste your flashlight batteries, spend the time shooting, learning and enjoying.

Cheers,
Doug

alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

hjr13 wrote:

Im most likely not going to swap it out. Read online in another forum that one member went through 5 brand new copies and all 5 had dust specs on the inner element. WOW.

It it most likely the lens are collecting dust because they are expensive.

Many photographers would prefer cheaper alternative that won't burnt a hole in their wallet.

Cameranoobie
Like?

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Wont dust over time risk scratching the lens? Yes im sure i come across as paranoid sticking a flashlight down the lens everyday.

Nope. Some bits of dust on a lens element, inside or outside, will not damage the element as they just sit there. Rub them as part of a less-than appropriate cleaning process and some of the particles may scratch the coating or element.

There's too much worry and concern about dust from photogs starting out, it rarely affects the final photos. A bit of dust internally in your lens is nothing to worry about, I suggest you focus on more important aspects of your photography.

In a few years time I expect that you'll look back on these days and smile, having learned more about the craft and shooting what you enjoy.

Don't waste your flashlight batteries, spend the time shooting, learning and enjoying.

Cheers,
Doug

Good point. Ok im going to do that and not be too caught up about sticking a flashlight through the lens everyday.

When I took it out Sat night for the first time, I even used a soft cloth to wipe the barrel each time i zoomed out and back in.  And kept the lens facing right to the ground even when walking so dust doesnt get inside.

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to alpha90290, 7 months ago

alpha90290 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

hjr13 wrote:

Im most likely not going to swap it out. Read online in another forum that one member went through 5 brand new copies and all 5 had dust specs on the inner element. WOW.

Many photographers would prefer cheaper alternative that won't burnt a hole in their wallet.

I dont get it, what do you mean?

Doug J
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Cheers,
Doug

Good point. Ok im going to do that and not be too caught up about sticking a flashlight through the lens everyday.

When I took it out Sat night for the first time, I even used a soft cloth to wipe the barrel each time i zoomed out and back in. And kept the lens facing right to the ground even when walking so dust doesnt get inside.

You're already looking at the photos you shoot and analyzing them for what you like and dislike, and what you would like to see improved. These last bits on dust, etc. will free up more time to focus on what you're shooting. Well done.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug J
Like?
In reply to alpha90290, 7 months ago

alpha90290 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

hjr13 wrote:

Can you kindly explain how your comment relates to the OP's post?

Cheers,
Doug

alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

Doug J wrote:

alpha90290 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

hjr13 wrote:

Can you kindly explain how your comment relates to the OP's post?

Cheers,
Doug

I am replying to his question "Is Canon putting these together in the desert or something?"

The canon 17-55 2.8 is not the cheapest lens. There are alternatives, which are more value for money. This was discuss in another thread started by OP.

Cameranoobie
Like?

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Cheers,
Doug

When I took it out Sat night for the first time, I even used a soft cloth to wipe the barrel each time i zoomed out and back in. And kept the lens facing right to the ground even when walking so dust doesnt get inside.

You're already looking at the photos you shoot and analyzing them for what you like and dislike, and what you would like to see improved. These last bits on dust, etc. will free up more time to focus on what you're shooting. Well done.

Cheers,
Doug

Well aside, from me wiping the barrel everytime with a cloth to get rid of any loose dust haha.

Whats the best way to check my lens to make sure its sharp all around in all focal ranges?  I just want a simple method.  Whats the best thing to use as reference in my pics?

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,494Gear list
Like?
Have you tried shooting with it?

Did you buy a lens to inspect it with a flashlight or shoot photos with it?  I suggest shooting under various conditions and various f-stops to see if the dust shows in the images.  If not, it's nothing to worry about.

Mark

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,494Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

darklamp wrote:

Cheers,
Doug

Wont dust over time risk scratching the lens?

Not unless they are large grains of sand or pebbles.

Yes im sure i come across as paranoid sticking a flashlight down the lens everyday.

Well...yes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads