Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Cameranoobie
Regular MemberPosts: 304
Like?
Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?
3 months ago

i wasnt too happy when i opened the brand new box a few days ago ,zoomed out the barrel, stuck a flashlight  from the top and saw about 30 tiny particles of very light dust on the inner section of the lens.  It was all on the circular ring part.  Its not behind the outter part of the lens, but the part behind it.  Basically you have to zoom out fully to see all of them, otherwise you dont notice it.  Its also pretty hard to see them without a flashlight shining through the lens.

would you go back to the store, open a new one while there to see if that one has dust ipon the inner element?  If it does, ill keep the one i have now. If it doesnt ill swap it,

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,452Gear list
Like?
Re: Should i exchange my canon 17-55 2.8 for another one? Would you?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 3 months ago

Sure, you could go back and inspect another lens but the 17-55f/2.8 is known for acquiring dust and installing a filter will not prevent more from getting in. The good thing is that a little bit of dust won't affect your images.......

........when you get enough where it bothers you send it in for cleaning before the warranty expires.

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085Gear list
Like?
 phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, 3 months ago

Hank3152 wrote:

Sure, you could go back and inspect another lens but the 17-55f/2.8 is known for acquiring dust and installing a filter will not prevent more from getting in. The good thing is that a little bit of dust won't affect your images.......

........when you get enough where it bothers you send it in for cleaning before the warranty expires.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

I decided not to get a filter because it wont prevent any dust from getting in, plus im not spending those ridiculous amounts on one.

I do think that a $1000 lens shouldnt have any dust out of the box.  To have dust inside out of the box is just unacceptable.  I know it wont affect image quality, but why get a head start with dust already inside when its never been used?

Each time im using mine, im monitoring it everyday to see if theres anymore dust.  From my research reading online, people either have one where it attracts dust like crazy and others have ones where they claim they have no dust inside and attracts no dust over time.  So this is why im sticking a flashlight in mine everyday to see.

alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

I believe some one in the other thread, already warned you that this lens is a dust sucker.

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to alpha90290, 3 months ago

alpha90290 wrote:

I believe some one in the other thread, already warned you that this lens is a dust sucker.

Yes i know but after reading online, there have been some owners saying that they got a good one and done have any dust.

But to have dust inside right out of the box, to me that just seems ridiculous no?  Maybe im the only one, but brand new means unused, never been used...so how theres already dust inside is beyond me.

Hank3152
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

I do think that a $1000 lens shouldnt have any dust out of the box. To have dust inside out of the box is just unacceptable. I know it wont affect image quality, but why get a head start with dust already inside when its never been used?

I'm sure you can even find dust or even debris on an L lens if you look hard enough with a flashlight.......under normal circumstances they wouldn't be visible to the naked eye and surely not visible on the resulting image.......

........using a flashlight on the 17-55 makes it appear even worse than it actually is.......

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,155Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

alpha90290 wrote:

Yes i know but after reading online, there have been some owners saying that they got a good one and done have any dust.

But to have dust inside right out of the box, to me that just seems ridiculous no? Maybe im the only one, but brand new means unused, never been used...so how theres already dust inside is beyond me.

The ones  that said they got a 'good' one probably didn't shine a flashlight into their lens.  If you don't have lint size stuff you are fine.  You should be more concerned if you 17-55 f2.8 is sharp all the way around.  If your expectation is that you will get a perfectly dust free lens that is perfectly sharp at wide aperture at all focal lengths, you will be dissapointed.  You may find some owners saying they found such a thing but probably they are just easier to please.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Cameranoobie
Like?

Hank3152 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

I do think that a $1000 lens shouldnt have any dust out of the box. To have dust inside out of the box is just unacceptable. I know it wont affect image quality, but why get a head start with dust already inside when its never been used?

I'm sure you can even find dust or even debris on an L lens if you look hard enough with a flashlight.......under normal circumstances they wouldn't be visible to the naked eye and surely not visible on the resulting image.......

........using a flashlight on the 17-55 makes it appear even worse than it actually is.......

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Oh serious?  I didnt know that.

So the flashlight exagerates it?

Im guessing most people who are checking for dust in their 17-55 dont (or didnt) use a flashlight?

Boomanbb
Contributing MemberPosts: 589Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, 3 months ago

It is very unlikely that dust inside the lens will have any effect on your photos unless it is the size of lint balls.

Ben

-- hide signature --

Disagree without being disagreeable

Boomanbb's gear list:Boomanbb's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, 3 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

alpha90290 wrote:

But to have dust inside right out of the box, to me that just seems ridiculous no? Maybe im the only one, but brand new means unused, never been used...so how theres already dust inside is beyond me.

The ones that said they got a 'good' one probably didn't shine a flashlight into their lens. If you don't have lint size stuff you are fine. You should be more concerned if you 17-55 f2.8 is sharp all the way around. If your expectation is that you will get a perfectly dust free lens that is perfectly sharp at wide aperture at all focal lengths, you will be dissapointed. You may find some owners saying they found such a thing but probably they are just easier to please.

Oh, so if i went and bought a different canon lenses, and stuck a flashlight through it, i can expect to see some dust on the inner lens?  Im guessing this some from the factory when being made?

how do i check to see if my lens is perfectly sharp at wide ap at all focal lengths?  give me the simpliest way so im not spending hours on it.

thx

70Der
Regular MemberPosts: 326
Like?

i wasnt too happy when i opened the brand new box a few days ago ,zoomed out the barrel, stuck a flashlight  from the top and saw about 30 tiny particles of very light dust on the inner section of the lens.  It was all on the circular ring part.  Its not behind the outter part of the lens, but the part behind it.  Basically you have to zoom out fully to see all of them, otherwise you dont notice it.  Its also pretty hard to see them without a flashlight shining through the lens.

would you go back to the store, open a new one while there to see if that one has dust ipon the inner element?  If it does, ill keep the one i have now. If it doesnt ill swap it,

Told you man, total waste of money that lens is.

Hank3152
Like?
In reply to 70Der, 3 months ago

70Der wrote:

Why not repost your remark in the Canon SLR lens forum and check the responses you'd get.

Have you ever used it? It's one of the highest rated EF-S lenses in Canon's lineup......no comparable EF lens in that focal range to compete with it. The IQ is outstanding......

Check the pro reviews ....

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/178-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f28-usm-is-test-report--review?start=2

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

.......and personal reviews.......

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/303/sort/7/cat/27/page/2

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to 70Der, 3 months ago

70Der wrote:

i wasnt too happy when i opened the brand new box a few days ago ,zoomed out the barrel, stuck a flashlight from the top and saw about 30 tiny particles of very light dust on the inner section of the lens. It was all on the circular ring part. Its not behind the outter part of the lens, but the part behind it. Basically you have to zoom out fully to see all of them, otherwise you dont notice it. Its also pretty hard to see them without a flashlight shining through the lens.

would you go back to the store, open a new one while there to see if that one has dust ipon the inner element? If it does, ill keep the one i have now. If it doesnt ill swap it,

But the lens itself is very good, just minus the dust issues.

how common is the IS dying on them?  Is it as common as the dust?

Cameranoobie
Like?

Hank3152 wrote:

70Der wrote:

Why not repost your remark in the Canon SLR lens forum and check the responses you'd get.

Have you ever used it? It's one of the highest rated EF-S lenses in Canon's lineup......no comparable EF lens in that focal range to compete with it. The IQ is outstanding......

Check the pro reviews ....

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/178-canon-ef-s-17-55mm-f28-usm-is-test-report--review?start=2

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

.......and personal reviews.......

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/303/sort/7/cat/27/page/2

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Hank

Agreed.  Minus the price, i took it out last night with a small group and the IQ is incredible.

jess shudup
Regular MemberPosts: 449
Like?
Re: Definitely return the lens

You will never be happy with the one you have.

When the new one is obtained, definitely return that one too.

Repeat.

By doing so, you will never have to take photographs.

(eww- you mean people take photographs with these ?!)

Photography is so imprecise, compared to acquiring equipment.

ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

Oh serious? I didnt know that.

Im guessing most people who are checking for dust in their 17-55 dont (or didnt) use a flashlight?

How does your kit lens compare using the same dust inspection?  Flashlight look good in the kit lens?

Plenty of videos on youtube on how to clean the 17-55mm lens.  Just an idea for if it gets a lot of dust inside.

That is a down side to online orders.  It is hard to inspect the item before purchase.

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
ZX11
Contributing MemberPosts: 552Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

i wasnt too happy when i opened the brand new box a few days ago ,zoomed out the barrel, stuck a flashlight from the top and saw about 30 tiny particles of very light dust on the inner section of the lens. It was all on the circular ring part. Its not behind the outter part of the lens, but the part behind it. Basically you have to zoom out fully to see all of them, otherwise you dont notice it. Its also pretty hard to see them without a flashlight shining through the lens.

Not sure why it would be dusty already.  However, you did post elsewhere that the lens is performing well.  Exchanging it might just open you up to the risk of getting one with poor image quality (or other issues).

Videos online make it look like cleaning this lens behind the front element is way too easy.  Also, I have read that the front element on the 70-200mm f/4 is only $70 to replace.  If the 17-55mm front element is that affordable, I would forgo the lens filter/protector and just replace the element if it ever gets damaged.  Seeing as you would have mastered removal and replacement of the front element by then

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EOS 700D
darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,077
Like?
You amaze me

I had predicted that when you got this lens you would be back in short order complaining that it did not take better shots that your kit lens.

I was apparently wrong.

You haven't even gotten as far as using the bloody lens.

Put the lens on your camera and start taking photos with it.

The dust you are obsessing over ( seriously ? ) will not in any way interfere with the formation of the image.

Cameranoobie
Like?
In reply to ZX11, 3 months ago

ZX11 wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Oh serious? I didnt know that.

How does your kit lens compare using the same dust inspection? Flashlight look good in the kit lens?

Plenty of videos on youtube on how to clean the 17-55mm lens. Just an idea for if it gets a lot of dust inside.

That is a down side to online orders. It is hard to inspect the item before purchase.

first thing i did was inspect the kit lens and no dust inside.

apparently there is a seal to take off to clean it and it voids the warranty.  But still im flabbergasted that a brand new in box canon $1000 lens has dust on the inner element.  Like seriously.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads