Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,468Gear list
Like?
Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...
4 months ago

I dropped Pentax in 2011 and sold everything except for a faulty *istDS2, predominantly because their quality control is so abysmal.

Out of 20 odd Pentax lenses I had only one, the FA50 f1.4, that appeared to not be badly decentred, or suffer from skewed focus.

My K200D and subsequent K-x could not focus them accurately.

I shifted to Nikon and haven't had any sign of lens issues from the 8 or 9 I have bought.  Most were used, one or two new.

For various reasons I reacquired a K200D (OK, I like CCD output) a week ago and ordered a new DA-FT50 f1.8.  They sell for $159 on eBay via the local importers, but don't tell anyone.

I hooked it up and, you guessed it, left side is sharp on my local railway station, right side is fuzzy.  Since it's eBay I can get my money back, but I would like to think that I could buy a Pentax lens that was straight.

Does anyone else have these problems?  I know many review pages list the numerous attempts to get a non-decentred lens for their testing...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Pentax K200D Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trevor G
Like?
Re: Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Ricoh have not fixed QC issues...
In reply to Trevor G, 4 months ago

To be fair, here's the Nikon.  They sell for about $120 new.

They feel much better and give even results and I have never needed to do a skew test on any lens other than my Pentax ones.

Here's the Nikon 50mm f1.8D on the left:

And the right:

Even across the frame.

What gives, Ricoh??

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Giklab
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

>Even across the frame.

Is this a sarcastic post?

DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626Gear list
Like?
In reply to Giklab, 4 months ago

Yes very disheartening, both my 18-55 kit lenses were decentered, my DA*16-50 a little, however the 17-50 tamron was way off, as was the Sigma 50-150 2.8; Sigma  10-20 4/5.6,Sigma 18-50 EX 2.8 ( rubbishly), even my DA 21 3.2 was decentered( pentax sent me a new one).

Lenses I've bought that were not decentered; FA 50 1.4; S/H FA* 300 4.5; S/H 105 Macro 2.8, Samyang fisheye and a few S/H manual lenses and that's out of fifteen lenses.

In short 2/3 rds of the the lenses I've bought new or S/H were decentered and were returned.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Richard B.
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Can Pentax make A Decent Lens? Yes.

I have been shooting with:

15mm, 21mm, 40mm, 70mm limiteds, 17-70 f4, 55-300 f4-f5.8 and the 35-105 f3.5. Haven't had a problem with any of them.

-- hide signature --
 Richard B.'s gear list:Richard B.'s gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Giklab, 4 months ago

Giklab wrote:

>Even across the frame.

Is this a sarcastic post?

No.

I'd rather have a slightly less sharp image wide open that is even across the frame than sharp on one side and fuzzy on the other.

Wouldn't you?

It's wide open, by the way.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 4 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

In short 2/3 rds of the the lenses I've bought new or S/H were decentered and were returned.

Funny how some of us have all the baddies...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

Perhaps I have no idea what you are getting at, in which case I apologise in advance. Post the full image so we can get some context.

If you want a real test, shoot a completely flat surface perfectly perpendicular to the normal. Or better, shoot a star field wide open. Focus the center of the image perfectly. You will see various aberations, but they should be equal in magnitude as you get farther from the center. Any decentering will be apparent.

Star test will also reveal this issue IN the center of the image if you defocus. Find a bright star ( must be a star, not Venus ), position it in the center of the frame, then defocus till you have a large disk still visible. It should be a circle, or look like your aperture blades. IF there is actual decentering of any element, it will cause the OOF image disk to have all manner of bad structure, and not be symmetric.

Also if 19 of your 20 lenses have this issue, perhaps the issue is with the camera body.

Do all of the lenes have a right - left focus shift?   And with a top to bottom shift?

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,363
Like?

I've had two badly decentered copies of the DA* 16-50. My current one is slightly decentered, but it is only visible at 100% so I use it.

My copy of the DA 55-300 is slightly decentered, but again, it is only visible at 100%.

I've had no problems with A, F, or FA lenses. The current problem seems to have originated when Pentax switched lens production to Hanoi. Pentax clearly reduced quality control at the same time that they made this move.

In the manufacturing process, I don't understand why it is so hard to place lens elements correctly. Can someone clarify this?

Joe

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Yeah, it is interesting how that happens.

Of the nearly 100 Pentax lenses that I own, I've had no problems that I haven't brought on myself.

jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
Please use better experiment protocol

shallow DOF at f/1.8

subject distance at left vs. right is significantly different.

Please use better experiment protocol.

DAVID MANZE
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 4 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

I've had two badly decentered copies of the DA* 16-50. My current one is slightly decentered, but it is only visible at 100% so I use it.

My copy of the DA 55-300 is slightly decentered, but again, it is only visible at 100%.

I've had no problems with A, F, or FA lenses. The current problem seems to have originated when Pentax switched lens production to Hanoi. Pentax clearly reduced quality control at the same time that they made this move.

In the manufacturing process, I don't understand why it is so hard to place lens elements correctly. Can someone clarify this?

Joe

-- hide signature --

Hi,

It's not a question of placing of elements correctly in the lens body, it's the doublets and triplets which are poorly aligned, ie at pre-assembly they are placed in a machine with a laser light beamed down to show alignment of the elements, the glue has a certain setting time and until the glue sets the top element is floating, often in modern production where time is at an essence the setting time is not respected and the elements misalign before the glue sets and when it does set the damage is done. Most lens manufactures supply "tested" doublets and triplets to their service departments so any decentered lenses can be corrected with new elements. Both Sigma and Tamron service centers have spoken to me on this when I pushed the question about what spares they were awaiting for. That and wobbly plastic lens bodies and you have the ideal recipe for below spec. lenses often at a high percentage ratio.

The bottom line is that it is us the customer who is the quality controller, if we say nothing, nothing will be done, so if you find yourself with a decentered lens send it back, lens manufacturers know they are making lots of below par optics so return them!

Dave's clichés

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,339Gear list
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Some people are more discerning than others.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,806Gear list
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

My second copy of the DA*16-50 also had the same problem while the first had none but had SDM failure so it went back. I lived with it as it was out of warranty and then the sudden death motor happened to the second so I just gave up.

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,415Gear list
Like?

At least the Pentax is sharp on one side.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Younes B
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?
Re: Please use better experiment protocol
In reply to jf_tea, 4 months ago

jf_tea wrote:

shallow DOF at f/1.8

subject distance at left vs. right is significantly different.

Please use better experiment protocol.

+1

Test is not conclusive of decentering.

Younes B's gear list:Younes B's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +6 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,705
Like?
In reply to emem, 4 months ago

emem wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Yes, and some people see problems where none exist, I'm not saying the OP is one of them but there sure are hypochondriacs out there that easily imagine problems which account for some of those who keep getting multitudes of bad lenses.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

justin23
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 4 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

emem wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Yes, and some people see problems where none exist, I'm not saying the OP is one of them but there sure are hypochondriacs out there that easily imagine problems which account for some of those who keep getting multitudes of bad lenses.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Yeah i've not got a bad lens either, however I'm guessing if i do some rigorous testing and pixel peeping, maybe some are not perfect. I just don't notice it with my photos.

Its got to be something other than just bad luck in the OP's case. Whether its in their head a bit so they go looking for issues, emotion plays an important part in it when people are upset about something.

I'm sure there are some valid faulty lenses, but given many have 20+ Pentax lenses without fault, yet the OP who would be in the minority has mostly faulty lenses, something doesn't quite add up.

-- hide signature --

Justin
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/justinwatson

justin23's gear list:justin23's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +11 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to emem, 4 months ago

emem wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Some people have really bad camera hypochondria.

DAVID MANZE
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 4 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

emem wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

If there wasn't this thread it would have been one less post, kinda skeletal round here as it is.

-- hide signature --

BTW. I'm not a hypochondriac; an optichondriac maybe! But it doesn't faze me, rather glass worries than health ones!

Dave's clichés

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads