Canon 5D still worth buying?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
SanjayNair
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Canon 5D still worth buying?
4 months ago

Hello everyone. Was contemplating buying a used 5D classic body which comes at a bargain price, considering I have been wanting to start using FF to get the wider coverage for my landscapes and better depth for portraits. I have been looking at used lenses for it too, and the prices are in the range I can afford at the moment. I am aware it lacks live view and SD card support and the lesser AF points. I dont really use live view expect the time I do astrophotography, which wont really be an issue for me. I will be using my Nikon D5000 as a second body anyways, if something of that sort comes up.

The shutter count of the device I have contacted about, is close to 70k. Any advice would be very much appreciated..Thanks!

Sanjay

www.500px.com/sanjaynair

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Re: Canon 5D still worth buying?
In reply to SanjayNair, 4 months ago

It depend on how the previous owner/owners treated the camera. If it is heavily utilize for wedding or sports action photography. It may have accumulated thousands of shutter counts.

That is why it is sold cheap. The previous owner will expect new owner to change the parts that failed due to wear and tear.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SanjayNair
Like?
In reply to alpha90290, 4 months ago

alpha90290 wrote:

It depend on how the previous owner/owners treated the camera. If it is heavily utilize for wedding or sports action photography. It may have accumulated thousands of shutter counts.

That is why it is sold cheap. The previous owner will expect new owner to change the parts that failed due to wear and tear.

Thanks for the reply. The shutter count is close to 70k and the owner uses it for wildlife, atleast that is what he told me. The price is 650$. From the photos of the body he sent me, it looks slick, but of course , without inspecting it, I wont be able to know. Would be doing it soon. I wanted to know if the old technology still can stand firm among the new cameras, image wise.

PS: Any ways to know while inspecting if any internal parts needs replacement?

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420Gear list
Like?

SanjayNair wrote:

Hello everyone. Was contemplating buying a used 5D classic body which comes at a bargain price, considering I have been wanting to start using FF to get the wider coverage for my landscapes and better depth for portraits. I have been looking at used lenses for it too, and the prices are in the range I can afford at the moment. I am aware it lacks live view and SD card support and the lesser AF points. I dont really use live view expect the time I do astrophotography, which wont really be an issue for me. I will be using my Nikon D5000 as a second body anyways, if something of that sort comes up.

You can compare the sensors here.  What you'll gain over your D5000 is a bit of low light ISO performance but otherwise not much else.  Depth of field will go down, so that may be a disadvantage (for landscape uses) not made up for the usual perks of a FF camera (better color depth, dynamic range, ISO performance) given a much older generation sensor.  You'd be better off getting a used D5300 or a D600.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
alpha90290
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?

SanjayNair wrote:

alpha90290 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The shutter count is close to 70k and the owner uses it for wildlife, atleast that is what he told me. The price is 650$. From the photos of the body he sent me, it looks slick, but of course , without inspecting it, I wont be able to know. Would be doing it soon. I wanted to know if the old technology still can stand firm among the new cameras, image wise.

PS: Any ways to know while inspecting if any internal parts needs replacement?

Some problems may not be detectable visually.

Do you have any lens to test the AF when you receive the camera ?

Do you have any CF cards to test the card reader ?

Do you have any flash unit to test the hot shoe ?

Do the previous owner give you money back guarantee if the camera have too many defects ?

You must also check for fungus and sign of metal corrosion ( due to contact to  salt water )

darklamp
Senior MemberPosts: 3,315
Like?
From bad idea to worse idea

This decision makes me wonder if you even read the advice you were given ( mostly against ) when you suggested moving to a D700 from a D5000.

Whatever advice was given in relation to moving to a D700, moving to an original 5D is certainly not a better idea.

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,694
Like?

SanjayNair wrote:

The shutter count of the device I have contacted about, is close to 70k. Any advice would be very much appreciated..Thanks!

Sanjay

www.500px.com/sanjaynair

For the landscapes I'd say the advantage would be minimal, perhaps you could say the 5D might be able to get away with using cheaper older lenses to give similar performance.

More DOF control would be my #1 reason for buying a 5D over a D5000 today, especially again if your on a tight budget for lenses as well.

SanjayNair
Like?
In reply to MoreorLess, 4 months ago

SanjayNair wrote:

Sanjay

www.500px.com/sanjaynair

For the landscapes I'd say the advantage would be minimal, perhaps you could say the 5D might be able to get away with using cheaper older lenses to give similar performance.

More DOF control would be my #1 reason for buying a 5D over a D5000 today, especially again if your on a tight budget for lenses as well.

Thanks. But how exactly are the lenses cheaper for 5D ? Or did you mean the used ones which I was refering to? And yes,its a tight budget

SanjayNair
Like?
Re: From bad idea to worse idea
In reply to darklamp, 4 months ago

This decision makes me wonder if you even read the advice you were given ( mostly against ) when you suggested moving to a D700 from a D5000.

Whatever advice was given in relation to moving to a D700, moving to an original 5D is certainly not a better idea.

I do remember that. Just that I found a good offer and wanted to know if this would be good,especially because 5D is still considered to be very capable at the highest order.optical wise. Thanks anyways.

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,694
Like?

SanjayNair wrote:

SanjayNair wrote:

Sanjay

www.500px.com/sanjaynair

Thanks. But how exactly are the lenses cheaper for 5D ? Or did you mean the used ones which I was refering to? And yes,its a tight budget

Used would certainly be one option for cheaper lenses.

As far as landscapes go you could potentially pickup some older used ultra wide lenses, performance might not be amazing but on a 12 MP camera it wouldn't show up as much as on say a D800. Of course if cheaper UWA was what you wanted then one alternative might be to get an ASPC canon body used and buy the new 10-18 that's very cheap.

For portraits its more a case of the equivalent DOF tending to be cheaper both new and used. The 50mm 1.8 on a 5D will have a shallower DOF than a Sigma 30mm 1.4 on your D500 whilst both having similar FOV and also being a lot cheaper.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads