RX100 MK3 dimensions

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
Not wrong...
In reply to DFPanno, 5 months ago

..in my experience.

I wear jeans that fit, and the canon S90 is easily pocketable, meaning i can literally slip it into one of the front pockets and forget about it.

The RX100M2 on the other hand, needed to be crammed in there, and it was not comfortable with it in the front pocket while trying to walk up a flight of stairs or with any other fast paced movement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aatom
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 When?
In reply to technic, 5 months ago

Here in England the 'expected' date (15th May) for the arrival of RX100 M3 is drawing to a close.

But no real info or images or release announcement.

So SONY when will it be?

aatom

(RX100 user fan)

aatom's gear list:aatom's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +1 more
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,375Gear list
Like?
Re: It's amazing.
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 5 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

The pop up EVF appears to be similar to the pop up (non bouncing) built in flashes. It should be just as durable (the one on my S90 never has issues). Except I think there may be an extra step to pull the EVF out a bit.

I hope it is as durable, but there is a difference: the EVF probably needs a flatcable with a huge number of wires, more vulnerable than the few leads for a flash. Will be interesting to see how they are making the connection to the EVF.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
technic
Like?
In reply to aatom, 5 months ago

aatom wrote:

Here in England the 'expected' date (15th May) for the arrival of RX100 M3 is drawing to a close.

But no real info or images or release announcement.

So SONY when will it be?

aatom

(RX100 user fan)

Did you skip most of the posts? The official announcement is expected on May 16th, not today. The info we already have is as solid as can be, I have no doubt these are the real images and specs (with maybe a few typing or translation errors); I don't think there is anything to add.

Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
aatom
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

Mea Culpa - thanks Technic tomorrow will prove you right (I hope)

aatom

aatom's gear list:aatom's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Pentax K-x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +1 more
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,533Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to BPD7, 5 months ago

BPD7 wrote:

Funny, I have the x100s. It's not that pocketable. I bought the Rx100 on a sale day for $400. I LOVE this little camera. It's so pocketable. It's the perfect complement to my x100s....

...If I were you I would get the Rx1002 when prices drop some. I wish mine had wifi. I use a wifi SD card so that takes care of that.

Thanks for this perspective! I really appreciate it! However, I don't see big price drops on the horizon.  If the rumors are true that mIII will be the in the $899 range, the current price of the mII is still compelling as is. I think we would see a big clearance on old mI stock though BTW, I do love the wifi on the RX10.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,525Gear list
Like?

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

The pop up EVF appears to be similar to the pop up (non bouncing) built in flashes. It should be just as durable (the one on my S90 never has issues). Except I think there may be an extra step to pull the EVF out a bit.

I hope it is as durable, but there is a difference: the EVF probably needs a flatcable with a huge number of wires, more vulnerable than the few leads for a flash. Will be interesting to see how they are making the connection to the EVF.

Strips. They don't use individual wires. Same for flash. And LCD. Even if it had tiltable EVF, same issue. Collapsing lenses also need it. So it should be a non issue.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
technic
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Strips. They don't use individual wires. Same for flash. And LCD. Even if it had tiltable EVF, same issue. Collapsing lenses also need it. So it should be a non issue.

I think what you call a 'strip' is what I call a 'flatcable'; still, there is a huge difference in the number of wires which means more vulnerable.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

I think what you call a 'strip' is what I call a 'flatcable'; still, there is a huge difference in the number of wires which means more vulnerable.

Not anymore than a plethora of them inside a digital camera: retractable lens, pop up flash unit, articulating LCD (probably most demanding) and pop up or articulating EVF. They are designed for the purpose, and you only need one.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
BertIverson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?
Jason -- Re flimsy pop-up EVF
In reply to Jason Reuschlein, 5 months ago

Jason Reuschlein wrote:

You have to wonder too how durable a pop-up EVF could be. You'd be pressing against it.

Maybe the Sony engineers thought of this possibility and tested it a million times using a robot.

Sort of like testing a car steering wheel to see if it falls off after a few thousand turns. Most steering wheels do not fall off.

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +3 more
Sh_la_m
Contributing MemberPosts: 502
Like?
pocketability - size compared to Olympus XA
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 5 months ago

Baggy pants are the key to pocketability, or maybe a man-bag. Sometimes it is so nice to be of the primary purse-carrying gender.

I was very happy to see that the new RX100 may be very similar in size to my old Olympus XA from the early 80's, when pants were baggier.  It definitely does not fit in my jeans-of-today pockets, but will happily fit in the side pocket of the cargos I hike in, the front waistband pocket of my Clik Elite Cloudspace backpack, a smallish purse, etc.

Olympus XA - 102x64.5x40mm, 225g

RX100iii (rumored) - 101.6×58.1×41.0 mm, 290g

I am not sure how much the "protrusions" add to the RX, but suspect it is enough to make it about the height of the little Oly. Just hope that extra 65g doesn't weigh me down…

ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong…..
In reply to DFPanno, 5 months ago

DFPanno wrote:

...in my experience.

Unless you tight wear jeans cut to accentuate your rear-end the rx100 is easliy pocketable.

Not everybody wears mom jeans you know 

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
technic
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 5 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Not anymore than a plethora of them inside a digital camera: retractable lens, pop up flash unit, articulating LCD (probably most demanding) and pop up or articulating EVF. They are designed for the purpose, and you only need one.

yes, but most of those move very little. I have a lot of experience with the inside from cameras, and flatcables that bend/turn repeatedly break down relatively often after prolonged use.

technic
Like?
Re: pocketability - size compared to Olympus XA
In reply to Sh_la_m, 5 months ago

Sh_la_m wrote:

Baggy pants are the key to pocketability, or maybe a man-bag. Sometimes it is so nice to be of the primary purse-carrying gender.

I was very happy to see that the new RX100 may be very similar in size to my old Olympus XA from the early 80's, when pants were baggier. It definitely does not fit in my jeans-of-today pockets, but will happily fit in the side pocket of the cargos I hike in, the front waistband pocket of my Clik Elite Cloudspace backpack, a smallish purse, etc.

I used an XA for a long time when I was young, alongside my Olympus OM gear. I never had baggy pants, so probably it was stored in a coat pocket; can't remember the size ever was a problem, so the RX100-3 should do fine

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,554Gear list
Like?
In reply to Altruisto, 5 months ago

Hope everyone has seen the real pics and specs on other threads.

I always clarify between a pants pocketable, and a jacket pocketable. Categorical difference to me.

I have a favorite winter coat, 4 big outside pockets, exist rx100 & new m3 will fit fine as it has for 2 winters, every day.

I have a favorite spring/fall jacket with 4 big outside pockets, same, both will fit, every day.

Which takes us to Summer, the active outdoor season without a jacket.

I have summer pants, baggy linen pants, loose jeans, shorts, most fit the rx100, (in or out of my pocket shaped dustproof case).

Pants pockets will be more of a challenge for the m3 when I get it, the extra depth 3/16" is the thickness of the control ring, easy to visualize that way.

My point is, you/we should think about pockets that make taking it with us everyday when buying a jacket for 3 seasons, and a few pairs of loose pocket pants and/or shorts for summer. Think of them as camera accessories.

At +20% weight, it probably will go over the comfortable weight even if it fits in a pants pocket. It may also pull your lightweight jacket awkwardly off to one side, I now often put my wallet, (always heavy with money of course), in the opposite jacket pocket for some balance. I can see m3 not being as easy for sure,

But, it will still be in the pants pocketable category (for some), certainly in the jacket pocket category for everyone, and nothing with a fixed lens it's size comes anywhere close to it's ability.

What I try to do is think how it would be if the m3 was the original miniature marvel? There would be lots of talk about how AMAZING the little wonder is.

The original, or m2 certainly are viable choices, used or new, and the price of those is getting down to a very appealing level, rather that their initial, 'what choice do I have' prices.

This sunglasses case has an ugly logo, (I like it, who would bother stealing it?) but the shape, size and material are wonderful for slipping in/out of a pants or jacket pocket.

It's not obvious, but you leave the wrist strap out of the zipped end of the case, it hangs at the ready for a quick draw, like a mouse tail, so you don't ever have to jam your hand in your pocket to get it out. It is natural to put it on your wrist, never to drop the slippery devil. The hook hangs on a pants loop or arm of a beach umbrella (above sand, water, and children. M3 will fit.

btw, looking at the pics, I think the lens is a bit smaller diameter, lowered in order to allow the flash behind so EVF could fit in flash original position.

Soooo, will existing filter adapters fit the new lens? MagFilter gives you a spare adhesive metal ring, I believe it will fit either size lens, not sure about Lensmate or Sony's adapters, never handled one.

My home-made extension tube might be too big, what a loss, hah. Well, there is duct tape.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Sh_la_m
Contributing MemberPosts: 502
Like?
Re: pocketability - size compared to Olympus XA (OT)

Let's hope that the rx100 III is just a good a photographic companion, and as much fun, as the XA was. Funny, I just a few weeks ago saw a guy using his XA and flash for street shooting in Manhattan. He was having a great time. And took a photo of my 20-something daughter. LOL.

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

technic wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

yes, but most of those move very little. I have a lot of experience with the inside from cameras, and flatcables that bend/turn repeatedly break down relatively often after prolonged use.

Retractable lens does so every time you turn camera on/off. I actually opened my Sony F828 out of curiosity a while ago, and noticed flatcables that are bent every time I use the swivel for LCD articulation... which is every time (now for more than ten years). Think laptop... everytime you lift the screen... and so on.

newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, 5 months ago

Robert Deutsch wrote:

0lf wrote:

The RX100 is already borderline pants pocketable. This one is simply not pocketable at all.

It was the main advantage of RX100 serie against GM1...

I routinely carry the RX100 in my shirt pocket. The Mk,II's additional weight and thickness put it in the questionable category for shirt-pocketability, which is one of the reasons for my staying with the Mk.I. The Mk. III ups the ante with some very worthwhile improvements--and an additional 2mm thickness. (An extra 9 g. is inconsequential.) If I want a small-but-not-shirtpocketable camera, I already have a GM-1. I'll have to see how it plays out.

Bob

Not sure what you're wearing for shirts, but I have no trouble getting the MkII into dress shirt pockets of various makes.  There's not a lot of room left over, but it works easily.  I had a MkI originally and nothing changed for me when I got the MkII.

YPMV...

John

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to newellj, 5 months ago

Follow-up thought - the difference I did notice between the MkI and the MkII was not the extra millimeter or two of depth but the weight increase.  Not a deal-killer but in the shirt pocket the difference was noticeable.  The MkIII seems to have added relatively little additional weight, which is nice.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Robert Garcia NYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
In reply to newellj, 5 months ago
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads