RX100 MK3 dimensions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Altruisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?
RX100 MK3 dimensions
3 months ago

According to the leaked specs today, the new camera dimensions are: 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm

It means that the camera has gained only 2,5mm of depth compared to RX100 MK2 (38,5mm), which have already gained 2,5mm compared to RX100 MK1 (36mm). Weight stays in the same ballpark 290g compared to 281g. I'm quite happy with the compromises that Sony have made: 24-70 f1.8-f2.8 with a decent EVF but barely bigger, so still pocketable. Hope the lens is good and the stabilization is improved, that should be a dream of a camera. Exciting times!

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
owning a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and a bunch of Nikon primes, a Nikon J1 but not particularly a Nikon fanboy, since I have an Olympus E-PL5, a Panasonic GX7, a Sony RX10, a Panasonic TZ60 and a Canon S110 too!

Canon PowerShot S110 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

A new LCD tilting mechanism and/or the EVF may have increased the thickness. Not exactly Canon S120 pocketable, but still should be quite pocketable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cheng Bao
Contributing MemberPosts: 943
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

The english unit is higher in height, about 3/32", which is 2.5mm too

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,807Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Cheng Bao, 3 months ago

But w such a sort lens ... limited use.

hardly a dream cam.

 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
It's amazing.
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

I agree it's exciting. Will be very expensive though, but since I recently sold my mark II for a good price, I may go for it.

Also worth adding that the make III has a built-in ND filter with 3 settings. Yet another very nice addition to the RX of tools. I also wonder if the BIONZ X will yield faster AF or any other improvements under the hood. We'll know soon I guess.

Can't wait to see some pics - how in the world are they squeezing an EVF inside without losing anything?

Altruisto wrote:

According to the leaked specs today, the new camera dimensions are: 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm

It means that the camera has gained only 2,5mm of depth compared to RX100 MK2 (38,5mm), which have already gained 2,5mm compared to RX100 MK1 (36mm). Weight stays in the same ballpark 290g compared to 281g. I'm quite happy with the compromises that Sony have made: 24-70 f1.8-f2.8 with a decent EVF but barely bigger, so still pocketable. Hope the lens is good and the stabilization is improved, that should be a dream of a camera. Exciting times!

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
owning a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and a bunch of Nikon primes, a Nikon J1 but not particularly a Nikon fanboy, since I have an Olympus E-PL5, a Panasonic GX7, a Sony RX10, a Panasonic TZ60 and a Canon S110 too!

 Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jason Reuschlein
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
Re: It's amazing.
In reply to Tapper123, 3 months ago

You have to wonder too how durable a pop-up EVF could be. You'd be pressing against it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,673
Like?
Re: It's amazing.
In reply to Jason Reuschlein, 3 months ago

Jason Reuschlein wrote:

You have to wonder too how durable a pop-up EVF could be. You'd be pressing against it.

Instead of popping up, it could be that the LCD can slide down to make way for the EVF, and the eye cup can pop out to make the EVF more than just a peeping hole. It can be more robust this way.

An exciting compact, i.e., if EVF is of decent quality and proportion. Wider and faster lens and ND are great improvements, too.

-- hide signature --

Maple

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
0lf
0lf
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

The RX100 is already borderline pants pocketable. This one is simply not pocketable at all.

It was the main advantage of RX100 serie against GM1...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to 0lf, 3 months ago

Realistically, the RX100 has never really been "jeans pocketable", unless you want to be uncomfortable. The Canon S series is easily jeans pocketable, while the RX100 series has been more of a khakis or shorts kinda pocketable.

Either way, at least it's not as large as the Canon G1X Mark II, which can barely fit in jacket pockets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tokumeino
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

Looks like an amazing small camera. But I owned a RX100 (original) and because of the lens, I considered it as pockettable, but a the limit. 5 more milimeters is not that much, but I'm afraid that those tiny 5mm make the MIII miss the "pocketable" feature. Too bad...

 tokumeino's gear list:tokumeino's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,686Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 3 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Either way, at least it's not as large as the Canon G1X Mark II, which can barely fit in jacket pockets.

and it is much lighter, which also makes quite a difference when it is dangling in a jacket pocket or on a belt clip.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,686Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

Altruisto wrote:

According to the leaked specs today, the new camera dimensions are: 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm

It means that the camera has gained only 2,5mm of depth compared to RX100 MK2 (38,5mm), which have already gained 2,5mm compared to RX100 MK1 (36mm). Weight stays in the same ballpark 290g compared to 281g. I'm quite happy with the compromises that Sony have made: 24-70 f1.8-f2.8 with a decent EVF but barely bigger, so still pocketable. Hope the lens is good and the stabilization is improved, that should be a dream of a camera. Exciting times!

fully agree, can't wait for the image samples. The new lens has a more ambitious construction (10 instead of 7 elements), so let's hope that indeed image quality (and IS performance) have improved. In that case this looks like a dream camera to me

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,040Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to 0lf, 3 months ago

0lf wrote:

The RX100 is already borderline pants pocketable. This one is simply not pocketable at all.

It was the main advantage of RX100 serie against GM1...

I routinely carry the RX100 in my shirt pocket.  The Mk,II's additional weight and thickness put it in the questionable category for shirt-pocketability, which is one of the reasons for my staying with the Mk.I.  The Mk. III ups the ante with some very worthwhile improvements--and an additional 2mm thickness. (An extra 9 g. is inconsequential.)  If I want a small-but-not-shirtpocketable camera, I already have a GM-1.  I'll have to see how it plays out.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,686Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to Robert Deutsch, 3 months ago

Robert Deutsch wrote:

0lf wrote:

The RX100 is already borderline pants pocketable. This one is simply not pocketable at all.

It was the main advantage of RX100 serie against GM1...

I routinely carry the RX100 in my shirt pocket. The Mk,II's additional weight and thickness put it in the questionable category for shirt-pocketability, which is one of the reasons for my staying with the Mk.I. The Mk. III ups the ante with some very worthwhile improvements--and an additional 2mm thickness. (An extra 9 g. is inconsequential.) If I want a small-but-not-shirtpocketable camera, I already have a GM-1. I'll have to see how it plays out.

Yes, both GM1 with 12-32 kit zoom and RX100-3 are small but not really 'pocketable'. Will be interesting to see how the lenses compare: the RX100 lens is two stops brighter, which could easily compensate for the smaller sensor if the lens performs. The Gm1 lens is pretty good for a compact zoom, hope the RX100-3 is at least the same (especially in the corners). For me the EVF and tilt screen on the RX100-3 is reason enough to prefer that camera, assuming the lens performs.

 technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to technic, 3 months ago

Hmmm.  I love my RX10.  I've been thinking about the RX100 series as a nice companion to be more pocketable than my beloved Fuji X100 for when I really want small but still very good IQ.  However, the new leaked specs don't add that much for me over the X100, so maybe that much slimmer RX100 (original) will see a nice price drop

I've addicted to a VF (EVF or a hybrid EVF/OVF), but if I can't easily slip the mIII in a pocket, it loses part of what makes it a "magic little camera" for me.  I can fit my Fuji X100 in a large pocket if I try.  Yes, it's bigger, but not by a lot and I don't have to lay out more cash for it either So, maybe a mI or mII would be for me....again, we'll all have to wait and see what it actually looks like.  I'm VERY interested to see what they did with the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BPD7
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to kwa_photo, 3 months ago

kwa_photo wrote:

Hmmm. I love my RX10. I've been thinking about the RX100 series as a nice companion to be more pocketable than my beloved Fuji X100 for when I really want small but still very good IQ. However, the new leaked specs don't add that much for me over the X100, so maybe that much slimmer RX100 (original) will see a nice price drop

I've addicted to a VF (EVF or a hybrid EVF/OVF), but if I can't easily slip the mIII in a pocket, it loses part of what makes it a "magic little camera" for me. I can fit my Fuji X100 in a large pocket if I try. Yes, it's bigger, but not by a lot and I don't have to lay out more cash for it either So, maybe a mI or mII would be for me....again, we'll all have to wait and see what it actually looks like. I'm VERY interested to see what they did with the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

Funny, I have the x100s. It's not that pocketable. I bought the Rx100 on a sale day for $400. I LOVE this little camera.  It's so pocketable. It's the perfect complement to my x100s, especially when going to a sports game or concert.

I really love what Sony has done with the Rx1003 but they have made it thicker so it it less pocketable than the original but still pocketable.

If I were you I would get the Rx1002 when prices drop some. I wish mine had wifi. I use a wifi SD card so that takes care of that.

 BPD7's gear list:BPD7's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Altruisto
Contributing MemberPosts: 771
Like?
Re: It's amazing.
In reply to Tapper123, 3 months ago

Tapper123 wrote:

I agree it's exciting. Will be very expensive though, but since I recently sold my mark II for a good price, I may go for it.

Also worth adding that the make III has a built-in ND filter with 3 settings. Yet another very nice addition to the RX of tools. I also wonder if the BIONZ X will yield faster AF or any other improvements under the hood. We'll know soon I guess.

Can't wait to see some pics - how in the world are they squeezing an EVF inside without losing anything?

Altruisto wrote:

According to the leaked specs today, the new camera dimensions are: 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm

It means that the camera has gained only 2,5mm of depth compared to RX100 MK2 (38,5mm), which have already gained 2,5mm compared to RX100 MK1 (36mm). Weight stays in the same ballpark 290g compared to 281g. I'm quite happy with the compromises that Sony have made: 24-70 f1.8-f2.8 with a decent EVF but barely bigger, so still pocketable. Hope the lens is good and the stabilization is improved, that should be a dream of a camera. Exciting times!

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
owning a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and a bunch of Nikon primes, a Nikon J1 but not particularly a Nikon fanboy, since I have an Olympus E-PL5, a Panasonic GX7, a Sony RX10, a Panasonic TZ60 and a Canon S110 too!

We hope the EVF mechanism is solid enough, if we intend to use it all the time.

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/altruisto/
http://www.facebook.com/tarekmradrtci
https://twitter.com/#!/tarekmrad
owning a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, and a bunch of Nikon primes, a Nikon J1 but not particularly a Nikon fanboy, since I have an Olympus E-PL5, a Panasonic GX7, a Sony RX10, a Panasonic TZ60 and a Canon S110 too!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?
Re: It's amazing.
In reply to Altruisto, 3 months ago

The pop up EVF appears to be similar to the pop up (non bouncing) built in flashes. It should be just as durable (the one on my S90 never has issues). Except I think there may be an extra step to pull the EVF out a bit.

Hope the official announcement clears things up!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaplan
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,029Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 MK3 dimensions
In reply to jonrobertp, 3 months ago

You know... I at first was saying the same thing to myself but then I realized. I recently went on s cruise. Each day I was out on another excursion. I brought with me my Nikon D800, 24-70, 70-200 & 2xTC.
I think I once had the 70-200 on the camera. Most of the time the 24-70 took everything I needed it to. Would I have used it of I didn't have to change lenses and the one on the camera had a longer focal length? Yes but at no point was it that big a deal especially if it was a camera I always had on me to capture those unexpected pictures that happen to come up.
I think I have come to appreciate that it will have an f/1.8-2.8 for better low light.
--
Michael Kaplan
http://www.pbase.com/mkaplan
See my profile for equipment list

 Michael Kaplan's gear list:Michael Kaplan's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D800 Samsung HZ30W Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,626Gear list
Like?
Wrong…..
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 3 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Realistically, the RX100 has never really been "jeans pocketable", unless you want to be uncomfortable. The Canon S series is easily jeans pocketable, while the RX100 series has been more of a khakis or shorts kinda pocketable.

Either way, at least it's not as large as the Canon G1X Mark II, which can barely fit in jacket pockets.

...in my experience.

Unless you tight wear jeans cut to accentuate your rear-end the rx100 is easliy pocketable.

 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads